Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,512 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! (5935 Views)

Jabdulhamid Romantic Story Writing Competetion / Call For Submissions: The New Man Writing Contest 2018 / Etisalat Flash Writing Contest 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 2:28pm On Jul 27, 2016
http://afritalks.com/ams/the-afritalks-short-story-contest-2016.6/

THE AFRITALKS SHORT STORY CONTEST.

Are you a writer? Then this is for you.

Afritalks.com is hosting a short story competition open to all writers and aspiring writers based anywhere in the world. This competition is aimed at supporting and encouraging writers as well as helping to build our reading culture.

[B]How to Participate[/B]

1. Write a short story under any genre of your choice of not more than 2000 words.

2. Log on to Afritalks.com and sign up for an account if you haven't already done so before. Go to the literature section under entertain or simply folow this link, [URL='http://www.afritalks.com/forums/literature.41/']Literature[/URL]

3. Click on 'Create Showcase' button on the top right corner of the page, click continue on the prompt that pops up.

4. On the new page, click on the item name text box and choose 'Writing Contest’ accompanied by the title of your story along with #Africontest.

E.g

Item name : Writing contest The Beautiful Peacock #Africontest

If your title is NOT written like this, it won't be recognised as an entry for the competition. You are not allowed to publish more than one story for this competition.

5. Item description is optional but it would be great if you could write a short synopsis and add cover art images related to your story to spice things up and pique the reader's interest.

6. Share the link to your story showcase with your friends, fans and followers on facebook, google plus, twitter and other social media platforms and have them sign up on Afritalks.com, read, RATE and drop REVIEWS on your story.

Note: It is important for them to [B]REVIEW[/B] and [B]RATE[/B] your story because the number of [B]REVIEWS[/B] for a story is equal to the number of votes.

Also, Plagiarism or copying someone else's work and passing it off as yours is grossly forbidden. All stories will be cross checked for plagiarism and any writer found guilty will be disqualified.

How Winners will be determined

We have two stages. First stage and final stage.

For the first stage, winners will be picked based on number of reviews and ratings they get on their story . The five stories with the highest number of reviews will make it on to the second stage.

Warning: Anyone caught cheating by voting with multiple accounts will be banned and their reviews deleted.

After the finalists are selected, the judges will now read the works of the finalists as well as REVIEWS s left by readers. Your works will be judged based on "Writing style, grammatical errors, spelling errors and most importantly, structure. When the judges are through, three winners will emerge.

The prizes are as follows

* First position- N20,000

* Second position- N10,000

* Third position- N5,000

Note: All winners must have a minimum of 30 reasonable post counts before retrieveing their prizes.

Date:

August 1st - 24th (12:00 PM)---Write your story, publish it on Afritalks.com and start inviting your friends and social media acquaintances to like and comment on it. Please note that you are allowed to publish only one story.

August 24th- 25th: voting ends and screening for stage one commences.

August 25th-30th: Finalists would be announced and screening of finalists commences.

August 31st:Winners will be announced.

So what are you waiting for? Get writing and get your friends involved and you could win this!

All the best!

Cc: Donkross1 and other writers in the house.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 2:30pm On Jul 27, 2016
Pls ask me any questions here, I'm the customer service rep, lol.
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2016
Repogirl complete your story na sad
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Repogirl complete your story na sad
lol! So you are one of the silent followers abi?

I will complete it soon,kpele.

Thanks for following, I love your work also.
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by olanshile2016(m): 2:46pm On Jul 27, 2016
hope repogirl is not a participant or else undecided
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 2:48pm On Jul 27, 2016
olanshile2016:
hope repogirl is not a participant or else undecided
Naaah, I'm not, so you have a fair chance of winning. grin
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by olanshile2016(m): 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
repogirl:
Naaah, I'm not, so you have a fair chance of winning. grin

cheesy, *relaxed*

1 Like

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 27, 2016
repogirl:
lol! So you are one of the silent followers abi?
I will complete it soon,kpele.

Thanks for following, I love your work also.

Trust me, I'm not silent grin grin

You're welcome, thanks too

@the contest, the requirements seem stringent but then again 20k is not chicken change especially in this era of APC's change. I may try my luck, depending on how much time, my schedule allows.

But kudos to the organizers! More money to their bank account cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2016
Suigeneris93:

Trust me, I'm not silent grin grin

You're welcome, thanks too

@the contest, the requirements seem stringent but then again 20k is not chicken change especially in this era of APC's change. I may try my luck, depending on how much time, my schedule allows.

But kudos to the organizers! More money to their bank account cheesy
Do try, it's only 2000 words and with your fan base here, you should be able to sail through the first stage. You never know.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by johnwizey: 3:44pm On Jul 27, 2016
Bibijay123, wanna try
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by RemenZack(f): 4:36pm On Jul 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing this for me.

