Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,976 members, 7,799,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn (1582 Views)

I Make N150,000 Monthly Selling Akara In Kaduna – Widow / Zenith Bank Reduces Account Opening Balance To N0.00 / How Naira Went From N525/$1 To N400/$1 In 3 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 26, 2016
Keying into the trend and latest happening is a sure way t Find new business opportunity and key into them. Another thing which I have come to realize as a result of my collapsed VPN/Free Browsing Business, is that every product have a life cycle and failing to understand when to key out of a business can course colossal losses and leave you with a lot of regrets, as well as valuable lessons.
This is my story.
It all started back in 2012 when MTN BBC subscription works fast and free when configured to a VPN like PDproxy and the likes, I'm sure you remember.
I just finished secondary school and because of the Nigerian factor and my bad attitude towards studying then, I couldn't secure admission into a university.

I decided not to just stay at home doing nothing, but start a business, and I happened to be conversant with Computers and Web Technology so I decided to start my web consultancy business.
My goal was to launch two products
1. Web design
2. VPN/Free Browsing Business.
I needed a capital of N120,000 to start up, from programming the VPN software, to getting Servers and printing proposals and others.
Nigerians hate risks, I found it so hard to raise that money, but luckily, a friend of my brother bought into my vision. He provided the while capital with an agreement that he receives 40% of Net Profit, and that I help him directly manage his importation of perfume bottles from China. I was indirectly serving him and paying him for it.
I had no choice but to agree since he was my only hope of capital.

Fast word to four months after, we successfully set up the VPN, did both local and online promotion and we had over 200 clients Paying N500 for server to browse free per month.
The money was steady coming, I even forgot I was supposed to develop a web consulting business in which my primary target market was Private Nursery, Primary and secondary school. To introduce online payment system, online results checking, database creation of all students etc.

I started to leave large, spending profit without any plan of diversication and expansion. After every month, I called friends, went to bars and close to down. In the word of Nigerians "I was leaving Large".

Around August 2013, MTN began to up grade Their system and gradually, profit began to strong down.
It was a sure sign that this was the time to cash out, instead I spent money consulting programmers in Indonesia, India and one Igbo guy(Nnamdi, he was gold) and still to no avail, and by the start of September, profit reduce to the extent that all that was left were customers that paid in advance, who complained bitterly.
And soon, we closed down.
My partner wasn't that affected because he saved all his profit, in the space of 11monthz, he had over N700, 000 to show for his investment, but me? NOTHING.
We closed down all Operations December 2013, and tha5 was about the period I got admission and entered Univsersity.

What I learnt from this experience?

1. Financial Intelligence is a must
After managing and failing in my business, I discovered that the main reason that accounted for my failure was the lack of financial intelligence. I kept spending and spending without thinking ahead of the days to come. Trust me, tommorow doesn't take care of itself in Nigeria.

2. Uncontrollable Variables should not be the basis of your bussines
Despite the fact the proper planning would have made me leave with something, the fact that my business would built around MTN technical issues made its survival difficult since I can control that.

3. Always Diversify
To increase your chance of success, learn to invest in other ventures. Even as a worker, it's good to have other places you make money from because, even the job can go away all of a sudden.
Another thing that came in play was the Teenage factor cuz I was young when I tried this venture, I don't need to explain this factor as we all have been there.

I can go on and on about what I learnt but I chose to stop here. I hope other Entrepreneurs and intending entrepreneurs do not make the same business as I did.

I switched from Computer Science to Accounting now because I need that financial intelligence, and I would still develop my IT consultancy firm and a team of experts, only this time, I would be more prepared.

CC
L
lalasticlala
jraushub
Seun
Dominique

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 26, 2016
Lalasticlala FP pls. so all can benefit...
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Heryorh: 10:27am On Jul 26, 2016
fry that potato abegi..

1 Like

Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 26, 2016
Heryorh:
fry that potato abegi..
Lol.... WIP
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Heryorh: 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
optimusmind:

Lol.... WIP
...waiting...
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Lordtrillion(m): 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nice & inspiring. I could still recall that Friday in 2013 when I just subscribed for the 3 months package of this VPN stuff only for Mtn to block it that day cry . Wasn't funny at all. I wished I had waited until Monday angry
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2016
Heryorh:

...waiting...
After lalasticlala does justice
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by tempest02: 8:00pm On Jul 26, 2016
hope you've a lesson for life
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by MukaboxNG: 8:34pm On Jul 26, 2016
optimusmind:
Keying into the trend and latest happening is a sure way t Find new business opportunity and key into them. Another thing which I have come to realize as a result of my collapsed VPN/Free Browsing Business, is that every product have a life cycle and failing to understand when to key out of a business can course colossal losses and leave you with a lot of regrets, as well as valuable lessons.
This is my story.
It all started back in 2012 when MTN BBC subscription works fast and free when configured to a VPN like PDproxy and the likes, I'm sure you remember.
I just finished secondary school and because of the Nigerian factor and my bad attitude towards studying then, I couldn't secure admission into a university.

