Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,256 members, 7,780,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:17 PM

Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death (43824 Views)

Amaechi Absent At Rivers State 50th Year Thanksgiving Service / Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Honoured At The August Meeting In Imo. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 5:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
According to Richard Akinjide, a cabinet member and which was later corraborated by Sheu Shagari in his own book "Beckoned to Serve"

Talking on the first coup, when Balewa got missing,
we knew Okotie-Eboh had been held, we knew Akintola
had been killed. We, the members of the Balewa cabinet
started meeting. But how can you have a cabinet
meeting without the Prime Minister acting or Prime
Minister presiding. So, unanimously, we nominated
acting Prime Minister amongst us. Then we continued
holding our meetings. Then we got a message that we
should all assemble at the Cabinet office. All the
Ministers were requested by the G.O.C. of the Nigerian
Army, General Ironsi to assemble. What was amazing at
that time was that Ironsi was going all over Lagos
unarmed. We assembled there. Having nominated ZANA
Diphcharima as our acting Prime Minister in the
absence of the Prime Minister, whose whereabout we
didn't know, we approached the acting President,
Nwafor Orizu to swear him in because he cannot
legitimately act as the Prime Minister except he is
sworn- in. Nwafor Orizu refused. He said he needed to
contact Zik who was then in West Indies.

Under the law, that is, the Interpretation Act, as
acting President, Nwazor Orizu had all the powers of
the President. The GOC said he wanted to see all the
cabinet ministers. And so we assembled at the cabinet
office. Well, I have read in many books saying that we
handed over to the military. We did not hand-over.
Ironsi told us that "you either hand over as gentlemen
or you hand-over by force". Those were his words. Is
that voluntary hand-over?
So we did not hand-over. We
wanted an Acting Prime Minister to be in place but
Ironsi forced us, and I use the word force advisedly,
to handover to him. He was controlling the soldiers.
The acting President, Nwafor Orizu, who did not
cooperate with us, cooperated with the GOC. Dr. Orizu
and the GOC prepared speeches which Nwafor Orizu
broadcast handing over the government of the country
to the army.
I here state again categorically as a
member of that cabinet that we did not hand-over
voluntarily. It was a coup.

7 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by aleniboro(m): 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

It was (then) Col Ibrahim Babangida that led the assault, not Danjuma.

Why did Danjuma not take over?

1. They tried to avoid what happened when Ironsi was killed that led to the war by refusing the next in rank, Brig Ogundipe to take over. Obj was next in rank and ought to take over. Having Obj in power then was really nothing to them, because he was an appendage of the north then.

2. Why was he not made second in command to Obj? He is a christian and from northern minority. They needed a muslim from the core north to pair Obj to placate the 'owners' of Nigeria that they have not totally lost power.
It was IBB that led the assaul under direct command of Danjuma! Danjuma insisted that there should be no negotiation when Babangida came back with Dimka's condition. He commanded Babangida to crush the rebellion unconditionally.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Eluwilussit(m): 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2016
rosebowl01:

All these grammar just to justify why he didn't bring justice to the ethnic coup plotters? by the way, 6 months is not "couple of months", it's half a year.

Now I know why people fail English exams. I never inferred that 6 months was a couple of months. A couple of months means 2 months. A couple means 2. So all I said is that killing them within 2 months would have appeared too hasty. Again, January 31 to July 15 is barely 6 months. Learn to read and comprehend.

Ironsi was just 44 yrs. He was one of the few officers in the Nigerian Army that were above 40. We just got our independence 6 yrs earlier and everything was still new to everyone.

