Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (72864 Views)

FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education / Hnd/bsc Dichotomy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by idris4r83(m): 1:23pm On Aug 01, 2016
What do u expect from a president that only has Nepa bill as certificate
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by greggng: 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
This news is all over facebook. Although the post didn't go into more details. Yaba tech and kaduna poly re to be called city university henceforth. No more admission for hnd but existing hnd holder re still legal tender and equivalent to bsc. Other polytechnics will now offer nd and nce only and will be affiliated to nearby university. Is long time coming
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by ladyF(f): 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
idris4r83:
What do u expect from a president that only has Nepa bill as certificate
lol why evils!!! grin
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by mirakuru(m): 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
UIA04:

It's I'm not am

Mr. English
your purple lips are tempting
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by laryom1(m): 1:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
sagaciousblog:
Mr Man, your cerebrum should have also told you that there should be 'I' before your 'am'.... You can't even construct a sentence yet you condemn others.
he did construct not just a good one grin .....And "Cerebrum doesn't tell"
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by NairaMaster1(m): 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
faorex:
i don't know how u are feeling buh I never felt inferior because I am polytechnic student during my jamb days I passed jamb and post utme very well buh I was admitted for road transportation. mgt. when I was offered architecture(desired course)in the poly and I opted for my choice.... go and learn more and stop feeling bittered
Wise choice instead of Bsc in sociology
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Kamdex(m): 1:33pm On Aug 01, 2016
ak47yong:

See what am saying how can we be the same (sent nt send)
.....lolzzzzzz....Y cnt we b d same?....guy go 4 extra coachin of *Use of punctuations*
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by mayor2984(m): 1:35pm On Aug 01, 2016
It will be a good development if this news is true. I also read on whatsapp about two weeks ago. But why hasn't any Nigeria newspaper publish the news?
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by gloryman91: 1:36pm On Aug 01, 2016
Oya Omo poly ,EMA Jo EMA yo. But wait o were the job dey set?
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by EreluY(f): 1:38pm On Aug 01, 2016
Call it what you like, HND in the rest of the world is not at par with a Bachelor's degree. In the UK, if you hold an HND, you need to complete a further 120 units to earn a BA/Bsc Honours degree. Stop being deceived or else the reality will dawn on you much later in life.

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by biggie73(m): 1:44pm On Aug 01, 2016
Chimarto:
This won't stop my Direct Entry application.
...let Nigeria do her thing,please don't let anything hinder your dreams and goals. All the best.

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Qualcoms(m): 1:51pm On Aug 01, 2016
Fold my arms...cross my leg...pick a bottle of wine...let's watch the progress!!!
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by mcboyeson(m): 1:54pm On Aug 01, 2016
BREAKING NEWS: Govt scraps HNDs, merges polys with varsities
From Madu Onuorah, Abuja:
THE Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved a comprehensive reform of Nigeria's tertiary education system, scrapping the award of the Higher National Diploma (HND) by the nation's polytechnics.
In effect, the award of the HND will be limited to only the students currently admitted for the programmes.
Also, all the programmes currently being run by the polytechnics, which are not technology-based, and which are about 70 per cent,
will be scrapped.
Under the new rule, the polytechnics will now become campuses of the proximate universities with the Vice Chancellors of those
universities appointing provosts for the polytechnics, subject to the ratification of the Universities Councils.
The polytechnics will now be limited to award of the National Diploma (ND) while those desirous of further education will be awarded
the Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) by the proximate university.
To kick-start the new policy, the nation's two most prominent polytechnics - Yaba College of Technology and Kaduna Polytechnic -
will henceforth be known as City University of Technology, Yaba and City University of Technology, Kaduna.
And to give legal teeth to these approvals, the FEC approved the submission of two Executive bills to the National Assembly for enactment into law.
With education being on the concurrent list, the states may wish to consolidate their tertiary institutions. But if they do not wish to follow the federal example, their programmes will continue to be regulated by the relevant agencies of the Federal Ministry of Education.
The first bill will concretise the setting up of the two city universities while the second will approve the preparation and consolidation
of all federal polytechnics and colleges of education as campuses of proximate universities.
The Ministry of Justice will do the preparation and submission of the two bills to the National Assembly.
Minister of Education, Mall. Adamu, told journalists after the weekly meeting of the council that under the reform measures, her ministry would, however, continue to licence private polytechnics and colleges of education for the award of qualification at ND and National Certificate in Education (NCE) levels.
She said: "There will be no more award of HND.
After we have exhausted the current students under the programme, there will be no more award of HND. This means that there will be no fresh admission for HND programmes. And in addition, any programme that is not technical will be out of the polytechnics. About 70 per cent of polytechnic graduates are in the non-technical courses. It is going to be a rigorous implementation programme."
A ministerial committee to ensure the smooth implementation of all that is required for the take-off of the reform initiatives is to begin work immediately.
Mall. Adamu said: "The HND certificate will remain a legal tender in Nigeria and holders of such certificate will continue to be recognised as the equivalent of first degree holders without discriminatory remunerations and limit to progression in the work place.
The NCE certificate will be retained as the minimum teaching qualification at the basic level of education. Any higher qualifications by
these private or state-owned polytechnics will be only affiliation with a university. So, HND is no longer in existence, but existing HND will be respected and considered legal tender."
The council also approved the Federal Government's formal take-over of the Waziri Umaru Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi, which will be the College of Technology campus of the Othman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto, as well as the Hussein Adamu Polytechnic, Kazaure,
Bauchi, which will be a College of Technology of the proximate university in the state.
Also, the Alvan Ikoku College of Education, Owerri, Imo State, has been taken over as a campus of the Federal University of
Technology, Owerri.
A state that had never had any federal institution, like Bayelsa, is to have a College of Technology as a campus of the College of Technology of the University of Port Harcourt.
Also, Bali, in Taraba State, is to have a college of technology as a campus of the proximate university.

