Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Solar-powered Aircraft Completes Historic Circumnavigation Of The Earth - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Solar-powered Aircraft Completes Historic Circumnavigation Of The Earth (947 Views)

NASA Launches Parker Solar Probe For Historic Mission To The Sun (Photos) / Tobi Ayanwoye Develops Alarm Footmat, Solar-Powered Mower & Grinder / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Solar-powered Aircraft Completes Historic Circumnavigation Of The Earth by 400billionman: 11:52pm On Jul 26, 2016
Solar Impulse 2 has completed the first round-the-world flight by a solar-powered aeroplane, after touching down in Abu Dhabi early on Tuesday.

The final leg of the feat, aimed at showcasing the potential of renewable energy, was a bumpy one, with turbulence driven by hot desert air leaving the solo pilot, Bertrand Piccard, fighting with the controls.

The plane, which has a wingspan wider than a Boeing 747 and carries more than 17,000 solar cells on its wings, began the circumnavigation in March 2015 in Abu Dhabi. It has since crossed both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans using no fossil fuel and has spent more than 23 days in the air.

Speaking to the Guardian from the cockpit shortly before landing, Piccard said he was feeling emotional as he neared the end of the journey: β€œIt is a very, very special moment – it has been 15 years that I am working on this goal.

β€œI hope people will understand that it is not just a first in the history of aviation, but also a first in the history of energy,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/26/solar-impulse-plane-makes-history-completing-round-the-world-trip

Re: Solar-powered Aircraft Completes Historic Circumnavigation Of The Earth by EYIMICHAEL(m): 12:02am On Jul 27, 2016
Good innovation
But in Lala voice.. What EF sun suddenly comot
Re: Solar-powered Aircraft Completes Historic Circumnavigation Of The Earth by Chazzyboy: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2016
EYIMICHAEL:
Good innovation
But in Lala voice.. What EF sun suddenly comot
battery dey

(1) (Reply)

Ireal Pro 2021 Mac Serial Number / Should I Give Mtn Money When I Can Browse Free On My Desktop ? / Mobile Number Portability, A Lame Move By NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.