1 Like

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by bibijay123(f): 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2016
johnwizey:
Bibijay123, wanna try

Hmmmn embarassed

Don't know ooo

Yes I wanna! can i use my current story?"
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by johnwizey: 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2016
bibijay123:

Hmmmn embarassed
Don't know ooo
Lool......no p
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by donkross1(m): 5:42pm On Jul 27, 2016
Egbon mi Peju, hafar na wink.

Olanshile2016 I see you cheesy

RemenZack Sup sup smiley
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by olanshile2016(m): 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2016
donkross1:

RemenZack Sup sup smiley

oga donkroos1, how the thing go be now
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by olanshile2016(m): 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2016
donkross1:

RemenZack Sup sup smiley

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by donkross1(m): 7:47pm On Jul 27, 2016
olanshile2016:

Make we enter the contest na grin

1 Like

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by olanshile2016(m): 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2016
donkross1:

Make we enter the contest na grin
No need of contesting with guru like you
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 10:52pm On Jul 27, 2016
ClassCaptain, I can see you o. Hope you'll contest?

Donkross1, aburo mi, you know what to do Na. Pls mention your friends and even your enemies. Let them partake in this contest.

Olanshile2016, you can beat donkross jare, he doesn't have two heads. grin

Remenzack, you're welcome. I'll be expecting your entry.

Bibijay123, you can use any story as far as it's 2000 words or less.

Johnwizey, are you not a writer/ aspiring writer yourself?
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by johnwizey: 11:18pm On Jul 27, 2016
repogirl:
ClassCaptain, I can see you o. Hope you'll contest?

Donkross1, aburo mi, you know what to do Na. Pls mention your friends and even your enemies. Let them partake in this contest.

Olanshile2016, you can beat donkross jare, he doesn't have two heads. grin

Remenzack, you're welcome. I'll be expecting your entry.

Bibijay123, you can use any story as far as it's 2000 words or less.

Johnwizey, are you not a writer/ aspiring writer yourself?
Writer ke!! Lets just leave it to the badoos u mentioned since you can't contest yourself
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by RemenZack(f): 7:28am On Jul 28, 2016
Done.
Anyone kind and sweet is free to vote and view my story for the #AfriContest. Link below;
http://www.afritalks.com/ams/writing-contest-the-verdict-africontest.8/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by 1miccza: 7:34am On Jul 28, 2016
repogirl:
http://afritalks.com/ams/the-afritalks-short-story-contest-2016.6/

THE AFRITALKS SHORT STORY CONTEST.

Are you a writer? Then this is for you.

Afritalks.com is hosting a short story competition open to all writers and aspiring writers based anywhere in the world. This competition is aimed at supporting and encouraging writers as well as helping to build our reading culture.

[B]How to Participate[/B]

1. Write a short story under any genre of your choice of not more than 2000 words.

2. Log on to Afritalks.com and sign up for an account if you haven't already done so before. Go to the literature section under entertain or simply folow this link, [URL='http://www.afritalks.com/forums/literature.41/']Literature[/URL]

3. Click on 'Create Showcase' button on the top right corner of the page, click continue on the prompt that pops up.

4. On the new page, click on the item name text box and choose 'Writing Contest’ accompanied by the title of your story along with #Africontest.

E.g

Item name : Writing contest The Beautiful Peacock #Africontest

If your title is NOT written like this, it won't be recognised as an entry for the competition. You are not allowed to publish more than one story for this competition.

5. Item description is optional but it would be great if you could write a short synopsis and add cover art images related to your story to spice things up and pique the reader's interest.

6. Share the link to your story showcase with your friends, fans and followers on facebook, google plus, twitter and other social media platforms and have them sign up on Afritalks.com, read, RATE and drop REVIEWS on your story.

Note: It is important for them to [B]REVIEW[/B] and [B]RATE[/B] your story because the number of [B]REVIEWS[/B] for a story is equal to the number of votes.

Also, Plagiarism or copying someone else's work and passing it off as yours is grossly forbidden. All stories will be cross checked for plagiarism and any writer found guilty will be disqualified.

How Winners will be determined

We have two stages. First stage and final stage.

For the first stage, winners will be picked based on number of reviews and ratings they get on their story . The five stories with the highest number of reviews will make it on to the second stage.

After the finalists are selected, the judges will now read the works of the finalists as well as REVIEWS s left by readers. Your works will be judged based on "Writing style, grammatical errors, spelling errors and most importantly, structure. When the judges are through, three winners will emerge.

The prizes are as follows

* First position- N20,000

* Second position- N10,000

* Third position- N5,000

Note: All winners must have a minimum of 30 reasonable post counts before retrieveing their prizes.

