Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,231 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! (769 Views)

Got Home Last Night And Was Told That My House Has Been Sold Without Notice / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall / Advise Needed: Buying A House Or Building One From Scratch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by emmanuelkoris: 9:39am On Jul 26, 2016
Please I need your Sincere Opinion.
I work in VI and presently stay in an Area(Surulere) that is about 30 mins drive to VI.

My house rent is due and I cannot renew due to some issues so I Urgently need to take another apartment which will cost me about 700K to 800k

I also have my building project I have been sluggish with for over a year because the place is far (Oke Aro, Aroround Agbado Ijaiye Lagos), its over 2hrs drive to VI and of which I used to be angry about people coming to VI every morning that it is not wise as they need to leave home say 5am, and get home about 10pm. so I planned to slugishly finish the building, rent it out and use the money to pay rent in a close place to work.

What do I do? Am scared of living so far from VI... Which means my fueling costs will skyrocket, I will spend huge part of my day in traffic on the roads. also the light where I stay now is good but that of where my building project is is bad...
Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by Hitback2back: 9:43am On Jul 26, 2016
Go nd play nairabet or surebet to double d money I will rent u a better apartment

1 Like

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by 1stluv(f): 9:50am On Jul 26, 2016
Pay your rent, then double your hustle or save more so as to quickly finish your project then you should rent it out

4 Likes

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by Rachie83: 10:18am On Jul 26, 2016
I once lived in Oke aro and I can say I understand your fear, if I were you I will go ahead to rent an apartment closer to my work place then step up to the completion of your project, rent it out and use the money to be paying for your own rent.The road in oke aro is terrible, the bad road alone is killing not to talk of traffic you will face on the road before you get home.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by AdeniyiA(m): 10:41am On Jul 26, 2016
From your post I could deduce that you can be emotional,easily stressed. Since we do not have a good road network and one cannot specifically state time one will get to work. I will advice you find a cheaper house to rent nd gradually finish your house and give it out for rent.
You can't avoid to kill yourself over Lagos traffic

1 Like

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by emmanuelkoris: 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2016
I appreciate you guys, I actually get stressed out at the smallest wahala... If I can afford to leave in VI and work in VI...i will gladly do.
when I checked the figures... its actually more complicated.
The issues on ground gets bad for the fact that my landlord said nobody should renew rent.

in my area, a room selfcontained costs about 250 -300k, they are requesting for 2 years 600k agency and agreement 120k --- Total 720k

If I spend like say 300 or 350k on my building project in oke aro... it will be manageable to leave.

I have about 200k savings now, and I also have some relocation/travel plans that is not matured...

looking at the statistics it looks like am closer to 350k to complete the ause, than 720k for another rent. Also what happens if |I commit myself to a 2 years rent and I relocate/travel in 8 months time
Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by chyke007(m): 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2016
Over 2 hrs drive and you're contemplating doing this everyday. That's 4 hours on the road daily. Definitely not an option for me.

Best case for you is to go for rented apartment closer to work. Then over the next one year, complete your building in oke aro and rent out. If your plan of traveling out materialises in 8 months, well that should be an opportunity cost you must be willing to accept.

Sometimes life's simpler than we make it look.
Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by olaboy1: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
If your company has a staff bus from the oke aro, then continue your sleep on the bus with A/C to your office, and join the bus back home.
Find interesting thing to do during the drive time. When I lived in festac and was working in Idowu Taylor V.I that was what I did, although I hated it sometimes. If I was living in my own built house trust me I wouldn't complain a bit.

The day I realized it was just a 30min journey from my house in festac to my office in V.I was when I rushed to the office for an emergency on a Saturday morning and I drove myself...holy shit I became even more infuriated. Usually with the staff bus from 1st avenue festac to Idowu Taylor in the morning was like 2hrs (6am-8am) and another 2hrs back home...4hrs on the road, worked 8hrs daily...the bottle necks were, gbagada, 3rd mainland bridge, Osborne road, falomo roundabout to take the small bridge to V.I, and then law school....wow Lagos is tough mehhn.

Honestly Lagos is overdue for trams. Anyone bold enough to invest in Lagos trams with good integrated system has just struck gold.
Rent an apartment closer to work for now and fix your housing project, hopefully in 5yrs Lagos may improve.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by danowena: 6:02pm On Jul 26, 2016
My guy, if I were to be you, I would see my staying in Oke -Aro as my hustle in the short term. In other words, I would complete the house and move to Oke-aro. Atleast, I am in my house. Then I would save very hard towards gathering money to rent an apartment closer to my work place. This way, I am neither under pressure to pay rent and I know I always have a roof over my head should it be that my office says they no longer need my services. Be prudent and be wise by bracing up for the worst (this does not make you a pessimist) especially in these times of economic uncertainties.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by jaytime(m): 6:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. So at this point, follow your mind.
Re: Should I Complete My House Or Gulp About 700k For Rent? Am Confused! by MrMcJay(m): 4:06am On Jul 28, 2016
Most of those commenting have no idea of where Oke-Aro is. Oke Aro is in Ogun State near Agbado (not Alagbado). I know that place very well as it is notorious for bad roads and traffic.

Go to Oke Aro and rent an hotel where you'll stay for a week. Check your blood pressure at the start of the week and commute from that hotel to your office everyday for a week. At the end of the week, check your blood pressure.

OP, you have to decide if you want to live in your house and be miserable or you want to live close to your workplace and be happy.

Oke Aro to VI everyday is suicidal.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Quality Small-sized Wash Basin For A Small Bathroom? Check This Out / Uncompleted 3-bedroom Semidetached Penthouse In Galadimawa, Apo, Abuja For Sale / Fairly Used Freezer For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.