Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 (2093 Views)

How Silverbird Uyo Bungled Movie Premiere With Failed Generators / Silverbird Cinemas Ikeja(shoprite) Vs Silverbird. Galleria(lekki) / Silverbird Cinemas, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by disturbed(m): 5:03pm On Sep 17, 2009
A friend of mine recommended district 9.
I got to the cinemas today to go see it but it has already been banned.

I asked why and the attendant said. .'the management decided to stop showing the movie because it insulted Nigeria and Nigerians.

I mean??
Are u kidding me?? It was just a movie.!
Or wat do u guys think?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by justkunmi(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2009
Why.are.people.sooooo.narrow.minded.!??

They.banned.a.beautiful.movie.cos.Nigeria.was.''insulted''
So.so.childish, !
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 17, 2009
it wasnt banned. They just decided not to air it.

Only in Nigeria would people pay money to see themselves being abused and not even in a humorous manner.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Gamine(f): 7:25pm On Sep 17, 2009
Confirmed, the FG threatened to shut Silverbird if they didnt stop showing it.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by justkunmi(m): 7:54pm On Sep 17, 2009
Gamine
Are.u.kidding.me?
That.serious?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 17, 2009
overseas you see people boycotting pillow/mattress companies in protest of how geese are treated when goose feathers are needed.

In Nigeria you get applauded the more abuse you heap on yourself. Even more if others do it for you.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by morpheus24: 9:05pm On Sep 17, 2009
I support the ban.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by texazzpete(m): 10:20pm On Sep 17, 2009
morpheus24:

I support the ban.

tpia.:

overseas you see people boycotting pillow/mattress companies in protest of how geese are treated when goose feathers are needed.

In Nigeria you get applauded the more abuse you heap on yourself. Even more if others do it for you.

When you grew up seeing Rambo gun down hundreds of generic Afghans, or when you cheered Chuck Norris on as he slew thousands of North Vietnamese soldiers, did you complain? Dont you watch movies done by Americans depicting their fellow Americans as killers, drug dealers, double agents etc?
In the smash hit 'Osuofia in London', was the sole Briton there depicted in a very positive light?
When you call that bag 'Ghana-must-go', do you feel you're insulting Ghana?

Nigerians can be such whiny hypocrites, consumed with faux patriotism. 90% of you educated elite that are whining and signing petitions did not even turn up to vote in the last elections.
I'm glad i watched the movie. It was splendid!
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Gamine(f): 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2009
faux patriotism

Now thats the word
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by nana(f): 10:49pm On Sep 17, 2009
Sup with the banning anyway? Glad I watched the movie. Really enjoyed watching it. I felt sorry for Wikus and the *prawns*.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by kellorah: 1:26am On Sep 18, 2009
You should blame the bad Nigerians that gave 9ja a bad name instead of agreeing with the stupid Govt to ban a movie.
Well, it's ur loss anyways, cos I heard it's one of the best movies of the year. I'm yet to see it.

I would have thought the Govt had better things to do with their time. O well!
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by nana(f): 1:49am On Sep 18, 2009
kellorah:

You should blame the bad Nigerians that gave 9ja a bad name instead of agreeing with the stupid Govt to ban a movie.
Well, it's your loss anyways, cos I heard it's one of the best movies of the year. I'm yet to see it.

I would have thought the Govt had better things to do with their time. O well!
Dont mind those bloody rulers. U will def. enjoy the movie. I plan watching it again sef.
Check this page for some links to the movie: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-244544.64.html
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by adaku123(f): 2:03am On Sep 18, 2009
Considering I Voted in The Last Elections(Although It Really Didnt Count)---- I Guess I Have A RIght To Speak   grin grin grin grin

I Support D Ban---- I Saw D Movie ---Was Very Embarrased --Then It Turned To Annoyance Then Rage !!

If A Movie Is Gonna Potray The Truths About Nigeria Even If iTs The Bad--- Then Yes Lets Line up And See It!!! ---But To Pick Different Evils From Parts Of Africa And Put  It All On Nigeria!!! Why Should We Want To Pay Our Money To see That?

If D Afghan & Vietnamese Govt Have A Problem With Rambo & Chuck Norris-- They Should Take It Up-- Wats Our Business!! We R Not Here To Fight ANother Persons War---- Other Movies Have Had Parts Dat Didnt Exactly Potray Us in a Gud Lite But It Was D Truth Most Times--- Dis Is Different---

As Nigerians We Shouldnt Pay To See Dis BS Or  Even Help Give D Guy Money To Make Part 2!!!!  Those STupid Prawns !! angry angry
----Anyway In The Spirit Of Democracy-- its A Choice At The End --- D Govt Probably Should Ve Let People Choose!!!
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:09am On Sep 18, 2009
So which is it?

