Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,982 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (49150 Views)

6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe / Some Endangered Yoruba Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by bigfrancis21: 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
YourNemesis:

Lagos is actually a linguistically weak Yoruba city. A good proportion of Yorubas in Lagos themselves can't speak the language well like a true native should. All other Yoruba settlements however are repping 100%, including those all around Lagos.
There are also Igbos in the North, but I think Yoruba as a whole manifests itself more in Nigerian popular culture than any other lingo.
I think this is because Yorubas share both conservative linguistic/cultural tendencies and western wider/global outlook, which gives them the ability to (1) retain their language and keep it virile (2) propagate it by infusing it into progressive western motivated culture.

Lagos may be linguistically weak in Yoruba due to urbanization and the presence of other tribes and foreign nationals living in it especially in the high-end expensive areas, however in certain areas of it the language is still there for non-Yorubas to pick up if they are interested. Looking back at history, Yoruba may hold sway in the Nigerian music industry because Lagos is the centre of it all, the very place where early Nigerian-style music started from. Being a Yoruba-speaking state, it was easy to infuse Yoruba elements here and there into songs produced which sold all over Nigeria, which spread the knowledge of those words nationwide. Just as Igbos hold sway in the movie production aspect of Nigeria, movies of which are popular all over Nigeria, Africa, Caribbean etc., it is common to meet other Africans who know words such as Igwe, Nna anyi, biko etc.

One thing I do know about Yorubas is their affinity for their culture and more tendency to hold on to or retain their culture anywhere. A few times I've seen a Yorubas here in the US speaking their language loudly without much care. They take pride in their language. It is a good characteristic. However, the survival of Ifa in Brazil and co. is mainly because Yoruba slaves arrived South America as indentured servants (indentured servants had more rights and were often paid for their work) mostly at the end of the slave trade in the late 18th century after the slave trade had been officially abolished, leaving them much freedom and allowance to practice their culture than the earlier slaves that arrived at the peak of slave trade (when slave masters forcibly eliminated all traces of their culture and they were forced to acculturate to their new environment). Being the last of tribes to arrive, their connection to their culture was the strongest. Yoruba slaves arrived south america to meet other slaves, majority born there compared to the foreign-born Yorubas, who had long been acculturated to their new environment with little or no connection to their African roots. To them, the introduction of Ifa by Yorubas served as a connection to 'mama Africa', which still continues till today.

In all, the Nigerian music industry has been long influenced by Yoruba language. P Square, during an interview, once said that, as an uprising artiste back in the early 2000s, one would have to sing a song or two or add Yoruba words to one's songs for it to sell, and they did sing one or two songs with Yoruba lyrics such as 'ore mi', 'kolo', etc. However, I've noticed that as these musicians rise to fame they switch to their original language and Pidgin as they realize they no longer need to sing in Yoruba for the fame since they are now famous. As P Square became famous, we had Igbo songs from them such as 'Ifunanya', 'Beautiful Onyinye', 'Bunie ya enu', etc. with occasional songs with Yoruba once in a while. This shows how influential Yoruba was back then in the 2000s. However, I do think that in recent times the influence of Yoruba on the Nigerian music industry has waned. With the way things are now, upcoming artistes nowadays do not need to sing in Yoruba to be famous. Artistes such as Flavour, Phyno, Nigga Raw, Zoro etc. from the eastern side are popular artistes in Nigeria who grew to fame by singing mostly in Igbo. Not only Igbo artistes, even some Yoruba ones too. Korede Bello is a Yoruba artiste (correct me if I'm wrong) who grew to fame without the Yoruba influence by singing mostly in pidgin, and especially who grew under the tutelage of Don Jazzy. Adaobi, which Korede Bello featured in, grew the guy to fame.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Hemanwel(m): 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2016
wizzakosh:
we respect ppl, God himself knws that. But if u don't respect urself, then take what comes to u. So when she talked jargons about him just cos she wants to make money, he should prostrate for her cos we have respect. U no use ur sense b4 u talk. Have u ever bent down to great ur parent or any elderly person b4?. we were thought in such manner unlike you ppl. But if u cross ur boundary, we will drag u in the mug. Get that. Ur linda was the reason wizzy boy dragged her in the mug.
Bros,we are still saying the same thing.Your point is emphasizing on my position,which I deduced from your kinsman's post that your respect for elders in Yorubland is conditional

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by bigfrancis21: 3:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
YourNemesis:
The funniest part of it all, is that these days most Nigerians use 20-25% Yoruba words in their everyday pidgin and language usage without even knowing it.

