Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

The Poison Called Prosperity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Poison Called Prosperity (3984 Views)

My Rebuttal To A Thread On Why Did Allah Allow The Prophet Die From The Poison / Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Poison Called Prosperity by shinystar(m): 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2006
THE POISON CALLED PROSPERITY

I have observed with increasing alarm the overt emphasis placed on the message of propserity by Nigerian church leaders. As it is, it now appears all that christianity is all about is prosperity.

Now many Nigerians attend church not to serve God but to have their needs- mostly economic- met. Are you comfortable with the rate prosperity messages haev grown in Nigeria? Are there excesses and harms gone to the gospel?

Happy discussion
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by mazaje(m): 8:59pm On Dec 06, 2006
how do u expect people to go to church and pray and worship God alone with all the poverty, oppression and injustice going around the country, people need to be told there is hope else the idea of God will not be meaningful to many people, the cleaver pastors have noticed that and are using it to dupe the poor unclever members of the congregation, what have u got to tell a poor man that has no food and life is hell to him? u need to tell him that God cares and if he has faith and obeys him he will take him out of his present predicaments and give him what he needs and make his life more comfortable.

Poverty has eaten too deep and the only messeage that sells these days is that of prosperity, people don't need to be told that God cares with out any hope of helping them out of the abject poverty they are in, holiness alone and true worship is not what people want to hear because its of no use to most people, a way outof their present situation is what they need to hear and the cleaver pastors know just that.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by goodguy(m): 9:20pm On Dec 06, 2006
Salvation to a sick man is relief from that sickness. Salvation to a barren woman is the ability to bear a child. Likewise, salvation to a poor man is prosperity.

There's nothing wrong in preaching about prosperity, only it shouldn't be emphasized more than other areas that are affecting other people, since it's not everyone that's poor.

If at all it should be emphasized on, other areas should be emphasized equally as well.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by wiseguy(m): 10:24am On Dec 07, 2006
The injunction is that we should "seek first the kingdom of God and all other things shall be added unto you". This is a basic condition to wellness, spiritual upliftment as well as prosperity and it is not automatic as many of these pastors would want us to believe. In "seeking the kingdom of God", you have to live the life worthy of a child of God by fulfilling His will as anchored in creation. By being "saintly" everyday( not just on sundays) as if everybody in your church congregation is watching you.

We dont achieve this by going to church everyday to dance and gyrate and entertain ourselves. It is by your everyday activity, by your r/ship with your fellow human beings. Some of us will go to church, ostensibly to pray for prosperity, and the next day they dupe someone or defraud their company or in the case of politicians, steal govt funds and they will come back to church to give testimony about how the Almighty has helped them get rich. The Almighty cannot and will never be part of such richness. A man after rigging election and using thugs to maim and murder his opponents will come to church to give testimony and donate chunks of money stolen from public funds. Such wealth does not come from God. Seek to know and live according to the teachings of Christ Jesus. If that is done, prosperity and all the rest are guaranteed. So pastors should not emphasize on prosperity rather they shoulld teach their congregation how to obey the laws of the Almighty, engrave it in their hearts and live it in their thoughts, words and deeds. It cannot be done in one day but just as drunkards pick up the habit of drinking, you can pick up the habit of doing good by constantly doing good.

Admonition/Quote:
"You are permitted to wander through creation.
Go in such a manner as to cause no HARM to your fellow
human beings in pursuit of your earthly desires."
- Abdrushin.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Ndipe(m): 10:42am On Dec 07, 2006
Not only in Nigeria, are these false prophets found, but also in America. Peter Popoff was exposed as a fraud in wikipedia. Stay away from them and diligently seek the Salvation of God, for that is the most important gift for mankind. These false prophets have turned the House of God into a warehouse, for the benefit of their bank account. Their oestantatious lifestyle is sometimes showcased in magazines in at least a few magazine that I have read. There is no way they can justify their lavish lifestyle when some of their congregation are living paycheck to paycheck. I am not an advocate of poverty, dont get me wrong, but at the same time, too much wealth is a distraction itself. I'd rather be comfortable in life, than be wealthy. Jesus Christ had warned us in His Holy Book, The Holy Bible, that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

