Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding (5260 Views)

Chinese Smartphone Oppo's Working On A Wireless Charging Mode / Top Smartphone Makers And The Football Teams They Support (PICS) / How Smartphone Makers Are Defrauding Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by vowiski(m): 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
Counterpoint Technology Market Research has released its latest report revealing a new king of the smartphone market in China. Oppo which controlled less than 2% of the China markets in 2014 saw a marginal boost to 6.1% in 2015 and a surprise boost to 23% in 2016, overthrowing Huawei as the biggest smartphone maker in 2016.

The Chinese Smartphone market is a very dynamic market and leaves no room for monopoly; Apple, Samsung and Xiaomi have been market leaders in the past, only to be dethroned. Xiaomi which was hailed as the Apple of China has further dropped in the pecking order. In 2015, the company accounted for 15.1% market share, but now has only 6.8% market share of China’s smartphones in 2016.

The talking point is that the so-called big smartphone brands in Nigeria dominated by Chinese OEM’s do not hold any commanding percentage of market share in their host country. Oppo, Huawei, Vivo, Xiaomi and LeEco are the leading Chinese smartphone brands in China.

There is no mention of Tecno, Infinix, Itel or Gionee in the report. These brands have commanding percentage in Nigeria smartphone market, although it’s impossible to say which of them is the biggest smartphone maker because there are no sufficient data to give an authoritative claim.

Some of the big Chinese brands have already started entering Nigeria's mobile market, Huawei is silently making its presence known and Xiaomi's attempt in Nigeria was reportedly stalled by a legal tussle with Mi-Fone. That’s history now, and you can expect Xiaomi to start pushing its products in Nigeria which would be appealing because they simply have the best budget smartphones in the world with super amazing specs. If you want to debate this claim, the "too-cheap" Xioami Redmi Pro is your answer.

The top questions are;

Who sells more phones in Nigeria? Is it Tecno, Infinix or Gionee?

When these big Chinese brands eventually sees a reason to intensify their presence in Nigeria, will the existing OEM's have anything left in their Arsenal?
http://www.techrez.com/top-5-chinese-smartphone-makers-tecno-gionee-goes-hiding/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Naijji: 5:15pm On Jul 28, 2016
grin
No let some ppl see this thing oh

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by dasphinx1(m): 5:19pm On Jul 28, 2016
Hmmm..... O.P. them go come attack you o grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
Op. Huawei still commands the top position in China and not Oppo. However, Vivo and Oppo are owned by same company.

Xiaomi lost the top place because they didn't release any flagship phone which is the MI series rather concentrating on other things like TVs, Bikes, et al.

All in all they are great brands and LEeCO should be watched out cos they are rich and ready to hit the west anytime soon.

Tecno, Infinix et al are just plain trash although Gionee is still quite better

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:
Op. Huawei still commands the top position in China and not Oppo. However, Vivo and Oppo are owned by same company.

Xiaomi lost the top place because they didn't release any flagship phone which is the MI series rather concentrating on other things like TVs, Bikes, et al.

All in all they are great brands and LEeCO should be watched out cos they are rich and ready to hit the west anytime soon.

In which village does Huawei command top position in China?

You are probably late to what's happening in China right now.

Vivo and Oppo operate independently, just the same way Tecno and Infinix does.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by piperson(m): 6:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
ok
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by piperson(m): 6:40pm On Jul 28, 2016
what next
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2016
TechRez:

Don't be rude. The top three manufacturers in the world are Samsung, Apple and Huawei.

Huawei as a chinese OEM still holds the number one position in China.

Oppo and Vivo operates independently but they are owned by same parent company

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:

Don't be rude. The top three manufacturers in the world are Samsung, Apple and Huawei.

Oppo and Vivo operates independently but they are owned by same parent company

You are relying on a dated source buddy. Do your findings and thank me later.

And I can't remember saying Vivo and Oppo weren't owned by same parent company. I had to buttress it via the inclusion of Tecno and Infinix operational methods.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
TechRez:

You are relying on a dated source buddy. Do your findings and thank me later.