20 - 25% is an overstretch. Overall, these popular words listed on this thread may not be more than 1 or 2% of the entire Yoruba vocabulary. A speaker of Pidgin, from Warri for example, even with all these words listed on this thread would still not understand Yoruba when spoken.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Hemanwel(m): 3:52pm On Jul 26, 2016
samblack:
I think its a general knowledge that respect is reciprocal
Since "it's a general knowledge that respect is reciprocal",why then do you people attach "respect" to be exclusively of the Yorubas?
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by bigfrancis21: 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2016
Codedrock:

http://yorubaparapo.com/thread/572/yoruba-words-phrases-mainstream

Some of these words listed are not Yoruba. For example, wahala is not yoruba. Baba is not Yoruba as well. Baba originates from India where it is used to refer to 'sir', just as we use it in Nigeria. It has hinduist/Islamic influence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_(honorific). Alibaba.com is a popular website owned by a Chinese man.

'Keke' also is not Yoruba. The tricycle originates from India where it is called Bajaj or Keke and imported into Nigeria. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gasoline-KEKE_60272954462.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.UPyV43&s=p

Moreover, most of these words are more popular in the Pidgin spoken in Lagos. The Pidgin spoken in the SE and SS, for example PH, Warri etc. has much less of these words and more words from the native languages in the area. For example, in Lagos while people would commonly say Okada in Pidgin, in the SE, people would say 'Inaga' instead. 'Inaga' in Igbo means, 'are you going?', which is literally used to refer to commercial motorbikes.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by totit: 4:30pm On Jul 26, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Some of these words listed are not Yoruba. For example, wahala is not yoruba. Baba is not Yoruba as well. Baba originates from India where it is used to refer to 'sir', just as we use it in Nigeria. It has hinduist/Islamic influence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_(honorific). Alibaba.com is a popular website owned by a Chinese man.

'Keke' also is not Yoruba. The tricycle originates from India where it is called Bajaj or Keke. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gasoline-KEKE_60272954462.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.UPyV43&s=p

Moreover, most of these words are more popular in the Pidgin spoken in Lagos. The Pidgin spoken in the SE and SS, for example PH, Warri etc. has much less of these words and more words from the native languages in the area. For example, in Lagos while people would commonly say Okada in Pidgin, in the SE, people would say 'Inaga' instead. 'Inaga' in Igbo means, 'are you going?', which is literally used to refer to commercial motorbikes.

You dude, you high no be small sha!

So, because baba is use is also being use in India,from your reasoning and conclusion it's now means that it originated from India ?

Na wa for you seasoning.
Some languages, words share similarity.

Baba means : Father, an elderly person in yoruba land/language..abeg undecided

Mr man the word " keke" in yoruba language means " bicycle ". It just so happened that that the adopted modern word for "Tricycle" in yoruba language and to relate with the word" tricycle" hence it doesn't mean the word "keke" isn't yoruba bro.

Get your fact right abeg cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by haffaze777(m): 4:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
ayyoshert:

thank you my bro, that is what i quickly want to tell him that Gbedu is a type of big drum used for big festival in Yoruba land and mostly the 'OMO' tree is used in carving the drum, the yoruba proverb goes- 'opo igi ni nbe nigbo ki a to fi igi OMO gbe Gbedu' translated there are lots of tree in the forest, but only the Omo tree can be used to carve Gbedu drums.
Problem is that there are lots of youngsters on internet platforms that make all manners of statements without really knowing much, it makes people like me to want to keep off and rather watch.

Thanks for dis,I couldn't have said it better

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by absky5(m): 5:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
Hemanwel:
Like when Wizkid,25,respected Linda Ikeji,35,right?Why always speaking with both sides of your mouth?Your hypocrisy in Yoruba land stinks to high heavens!
God!!!! Are u blind or what Cos he said a " well trained Yoruba boy" and am sure u can't call wizkid that......Abeg swerve go left.....
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Hemanwel(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
absky5:
God!!!! Are u blind or what Cos he said a " well trained Yoruba boy" and am sure u can't call wizkid that......Abeg swerve go left.....
You were all running your mouths supporting his childish rants against an older person.He even went ahead threatening to beat her up.Now you want me to believe he's not well-trained...This is still hypocrisy,bro!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Codedrock(m): 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2016
bigfrancis21:

'Keke' also is not Yoruba. The tricycle originates from India where it is called Bajaj or Keke. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gasoline-KEKE_60272954462.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.UPyV43&s=p

Lmao.. Pls tell me the yoruba word for father Pls?