We are here today, criticizing every decision those guys made but we fail to learn from their mistakes. We have no moral justification to judge none of those guys. Both the 1st and 2nd groups of coupists. What they fought for or thought they fought for, is still there with us today. Some of us are still at our parents' homes even at their age. All I am saying in a nutshell is this: if we didn't learn any lesson from their mistakes, then we have no locus standi to judge them.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Emyogalanya: 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2016
Why is the first coup called igbo coup while the second is called counter coup.
Why is nnamdi kanu charged for treason and buhari is celebrated as a nationalist. And now president. isn't coup a reasonable offence . United nations pls take note
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2016
oglalasioux:
Faguyi was part of the first coup. Though Ironsi wasn't, his apparent shielding of the coup plotters was his waterloo. Those who participated in subsequent coups in Nigeria were summarily shot according to military tradition no matter which part of the country they came from. If anyone can understand Chimamanda Adichie, it's obvious that the problems of Nigeria started when the Igbos wanted everything.

Truly, the northerners were fostering corruption at the time but who taught them corruption? Okotie Eboh remains the architect of all corrupt practices in the Nigerian system. The only thing the northerners wanted was power. Southerners were making all the money and amassing industries. The January 1966 coup was one mistake too many.

I don't think that wound healed with Ironsi's death. I don't think it will ever heal. Nigeria will continue to thrive in corruption and suspicion until it's peoples divide and form their separate nations.

Nigeria and Nigerian's have continued to live in denial. There have been so much distrust among the diverse ethnic groups and I don't think that end is in sight anytime soon.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by southpole: 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2016
gartamanta:

If read the transcripts of the Aburi accord, you would know that Ojukwu did mention it.
Please forget those lies we could have seen it in the Biafra repubic
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by decasey(m): 5:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

You Igbos are too tribalistic, first it was the Igbo tribal coup, second the coupists infirmed their Igbo stakeholders to run away before the coup was carried out, third an Igbo man was made the head of state, fourth, the Igbo man head of state was not ready to punish the coupists may be because they were Igbos, fifth, when Ironsi was killed ojukwu an Igbo man started nursing ambission. why?
oga pls answer dis question, is nzegwu an Ibo man?.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by southpole: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
gartamanta:

Funny. You guys are more interested in who introduced unitary rule but careless about those have kept it going for 50 years. Sweet reasoning. Anything to please the Northern madters. I'm glad Ojukwu fought, if anything, it told the North that not everyone is willing to be their slaves.
The North also showed the Igbos that if you think you can kill other peoples kinsmen and have peace it means you have the highest form of human stupidity.

4 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2016
that voluntary hand-over? So we did not hand-over. We
to the army. I here state again categorically as a

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by southpole: 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
decasey:
oga pls answer dis question, is nzegwu an Ibo man?.
Sorry I thought you are a Nigerian, however just take few minutes and search about him
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by aleniboro(m): 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
gowaga68:

If I may ask, wasn't it a coup for him to take that role?
Wasn't Nigeria govern by democrats..
Biko educate us.
The military is the only institution recognized to restore law and other whenever there is a state of anarchy. At that time, The major democratic leaders were dead. The only thing he could have done was to take over as he did.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 5:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
aleniboro:

The military is the only institution recognized to restore law and other whenever there is a state of anarchy. At that time, The major democratic leaders were dead. The only thing he could have done was to take over as he did.

It seems you missed this:

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by babadlaw1(m): 6:01pm On Jul 29, 2016
The major problem came from the first coup. However, Ironsi should have dealt with the coup plotters as quickly as possible in the military way. I sincerely pitied Fajuyi. He just sacrificed his life. I pray we (citizen) learn and don't let our politicians destroy us cos of their selfish ambition. The people of Nigeria are ready to live together in peace and harmony but our greedy politicians know our mumu button...Ethnicity and Religion. The politicians and their fam keep winning, citizens keep fighting eachother and dying.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ojinuocheibi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

It was (then) Col Ibrahim Babangida that led the assault, not Danjuma.

Why did Danjuma not take overN. They tried to avoid what happened when Ironsi was killed that led to the war by refusing the next in rank, Brig Ogundipe to take over. Obj was next in rank and ought to take over. Having Obj in power then was really nothing to them, because he was an appendage of the north then.