2 Likes

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Qualcoms(m): 1:56pm On Aug 01, 2016
http://ngspeaker.com/2016/07/31/breaking-news-fg-scraps-hnds-merges-polytechnics-with-universities Check out this...maybe this directive gotta be better...compared to the initial topic of the thread...
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by HirstMOG(m): 2:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
what difference does it makes? will that improve the decayed state our schools will that create employment for our youths will that stop the corruption that has eaten deep into the heart of the government Jesus Christ said rejoice not that I said you should be born again.
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Rexology: 2:06pm On Aug 01, 2016
EreluY:
Call it what you like, HND in the rest of the world is not at par with a Bachelor's degree. In the UK, if you hold an HND, you need to complete a further 120 units to earn a BA/Bsc Honours degree. Stop being deceived or else the reality will dawn on you much later in life.
That is IF you did less credit unit courses in HND. UK have a required unit one must complete, so if after evaluating your units from your transcript and you meet up with the required units, you are good to go as a HND holder.
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Yabsun(m): 2:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
We can offer those exact things the likes of you can't offer the society. U hide under Bsc n yet empty upstairs. Hmm, likes of crucify HND holder for poor grammar. I can c bomb in just little comment of yours. Coconut head! grin

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Respect55(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
chudyprince:
i petty an inconsiderate idiot like you

It is PITY not PETTY.Des HND holders, na una dey fall una hand
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by UIA04(f): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
mirakuru:
your purple lips are tempting
Lol. Unfortunately all you can do is stare
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Yabsun(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
We can offer those exact things the likes of you can't offer the society. U hide under Bsc n yet empty upstairs. Hmm, likes of u crucify HND holder for poor grammar. I can c bomb in just little comment of yours. Coconut head! grin

1 Like

Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by chiefmidwife: 2:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
faorex:
Breaking News: HND/BSc Dichotomy Removed.

At last, it is with excitement, capital joy amidst jubilation and celebration of over 20 years struggle of Nigerian Polytechnic students and graduates including the staff unions and heads of Polytechnic in Nigeria.

I am pleased to announce to the public that the COUNCIL OF ESTABLISHMENT which comprises of all the head of service of the 36 States of the Federation and the head of service of the Federation approved the removal of this long overdue dichotomy which hinder the career progression of HND holders in civil service in her meeting held in Minna Niger state capital during the week after an exhaustive deliberation, pro and anti deposition which ended with tie vote of 16 against 16 while the head of service of the Federation voted in support as presiding officer after the tie, to earn the Polytechnic sector the victory.

Making the vote 17 pro against 16 anti. Henceforth, This resolution automatically lift embargo on HND holder career progression in civil service as the holder can now rise beyond Deputy Director in civil service as well enjoy all sort of benefits/promotion to the topmost rank due to BSc holders in civil service.

It is on record that this same Council was the sole obstacle for this struggle since year 2005 when President Olusegun Obasanjo pronounced the removal of this dichotomy, the Council called the then president statement a mere pronouncement with out documentation and refused it adoption nor implementation.

It will be recalled that the last meeting of the council which was held at Ilorin kwara state capital witness heavy presence of Nigeria Polytechnic students which I personally led as the National Senate President of NAPS to the council in protest for the need for the council to reconsider her position on the said matter.

A position paper was submitted after the protest as demanded by the then head of service of Federation who was the chairman of the Council, unfortunately, the matter was completely discussed nor concluded at Ilorin until now in her next meeting in Niger state.