Tell me the yoruba word for a bike Pls.. ..??

Because India Use same words with us doesn't mean they created it. Do your research Pls... ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by manie(m): 6:25pm On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:
Nice

But please don't claim pidgin words as yoruba.

SONG IN YORUBA IS ORIN

GBEDU is pidgin

Thanks

Ajebo gotten from Ajebutter is also pidgin

Then again, wahala is hausa which further derived from wahl an
arabic word which means trouble.

Gbedu is the name of a type of drum in Yorubaland, modern day usage of the word Gbedu by Yorubas means beats, sound or music.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by pasol4real(m): 7:06pm On Jul 26, 2016
omofunaab:

Why should we leave paradise and go to the wilderness when your brothers are running here everyday to come and hustle. ...
Lol,
Abeg which one is paradise ogun ,osun,ondo oyo or ekiti......... grin
The only place in the ss or se that that this places cud measure up with is bayelsa the rest of the ss n se are far better than any of the south wasted region.
As for Lagos pls don't even go there cos Lagos is a no man's land grin,and igbos owns more than 60% of the properties there.
N pls stop churning out excuses for u ppl's laziness.
America China Britain southafrica n the rest of the developed nations leaves the comforts of their zones n invade poor African terrritories in search of greener pastures n further developments.so I donot see any reason why u lots should not do the same if of course uve got what it takes .
The Yorubas are so limited n are neither industrious nor adventurous.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by omofunaab(m): 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
pasol4real:

Lol,
The only place in the ss or se that that this places cud measure up with is bayelsa the rest of the ss n se are far better than any of the south wasted region.
As for Lagos pls don't even go there cos Lagos is a no man's land grin,and igbos owns more than 60% of the properties there.
America China Britain southafrica n the rest of the developed nations leaves the comforts of their zones n invade poor African terrritories in search of greener pastures n further developments.so I donot see any reason why u lots should not do the same if of course uve got what it takes .

Lol, recite what you wrote up there inside your hand and put it inside ur ear. ...see if it makes sense

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by pasol4real(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
[quote author=omofunaab post=47912829]

Lol, recite what you wrote up there inside your hand and put it inside ur ear. ...see if it makes sense [/quote
Of course I don't expect it to make sense to u ,cos u know its the truth.
Truth after all they say is bitter.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by YourNemesis: 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
pasol4real:

Lol,

lol lies, are you telling us that the igbo man selling gala and lacasera in traffic, or the ones selling pirated CDs in Akure, or the ones littering the streets in Ibadan are there because they decided to leave the "comfort" of their home states to sufer in the West doing substandard jobs? Lmao.
Yorubas are both Industrious and Adventurous, the fact that we are not in Owerri, Nnewi or Abakaliki hustling, does not mean we don;t travel to hustle.... Only to better places though.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by omofunaab(m): 7:25pm On Jul 26, 2016
[quote author=pasol4real post=47912950][/quote]

Don't worry ambode will soon relocate your brothers back to your village then we will know who truly owns Lagos.. As for the whole of south east being better than south west. .Even your highly hyped anambra is planning to be the third most industrialized state after Lagos and ogun. ..anambra hasn't even gotten to where oyo state is... ..I don't blame you sha, I blame those your uncles that return to abakaliki during Christmas after having hawked gala and sold fan yogo on the streets of abeokuta. ...they are the ones lieing to you of how they developed south west

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by supereagle(m): 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
Jare and jara
put jara
stay away jare.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by KangaIye: 7:39pm On Jul 26, 2016
Ekaale O
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by lawani: 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
If you say wahala is not Yoruba, then alafia, alubarika are not Yoruba as well. Those words are part of Yoruba vocabulary and from there to pidgin. They came from Arabic probably but it is said that the Arabs too use our word for horse which is eshin but spelt differently. Arabic is more popular because of Islam but our language too should be revitalised and modernised to make the world more beautiful and interesting.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by youngest85(m): 8:08pm On Jul 26, 2016
funmijoyb:
shut up there ....u r not yoruba
Gbedu is a yoruba drum built frm gbedu tree (how can gbedu b pidgin?
uses ur agama flat thing