Unfortunately, some people have equated the Blessings of God to excessive prosperity, and more than a few of them, have forged ahead in life to establish their own Churches to whet their appetite for avarice. May God save us in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Ndipe(m): 10:43am On Dec 07, 2006
Not only in Nigeria, are these false prophets found, but also in America. Peter Popoff was exposed as a fraud in wikipedia. Stay away from them and diligently seek the Salvation of God, for that is the most important gift for mankind. These false prophets have turned the House of God into a warehouse, for the benefit of their bank account. Their oestantatious lifestyle is sometimes showcased in magazines in at least a few magazine that I have read. There is no way they can justify their lavish lifestyle when some of their congregation are living paycheck to paycheck. I am not an advocate of poverty, dont get me wrong, but at the same time, too much wealth is a distraction itself. I'd rather be comfortable in life, than be wealthy. Jesus Christ had warned us in His Holy Book, The Holy Bible, that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

Unfortunately, some people have equated the Blessings of God to excessive prosperity, and more than a few of them, have forged ahead in life to establish their own Churches to whet their appetite for avarice. May God save us in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Freestyl(m): 11:54am On Dec 07, 2006
we are in poverty now becuase of our evil deeds but as a true child of God, poverty will never come ya way. and that is why people are struggling to prosper.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Blue2(m): 12:56pm On Dec 07, 2006
The problem is that here in nigeria we are very religious but not Godly, i read somewhere that Nigeria has the highest number of churches per square kilometer than any country. we have long lost our value system money is the only thing that COUNTS, the pastors are only latching on!!
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by femi4love(m): 1:26pm On Dec 07, 2006
When I visited Nigeria earlier this year, I realized that we now have so many ministries (churches), with most of their pastors as either Prophets or apostles. I have no problem with this as long as they are recognized as such by God. My main concern are the people who go to these churches. I hope people take time to test the Spirit (or spirits) operating in these churches. As a true child of God, one has the responsibility of not just praying but watching as well (The reason God gave you 2 eyes). Please be careful if all you hear always in church is about prosperity, true relationship with God will confer the benefits of being blessed on you as a child of God. God promised to supply our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19) and I tell you from experience HE WILL NEVER FAIL.

Nevertheless, if you attend a church where they don't talk about storing your treasure in heaven by spending your time and money for the cause of the gospel, then the doctrines are not balanced. Read Malachi chapter 3, this is between you and God and nothing to do with the pastor. Be settled in your conviction as to what God's will is for you regarding prosperity and ask God to give you the grace to discern who His true ministers or ministries are, that way you will not sow in barren or dead land.

God bless
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by osegwu(m): 1:40pm On Dec 07, 2006
The problem is not in the churches but in the people.
Nobody want to attend a church where there paster
is not flashy or flamboyant. And The world like the sound of prosperity
especially Nigerians.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by osegwu(m): 1:42pm On Dec 07, 2006
The problem is not in the churches but in the people.
Nobody want to attend a church where the pastor
is not flashy or flamboyant. And the world like the sound of prosperity
especially Nigerians. So very wise and crimally brilliant Pastors took
advantage of these and get richer and in the proccess send many to hell.
Thank God I de shine my eye well.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by shinystar(m): 2:07pm On Dec 07, 2006
Well it is sad. But isn't there a way of regulating the nefarious activities of these men of God?

Many have cited the desperate quest to break away from poverty as a reason why many of them indulge in it. Then, can we say people are getting just what they deserve?
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by shinystar(m): 2:14pm On Dec 07, 2006
Osegwu,

I agree perfectly with you on the need for people to learn to protest. I was speaking lately with an equally distrubed pentecostal church leader in Nigeria on how to stop the drift. We explored many options but settled for people-revolt. According to him, people shoul start asking questions and calling their pastors to accountability.

Moreso, they should protest by walking out on any church where money is the main subject of attraction. I left him wondering if such a time would ever come. The fact is are people empowered enough to be that radical and daring?

We may need to look at this too
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Effizy(m): 2:59pm On Dec 07, 2006
Well.you cannot blame any men of God for such message.Do not forget the fact that to be a successful man of God, you must have something to show for it in which your well being is one of them. I am not in support of any fake men of God that trick the congregation for their own selfish interest.But what am trying to say is that as a true child of God,you must prosper in every area of your life. There is a true prosperity and vice versa.When you have money and there is no rest of mind or peace of mind, you check yourself. Because, every perfect gift comes from God. Those that attend a particular church because they want to prosper and their mind is against God or not in line with Him are just deceiving themselves. You should stand firm in your God,trust Him completely. By doing so,be rest assured of whatever may be your needs,He will surely grant it, but to your comfortability.