The Council often meets every 3 years, On behalf of the entire West Africa Polytechnic students and most especially the Nigeria Polytechnic students, I express sincere gratitude to the head of service of states and that of the Federation who stood for us and with us, the Federal Ministry of Education, the National Board for Technical Education NTBE, Council of Head of Polytechnic and Colleges of Technology COHEADS, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic ASUP, past and present leadership of National Association Of Polytechnic Students NAPS and by extension the Nigerians Union of journalist for their support all through the struggle.

We look forward for immediate implementation by all state of the Federation, Federal government agencies and departments while I call on all Polytechnic student to join us as we Commence appreciation/celebration.

Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta,
No retreat no surrender,
As long as we live, struggle continues. #OluwaLoniGlory#

http://tribuneonlineng.com/national-council-establishment-resolves-universitypolytechnic-dichotomy/
Guy..do you know anything about nursing
Internship,placement etc
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by tens4real(m): 2:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
chudyprince:
i petty an inconsiderate idiot like you
it is pity not PETTY
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by don4real18(m): 2:16pm On Aug 01, 2016
ak47yong:

Criticising someone else when you can't make a proper sentence either (referring to your punctuation).... Let us know what you have given to the society as a degree holder
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by bayulll011(m): 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2016
faorex:
I am polytechnic student the president of my department send that to me and I felt its educative

U are very shallow minded,u can't even understand what u posted there,are u saying hnd in accounting now equal bsc in accounting Capital NO,they only elevated HND technology to B.tech,and that's for technological schools,not Mapoly that churn out hnd in social science and u equate it with bsc,get ur fact right pls
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by imrany20(m): 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2016
ak47yong:

You should be ashamed of yourself comment a sentence you cannot construct. Wise up bro
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by imrany20(m): 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2016
ak47yong:

You should be ashamed of yourself comment a simple sentence you cannot construct. Wise up bro
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by mamachizzy(f): 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2016
Naija jobs na who know who. If u like hold any cert u like!!
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
ak47yong:
Socrates
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by handie(m): 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
All this one na story. HND can never equate a BSC. From the course contents to the quality of instructional materials, it's just soo obvious they ain't @ par and no government whitepaper can change that.
Over 65% of employed Nigerians(who ain't self employed) are in the private sector and majority of those firms will always prefer a second class upper bsc degree to an HND distinction. Abi na govt wan tell me who I go employ?
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by imrany20(m): 2:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
Vick4rill:
i dont know why polytechnic student too dey vex, anytime they say university is better than them?? take it or leave it.in this country university certificate is more valuable than polytechnics, if u dnt like it go hug transformer!!
You are an Educated Illiterate.
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by EreluY(f): 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2016
Rexology:

That is IF you did less credit unit courses in HND. UK have a required unit one must complete, so if after evaluating your units from your transcript and you meet up with the required units, you are good to go as a HND holder.

Stop yapping about what you don't know. If you hold an HND qualification - no mater the number of units completed to earn it, if the final award is HND, you need 120 credits to earn a bachelor's degree.

Read this information culled from www.propects.ac.uk (a website which provides academic and professional career guide)

"While the work-based skills gained from a Higher National Diploma (HND) can lead directly to a career, many students use it as a stepping stone to an honours degree. Equivalent to the second year of a Bachelors degree, these vocational qualifications are usually studied full time for two years (or three years part time), preparing you for a career in a specific industry, such as engineering, business, hospitality, computer science, design or health and social care.

As HND courses are designed with particular job sectors in mind, the practical, skills-focused programme will give you a level of expertise that is valued by employers and some professional bodies.

Should I 'top up' to a degree?
It all depends on the career path you wish to take. If you want to apply for a graduate scheme or graduate-level job, you'll usually need to complete a degree - which is why most HND graduates decide to 'top up'.

Because the HND is a high-level qualification, it does give exemption from certain professional examinations; but you'll need to check which ones. For example, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) makes HND holders exempt from some foundation exams.

Before you make a decision:

check to see if your HND can get you into your chosen career with our job profiles;
work out if you can afford to study for a degree;
discuss your options with a careers adviser.
What are my options for further study?
You can use your HND to transfer onto the first, second or third year of a Bachelors degree, depending on how relevant it is to your degree. Acceptance into the final year is more likely if you've studied a similar subject and have a good academic history. You'll probably have to start in the first year if your chosen degree subject differs drastically from your HND. Contact your chosen university in advance of your application to determine the exact year of entry.

To move on to a degree course, you must apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) a year before the programme begins."

Don't allow idiots governing Nigeria mislead you. If you do, you might one day face the reality. Then, it would be too late.
Re: HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment by firstking01(m): 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2016
BSC holders be trembling cos of this since the time immemorial.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

WAEC Supervisor Assaults Female Muslim Candidate / School Fee Schedule For Covenant University 2016 / David Oyedepo's Faith Academy Secondary Schools In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.