This is wat happends wen u av MSD in yoruba

Meanwhilly, d tree is not gbedu but gedu
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Kaysalas(m): 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2016
Abeg enlighten me: the word "garri" has its origin from where?
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by pasol4real(m): 9:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
omofunaab:

Don't worry ambode will soon relocate your brothers back to your village then we will know who truly owns Lagos.. As for the whole of south east being better than south west. .Even your highly hyped anambra is planning to be the third most industrialized state after Lagos and ogun. ..anambra hasn't even gotten to where oyo state is... ..I don't blame you sha, I blame those your uncles that return to abakaliki during Christmas after having hawked gala and sold fan yogo on the streets of abeokuta. ...they are the ones lieing to you of how they developed south west
For ur info I was born n bred in the heart of Lagos (surulere) my father is amongst those that developed Lagos.
That a part of ogun state is industrrialised with foreign factories n what have u does not mean ogun state is developed . I Worked with a football club that is domiciled in sagamu ,n we play in the nigerian league thus I hav bin opportuned to travel round the south west n Nigeria at large.
So believe me when I tell u that after the north east the least developed region is the south west (excluding Lagos of course bin a no man's land)
As for ambode chasing igbos away (assumming it was possible)that's really funny
Cos he still enjoys the fat igr he gets from the igbos.
Wonder what wud happen to Lagos igr if 60% of its occupants leave.
Food for thought, just food for thought.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by LaExpert: 9:47pm On Jul 26, 2016
Adagba01:
This writer is half-truthful cos many words here were copied from Hausa language. In everyday activities, Yorubas can't stop using many phases derived from Hausa language...ALUBARIKA, SERIKI, etc.

All from the Arabic language, adopted by Hausas and Yorubas.

There's no fuss about that.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by omofunaab(m): 10:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
pasol4real:

For ur info I was born n bred in the heart of Lagos (surulere) my father is amongst those that developed Lagos.
That a part of ogun state is industrrialised with foreign factories n what have u does not mean ogun state is developed . I Worked with a football club that is domiciled in sagamu ,n we play in the nigerian league thus I hav bin opportuned to travel round the south west n Nigeria at large.
So believe me when I tell u that after the north east the least developed region is the south west (excluding Lagos of course bin a no man's land)
As for ambode chasing igbos away (assumming it was possible)that's really funny
Cos he still enjoys the fat igr he gets from the igbos.
Wonder what wud happen to Lagos igr if 60% of its occupants leave.
Food for thought, just food for thought.

Your being born in Lagos state only makes you a resident and not an indigene.. ..
If fashola could deport your uncles back to anambra, why can't ambode deport you and your dad back to your village if you become nuisance in yoruba land.. .Before Lagos state used to appoint you guys as commissioners in the state but in a bid to check your excesses, all that have changed.. .when your father was coming from the village.. Did he bring money to Lagos to come and develop it.. .igbo ingrate

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Noneroone(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lagos may be linguistically weak in Yoruba due to urbanization and the presence of other tribes and foreign nationals living in it especially in the high-end expensive areas, however in certain areas of it the language is still there for non-Yorubas to pick up if they are interested. Looking back at history, Yoruba may hold sway in the Nigerian music industry because Lagos is the centre of it all, the very place where early Nigerian-style music started from. Being a Yoruba-speaking state, it was easy to infuse Yoruba elements here and there into songs produced which sold all over Nigeria, which spread the knowledge of those words nationwide. Just as Igbos hold sway in the movie production aspect of Nigeria, movies of which are popular all over Nigeria, Africa, Caribbean etc., it is common to meet other Africans who know words such as Igwe, Nna anyi, biko etc.

One thing I do know about Yorubas is their affinity for their culture and more tendency to hold on to or retain their culture anywhere. A few times I've seen a Yorubas here in the US speaking their language loudly without much care. They take pride in their language. It is a good characteristic. However, the survival of Ifa in Brazil and co. is mainly because Yoruba slaves arrived South America as indentured servants (indentured servants had more rights and were often paid for their work) mostly at the end of the slave trade in the late 18th century after the slave trade had been officially abolished, leaving them much freedom and allowance to practice their culture than the earlier slaves that arrived at the peak of slave trade (when slave masters forcibly eliminated all traces of their culture and they were forced to acculturate to their new environment). Being the last of tribes to arrive, their connection to their culture was the strongest. Yoruba slaves arrived south america to meet other slaves, majority born there compared to the foreign-born Yorubas, who had long been acculturated to their new environment with little or no connection to their African roots. To them, the introduction of Ifa by Yorubas served as a connection to 'mama Africa', which still continues till today.