I decided not to just stay at home doing nothing, but start a business, and I happened to be conversant with Computers and Web Technology so I decided to start my web consultancy business.
1. Web design
I needed a capital of N120,000 to start up, from programming the VPN software, to getting Servers and printing proposals and others.
Nigerians hate risks, I found it so hard to raise that money, but luckily, a friend of my brother bought into my vision. He provided the while capital with an agreement that he receives 40% of Net Profit, and that I help him directly manage his importation of perfume bottles from China. I was indirectly serving him and paying him for it.

Fast word to four months after, we successfully set up the VPN, did both local and online promotion and we had over 200 clients Paying N500 for server to browse free per month.
The money was steady coming, I even forgot I was supposed to develop a web consulting business in which my primary target market was Private Nursery, Primary and secondary school. To introduce online payment system, online results checking, database creation of all students etc.

I started to leave large, spending profit without any plan of diversication and expansion. After every month, I called friends, went to bars and close to down. In the word of Nigerians "I was leaving Large".

Around August 2013, MTN began to up grade Their system and gradually, profit began to strong down.
It was a sure sign that this was the time to cash out, instead I spent money consulting programmers in Indonesia, India and one Igbo guy(Nnamdi, he was gold) and still to no avail, and by the start of September, profit reduce to the extent that all that was left were customers that paid in advance, who complained bitterly.
My partner wasn't that affected because he saved all his profit, in the space of 11monthz, he had over N700, 000 to show for his investment, but me? NOTHING.
We closed down all Operations December 2013, and tha5 was about the period I got admission and entered Univsersity.

After managing and failing in my business, I discovered that the main reason that accounted for my failure was the lack of financial intelligence. I kept spending and spending without thinking ahead of the days to come. Trust me, tommorow doesn't take care of itself in Nigeria.

Despite the fact the proper planning would have made me leave with something, the fact that my business would built around MTN technical issues made its survival difficult since I can control that.

3. Always Diversify
To increase your chance of success, learn to invest in other ventures. Even as a worker, it's good to have other places you make money from because, even the job can go away all of a sudden.
Another thing that came in play was the Teenage factor cuz I was young when I tried this venture, I don't need to explain this factor as we all have been there.

I can go on and on about what I learnt but I chose to stop here. I hope other Entrepreneurs and intending entrepreneurs do not make the same business as I did.

I switched from Computer Science to Accounting now because I need that financial intelligence, and I would still develop my IT consultancy firm and a team of experts, only this time, I would be more prepared.

CC
L
lalasticlala
jraushub
Seun
Dominique
Gplusvpn? Hmmm anyway I am one of the reseller olujimi metilelu and I think back then it was cool I asumed you made millions from it then. Some guys are still makking lots of money with vpn up till now
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by dollaflow(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
when you loose don't loose the lessons
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by MukaboxNG: 8:37pm On Jul 26, 2016
optimusmind:
Keying into the trend and latest happening is a sure way t wink Find new business opportunity and key into them. Another thing which I have come to realize as a result of my collapsed VPN/Free Browsing Business, is that every product have a life cycle and failing to understand when to key out of a business can course colossal losses and leave you with a lot of regrets, as well as valuable lessons.
This is my story.

1. Web design

3. Always Diversify

CC
L
lalasticlala
jraushub
Seun.
Dominique

Gplusvpn?. Gplus was cool back then and I was a reseller. I assumed u made millions from it back then. Nothwithstabding since then oda guys have been making a killing from vpn business
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 07, 2016
naijacutee
FOD
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Pavore9: 5:05pm On Aug 07, 2016
Many should learn from this.
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by onatisi(m): 8:42pm On Aug 07, 2016
Same mistake I made when I started my first business. Nice one from the op. The major thing is diversify and keep improving your business ,dont remain stagnant
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by tosinjay(m): 12:55am On Aug 08, 2016
Opposite to Op, I've been clever with money, learn from people's mistakes and not mine, diversified from comp into another. Op MTN suppose arrest you o.
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by strangest(m): 6:30am On Aug 08, 2016
Morale: stay away from beer and girls if you want to grow your business... Learn to cook your meal... If possible turn fulltime born again
Re: How I Went From N150,000/month To N0.00(colapsed Business) - Gplusvpn by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 08, 2016
I love the second point or so...uncontrollable variables should not be the basis of your business. Besides what you guys did was wrong. People must learn to pay their way through. Stop looking for free things.

(1) (Reply)

Buy Souvenirs At Basic Concept / Nairaland Forum Should Leave MMM Alone. Mind Your Business. / Agric | Quality Carrot Seeds Suppliers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.