Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,747 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car (3701 Views)

The First Car To Ever Get A Speed Ticket Was Caught Doing 8MPH / Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It? / The First Car That Was Bought In Ido Ekiti (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 9:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
Good evening nairalanders and the auto gurus in the house. A friend neighbour needs advice as he intends getting his first car.

He cannot afford mine (2010 Camry) as I'd have sold it to him.
He is not on nairaland. I have given him some advice and the options have been narrowed down to 3. Please give your honest opinions and reasons as he is viewing every comment as he is going to be reading your advice from my PC.
His salary ranges from 50k to 60k per month.
His budget for buying and doing any work on the car (if it requires any work) is 450 - 550k
He is looking at a Nigeria used or tokunboh
He intends using the car from home to work and church and for town driving mostly. Travelling can come once in a quarter.
He is single for now but intends getting married next year.

Here are the ones I suggested for him:

1995-2000 Mercedes-benz C-class, 1998 -2000 BMW 3- Series/coja (323i or 325i) and Golf 4.

I am using EOD currently and he fell in love with it and I told him that he may not see a really good EOD for his current budget.

Please advice him as he is viewing this thread now.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:53pm On Jul 25, 2016
Philadelphia:
Good evening nairalanders and the auto gurus in the house. A friend neighbour needs advice as he intends getting his first car. He is not on nairaland. I have given him some advice and the options have been narrowed down to 3. Please give your honest opinions and reasons as he is viewing every comment as he is going to be reading your advice from my PC.
His budget for buying and doing any work on the car (if it requires any work) is 450 - 550k
He intends using the car from home to work and church and for town driving mostly. Travelling can come once in a quarter.

1995-2000 Mercedes-benz C-class, 1998 -2000 BMW 3- Series/coja (323i or 325i) and Golf 4.

I am using EOD currently and he fell in love with it and I told him that he may not see a really good EOD for his current budget.

Thanks.

His salary ranges from 50k to 60k per month

@ 145 per liter 10liters per day=1,450 x 20working days a month = 29,000. Add servicing and minor repairs (5,000) 34,000 add lastma,Frsc,police per month (3,000)

He will have no savings. A car is not his problem at the moment.

19 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 7:31am On Jul 26, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

His salary ranges from 50k to 60k per month

@ 145 per liter 10liters per day=1,450 x 20working days a month = 29,000. Add servicing and minor repairs (5,000) 34,000 add lastma,Frsc,police per month (3,000)

He will have no savings. A car is not his problem at the moment.

I usually respected your posts but you just made me lose respect for you with this post. Did I mention that he works in Lagos State? How about bonuses that are paid on quarterly, half year and annual basis?
If you don't have any reasonable comment but to discourage him, kindly get out of my thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:07am On Jul 26, 2016
Philadelphia:

I usually respected your posts but you just made me lose respect for you with this post. Did I mention that he works in Lagos State? How about bonuses that are paid on quarterly, half year and annual basis?
If you don't have any reasonable comment but to discourage him, kindly get out of my thread.

So sorry if you felt offended by my post, let us look at it another way.

Philadelphia:
Good evening nairalanders and the auto gurus in the house. A friend neighbour needs advice as he intends getting his first car. As a first timer he has very little experience with common car faults, how to buy parts, what to do when a car breaks down or develops a fault, a car with minimal issues would be better to give him less of a headache. He is not on nairaland. I have given him some advice and the options have been narrowed down to 3. Please give your honest opinions and reasons as he is viewing every comment as he is going to be reading your advice from my PC.
His salary ranges from 50k to 60k per month.What was your reason for posting this? Well I guess it's so we can work with his present reality. I use to work and live in the north, excellent roads and no traffic, I spent an average of 10-15liters a day (he is single with a new car he will have to show every one wink )
He is looking at a Nigeria used
His budget will not Get him any for of Tokumbor car that is reliable, So you are left with Nigerian used. Now let's look at the Options you gave your friend
or tokunboh

1995-2000 mercerdees C-class: from this I'm sure you are somewhere in the south south or south east wink. It is a sturdy car, great suspensions great engine, parts available, down side is when the engine harness starts to melt off, you are left with an electrical mess, good thing is it is fixable and withing his budget. He will still do the 10-15liters a day tongue

323i - 325i : have not seen 1 with its original engine in the bay in a while, I'm sure you can find one sha, it's a. Nice car, he will need to find a BMW mechanic.