And I can't remember saying Vivo and Oppo weren't owned by same parent company. I had to buttress it via the inclusion of Tecno and Infinix operational methods.

I'm not relying on a dated information.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/samsung-reports-most-profitable-quarter-in-two-years-on-sales-of-galaxy-smartphone-1469666360?client=ms-android-samsung

Huawei still retains the third position behind Apple and Samsung but the number one Chinese OEM. I don't know the correlation between Tecno and Infinix besides been China craps sold in Nigeria.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by gentlegenius(m): 6:57pm On Jul 28, 2016
I think TECNO, Gionee and Infinix are not dull either. They know what they are doing. They have a target market and that is Africa. The other brands can monopolize the China market but their interest lies in the African market and so far, they are succeeding here.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 7:12pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:

I'm not relying on a dated information.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/samsung-reports-most-profitable-quarter-in-two-years-on-sales-of-galaxy-smartphone-1469666360?client=ms-android-samsung

Huawei still retains the third position behind Apple and Samsung but the number one Chinese OEM. I don't know the correlation between Tecno and Infinix besides been China craps sold in Nigeria.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/07/26/oppo-beats-huawei-apple-to-top-smartphone-market-in-china-for-the-first-time/#821c79d61254

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/07/28/oppo-vivo-breaks-into-worlds-top-5-smartphone-rankings/#6c93b04522d5

That Huawei is the third largest smartphone maker in the world doesn't mean it is equally the largest smartphone maker in China!

I think this settles it.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
TechRez:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/07/26/oppo-beats-huawei-apple-to-top-smartphone-market-in-china-for-the-first-time/#821c79d61254

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkang/2016/07/28/oppo-vivo-breaks-into-worlds-top-5-smartphone-rankings/#6c93b04522d5

That Huawei is the third largest smartphone maker in the world doesn't mean it is equally the largest smartphone maker in China!

I think this settles it.

You confused yourself and others who don't know what's up. Your subject says top 5 chinese smartphone makers.

Huawei is the number one Chinese smartphone maker in the world while Oppo is number one in China.

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:

You confused yourself and others who don't know what's up. Your subject says top 5 chinese smartphone makers.

Huawei is the number one Chinese smartphone maker in the world while Oppo is number one in China.

Did you read the body, the first paragraph or the first line? You obviously want to be confused buddy.. IMO

All through the article, there is no reference to global sales.. Neither did the title say (in the world) ..

It's simply a contraction between the Chinese market and Nigeria market.

Next time, read the article before jumping to hit the reply/quote button. Please take a seat!

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by WomanWrappa(m): 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2016
smiley wink
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:

ollah1:

ollah1:
Op. Huawei still commands the top position in China and not Oppo.

Simply a case of an intelligent guy rushing to slam the op without sufficient knowledge of his claim. Then, instead of apologizing starts the blame game.

I won't talk about this issue again buddy, consider this decision as final!
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
TechRez:

Simply a case of an intelligent guy rushing to slam the op without sufficient knowledge of his claim. Then, instead of apologizing starts the blame game.

I won't talk about this issue again buddy, consider this decision as final!

Wait! U have proved ur point earlier which is already taken. What's the meaning of saying an extention and dissing me. Did I diss u in any of the conversations we had? When u wanted to be rude, I put u back on track but it seems u love using negative words just to drive your point.

You mentioned the op, how is he different from you? Isn't the source name the same with ur moniker or you wanna tell us he is a ransom member but decided to use your blog as a reference.

You should learn to drive your points home without been insultive.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TechRez(m): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
ollah1:

Wait! U have proved ur point earlier which is already taken. What's the meaning of saying an extention and dissing me. Did I diss u in any of the conversations we had? When u wanted to be rude, I put u back on track but it seems u love using negative words just to drive your point.

You mentioned the op, how is he different from you? Isn't the source name the same with ur moniker or you wanna tell us he is a ransom member but decided to use your blog as a reference.

You should learn to drive your points home without been insultive.