Date:

August 1st - 24th (12:00 PM)---Write your story, publish it on Afritalks.com and start inviting your friends and social media acquaintances to like and comment on it. Please note that you are allowed to publish only one story.

August 24th- 25th: voting ends and screening for stage one commences.

August 25th-30th: Finalists would be announced and screening of finalists commences.

August 31st:Winners will be announced.

So what are you waiting for? Get writing and get your friends involved and you could win this!

All the best!

Cc: Donkross1 and other writers in the house.

Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2016
RemenZack:
Done.
Anyone kind and sweet is free to vote and view my story for the #AfriContest. Link below;
http://www.afritalks.com/ams/writing-contest-the-verdict-africontest.8/
Awesome!
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2016
1miccza:

Nice one OP
thanks.
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2016
johnwizey:
Writer ke!! Lets just leave it to the badoos u mentioned since you can't contest yourself
excuses. tongue
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2016
Here is our first story of the contest.....

THE VERDICT by RemenZack

It was dawn, the Sun settling throughout the verdant Village of Mumzi. Mumzi, blessed with abundant forest land, cattle and rich foods. Let's also not forget the unimpeachable verdict given to every known criminal and offender.

Today, the Sun was awake and then came Sky's juice. It was raining slightly, making Children worry if they should play indoors or outdoors.

It was also the day of Ghoro's verdict. It was conceived she had killed her own Husband, Udo, with her small evil hands. Mothers cursed her, while the Men threw small stones at her, as they marched towards the Court, a small shade built many years ago, a place of condemnation and victory.

Ghoro was donned in small filthy clothing, her eyes tired, hair matted roughly and legs bruised and bedraggled with mud. They walked kilometres for hours, until they finally arrived the Court.

The King, his noble Men and a few other insignificant members of the Judiciary were present, ready to pass the verdict on Ghoro's case. She managed to stand, after the gruelling walk.

"Peoples of Mumzi and beyond, today we shall pass verdict on our own daughter, Ghoro Tamuroro. But first, she shall be given the opportunity to speak and defend herself," One of the noble Men remarked, his voice like a woman.

Ghoro was silent until the brawny and hairy Guard hit her severely. She winced in pain and began speaking instantly. The slap an effect on her brain.

"I. Am. Innocent. Please. Free. Me." Ghoro said in a placating tone, but Mothers only cursed the more, while the Men frowned.

"Silence!" The noble Man reacted, his eyes daunting. A great silence fell all over the place, as they continued watching.

Ghoro spoke for a little while, until the King raised his hand, which meant it was time-up for her. A hushed silence continued in the Court, as the King whispered amongst his Men, and that same small noble Man walked forward and began reading the verdict from a small handbook.

Ghoro's eyes were wet now, as she remembered the good times she had with her Husband in the Village of Mumzi. She remembered the good things she had done for the Village women, men and its children. She remembered how her Husband had died in his sleep, but once the Village people heard her loud cries, they quickly put the blame on her.

Also, she remembered all of the discriminating things the People of Mumzi had done to her, making her drink every known concoction and sleep on the cold hard floor for weeks, until her skin ached.

That morning after Ghoro had found Udo dead, next to her naked self, her neighbours, three women with sagging breasts and yellow teeth joined her and her Husband's corpse clapping their hands loudly and calling her names........

Complete, leave awesome reviews and ratings here
http://www.afritalks.com/showcase/the-verdict-africontest.46/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by ashewoboy(m): 11:17pm On Jul 28, 2016
Repogirl(woman) are you the owner of the website? U sef suppose contest na.
Mayb you are just the host like dygeasy? Elucidate.
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 29, 2016
I'll enter,if anything it'll make me take writing more serious.

1 Like

Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by bibijay123(f): 4:30am On Jul 30, 2016
Hi repogirl. Can i post the story now or it starts In August?
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by RemenZack(f): 4:54am On Jul 30, 2016
Nairlanders I need your help. View and review my story in the Africontest now; http://www.afritalks.com/threads/the-verdict-africontest.1324/#post-4631.
Only good reviews tho. God Bless.
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by Mynd44: 6:35am On Jul 30, 2016
Can a learner like me contest?
Re: N20,000 UP FOR GRABS!!! The Afritalks Short Story Writing Contest 2016!!!! by repogirl(f): 8:34am On Jul 30, 2016
Mynd44:
Can a learner like me contest?
Oga Mynd, you are very welcome to contest.

We also wouldn't mind if you could help us shift the topic to the front page site. cheesy

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Book Summary - The Five Love Languages By Gray Chapman / At His Funeral: A Flash Fiction / GTBank Launches Contest To Help Writers Secure Publishing Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.