Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,244 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

Do You Work For Money Or Passion? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do You Work For Money Or Passion? (8940 Views)

Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria In 2018 - Jobberman / When You Work With Someone That Pilfers / Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Osama10(m): 6:37am On Jul 29, 2016
Presently I work for money.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by bigx(m): 6:41am On Jul 29, 2016
What is passion? Ash.awo?
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by dhesire(m): 6:49am On Jul 29, 2016
I remembered telling my former MD I am relishing my duties/roles after one month of taking the job but fast forward 3 months, I remembered vividly telling same MD that I am tired of the 'work' because of poor enumeration.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 29, 2016
What is palm chat again na? angry
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by touchmark(m): 6:54am On Jul 29, 2016
Work for passion in Nigeria as an employee and your employer keep taking you for granted and continually exploit you. Work for the money and have the passion for what you do and you keep on with the highest bidder as you change employer at will. Ultimately, work for yourselg and you see the passion increase as you are in control of your life and time, you see the money rolling in with the grace of God.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by plasay: 6:56am On Jul 29, 2016
Everyone works fo both passion and money.
If u say u work for passion: why do u complain as an ngo?

If u say money: y don't u rubbish ur work or ur work place n see if u wil b paid for rather fired!

Hence; for both!
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Seungid1(f): 6:56am On Jul 29, 2016
In this present economy. I work for money.

Check my signature please
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by sainttwist1(m): 7:07am On Jul 29, 2016
money money money money money
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by DeRay98(m): 7:07am On Jul 29, 2016
Passion can open "bigger doors" for you and bigger things. If you work for the money it's easy to get frustrated when you are under financial pressure and money is lacking. Unfortunately, passion is overlooked by bosses in Nig hence people are discouraged. I love what I do and do it passionately and lots of clients have always complimented me. One day, an impressed client informed me of an opening in his office but I was still on contract so I couldn't take it. 2 yrs later I felt it was time to move so, I contacted him just in case he might know someone who had a space but not expecting his office to still have an opening.
He replied that, though they didn't have an opening but I should email my cv to his official email add. and stay in touch.
2 months later, I was invited for an interview in his company and a week later I was offered the job.
It's the best job I have had in 16yrs of my professional career. It's 3x the worth of my last job. It's been almost 2yrs now and this month I won the employee of the month award.
Passion can take you far and money will eventually come along wella.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by GodblessNig247(m): 7:17am On Jul 29, 2016
sexymoma:
Which passion.. I wrk for money
In Nigeria wey the passion dey...
It all started in school... Most of us want to get good grades cos we want to get a good job.... Not cos we enjoy reading.
Even lecturers will make us understand ni...

So on point buddy. grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by ehiabj(f): 7:17am On Jul 29, 2016
Passion
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by starlingbawa(m): 7:20am On Jul 29, 2016
In my line of work, no one enjoys being surrounded by ocean water and having to stay out there away from family and friends alike for weeks on end. It's mentally challenging because everyday is a boring work routine with very little space for comfort and all what not, And keeping recent happenings in the O and G industry in mind (MILITANCY), you'd understand why i work for the money instead of being passionate about my job!
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Kbul: 7:33am On Jul 29, 2016
I work just for the money 100%.
I dont really love my Job but I do it very well because it pays the bills.
Na the job wey My hand fit grab na him I dey do.

My passion would have been to teach in a secondary school but teaching job in Nigeria would not put the type of food I want to eat on my table.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Yusfulbuoy(m): 7:40am On Jul 29, 2016
When you work with passion and enjoy what you are doing... You get money in return.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by adexsimply(m): 7:44am On Jul 29, 2016
For naija, you need to work PASSIONately for money, else you'll end up being a brokeass. Employers will see you as a certified mumu and a tireless workhorse without compensating you in any reasonable way.

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by espn(m): 7:49am On Jul 29, 2016
Africanman123:
I overheard some of my colleagues talking about the main reason why we work. I also raised the same question to my Palmchat followers. To be sincere I work for both, because I have passion for my job. But can you answer sincerely, what do you really work for? Passing or pay?
if you work for passion..employers will take every advantage of you..use u and at the end u gain nothing..Nigeria is the only country where they expect you to work with passion but they are never ready to recognize your hard work and extra hours they make you put to your job..if you complain they tag you a rebel..

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by achu442(m): 7:51am On Jul 29, 2016
TheSociopath:
Look at the football players, they enjoy themselves on the pitch and still get paid for enjoying themselves. Same with me o, I'm getting paid for enjoying myself

Maybe you are not in Nigeria.

By the time you don't have money to do a deal and u stay without a club in Nigeria
...After you clock 40years that's when u'll know that the passion stuff doesn't work in Nigeria.

And that's why we have Doctors as Bankers,Engineers as Accountants in Nigeria.

That passion stuff only works in the Western world.

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Spells(m): 7:53am On Jul 29, 2016
For Passion, but money keeps the passion alive,. That's just the gospel truth.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by pamcode(m): 8:00am On Jul 29, 2016
croSStodds:
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Na money ooo!!

