Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,113 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen (36627 Views)

Kanu, Eguavoen, Siasia, Akanni To Play Fund-raising Match For Distressed Oruma / Sunshine Stars Unveils Eguavoen As Coach (Photos) / Austin Eguavoen: I Am Being Owed By NFF, Says Ex Super Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Oluwabusobomi(f): 8:28pm On Jul 29, 2016
Nigeria legend Keshi buried devoid of promised fanfare

Former Nigeria skipper and coach Stephen Keshi has been laid to rest in his village of Ilah, southern Nigeria, Friday afternoon, but without the fanfare promised by the country's government.

Keshi, 54, died on June 8 in Benin City.

However, it was not the state funeral that the Nigerian government first promised with oil-rich Delta State and Keshi's family organising his final passage beginning with a number of events on Thursday.

Nigerian sports minister Solomon Dalung said the government chose a low-key funeral because Keshi left behind a family that has to be catered for.

"I am not shocked by the way the government has treated this event," said a disappointed ex-Nigeria captain and teammate of Keshi, Austin Eguavoen.

"For instance, most of us have yet to get the houses the government promised us when we won the Nations Cup in 1994.
"You are only energised when you have been looked after.

"You now wonder if Nigeria is worth fighting for or even dying for."

Keshi's son Femi blasted the government for failing to honour a promise of a state funeral for his father.

"The federal government did not deliver on the promises they made to us as regards our father's burial," he said.

Keshi made history in 2013, when he became only the second man after Mahmoud El Gohary of Egypt to win the Africa Cup of Nations both as a player and a coach.

'Big Boss' will also be remembered as the man who spared off the exodus of Nigerian players to Belgium in the mid-80s when he signed for Anderlecht.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/now-wonder-nigeria-worth-fighting-even-dying/

9 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Oluwabusobomi(f): 8:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
This govt is the worst I had ever seen!

They will never for once deliver on their promise...always giving excuses.
I spit on Buhari.

Just imaging if GEJ is still the President today, Keshi would have been giving his due "last" respect and recognition.

348 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Jombojombo(m): 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
Buhari will never be celebrated in his entire life time!
Failure shall always be his companion!! Amen!

Lalasticlala, this is an injury to Nigerian football

184 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by cheruv: 8:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
Shame!

13 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Jombojombo(m): 8:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
This is pathetic!

And tomorrow someone will tell me to be patriotic?
F*ck patriotism to this fraud enclave called Nigeria

138 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by DrinkWater10: 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2016
The government of our dear country asked the family to postpone the burial until after Olympics due to lack of funds after promising and eventually failing to sponsor the burial.
NFF president was booed during the procession and rightly so.
How can you owe a man six months salary even at his death?
Chaiiiiiiii

145 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by mazichika: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
We have a dullard as a president.

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by drss(m): 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2016
dis cursed worthless pathetic slum of a con3 is not worth dying for. better to be con3less dan be a nigerian. RIP keshi.
#ToFreedomB...a..f...r....a

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by drss(m): 8:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
Jombojombo:
This is pathetic!

And tomorrow someone will tell me to be patriotic?
F*ck patriotism to this fraud enclave called Nigeria
nigeria is a scam dat needs to be disintegrated. d ealier nigerians know d better.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Jombojombo(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
DrinkWater10:
The government of our dear country asked the family to postpone the burial until after Olympics due to lack of funds after promising and eventually failing to sponsor the burial.
Chaiiiiiiii

Shame on Buhari and all his ass lickers!

How much will they even spend on the burial? Am sure Aso Rock feeding allowance for just a day breakfast will make the burial to be a "federal burial" and not even state burial.

Buhari is an incensitive bigot

117 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by HARDBOI: 8:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
oga lets face d reality..
dying for nigeria will be stupidity... wat will u stand to gain?
maybe house and money reward... while d living enjoy d goodies of life.

abeg life is too sweet to be stupid.
i can only die for my parents n sliblings or other family members.
or maybe a helpless fellow out there depending on d situation

RIP BOSS!

37 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by drss(m): 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
Oluwabusobomi:
This govt is the worst I had ever seen!