Golf 4: you don't like ya friend to recommend this car grin it is evil.

Thanks.

you opened this thread to help ya friend with decisions on what vehicle to buy as a first car with his 450-550 budget and a 50-60k salary, My New suggestion is buy a small car (extremely low mileage) possibly bought brand new with Nothing to fix, possibly a car with a 1.2-1.6 engine. There are economic realities out there that every one is aware of, if you do not want to become the friend of a mechanic and continue shifting the date of your wedding because of one car problem or the other you will heed my small advice.
A car (not a truck or a tipper or a bus) is a liability, it's sole purpose is for getting you from point a-b it will only take and not give.

Good luck on your search.

Unfollows thread.

18 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by ironheart(m): 10:26am On Jul 26, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

well articulated

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by antontech(m): 12:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
Philadelphia:
Good evening nairalanders and the auto gurus in the house. A friend neighbour needs advice as he intends getting his first car. He is not on nairaland. I have given him some advice and the options have been narrowed down to 3. Please give your honest opinions and reasons as he is viewing every comment as he is going to be reading your advice from my PC.

Thanks.

My man long time

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by WebMania: 3:00pm On Jul 26, 2016
Philadelphia:

OP when asking for opinions, you should be open to advice. It is still your responsibility to take or discard whatever advice given.
GAZZUZZ didn't mean any disrespect but gave his candid opinion. That said, i think i quite agree with him to a large extent. In the long run, you will find what he said to be very true.

Though, we must also note that there are many people with this salary range (and even below) that own a car.
Also about the analysis on fuel costs, the guy does not have to drive it everyday. I know people that drive only once or twice to work in a week. But at least they "know" that they also have a car, even if they can't afford to drive it everyday yet. And, they can take their girlfriend/family out in it + stuff like church & events, etc.

If the guy has really settled it in his heart that buying a car is the next most important project he wants to embark on, he will only get nigerian used cars (1995-2002) within his budget range. Manual cars in this range would be about 50-100k cheaper than their automatic counterparts.
He should also save some money for repairs immediately after buying the car cos he will most likely need to fix a couple of things immediately.

Since he likes your EOD, maybe he can go for a baby boy (2000 model accord), or a 1999/2000 model corolla.
If he sees a good one, and gets a good technician to help him fix all issues the car may have, he shouldn't have much problems.

But seriously consider GAZZUZZ's advice. A "personal" car is really a liability, and can quickly become a money guzzler.
I wish your friend all the best, and progress in his work / career so he'll be able to in the not too distant future afford his dream car cheesy wink

7 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 3:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
WebMania:

OP when asking for opinions, you should be open to advice. It is still your responsibility to take or discard whatever advice given.
GAZZUZZ didn't mean any disrespect but gave his candid opinion. That said, i think i quite agree with him to a large extent. In the long run, you will find what he said to be very true.

Though, we must also note that there are many people with this salary range (and even below) that own a car.
Also about the analysis on fuel costs, the guy does not have to drive it everyday. I know people that drive only once or twice to work in a week. But at least they "know" that they also have a car, even if they can't afford to drive it everyday yet. And, they can take their girlfriend/family out in it + stuff like church & events, etc.

If the guy has really settled it in his heart that buying a car is the next most important project he wants to embark on, he will only get nigerian used cars (1995-2002) within his budget range. Manual cars in this range would be about 50-100k cheaper than their automatic counterparts.
He should also save some money for repairs immediately after buying the car cos he will most likely need to fix a couple of things immediately.

Since he likes your EOD, maybe he can go for a baby boy (2000 model accord), or a 1999/2000 model corolla.
If he sees a good one, and gets a good technician to help him fix all issues the car may have, he shouldn't have much problems.