Shalom.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Drusilla(f): 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2006
Prosperity Gospel is of course the doctrine that leads the church into apostacy (the great falling away).

It's sad to see that the infection is world wide even though of course the bible tells you that Babylon will cause all the world to be infected.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by chx: 4:31pm On Dec 07, 2006
Prosperity is good by the way. The churches are bastardizing the topic i agree. But let us remember that once u serve God, u are guaranteed prosperity even if u don't go to church.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by samorijack(m): 4:37pm On Dec 07, 2006
christianity in nigeria as far as i can see is really inches deep and miles wide ,it really has no real impact on thesocio-political scene in nigeria, these prosperity preachers are making a living off our misery,on core socio-political issues they are neither here nor there,they doulble speak and have a 'spritual explanation' for everything, it's sad that my people can't see the light
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by femi4love(m): 4:41pm On Dec 07, 2006
@chx Prosperity is good by the way. The churches are bastardizing the topic i agree. But let us remember that once u serve God, u are guaranteed prosperity even if u don't go to church.

I believe your service to God could only be maximized when you serve the body of Christ, which is the church. The church is not the building, but the people. You can only serve the people when you fellowship with the people or keep contact with the people. Forget not that serving God is about serving the people of God. God doesn't need your money to feed, He was working in the beginning and He still works. Jesus served the Father by seeking for and saving the lost on earth, He didn't stop there, but went to the temple ( Even when he was only 12), to listen and teach the people and also heal them.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Grouppoint(m): 6:44pm On Dec 07, 2006
Christ jesus preached prosperity and healing more than He preached on any other issue.
If these were not the real issues of the day, the messages would not have been valid.

In Europe and US, a preacher cannot expect to dwell too much on healing message when God has already provided adequate hospitals and doctors.

So it follows that If the Nigerian and American prosperity preachers do a good job, it means many people will become prosperous, and when the average Nigerian becomes well to do, the message of propsperity will become less relevant.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by zukkie4eva(f): 7:19pm On Dec 07, 2006
God Bless you grouppoint.  smiley
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by goodguy(m): 7:33pm On Dec 07, 2006
Once again, I think I have to agree with Grouppoint here. . from this part:

Grouppoint:

If these were not the real issues of the day, the messages would not have been valid.

In Europe and US, a preacher cannot expect to dwell too much on healing message when God has already provided adequate hospitals and doctors.

So it follows that If the Nigerian and American prosperity preachers do a good job, it means many people will become prosperous, and when the average Nigerian becomes well to do, the message of propsperity will become less relevant.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Akolawole(m): 7:48pm On Dec 07, 2006
Grouppoint:

Christ jesus preached prosperity and healing more than He preached on any other issue.

Please dont mingle healing with it.

The theme of this thread is prosperity.

Can you give us 10 out of such places where Jesus preaches prosperity.

Thank God, there is no excuses in heaven.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Ndipe(m): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2006
Grouppoint, I would have to disagree with you on that. Jesus Christ preached about the Love of God to mankind, He, being an example of God's Love to die for our sins. That was the essence of his preaching, in addition to repentance. Please dont let anybody deceive you into believing that Jesus Christ preached about prosperity. He even gave us this warning.

“Don’t store treasures for yourselves here on earth where moths and rust will destroy them and thieves can break in and steal them. But store your treasures in heaven where they cannot be destroyed by moths or rust and where thieves cannot break in and steal them. Your heart will be where your treasure is.” (Matthew 6 v 19-21)

And another one. "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Mark 10:25)
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by elampiro(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2006
In support of Ndipe. Jesus told a young rich man who wanted to know what it takes to gain salvation to go and sell his properties, and give the money to the poor and come to follow him.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by LiquidMind(m): 11:36pm On Dec 07, 2006
It is written,

In the last days men would be lovers of pleasure Rather than lovers of GOD,

These false prophets would be money hungry, smooth talkers (2 Peter 2:3). A growing number of TV evangelists epitomize this. They twist the Scriptures, using misleading words, to make merchandise of you.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by zukkie4eva(f): 12:01pm On Dec 08, 2006
Who said Christ did not preach prosperity, Maybe you have a myopic understanding of the word properity. Prosperity is total complete physical and spiritual wellbeing. A sick rich man to me is not prosperous.