You support the ban or people should choose?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Gamine(f): 2:13am On Sep 18, 2009
@Adaku

What are you saying? When did we start dealing in diamonds and wearing red beret #wolverine

Im sure you also supported the ban of "maga don pay"
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by adaku123(f): 2:21am On Sep 18, 2009
@ ThiefOfHearts
I Obviously Support The Ban But Am Saying Ppl Should Still Be Able To Make A Choice !!!

@Gamine--- Yes We Dont HAve Diamonds But It Wouldnt Be BAd If We Did grin grin
I didnt even know they banned maga don pay ---rofl-- i luv dat song
Although I supported the banning of BENG BENG BENG on public Radio-- My Brothers Child Always Asked Me Wat It Meant I play it privately though grin grin grin
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Gamine(f): 2:25am On Sep 18, 2009
Your double standard is heartworming smiley
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by adaku123(f): 2:28am On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

Your double standard is heartworming  smiley
I CAnt Help IT--- MOst Things Arent Black & White/ Good or BAd--- It Just depends on the situation!!!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Nobody: 2:32am On Sep 18, 2009
texazzpete:

When you grew up seeing Rambo gun down hundreds of generic Afghans, or when you cheered Chuck Norris on as he slew thousands of North Vietnamese soldiers, did you complain? Dont you watch movies done by Americans depicting their fellow Americans as killers, drug dealers, double agents etc?
In the smash hit 'Osuofia in London', was the sole Briton there depicted in a very positive light?
When you call that bag 'Ghana-must-go', do you feel you're insulting Ghana?

Nigerians can be such whiny hypocrites, consumed with faux patriotism. 90% of you educated elite that are whining and signing petitions did not even turn up to vote in the last elections.
I'm glad i watched the movie. It was splendid!

what are you going on about?
Who is the Nigerian equivalent of Chuck Norris and Rambo? And did I tell you I watched any of those movies?

abeg stop confusing me with whoever in order to justify whatever you say your point is.

Which one is Osuofia in London?

And do I use Ghana must go muchless talk about it. The last time I used such a bag was ages ago and I didnt even call it that. And if you want to throw a pity party over Ghana must go, then what type of bags did the Nigerians carry when they were expelled from Ghana in the sixties or fifties? Any name for that?

Typical Nigerian- crying louder for people who dont give a rat's ass about him.

You're free to tender your protest in kind or in writing opposing the ban. Its a free world.

If the only reason why you feel people would oppose this movie is on the grounds on patriotism and whatever your interpretation of that is, then you must be dumber than I thought.

Dont you watch movies done by Americans depicting their fellow Americans as killers, drug dealers, double agents etc?

so is this a movie done by Nigerians depicting their fellow Nigerians as killers, drug dealers, double agents, etc?

You and your kind just dont get it, do you?

and you never will.

Maybe you should go help SA protest on behalf of Semenya right now- that's a cause that will get you in their good books. Something you and yours can understand too- at least it isnt a Nigerian involved.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by justkunmi(m): 9:07am On Sep 18, 2009
Why.are.we.all.so.small.minded?

Nigeria.wasnt.portrayed.so.well.in.a.movie. ?. So.wat?
Look.past.that.and.see.how.beautiful.the.movie.is.
I.guess.we.are.too.busy.tyring.to.see.the.'insult'.

Im.so.sure.half.the.people.here.heard.they.insulted.Nigeria.before.going.to.see.the.movie. And.while.watching. .they.were.eagerly.looking.forward.to.the.insults.

And.If.I.may.ask?. Wat.was.the.insult.infact?
That.Nigerians.eat.aliens.to.get.powers.
Really. . Was.that.what.you.guys.call.insult?
Aint.that.fiction.enough
Lawd.have.mercy.!!
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Reptyle(m): 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2009
I am very very happy with the ban. As a matter of fact, I advocated it long before now. I am happy that the government imposed the ban.

In arts, there is something called artistic license. The writers of that movie, however, went overboard with their potrayal of Nigerians in the light they did. They even went as far as potraying an ex-leader of the country as the leader of the depraved gang. In most of the foreign movies some of you are so quick to refer to, the targeted countries are usually referred to by a fictional name.

There is no way the writers of this movie can tell me that the derogatory potrayal of Nigerians was not done with a malicious intent. Are we the worst country in the world? Why did they not use South Africa?

Does South Africa not have one of the highest crime rates in the world?

Do they not have one of the highest occurences of the HIV/AIDS pandemic in the world?

Was it not in South Africa that men were raping infants to death because they believed that was a way of getting a cure for AIDS?

Did the citizens of the so-called orange state not recently engage in a wide scale xenophobia by publicly lynching citizens of other African countries for frivolous reasons?

Is that country not the only country in the whole of Africa that has voted to recognize gay marriages?

Puhleeze!!!!! Why can't they pick on any of these vices (and others too numerous to mention) as the theme of their movie? Yet they go on to portray Nigerians as scammers and depraved prostitutes and Nigerians up in here stand up and give them a standing ovation?!!!! C'mon guys!!!