But seriously consider GAZZUZZ's advice. A "personal" car is really a liability, and can quickly become a money guzzler.
I wish your friend all the best, and progress in his work / career so he'll be able to in the not too distant future afford his dream car cheesy wink

Thank you for your matured advice.
The opinion was not to buy a car or not to buy one. Rather, it was to buy a car but which one?
Gazzuzz should keep his advice to himself since it is off point in line with this thread.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2016
antontech:

My man long time

Bro, how you dey na? I forgot your moniker on nairaland and I searched but couldn't find you. How you dey?

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2016
I want to thank everyone for the advice. He has settled for the c class

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by ogawisdom(m): 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
50 to 60k salary shocked n wants a car, ur frnd is over ambitious see d choice of cars u ve lined out for him. Goodluck since u ve decided, experience is d best teacher.

Golf 3 is d car he can maintain, 1.6l engine n manual cool

5 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by antontech(m): 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2016
Philadelphia:

Bro, how you dey na? I forgot your moniker on nairaland and I searched but couldn't find you. How you dey?
Fine. Hope u v gotten something now

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 9:55pm On Jul 27, 2016
antontech:

Fine. Hope u v gotten something now

Yeah. What about you?

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by nenergy(m): 7:49am On Jul 28, 2016
Camry 05. Cleared from Apapa 2 weeks ago. Milage is 190000. Location: surulere, Lagos. Asking price is 1.5. PM me if interested.
https://www.nairaland.com/3253805/2-weeks-apapa-cleared-camry#47955534

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by oluwanoni: 10:22am On Jul 28, 2016
@op for that price range.... you can buy a tokunbo, you can definitely buy a Nigerian used, after proper testing and even if your friend would need extra amount for car registration and license and definitely there would need to be worked done on the vehicle.

I recommend a small vehicle, 1.6l probably a toyota corolla, less fuel consumption, parts are readily available.

He buys a vehicle for 500k
Registration of car/license for about 50k
Gradual replacement of Worn out or loose parts for about
Servicing of Engine after purchase - 20k (reason been most Nigerian drivers have poor maintenance culture.
Pimping about 100k

If your friend is lucky he can see a vehicle that hasn't be poorly used, purchase it and gradually do all the above.

The truth is, with the way the society is, I hardly believe a junior salary earner can purchase a tokunbo, some people may never even own a car or drive one.

Speaking from experience, I earn as much as ur friend, I purchased a used Nigerian vehicle but I had it in mind that I was gonna rebuild and love-vendor it gradually, which I have done, people envy the car now. If

if your friend purchases the vehicle, should be ready to face the risk and he doesn't well he's gonna spend it on his forthcoming marriage... both are not in itself investment.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2016
oluwanoni:
@op for that price range.... you can buy a tokunbo, you can definitely buy a Nigerian used, after proper testing and even if your friend would need extra amount for car registration and license and definitely there would need to be worked done on the vehicle.

I recommend a small vehicle, 1.6l probably a toyota corolla, less fuel consumption, parts are readily available.

He buys a vehicle for 500k
Registration of car/license for about 50k
Gradual replacement of Worn out or loose parts for about
Servicing of Engine after purchase - 20k (reason been most Nigerian drivers have poor maintenance culture.
Pimping about 100k

If your friend is lucky he can see a vehicle that hasn't be poorly used, purchase it and gradually do all the above.

The truth is, with the way the society is, I hardly believe a junior salary earner can purchase a tokunbo, some people may never even own a car or drive one.

Speaking from experience, I earn as much as ur friend, I purchased a used Nigerian vehicle but I had it in mind that I was gonna rebuild and love-vendor it gradually, which I have done, people envy the car now. If

if your friend purchases the vehicle, should be ready to face the risk and he doesn't well he's gonna spend it on his forthcoming marriage... both are not in itself investment.

Thanks and God bless

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Ikenna351(m): 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2016
I hardly visit Nairaland these days. Sometimes it takes weeks or months to visit. But this afternoon, i got this impulse to visit. This thread was the first that got my attention. After reading through, I now understand why my Inner being wanted me to visit.

I know the feeling of knowing what you want and focusing on it irrespective of distractions. Once you understand the working of Universe, the clarity can give you goose bumps. Life experience is what teaches and not words.