Jesus Christ preached prosperity because He said in God's word, that He was called to preach the gospel to the POOR, recovery of sight to the blind, and deliverance to the captives. Now that to me, is prosperity in itself! Did you read in the bible that God made Isaac rich?, He prospered him so much, that he became mightily great and waxed strong??

Do you know that it costs money to preach the gospel??, to go on air, distribute ministry materials, e.t.c.?? That is why God is increasing His children because He knows when He blesses them, they would use it in propagating the gospel.

When you go to church, don't open your ears wide open only when the pastor begins to preach on prosperity, open your ears also when he begins to preach salvation and make those altar calls that even you yourself, ignore. The whole message of prosperity is embedded in salvation.

REMEMBER, CHRIST WAS MADE POOR FOR OUR SAKES SO THAT THROUGH HIS POVERTY WE MIGHT BECOME RICH! grin
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by otanaworld: 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2006
Personally, am not against the message of prosperity but my problem is how do the prosperity of the churches influence our society. For example, the universities owned by some of the Churches are of the highest paid tutions in the country today. None of the missions have any social institution such as well equipped hospitals to assist the poor as done by the early methodists and catholics that came to Nigeria. Infact, many if not all do not even have far reaching welfare programmes for even their less privileged members.

The question I often ask myself is that, if it were Jesus Christ that built these universities etc. which sector of the population would he have desired to reach? After all, remember, these institutions are financed by the offerings and tithes of all the members of the congregation. SO HELP US GOD!
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 08, 2006
I'm not really bothered about the prosperity message per se because Nigerians need all the mental uplifting we can get. What bothers me the most is that church leaders seem to be honestly concerned with financial gains as opposed to spiritual gains. What's a pastor doing with private businesses and things of that nature?, Pastor shouldn't starve but I don't believe they should be concerned with personal finances.
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by kellybaba(m): 9:22pm On Dec 08, 2006
zukkie4eva:

Who said Christ did not preach prosperity, Maybe you have a myopic understanding of the word properity. Prosperity is total complete physical and spiritual wellbeing. A sick rich man to me is not prosperous.

Jesus Christ preached prosperity because He said in God's word, that He was called to preach the gospel to the POOR, recovery of sight to the blind, and deliverance to the captives. Now that to me, is prosperity in itself! Did you read in the bible that God made Isaac rich?, He prospered him so much, that he became mightily great and waxed strong??

Do you know that it costs money to preach the gospel??, to go on air, distribute ministry materials, e.t.c.?? That is why God is increasing His children because He knows when He blesses them, they would use it in propagating the gospel.

When you go to church, don't open your ears wide open only when the pastor begins to preach on prosperity, open your ears also when he begins to preach salvation and make those altar calls that even you yourself, ignore. The whole message of prosperity is embedded in salvation.

REMEMBER, CHRIST WAS MADE POOR FOR OUR SAKES SO THAT THROUGH HIS POVERTY WE MIGHT BECOME RICH! grin

Bros,i cant agree less wit u.
For d 'uniniated',pls read 3John1:2 and again in the book of Psalms,it was xpressely written dt "The LORD delights in the PROSPERITY of His servant".
Let him that hear listen to d syings of d Spirit
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by kellybaba(m): 9:23pm On Dec 08, 2006
if you detest prosperity, please try p-o-v-e-r-t-y ! ! ! !
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by shinystar(m): 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2006
It is not so much about whether prospeity is a biblical truth as our attitude to it. The rate we are now, it has become the mainstay of the church and the emphasis of pastors. One gets the feeling that the only reason why one should be a christain is to propser.

Why God is happy that we prosper, he expects us to be holy and pure. If we are sincere with ourselves, it has been preached to a nauseating state. That is why the only thing that counts is your financial worth. If you are poor or struggling, people now think there is sth wrong between you and God. let us face it, we have maginfied it to the extent that result is only measured in monetary terms.

I love to propser but I should love to serve God in righteousness the more. You can be rich and go to hell. The time to determine whether we are serious abt eternity is now or never. Thanks
Re: The Poison Called Prosperity by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:34pm On Dec 10, 2006
@kellybaba

thats not what he meant.but the way these pastors go about it undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Walid Shoebat - Explains The Real Motivations Behind The Palestinian Struggle / Radical Muslims Kill Over 100 Muslims At Mosques In Sanaa, ..what Else Is New? / There Are Gods, Yes, Many Of Them AND There Is An Almighty Creator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.