2. Why was he not made second in command to Obj? He is a christian and from northern minority. They needed a muslim from the core north to pair Obj to placate the 'owners' of Nigeria that they have not totally lost power.
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TYPING..... WAS OBJ MADE HEAD OF STATE AFTER AGUIYI IRONSI? WHERE DID YOU PLACE MURITALA MOHAMMED?
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Ahmedhussain3463: 6:11pm On Jul 29, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
Expecting the same persons that killed him to celebrate him?

Where is TY Danjuma? The man that led the operations. What of (then) Capt Martin Adamu? Killers and bloodsuckers who thrive on mediocrity and quota system.

I don't seek for this country to divide, but we must have a total fiscal federalism Shikinan!
wht are u wating for?implement d fiscal federalism nw!
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by dadaijboy: 6:13pm On Jul 29, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by aleniboro(m): 6:16pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

Gowon was not the highest military officer even from the north but he took over, Abdulsallam was not the highest ranking officer after the death of SANI Abacha but he took over.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. In military, there is hierrachy. If there is a coup, then some senior military officer that are in unpopular group, the group that lost whether the coup plotter or the loyalist group, will become irrelevant. But the popular group will present there most senior military officer to lead.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by chidozieikeji2: 6:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Which book did you read this from? Give me a link.
fazillions-world..co.ke/2010/05/explosive-interview-how-mko-and-abacha.html?m=1

Read d link and den go and read the authobiography of late Gen olutoye rotimi book he was d victim
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by chidozieikeji2: 6:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

He quelled the uprising as the COAS, OBJ was no where in the theater of action, just like Ironsi he had the choice of taking over and he was actually pushed by the other officers to take over, but he allowed wise thinking to guide him.
ironsi had no senior to hand over to
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gartamanta: 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

The North also showed the Igbos that if you think you can kill other peoples kinsmen and have peace it means you have the highest form of human stupidity.

Really? And so when the North were killing Igbos in the Kano massacre of 1945, the Jos riots of 1953, long before the coup of January 1966? It then means that Igbos were justified to kill them back. But in this is the important question Igbos have been asking for a long time. Since it is now known that we have been killing each other since Lugard brought us together, what is the point of being together? That's one question non of the Northern apologists have never been able to answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by rhames(m): 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2016
Old Ironside. RIP
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ArchiPelago1: 7:15pm On Jul 29, 2016
ojinuocheibi:
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TYPING..... WAS OBJ MADE HEAD OF STATE AFTER AGUIYI IRONSI? WHERE DID YOU PLACE MURITALA MOHAMMED?

You obviously dint understand his post.. Brigaider Ogundipe was the most senior military officer during the first coup, yet power was given to Ironsi.

The power brokers dint want to make the same mistake again, Hence the defacto vice president Obasanjo was given power instead of his junior Danjuma.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Okwyjesus(m): 7:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Danjuma led the assault that foiled the Dimka coup against Murtala, he was Chief of Army staff, he refused to to assume leadership role, to some people, they will labeled that as an act of cowardice, but to a sensible one, it was a wise decision knowing that Dimka is a Middle Belt man like Danjuma.
Sometimes, the right thing is not always the wise or moral thing.

one salute for u.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gowaga68: 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2016
aleniboro:

I have been following history books for a while and most say he deliberately refuse to hand over to the appropriate person which if not mistaken was also an Ibo (Igbo) man.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gowaga68: 7:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
It seems you missed this:

You nailed it!