There was really no nead for you to state limitations on what you are reseacrhing or asking of, because the moment you do, Universe will match you with circumstances or people that line up with your asking or frequency. You meant well for your friend's neighbour, but at the same time pointing out what you called limitations in his reality, like his low monthly income. Universe doesnt hear what you say, it hears what you mean. Because what you are saying is, "I want this good thing for my friend's neghbour but....." That "But" is what you mean and that's why you got responses that were negative. What you put out is what you get back.

If your friend's neighbour's defines owning car as a liability because that is other peoples belief, it will become his experience whenever he chooses to owns a car, this year, next year or next 5 years, it doesn't matter unless he change that belief. But if he/she defines his/her strong desire owning a car as something positive that will lead to more good things for him to experience, then let him rejoice for more gifts lined up in his path are on his door.

The 50k monthly income is a condition, a past condition. Because it can change the next moment, same way one can seize to exist physically the next moment. Moment to moment appreciation is the greatest gift you can give to yourself, rather than seeking for your value from conditions (people, wallet, circumstances, etc) that have no idea what your path is. Your Inner being knows your path to what you want and who you want to become, and leads you to those desires born inside you through paths only He understands. But when you make other people around you your Inner being, well, you disconnect yourself from your power to enjoy life you came to experience. You are WORTHY at every point in life to have and live all the best things in life you want. There are students, NYSC corp members and some people that own cars that don't experience that amount of income monthly, yet they are happier than some that earn more than that 50k. No matter how much you save monthly, if you are not happy and don't find a way to make & keep yourself happy, things will come into your experience and take those monies away to keep you unhappy because that's what you mean. Clarity is the understanding that desires manifest non physically or spiritually before they become physical. It's not the other way round.

If your friend's neghbour feels afraid or have a belief that he is not worthy yet to own a car, according to others beliefs or definitions of his condition, then let him do himself a favour: stay away from owning a car for now. Because that fear will manifest if he ventures. But if he always have a feeling of joy whenever the thought of owning a car crosses his mind, then it's time for him or her to own a car, for that is his highest excitement now. How you feel is how your inner being tells you what next. Not how i feel or how they feel, but HOW YOU FEEL.

I didn't come to this thread to tell your neighbour's friend what car to buy. I came to do what my Inner being guided me here to do: to inform you that things are always working out for you no matter what, because you always make the right choice, if you are reading this.

Ikenna, Lion King.

10 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by timifakay(m): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
What's his daily commute distance?
How much does he spend taking public transport?
What responsibilities does he cater to now (parents, siblings, gfs...)
Any untarred stretch of road on his daily route?
How much is he ready to spend on the use and maintenance of the car monthly?
All the above are more important than the type of car he likes. Logic over sentiments.
If in his shoes I'll get one of these cars: Hyundai Accent or i10, Kia Picanto or Rio, Nissan Micra or Primera or Almera, Toyota Starlet or Corolla Volkswagen Golf3, Audi A3 Anything with less than 1.6l engine... He shouldn't even price anything from year 2000 till date. An income earner of less than 100k and first time car owner should be more concerned about affordability maintainability, ruggedness and peace of mind than prestige.
It's better he buys one of those to perfect his driving if he doesn't know how to drive yet, also to have his to be wife too learn to drive with it, if she doesn't drive yet too. Then sell off after sometime and add his new savings for a car he considers befitting in a few years time. Besides Kazeems go dey price him based on the car model and level of knowledge; him salary no concern them oh...
Best of luck, and may the odds forever be in his favour.

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by antontech(m): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2016
Philadelphia:

Yeah. What about you?
Still searching

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by ba7man(m): 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2016
If I were in his shoes, I would havr gone for a neatly used Golf 4 manual gear.

Looks modern, smart and lovely to drive.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
Ikenna351:
I hardly visit Nairaland these days. Sometimes it takes weeks or months to visit. But this afternoon, i got this impulse to visit. This thread was the first that got my attention. After reading through, I now understand why my Inner being wanted me to visit.

I know the feeling of knowing what you want and focusing on it irrespective of distractions. Once you understand the working of Universe, the clarity can give you goose bumps. Life experience is what teaches and not words.