I am not dising you bro and I don't know why you are simply overrracting. I don't insult people online unless the definition of insult has changed. You are a smart guy and we have had issues before, severally. We don't end up in the mud... I only expected you to retract your bogus statement....

By now, you should know I have nothing but deep respect for you.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by KingRex1(m): 10:15pm On Jul 28, 2016
Nice one OP.. Whenever I see xiaomi phone specs I'm always wowed. They'll definitely slay the Naija smartphone market

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by TeeFeh(f): 11:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
How will someone know who makes more sale nah?
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by frugal(m): 2:30am On Jul 29, 2016
ollah1:

Mi5 was just released. An amazing phone, I use the mi4 - one of the best phones I've used.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by tdayof(m): 4:11am On Jul 29, 2016
Wasn't expecting tecno and infinix to be included. Most Chinese don't even know the phones.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 29, 2016
This attitude of Nigerians to always put down other pop will never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, I use tecno L8 plus. After two months the phone fell (more than once) and the mic stopped working. I went to Carl care and I was given a new phone after 13 days... This is my first tecno, and I do not see myself getting another phone. (without prejudice)

Also, tecno only sell phones in Africa, because they make their phones for the African market (low income, poor electricity supply, limited internet and so on) ... They have stopped selling in Asia as far back as 2008.

So tecno is more of an African brand than Chinese. The only relationship they have with China right now is the fact that the owners are Chinese.

Regards...
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Naijji: 8:35am On Jul 29, 2016
TechRez:

Depends on your source bro. These guys, apart from Apple, do not disclose their exact sales. It's left to research firms to make sales estimates. And there's seldom agreement on the part of the different research firms (they use different methodologies).

The top research firms include; IDC, Strategy Analytics, HIS, Trendforce, Counterpoint, and Canalys.

For the June quarter, Counterpoint finds that Oppo is top in China. On the other hand, Trendforce states that Huawei is top for the same quarter. So, you're both right, just give your source wink

http://m.gsmarena.com/trendforce_huawei_leads_chinese_smartphone_market_samsung_leads_globally-news-19543.php

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/07/oppo-number-one-in-china/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by jacksonPolloc(m): 8:54am On Jul 29, 2016
abeg tell me d code to transfer airtime frm airtel to airtel
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by HyDef(m): 9:11am On Jul 29, 2016
LeEco is a relatively new smartphone brand, so to be 5th on this list is quite a feat. Considering they went for the bang-for-buck approach with their models, it's not so surprising.

They bought Vizio, an American company, very recently. LeEco, which was originally a TV oriented company, might have just bought Vizio, because they as well, make TVs, but they could also use that brand name to launch phones in the US, as the name Vizio will be a lot more welcome by American users. This could mark their move to NA.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Princepoint(m): 9:28am On Jul 29, 2016
my top 5 phones

Blackberry

Samsung

Sony
i-phone

Microsoft
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Naijji: 9:48am On Jul 29, 2016
Princepoint:
my top 5 phones

Blackberry

Samsung

Sony

i-phone

Microsoft

Which Microsoft phone you like?

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by KuliMart: 11:45am On Jul 29, 2016
We can always get the brands on kulimart.com

We've got you covered.
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Talk2nanro(m): 12:00pm On Jul 29, 2016
ollah1:

infinix is the worst of them all, that phone is just like a back of rub. just too too inferior

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Talk2nanro(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
gentlegenius:
I think TECNO, Gionee and Infinix are not dull either. They know what they are doing. They have a target market and that is Africa. The other brands can monopolize the China market but their interest lies in the African market and so far, they are succeeding here.
remove that infinix rub crap from there, e no follow at all
Re: Top 5 Chinese Smartphone Makers: Tecno & Gionee Goes Into Hiding by Naijji: 1:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
Talk2nanro:
remove that infinix rub crap from there, e no follow at all

E be like say Infinix don do you strong thing before grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix S4 Or Samsung Galaxy A20 / How To Activate Airtel 4GB For N500 / My Excellent Experience With Jumia On Return And Refund Of Defective Item

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.