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by abnur14(m): 7:33pm On Jul 29, 2016
which kind hero ..Nigeria was enjoying the rule of sir tafawa before he came with his killing.. he might even b d beginning of our problems.. but nevertheless RIP..I don't believe killing him was best for Nigeria also

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by T8ksy(m): 7:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
gartamanta:

Really? And so when the North were killing Igbos in the Kano massacre of 1945, the Jos riots of 1953, long before the coup of January 1966? It then means that Igbos were justified to kill them back. But in this is the important question Igbos have been asking for a long time. Since it is now know that we have been killing each other since Lugard brought us together, what is the point of being together. That's one question non of the Northern apologists have never been able to answer

And my own important question is, giving what you stated above about the north killing ibos in their region "Why then was it that, (of the 3 major groups in the country) only zik and his fellow ibo people were singing the song of One nigeria to high heavens"?

The north have never hidden their hatred for the south most especially the ibos yet the ibos were the only one then proposing the notion of One (united) Nigeria. They even adorned Zik (the 1st president of the ibo state union), the fake garb of Nigeria Nationalism. Zik in is his usual sly manner was preaching Pan Africanism when he can't even maintain unity (of any meaningful purpose) within his own backyard.

The 1st coup as someone rightly pointed out earlier was an ibo coup within an ibo coup. Hence there was no surprises when Ironsi, the ibo beneficiary of a supposedly-failed ibo coup then went one to enact laws and decrees that are aligned with the NCNC manifestos-a truly ibo party, one of which is Decree 34.

Ojukwu was all for decree 34 as he was out the following day in his chest-beating fashion blabbing away at how he intend to "export" his people to the north most especially to compete for civil service posts with the well-known educationally-challenged hausa/fulanis

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by JUHABACH: 7:38pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

You Igbos are too tribalistic, first it was the Igbo tribal coup, second the coupists infirmed their Igbo stakeholders to run away before the coup was carried out, third an Igbo man was made the head of state, fourth, the Igbo man head of state was not ready to punish the coupists may be because they were Igbos, fifth, when Ironsi was killed ojukwu an Igbo man started nursing ambission. why?

actually you are being biased.
1) it wasnt a tribal coup. there were other officersalongside nzeogwu who werent igbos.
2)??
3) ironsi was head of state because he was the highest ranking military officer at the time. and while it was clear he erred in not immediately punishing the culprits, he actually made efforts at unifying the nation. iirc, he was even on a national tour when he was murdered.
4) ojukwu s grievance was the fact thar gowonwas made head of state despite being below ojukwu himself in rank. however, the agitations by ojukwu for biafra started after the massacre of reportedly milions of igbos in the north as well as the implied complicity of the gowon regime in the massacres.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by fabre4: 7:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

His inactions or action of securing the coup plotters in the east with foot dragging on the the punishment for them led many people to conclude that he was out to buy time and protect them.
Aguiyi Ironsi inadvertently created this mess Nigeria is still struggling with after 50 years
In life, you reap what you sow.

Gowon and ogundipe did out of cowardice

Ogundipe as the most senior officer refused to takeover power and handed it over to gowon who was quick to assume leadership but slow to fish out and punishthose who were responsible for the death of Aguyi and Fajuyi most of the foolish people are blaming Aguyi but what did the Hausa's do after assuming power the same thing they accused Aguyi of doing. Keep on transferring the blame like u said u reap what you sow no wonder God blessed Gowon with a wonderful son
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 7:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
T8ksy:

the NCNC manifestos-a truly ibo party, one of which is Decree 34.
...a party which started out with majority Yoruba became Igbo as soon as Azikiwe became the leader.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by T8ksy(m): 8:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
...a party which started out with majority Yoruba became Igbo as soon as Azikiwe became the leader.

Be ni o!

Oh well, they did warned us in 1947 that "ibos domination of (the emerging) Nigeria is only a matter of time".

So no surprise, there.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by tonquendo4u(m): 8:04pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Your comment is badly worded. I can't make meaning out of it.
You don't understand English?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Niger Delta Avengers Gives Conditions For Talks With Nigerian Government / Tinubu Nominates Olayemi Cardoso As CBN Governor / Details Of Nnamdi Kanu's Secret Trial Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.