In all, the Nigerian music industry has been long influenced by Yoruba language. P Square, during an interview, once said that, as an uprising artiste back in the early 2000s, one would have to sing a song or two or add Yoruba words to one's songs for it to sell, and they did sing one or two songs with Yoruba lyrics such as 'ore mi', 'kolo', etc. However, I've noticed that as these musicians rise to fame they switch to their original language and Pidgin as they realize they no longer need to sing in Yoruba for the fame since they are now famous. As P Square became famous, we had Igbo songs from them such as 'Ifunanya', 'Beautiful Onyinye', 'Bunie ya enu', etc. with occasional songs with Yoruba once in a while. This shows how influential Yoruba was back then in the 2000s. However, I do think that in recent times the influence of Yoruba on the Nigerian music industry has waned. With the way things are now, upcoming artistes nowadays do not need to sing in Yoruba to be famous. Artistes such as Flavour, Phyno, Nigga Raw, Zoro etc. from the eastern side are popular artistes in Nigeria who grew to fame by singing mostly in Igbo. Not only Igbo artistes, even some Yoruba ones too. Korede Bello is a Yoruba artiste (correct me if I'm wrong) who grew to fame without the Yoruba influence by singing mostly in pidgin, and especially who grew under the tutelage of Don Jazzy. Adaobi, which Korede Bello featured in, grew the guy to fame.
i wonder who ever nurtured the thought that yoruba dominated the music industry. They only dominated afro beat which is their brand of music. But when you talk of highlife you know where the masters are. I grew up hearing songs of Osadebe , oliver de coque, oriental brothers and celestine ukwu etc even nico mbaga who wasnt Igbo sang in Igbo and was very popular. Most of Onyeka onwenus songs are in Igbo but she is nigerias greatest female artiste ever. The fact that some pple easily get excited when pple use their language doent make their language more famous. Nowadays sef. Igbo lang. has almost completely taken over the industry. Most popular non igbos sing in igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by haffaze777(m): 11:07pm On Jul 26, 2016
Noneroone:
i wonder who ever nurtured the thought that yoruba dominated the music industry. They only dominated afro beat which is their brand of music. But when you talk of highlife you know where the masters are. I grew up hearing songs of Osadebe , oliver de coque, oriental brothers and celestine ukwu etc even nico mbaga who wasnt Igbo sang in Igbo and was very popular. Most of Onyeka onwenus songs are in Igbo but she is nigerias greatest female artiste ever. The fact that some pple easily get excited when pple use their language doent make their language more famous. Nowadays sef. Igbo lang. has almost completely taken over the industry. Most popular non igbos sing in igbo.

@bold,I think two names will do,pls just name two most popular non igbos dat sing in igbo

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by pasol4real(m): 6:11am On Jul 27, 2016
omofunaab:

Your being born in Lagos state only makes you a resident and not an indigene.. ..
If fashola could deport your uncles back to anambra, why can't ambode deport you and your dad back to your village if you become nuisance in yoruba land.. .Before Lagos state used to appoint you guys as commissioners in the state but in a bid to check your excesses, all that have changed.. .when your father was coming from the village.. Did he bring money to Lagos to come and develop it.. .igbo ingrate
Animalistic ingrates like u ppl .igbos are the ones feeding u in this Lagos if we leave u guies are finished.
U depend solely on house rents paid by igbos .most of u lots just sit idle from morning till night doing nothin,so what happens if igbos leave u guies wud starve to death .little wonder u guies are fighting tooth n nail to stop biafra .Cos ur fate wud be beyond suffering.
The north has agriculture n are hardworking the ss have oil the se has oil coal and are scientific n industrious,but u lots are lazy n so unproductive with no natural resources.
I pity u ppl if biafraexit ever occurs.
Fashola that made the mistake of deporting some destitutes saw hell despite his public apology n pleas he never rested for a minute,as he was hit from both right to left .even ur oba that made such comments has since retired into oblivion ,as he has bin hit from all corners by ndigbos .
Hell someone even threatened to kidnap him from his throne grin
N for ur info cos I know u are not current
IGBOS are currently representing Lagos in both house of reps n state house of assembly.
So much in a bid to check our excesses
Wouldn't u say?
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by haffaze777(m): 7:29am On Jul 27, 2016
pasol4real:

