Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) (26728 Views)

Lets Learn Sewing / Call On Us For A Responsive Online Fashion Store Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 9:13am On Jul 31, 2016
Needle and thread
Machine needles are selected according to the weight and features of the fabric as well as the thread that are use in garment construction.
A needle should be fine enough to penetrate through the fabric without any damages done to the fabric in question and doesn't damage the thread.
Needles come in different sizes
Regular sharp needles: ideal for mostly woven fabrics due to its ability to produce even stitching with minimum puckering.
Ball point needle: slightly rounded tip reconmended for knit fabrics and stretch fabrics as the needle pushes between the fabrics instead of piercing them.. (in sizes 9-16)
Wedge point needle: this needle has been specifically designed for leather and vinyl

Needles should be chosen with great care for each fabric because not all needles can see all fabrics.
Care should be taken to prevent the needle from being damages. A blunt isn't fit to sew.

Threads are also of different types
Natural thread (cotton and silk)
Synthetic thread .
Study this diagram about the choice of choosing the right thread and needle for the right fabrics.

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 9:14am On Jul 31, 2016
Don't worry we are getting there, read through and let's ask question before we jump to our next topic

How to get accurate body Measurements
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by ugolistic(f): 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
Following wink
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by saranice: 5:02pm On Jul 31, 2016
I am really enjoying this class. Can i ask a question pls? Ok thanks for saying yes. My butterfly black sewing machine stopped stitching i applied all that you advised but still. Pls help me what else can i do?
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 6:22pm On Jul 31, 2016
saranice:
I am really enjoying this class. Can i ask a question pls? Ok thanks for saying yes. My butterfly black sewing machine stopped stitching i applied all that you advised but still. Pls help me what else can i do?

How old is your sewing machine?
Is it the upper thread or the lower thread?
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by saranice: 12:27am On Aug 01, 2016
princessrahy:

How old is your sewing machine?
Is it the upper thread or the lower thread?

A new SM not even up to 2months both up and down
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 8:24am On Aug 01, 2016
Then I think you have to seek a professional service. Change the needle I do use 14, 16, 18, depending on the fabric I am using, so use a plain fabric and see if it works of not, seek a professional service
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by saranice: 1:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
princessrahy:
Then I think you have to seek a professional service. Change the needle I do use 14, 16, 18, depending on the fabric I am using, so use a plain fabric and see if it works of not, seek a professional service
ok i will thanks a million
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by dashintrends: 4:33pm On Aug 01, 2016
am in. good job on the detailed lectures!
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 5:23pm On Aug 01, 2016
Measurements Taking
This is is one of the greatest important aspect of fashion designing. If there is a creative designer with out knowledge on accurate measurements, it is a like a car without petrol.
So measurement is very important and we must be accurate as possible.
There is the body measurement and garment measurement, both are very important.
Body measurment is taken before garment construction while garment measurement is taken while construction.
Important parts for measurement
Front length
Centre front lenght
Shoulder to waistline
Shoulder lenght
Bust circumference
Waist circumference
Hip circumference
Crotch depth
Knee circumference
Ankle circumference
Sleeve lenght
Bicep circumference
Elbow circumference
Wrist circumference.
A style a fashion designer has in mind will determine the measurement needed.
You are free to ask questions if any of these measurements is not being under stood.

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
To make the measurements explanation better, let us talk about the bust, a few of us might have issue with it.
One must measure professionally in order to get a professional finish.
Bust measurement is divided into three part
Upper bust
Main bust
Under bust
And each of them is being measured in twos
The length
The circumference.
Let us start this way
The upper bust: to measure the length, we placed a tape measure from the shoulder down to the upper part of the bust. The circumference is by measuring the width of the upper bust. (putting the tape round the upper bust)
The bust is the fullest part of the bust, it is usually more than the upper and the lower bust. We then measure from shoulder down to the fullest part (that way, we have measure the.length) to measure the circumference is by putting the tape round this side of the bust.
The lower is usually where the bra stops where one has a bra on. I believe we all know how to measure the length and circumference by now.

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by saranice: 10:10pm On Aug 01, 2016
Excellent lecture thanks a millions i have discovered a lot. More grease and grace to your life.

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 11:43pm On Aug 01, 2016
good job here, please MA, for clarifying purpose just like we have a diagram of anatomy of sewing machine fully labelled, can you please upload a diagram of a baby doll that can fully label all those particular points to take measurements ,?
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 11:47pm On Aug 01, 2016
secondly the measuring tape,i notice that it has 2 ways calibrated in inches and meters or so? what side of the measuring tape rule do I use to take the measurements?? a diagram to symbolize, this part of taperule to use will be well appreciated ma
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 11:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
thirdly ma'am, that very paper that you posted to study for chosing right needle and thread for right fabrics appears to be very blunt and not clear to read, can you please repost the paper again MA? especially the first one you posted. thank you!
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 8:08am On Aug 02, 2016
Some do use the meters for measurement but here in this part of the world, we usually measure by inches.
I tried sending the picture yesterday but was unable .to, but i.will try again today before we continue our lessons.
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 8:11am On Aug 02, 2016
Let's start with this

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 8:21am On Aug 02, 2016
Shoulder /back measurement :
sleeve measurement
Underbust
Hip

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by shemy: 3:26pm On Aug 02, 2016
Interesting class. Please, how often should the sewing machine be oiled, and which part are necessary. Thanks
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2016
good evening MA, please the following are not very cleared to me,and I don't seem to get it, taking 1.upper bust.measurement both length and circumference 2. main bust measurement by length and circumference. I will prefer to have the illustrations in an understandable diagram format, just like you explained that of under bust with diagram clearly ma
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 11:24pm On Aug 02, 2016
and again Ma'am, I still want you to please do me a favour of re -posting that paper work that illustrates the choice of right needle, and right threads to use for correct choice of fabrics .the previous one you posted appears to be very blunt ,i can't read them very clearly, I so much appreciated your efforts MA,

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 11:30am On Aug 03, 2016
You can oil your machine after doing a few major works, or anytime you have used it for so long.

You oil every corners and every where that moves just a drop of oil.

Under bust
Full bust
Upper bust

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 5:01pm On Aug 03, 2016
following closely,
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Dmflow: 9:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
dis is gettin interesting
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Dmflow: 9:51pm On Aug 03, 2016
what size of needle is good 4 sewing a stretch fabrics?
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by deiikonac(m): 11:55am On Aug 04, 2016
expand your sewing venture into an international finishing and embroidery studio, call us , try visit https://www.nairaland.com/3151045/two-head-computer-embroidery-machine#48178102

Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Kemiawo2004(f): 5:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
still waiting for answere to my second request ma
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by ardeypearlz(f): 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
I'm so so in!! smiley smiley @princessrahy
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by Prettiepearlz(f): 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
ardeypearlz:
I'm so so in!! smiley smiley @princessrahy
Ardey I sight you dearkiss
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by yangzee2(m): 1:14am On Aug 05, 2016
Yes am in being really want to learns fashion design and especially styling
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by saranice: 3:16am On Aug 05, 2016
following ma
Re: Let's Learn Sewing(tohimah Online Fashion School) by princessrahy(f): 6:24pm On Aug 05, 2016
Kemiawo2004:
still waiting for answere to my second request ma

Will do that soon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Imelda James Wins Miss Health Beauty Pageant / Queen Celestine Represents Nigeria At The 63rd Annual MISS UNIVERSE® Pageant / Albino! Nigerian Albino Beauty ♥♥

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.