They will never for once deliver on their promise...always giving excuses.
I spit on Buhari.

Just imaging if GEJ is still the President today, Kechi would have been giving his due "last" respect and recognition.
such is life in a jungle.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2016
How do you expect somebody that is only interested in rearing cows to put his attention on sport ?

Once a nomad will always be a nomad.

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Almajiri1: 9:16pm On Jul 29, 2016
Anything sports and nollywood is harem for Alfa buhari.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by emmyid(m): 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2016
cryThere was a country!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by pendusky(m): 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2016

What did you guys expect?

You guys need President to probe Keshi for Mismanagement of funds during 2013 nation cup?

They on the seat to fight Kwuruption... all other things is nothing to them

2013 was the last Cup Nigeria will ever smell a trophy till after The present govt tenure...

Next Nation Cup .... No Nigeria Team

Russia 2018 ... Algeria qualify ahead of Zambia, Cameron and Nigeria

Rest in Peace Big Boss..

*Crying this is how it ended for you*

Note: Poster below me need a psychiatrist ASAP

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by onadana: 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
What do this people want again.Haba...Nigeria gave them fame and fortune.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by babyfaceafrica: 10:37pm On Jul 29, 2016
Okay...its well
Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by TheMainMan: 10:38pm On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by jerryfisher(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
DrinkWater10:
Chaiiiiiiii
na zoo country

12 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Snow5(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
Nigeria is in a sorry state right now...

I hate these politicians!!!

13 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
in his mind,he go be like why waste money on a deadman...when my brudas go arrange mat for we matter...I no mention any name oo.

6 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by kcid(m): 10:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
This govermnent is not trying at all

6 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Surfboard(m): 10:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
A man once said, 'Nigeria will kill you many times before you have the chance to die for her'.

That statement is true to the letter.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by magicminister: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
nawaaa

1 Like

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by emmyid(m): 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
Smh!

2 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by imsuboi(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
zoogeria is not worth dying for.

12 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by emmyid(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
[quote author=onadana post=48010811]What do this people want again.Haba...Nigeria gave them fame and fortune.[/words of an ignoramus. Hw did Nigeria give them fame and fortune? Instead, Keshi gave Nigeria a name in global sport, both as a player and a coach!]

9 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Afrok(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
Hmmmm... there was once a country cry

7 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Lanretoye(m): 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
what contribution did the boys he coached to glory make.many of them strive to make it to stardom through the national team amd wen they get there they never give back to their community let alone the nation.
we all knw that there was once a govt in nigeria,y now blame the govt for her responsiveness or otherwise?.
come to look at things (imo) late keshi(mhsrip) worked for his country and in a contractual capacity and is being paid the same way he was contracted by togo,waiting on the govt for burial right is only discretional and not obligatory otherwise so be it in future case of death of any team member or player of the super eagles.
As a matter of fact,i doubt a football body that is not bouyant enough to sponsor its team to a glorious event like the olympics will contribute meaningfully to keshi's burial other than accrue more motuary expenses to the family of the deceased.
The family of late stephen keshi is good enough to bury their son and they have done just that,lets all pray for the repose of the soul of the deceased and leave the govt out of this.
FAREWELL SKIPPO.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Iseoluwani: 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
If you die for Nigeria unto say you wan be HERO

Hmmmmm

OYO Z YOUR CASE

WETIN WON DO ME WEY I GO DIE FOR NIGERIA.

ABASHA!! ! IRANU

I CANT FORGET MY NYSC YEAR WHERE CORPERS WERE TREATED LIKE BEGGERS. community sef no valUr you

8 Likes

Re: Keshi: You Now Wonder If Nigeria Is Worth Dying For - Austin Eguavoen by Sfvalentine(m): 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2016
#sighs.

Well it didimnt start today.

Nigerian polithicians and empty promises have been like five and six since time immemorial.

#smh

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"No Gree For Anybody": Multichoice Makes U-turn, To air All AFCON Matches live / Joshua, Fury To Earn $100 Million Each In Heavyweight Showdown / Gunmen Send Threatening Message To Messi, Fired Shots At Family Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.