Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Infantino :Africa Gets 7 Spots In 40 Team Fifa World Cup Format - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Infantino :Africa Gets 7 Spots In 40 Team Fifa World Cup Format (475 Views)

Russia 2018 ‘Best World Cup Ever’ - Says FIFA President, Gianni Infantino / Africa Gets 9 Slots For Expanded 48-team 2026 World Cup / Rinsola Babajide Scores 14 Goals In 40-0 Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Infantino :Africa Gets 7 Spots In 40 Team Fifa World Cup Format by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 25, 2016
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has announced that 40 teams will feature at the 2026 Fifa World Cup and Africa will get an additional two slots to the five it already has.

Infantino disclosed this in a media chat following an U-13 exhibition match between FCT and Enugu at the National Stadium, Abuja in climax of his two-day visit to Nigeria on Monday.

The 46-year-old assured Africa that will get no fewer than two of the eight fresh slots in the proposed expanded World Cup event.

“In regards to the expansion of the World Cup and number of slots for African countries and those other countries around the World,” Infantino told media.

“I believe for the World Cup 2026, because World Cup 2018 and 2022 are already decided, there should be 40 teams.

“And out of the eight more there should be at least two slots for African teams. This is what i declared during my campaign and as you know I’m not a dictator but a democratically elected Fifa president, so I have to speak to everyone and listen to everyone as well.”

He reiterated his vow to fulfill all his campaign promises, especially investing more in football development.

“The first was the reforms and they have been implemented. The second is for us to should invest more for football development.

“We have done through by increasing the development fund by four for each member association which had been significantly increased.

“I promised that the secretary general shouldn’t be an European as it was the case in the core history of Fifa.

“The secretary general is African with Samoura and this is good for Africa. It is about time we try to follow words,” he concluded.

http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/infantino-africa-gets-7-spots-in-40-team-fifa-world-cup-format/
Re: Infantino :Africa Gets 7 Spots In 40 Team Fifa World Cup Format by lexyman(m): 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2016
A welcome development , helping Africans(Nigerian) to achieve her dream .... Africa we will the World Cup one day !
Re: Infantino :Africa Gets 7 Spots In 40 Team Fifa World Cup Format by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 26, 2016
lexyman:
A welcome development , helping Africans(Nigerian) to achieve her dream .... Africa we will the World Cup one day !

Sir, we will someday achieve that feat of lifting up the world Cup.

It's been awhile, I hope you are good? ?.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Super Eagles Beats Japan 5-4 In Their First Match At The 2016 Rio Olympics / Arsenal Vs Liverpool 0:3 Live / Pinnick Hits Brazil To Support Dream Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.