Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist (612 Views)

10 Animals That Don’t Look Dangerous But Are Actually Deadly / 7 Words We Use Daily, Which Don’t Exist In The Dictionary - #7 Is A Must See / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday, But Which Don't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ShySteady(m): 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my assertion, till they manage to invent a popular version of English like we did (Pidgin English), they can keep on doubting.

Although there are many awesome things Nigerians do, we do have some face palm moments. Don’t laugh too hard at the five words Nigerians use that doesn’t exist in the English dictionary:

1. Installmentally
This doesn’t exist anywhere else except only in Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search “Installmentally” on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

2. Night-Vigil
This is another one I don’t understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

3. Cunny 
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean “cunning”. How is that for a giant leap forward?

4. Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn’t exist.

5. Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European custom of watching over a corpse till it’s buried (called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as “wake keep” or even “wake keeping”.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 26, 2016
Conji: The Nigerian saying for vascongestion.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Juxtified(m): 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2016
lol. Instalmentally is a nice word. Even when I found out recently that it is not located in any standard English dictionary, I still continued using it, till this day because I like it. There's nothing wrong with it. It is neither grammatically nor semantically wrong, just that it is non existent.
Maybe if we keep using it the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary will consider recognizing it officially.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Flexherbal(m): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2016
That is Africanisation of English.

(1) (Reply)

Broke:your Finest Moments(pictures) / Ayanma!! Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession / 6 Unprecedented Ways Of Becoming An Internet Sensation In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.