I was having a discourse with one of my colleagues couple of weeks ago,this nigga is actually a medical officer in a national hospital(one of highest paying for docs in d country)He then brought up the issue of how poorly d docs get remunerated in the country compared to their contemporaries in private firms(Telecoms,banks and O&G)

Nigga started complaining about d start up salary of an entry grad as an executive trainee/EA in d bank OR a field engineer in schlumberger/an insurance marketer/Accountant in d likes of dextroit and KPMG being more than that of a consultant,that which is d zenith of his career..
Na one question I ask am,Na who send you make you pick Medicine,he was actually myopic and only joined d bandwagons in filling d course during jamb having no modicum of sensitisation nor awareness what d thingy holds for him in future ultimately.He isn't satisfied with his remuneration as a doc,even though,he's still comfortable to a reasonable extent.

Vividly,one needs no soothsayer to relay d fact he has no modicum of passion for his job,Na money he dey Find..

As I'm typing, Nigga is doing his MBA in Michigan hoping to switch to d finance sector...
Well I wouldn't want to judge that your friend considering all the stress he might have been through to get the degree especially If he passed through a fed Uni. He might have the passion but when he considers the trouble he went through he might be wondering If it was worth it.

For me Passion and money have to work hand in hand since i have hopes of having my own family in the nearest future.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by boyskola(m): 8:01am On Jul 29, 2016
I work as an event decorator at ABEOKUTA nd I can categorically tell u I work for passion,2 me money is not every thing in life, there will come a time later on in d future wherre u will av all d money in d world bt dre will still b a gap in ur life "fulfillment" r u fulfilled? R u happy in d inner most part of ur heart, did u gather everything u av doing wat u love? Dis nd many more questions will arise wen dat time comes......bt wen u work for d passion u won't work for money;money will work for u,cos no matter hw little u r given u will b satisfied nd it will b enouf for u to do all u want to do.... Am not despising d fact dat money is not important,bt am saying its not d most essential........Working for d money is a different thing entirely from working for passion.....cos when u work for money u r only after d money,so its no ur headache if wat u r doing is well done or not. Bt wen u work for d passion,u perfect dat which u do, nd I assure u x10 of wat u r supposed to b paid will b given to u when u work PASSIONATELY.................nd I Quote "do what u love, not love what u do"

2 Likes

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by jossymife: 8:01am On Jul 29, 2016
There is no way you won't work because of the two. it is just that one must come first.
I believe passion should come first when it comes to work because it is the passion you have that would propel you to work with diligence and much dedication that will bring about promotion and more money.

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by kennycalls(m): 8:05am On Jul 29, 2016
majority in Nigeria works only to make a living..there's no ambition in 9ja only career

1 Like

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Boeing777pilot: 8:09am On Jul 29, 2016
Every single time I step into my office and I look at the myriad of buttons in front of me, I remind myself I do this not for the money but because this is who I am, this is what I love doing. Even if I wasn't paid, I'd still do it anyway. #ProudAviator

3 Likes

Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by kennycalls(m): 8:10am On Jul 29, 2016
I work for money
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by boyskola(m): 8:11am On Jul 29, 2016
espn:
if you work for passion..employers will take every advantage of you..use u and at the end u gain nothing..Nigeria is the only country where they expect you to work with passion but they are never ready to recognize your hard work and extra hours they make you put to your job..if you complain they tag you a rebel..

Nd dats where we r mistaken, its not about ur employers,its about YOU, aving passion 4 wat u do,if d passion is true,no matter wat dey "d employer" do, u will always still b in love for with passion, nd its not compulsorily ur present employer who r going to appreciate u! Some other person somewhere might av being looking at u to reward u
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by favprec12(f): 8:13am On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by boyskola(m): 8:15am On Jul 29, 2016
DeRay98:
Passion can open "bigger doors" for you and bigger things. If you work for the money it's easy to get frustrated when you are under financial pressure and money is lacking. Unfortunately, passion is overlooked by bosses in Nig hence people are discouraged. I love what I do and do it passionately and lots of clients have always complimented me. One day, an impressed client informed me of an opening in his office but I was still on contract so I couldn't take it. 2 yrs later I felt it was time to move so, I contacted him just in case he might know someone who had a space but not expecting his office to still have an opening.
He replied that, though they didn't have an opening but I should email my cv to his official email add. and stay in touch.
2 months later, I was invited for an interview in his company and a week later I was offered the job.
It's the best job I have had in 16yrs of my professional career. It's 3x the worth of my last job. It's been almost 2yrs now and this month I won the employee of the month award.
Passion can take you far and money will eventually come along wella.

God bless u my brother, hope our people learn from dis
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Jayjay0(m): 8:15am On Jul 29, 2016
I work for money. Passion won't pay my bills.
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 29, 2016
If it's the work I love PASSION AND MONEY, if it's the work I don't like MONEY ALONE
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by ExplicitContent: 8:17am On Jul 29, 2016
Everybody working for money, why not make money work for you?
My people lack financial Intelligence cry
Re: Do You Work For Money Or Passion? by Princepoint(m): 8:28am On Jul 29, 2016
work 4 money It only entrepreneur that works for passion in 9ja
passion na another story
When u re highly paid the money will ignite the passion for your job

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Banks Will Halt Retrenchment- CBN / Abia Govt Admits Owing Salaries, Highlights Affected Mdas, Pledges Action / Entry Level Package For Banks You Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.