Call me backward and narrow-minded. Even call me a "faux patriot." Whatever! I am proud to be a Nigerian and I am aware of all the issues plaguing my country. I just will not have them rubbed in my face in such a derogatory manner. The movie is out there and more damage has already been done to our badly damaged reputation. But I am glad the government is a little more responsive to stuff like this. I hope with the noise been made, other Hollywood producers will think twice about doing another Sony PS3 or District 9 on our asses.

Just my own opinion sha!!!

Oh! And by the way, I also supported the ban of that crappy music track "Maga don pay"
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by nellaluv(f): 1:06pm On Sep 19, 2009
U guys should help madam rebranding nw, at least she's doin sometin, tryin 2 rebrand Nigeria. To think dat it's d same sony dat produced d film.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by AloyEmeka6: 2:15pm On Sep 19, 2009
tpia.:

what are you going on about?
Who is the Nigerian equivalent of Chuck Norris and Rambo? And did I tell you I watched any of those movies?

abeg stop confusing me with whoever in order to justify whatever you say your point is.

Which one is Osuofia in London?

And do I use Ghana must go muchless talk about it. The last time I used such a bag was ages ago and I didnt even call it that. And if you want to throw a pity party over Ghana must go, then what type of bags did the Nigerians carry when they were expelled from Ghana in the sixties or fifties? Any name for that?

Typical Nigerian- crying louder for people who dont give a rat's ass about him.

You're free to tender your protest in kind or in writing opposing the ban. Its a free world.

If the only reason why you feel people would oppose this movie is on the grounds on patriotism and whatever your interpretation of that is, then you must be dumber than I thought.

so is this a movie done by Nigerians depicting their fellow Nigerians as killers, drug dealers, double agents, etc?

You and your kind just dont get it, do you?

and you never will.

Maybe you should go help SA protest on behalf of Semenya right now- that's a cause that will get you in their good books. Something you and yours can understand too- at least it isnt a Nigerian involved.

Texazzpette made an analogy with Ghana must go bag. Even a fish will understand that he is talking about the profanity hidden in the name and how it may not sound funny to Ghananians. Its isn't about you, old lady. It is not about how you carry one either. You are more interested in quarelling with him than understanding what he wrote.  Ogbanje may be the cause of this behaviour. Are you ogbanje?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by maedan(f): 6:19pm On Sep 19, 2009

If it's true, then thumbs up to the Silverbird people. I can't imagine sitting at a movie theatre with my compatriots and laughing through the scenes about Nigerians that some people seem to find "funny". If this was a Hollywood movie and Americans used Canadians as the butt of the dumb racist jokes, what do you think will happen? It's like looking at the 9-11 disaster and thinking, Damn those terrorists did a thorough job, though they killed thousands of people. "District 9 is a funny movie, what's the fuss about the Nigerian slurs?" Shame on you.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Gamine(f): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2009
I dont think anybody likes the way we were potrayed,
what we even dislike more is the Govt.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by semid4lyfe(m): 11:39pm On Sep 19, 2009
I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

The same Sony that did the playstation ad also produced this movie.

Sony must have some serious issues with Nigeria and Nigerians.

Anyhow sha, I'm glad the movie was banned.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 19, 2009
maybe Sony lost out on a lucrative Nigerian deal which was awarded to one of their competitors.

what's next?  A District 9 video game showcasing Nigerian cannibals ?

nonsense.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by kellorah: 12:05am On Sep 20, 2009
Hahahahaha. Keep killing urselves. The movie is doing well, and everyone's saying it's a great movie.

The Govt should be banning other things, including themselves, nonsense!! I wish they would all just drop dead someday!

Well, u guys can always watch Aki n Paw Paw and all that rubbish to compensate. At least in those ones Nigeria isn't being insulted.
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 20, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Texazzpette made an analogy with Ghana must go bag. Even a fish will understand that he is talking about the profanity hidden in the name and how it may not sound funny to Ghananians. Its isn't about you, old lady. It is not about how you carry one either. You are more interested in quarelling with him than understanding what he wrote.  Ogbanje may be the cause of this behaviour. Are you ogbanje?

shut up you devil and transgendered.

Your family is noted for ogbanje- go deal with it.

ancient streetwalking son of a streetwalking mother.

is your name texaspette or did your hormonal medication for growing female boobs fail you today?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:34am On Sep 22, 2009
what Sony ad?
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Ced8: 12:47am On Sep 22, 2009
the govt wants to salvage Nigeria's image,deal with CORRUPTION and INTERNET SCAMS,not waste resourses on really silly mattters as these! angry
Re: Silverbird Cinemas Bans District 9 by Ced8: 12:51am On Sep 22, 2009
plus,it is a really good muvee! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Show Do You Think Is Better.family Guy Or South Park / Who Has The Best Team Of Super Heroes? Dc Comics Or Marvel? / Have You Seen The Monster Muziq Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.