Animalistic ingrates like u ppl .igbos are the ones feeding u in this Lagos if we leave u guies are finished.
U depend solely on house rents paid by igbos .most of u lots just sit idle from morning till night doing nothin,so what happens if igbos leave u guies wud starve to death .little wonder u guies are fighting tooth n nail to stop biafra .Cos ur fate wud be beyond suffering.
The north has agriculture n are hardworking the ss have oil the se has oil coal and are scientific n industrious,but u lots are lazy n so unproductive with no natural resources.
Fashola that made the mistake of deporting some destitutes saw hell despite his public apology n pleas he never rested for a minute,as he was hit from both right to left .even ur oba that made such comments has since retired into oblivion ,as he has bin hit from all corners by ndigbos .
IGBOS are currently representing Lagos in both house of reps n state house of assembly.
Wouldn't u say?

Funny u,I don't do tribal war but dis ur comment is somehow funny.pls leave if u wanna leave and watch us starve to death as u claimed,I don't think dats too much to ask.d last time I check no one stop u from going to aba for d last Christmas,it make me wonder what make u come back to southwest since u want biafra badly.am not against biafra and I will never be against it but blaming yoruba for ur inability to achieve biafra is getting irritating everyday . I will really like to know how we stop d actualization of biafra and how we can help u actualize ur biafra because dis blame game is getting out of hand

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by omofunaab(m): 7:33am On Jul 27, 2016
pasol4real:

Wouldn't u say?

Lol, actually I agree with you that you are the ones feeding us because if you guys leave who will sell gala and fanyogo to we yorubas, who will work as our house maid and cook? Everyday the police in abeokuta parade your sisters and cousins on television for prostitution.
Your foray into state of assembly and federal was just because of yorubas tolerance. ...but am sure pdp Lagos state would have been regretting given you guys a chance, if yorubas didn't give you chance do you think, you igbos can ever become something in Nigeria.. .
As for your claims that you and your fathers developed Lagos. I guess your father is the one building eko Atlantic City, your fathers control elegushi beach, oniru beach.
South west generally have been developed even during the time of late obafemi Awolowo, we had the first television station in Africa, the tallest building in Nigeria, we built liberty stadium with cocoa money, most of our fathers got educated because of strong education policy, the university of Ibadan was the first university in Nigeria . You igbos came to beg so as to gain admission there because your leaders couldn't deliver anything you.. Now because of the failure of your leaders that's why some of you are destitutes here, living like savages in yoruba land... You will keep paying rent and market levy to yorubas because it's yoruba land

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Noneroone(m): 7:39am On Jul 27, 2016
haffaze777:

@bold,I think two names will do,pls just name two most popular non igbos dat sing in igbo
dbanj - osina nwata buru ogaranya, timaya-ogologo mma, yemi alade and many more
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by absky5(m): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2016
Hemanwel:
You were all running your mouths supporting his childish rants against an older person.He even went ahead threatening to beat her up.Now you want me to believe he's not well-trained...This is still hypocrisy,bro!
like someone once mentioned before Linda herself didn't behave like sum1 that is older........... they are both been childish......... in Yoruba it is said that when an untrained kid tries to humiliate the elder that the elder shouldn't drag with him/her but apply a lot of wisdom.........
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Ngokafor(f): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2016
.....Yorubas are funny..so the Europeans,Asians i see in Nigeria are here because Nigeria is more prosperous than Europe and Asia?.

...Igbos are even in the most remote part of the north doing their business..A corps-member serving in one village in the north complained that they were starved of provisions cos the Igbos who usually sold such things travelled for christmas..i guess the north is more 'developed' than Igboland kiss...

....Yorubas should kindly grow up and stop acting like kids who do not know their right from left...humans move around and do business even if it is were the host live in mud houses,as long as the hosts are too lazy and short-sighted to utilize the opportunties they have,then others will do so.

....Same way Nigeria is broke with Nigerians wallowing in abject poverty,inspite of being blessed with abundant natural resources...we rather lazy around waiting to collect oil rent from European and American oil companies who explore and extract crude oil for us...I guess Mobil,Chevron and co are from poor countries thats why they are in Nigeria...smh.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Ladies Are Beautiful! (pictures) / Inside Igwe John Umenyiora's Palace In Ogbunike, Anambra (Photos) / Tinuade Babalola Not Allowed To Have Boyfriend; Must Be Celibate In Her Reign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.