There was really no nead for you to state limitations on what you are reseacrhing or asking of, because the moment you do, Universe will match you with circumstances or people that line up with your asking or frequency. You meant well for your friend's neighbour, but at the same time pointing out what you called limitations in his reality, like his low monthly income. Universe doesnt hear what you say, it hears what you mean. Because what you are saying is, "I want this good thing for my friend's neghbour but....." That "But" is what you mean and that's why you got responses that were negative. What you put out is what you get back.

If your friend's neighbour's defines owning car as a liability because that is other peoples belief, it will become his experience whenever he chooses to owns a car, this year, next year or next 5 years, it doesn't matter unless he change that belief. But if he/she defines his/her strong desire owning a car as something positive that will lead to more good things for him to experience, then let him rejoice for more gifts lined up in his path are on his door.

The 50k monthly income is a condition, a past condition. Because it can change the next moment, same way one can seize to exist physically the next moment. Moment to moment appreciation is the greatest gift you can give to yourself, rather than seeking for your value from conditions (people, wallet, circumstances, etc) that have no idea what your path is. Your Inner being knows your path to what you want and who you want to become, and leads you to those desires born inside you through paths only He understands. But when you make other people around you your Inner being, well, you disconnect yourself from your power to enjoy life you came to experience. You are WORTHY at every point in life to have and live all the best things in life you want. There are students, NYSC corp members and some people that own cars that don't experience that amount of income monthly, yet they are happier than some that earn more than that 50k. No matter how much you save monthly, if you are not happy and don't find a way to make & keep yourself happy, things will come into your experience and take those monies away to keep you unhappy because that's what you mean. Clarity is the understanding that desires manifest non physically or spiritually before they become physical. It's not the other way round.

If your friend's neghbour feels afraid or have a belief that he is not worthy yet to own a car, according to others beliefs or definitions of his condition, then let him do himself a favour: stay away from owning a car for now. Because that fear will manifest if he ventures. But if he always have a feeling of joy whenever the thought of owning a car crosses his mind, then it's time for him or her to own a car, for that is his highest excitement now. How you feel is how your inner being tells you what next. Not how i feel or how they feel, but HOW YOU FEEL.

I didn't come to this thread to tell your neighbour's friend what car to buy. I came to do what my Inner being guided me here to do: to inform you that things are always working out for you no matter what, because you always make the right choice, if you are reading this.

Ikenna, Lion King.

Thank you Ikenna. I feel inspired. He is getting the car.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 11:18pm On Jul 28, 2016
antontech:

Still searching

You shall find.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Philadelphia: 11:19pm On Jul 28, 2016
Thanks everyone

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by kaymart: 9:43am On Jul 11, 2022
Ikenna351:

Ikenna, Lion King.
Wow.... I stumbled upon this thread for some unknown reasons. Funnily, I'm not even shopping for anything really, not even a car.
All I can say is "wow".
This comments of yours will continue to make sense for many years to come so long ppl have get a view of it ....

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by remi4ever(m): 9:25pm On Aug 30, 2022
kaymart:

Wow.... I stumbled upon this thread for some unknown reasons. Funnily, I'm not even shopping for anything really, not even a car.
All I can say is "wow".
This comments of yours will continue to make sense for many years to come so long ppl have get a view of it ....

Like he was talking to me directly, I'm saving up for the a ride..

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Shrimpss: 3:58am On Aug 31, 2022
Ikenna351:

Ikenna, Lion King.
1000 likes for this
Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by Uzomarrr12345: 4:00am On Aug 31, 2022
Shrimpss:
1000 likes for this
The above User , A big time scammer on nairaland !!!

Name ; Oluwatosin David
Nairaland name ; Shrimpss

Bank ; Palmpay

Be careful guys !!!

1 Like

Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by BoboKush(m): 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2022
Philadelphia:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarh cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Advice! A friend needs advice On Buying his First Car by BoboKush(m): 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

grin cheesy cheesy wink

(1) (Reply)

See The Nigerian Made SUV Vehicle That Is The Best in The Auto Industry Now / Toyota Corolla 2010 Fuel Consumption Rate / Please I Need Toyota Dyna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.