Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring (939 Views)

Cold Cough Cattarhh, Snoring And Dry Skin All Have Answer In Humidifier / A New Solution That Stops Snoring And Let You Sleep / A New Solution That Stops Snoring And Lets You Sleep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 3:26am On Jul 29, 2016
Few months ago while engaging in mindless internet surfing as usual, i stumbled on a rather disturbing article.
It says "According to research conducted by otolaryngologists at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit (USA), finds that snoring is a bigger risk
factor for stoke & heart attack than smoking, being overweight or high cholesterol."
Now, as a snorer and someone who doesn't smoke, drink and is very concious of his health i became disturbed.
I almost brushed the article aside as some of those usual internet lies until i had a second thought to search deeper to confirm how true it is.
As they say, Google is your friend
I hit google frantically using different keywords associated with snoring and its health implications Lo and behold, i got more scared.
so, Its True!!
I didn't usually think any implication of snoring except for the usual distubance of my bed mates.
It doesn't even disturb me much cos i don't even know when i'm snoring until i get tapped by my bedmate.
This discovery got me thinking, i decided to find out if it can be corrected and my research was fruitful.
Snoring happens when you can't move air freely through your nose and throat during sleep. This makes the surrounding tissues vibrate, which produces the familiar snoring sound.
Snoring can gradually be corrected.
Some of the common remedies include
1. Lose weight
2. Evercise Regularly
3. Quit Smoking
4. Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills and sedatives

From my research i also discovered that there are mainly two types of snoreres:-
1. Mouth Snorer
2. Nose Snorer

Can you snore with your mouth closed?
If no, then you are a mouth snorer.
Here is a little test to ascertain if you are a mouth snorer

The Mouth Breathing Test

Open your Mouth and make a snoring noise
Now close your mouth and try to make the same noise
If you can only snore with your mouth open, then you are
a mouth breather.

This video gives a brief explanation and solution to a mouth breather/snorer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwF7Zm_G61I

For the nose snorers don't worry
i'll continue tomorrow a detailed explaination and solution to that.
I hope this helps
See ya 2mao
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by oismail(m): 4:36am On Jul 29, 2016
Snoring is becoming common habit
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 29, 2016
Tomorrow? Fail! Interested to see the suggestions.
I find it frustrating when every article states one has to lose weight to stop snoring. I'm fit, I exercise a lot, I don't smoke however I drink casually. I've found out no matter what size I am I still snore -- it's hereditary for me as both my parents do.

1 Like

Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 9:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
oismail:
Snoring is becoming common habit

You need to keep in mind that snoring is not intentional. Though it’s easy to feel like a victim when someone is disturbing your sleep but
remember that your partner isn’t keeping you awake on purpose.

Snoring is a physical issue. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Like a pulled muscle or a common cold, improving the condition is in one's hands.
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2016
As i was saying yesterday, we have concluded with the mouth snorers and hopefully you have self tested to confirmed if you are one
and you have also watched the short video for the appropriate remedy/solution.

Today we are going to focus on a different category of snorer:- The Nose Snorer

Firstly, we have to self test to see if you are a nose snorer.

The Nose Test

Looking in a mirror, press the side of one nostril to close it. With your mouth closed, breathe in through your other nostril.
If the nostril tends to collapse, try propping it open with the clean end of a matchstick.
If breathing is easier with the nostril propped open, then you are most likely a nose snorer. Test both nostrils.

The effective solutions for nose snorers include:
1. Nose clips
2. Nasal strips
3. Eyebright Nasal spray

These are effective because they help you widen your nasal passage, thus reducing the vibration that causes snoring.
The Nose clip seems to be the cheapest and is also very effective but from my research i noticed most of the nose clips causes more harm than good.
E.g. One of the most peddled nose clip ends up blocking air passage through the nostrils instead of doing the opposite

You need to make an informed choice.

I couldn't find an appropriate video to lay emphasis on nose snoring and i am too tired tonight to create one.
So,For the nose snorers, look in the description box of the youtube video i posted earlier.
You get access to the best solution there.
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 11:24pm On Jul 29, 2016
charix:
Tomorrow? Fail! Interested to see the suggestions.
I find it frustrating when every article states one has to lose weight to stop snoring. I'm fit, I exercise a lot, I don't smoke however I drink casually. I've found out no matter what size I am I still snore -- it's hereditary for me as both my parents do.

I understand your plight, it can be really annoying but those articles aren't far from the truth.
Those little things have been proven to help curb snoring.

That aside,
Your case seems to be different as you've said.
If it is not due to a medical condition such as allergies,cold etc.

Then i am quite sure my suggestions would work.

Step 1:-
Follow the instructions to ascertain if you are a mouth snorer or nose snorer.
Step 2:-
Follow the instructions in the youtube video and or its description box in case you are a nose snorer.

Shalom
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2016
Hope i was able to respond to your questions.
If you have anymore questions,ask and i'll be willing to answer them to the best of my understanding.
If you have snoring issues or you know someone who snores, i encourage you to read my post and watch the youtube video.
Persistent snoring is dangerous to your health.
Save a soul today. smiley
Re: Health Risk Of Snoring And How To Stop Snoring by Belqua(m): 1:15pm On Aug 10, 2016
Belqua:
Hope i was able to respond to your questions.
If you have anymore questions,ask and i'll be willing to answer them to the best of my understanding.
If you have snoring issues or you know someone who snores, i encourage you to read my post and watch the youtube video.
Persistent snoring is dangerous to your health.
Save a soul today. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Blood Pressure Readings / Your Antibacterial Soap May Be Killing You / Five Things Women Should Not Do After S3x(your A Victim Of Number 5)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.