Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict (33975 Views)

Four Nigerian Drug Dealers Declared Wanted In South Africa. Photos / Nigerian Drug Convict, John Okoro, Who Escaped From Indian Custody Rearrested / Photo Of Nigerian Deathrow Convict, Chijioke, Who Will Be Executed This Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Everfrank(m): 1:41am On Jul 30, 2016
says will never stop executing people on death row

Indonesia executed four drug convicts Friday but 10 others due to face the firing squad were given an apparent reprieve in a confused process one lawyer condemned as a “complete mess”.

The executions on a remote prison island went ahead despite strong protests from international rights groups, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the European Union who had urged Indonesia not to proceed.

Four inmates — three Nigerians and one Indonesian — were put to death just after midnight. One of the Nigerian prisoners was cremated hours later, while the bodies of the three others were being prepared for burial.

Questions swirled about the handling of the process, which saw the other 10 prisoners slated for death — including from India, Pakistan and Zimbabwe — spared at the last minute.

Authorities did not give a reason for the reprieve, but the prison island where they were expected to be executed in outdoor clearings was hit by a major storm as the other sentences were carried out.

Attorney General Muhammad Prasetyo said Friday the 10 inmates had been returned to their cells, suggesting their executions were not imminent.

“The fate of the other 10 we will determine later. We will see when the right time will be,” Prasetyo told reporters.

“But one thing is for sure — we will never stop executing people on death row.”

Local prisons chief Molyanto, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, said the major security seen in recent days around the island had been reduced and he thought more executions were unlikely in the near future.

Ricky Gunawan — whose client Humphrey Jefferson Ejike Eleweke was among those tied to a post and shot in the jungle clearing — said lawyers awaiting the grim news were kept in the dark as to why the executions didn’t proceed as planned.

“I would say the execution this morning was a complete mess,” Gunawan told AFP from Cilacap, near Nusakambangan, a remote island housing several high-security jails.

“No clear information was provided to us about the time of execution, why only four (were executed) and what happens to the 10 others.”

Family members had already been shocked to learn on Thursday morning that their relatives would be put to death a day ahead of schedule.

Distraught relatives rushed to Nusakambangan to say farewell to their loved ones.

– Process ‘not respected’ –

President Joko Widodo has defended dramatically ramping up the use of capital punishment, saying that Indonesia is fighting a war on drugs and that traffickers must be heavily punished.

Friday’s executions were the third under Widodo since he took office in 2014. The last round was in April 2015, when authorities put to death eight drug convicts, including two Australians.

The executed Indonesian was named as Freddy Budiman, while the three Nigerians were Seck Osmane, Humphrey Jefferson Ejike Eleweke and Michael Titus Igweh.

Another of Eleweke’s lawyers, Afif Abdul Qoyim, told AFP the execution should not have gone ahead as his client this week filed a legal appeal.

“When this process in not respected, that means that this is no longer a country that upholds the law, nor human rights,” he said.

Amnesty International has identified what it calls “systematic flaws” in the trials of several of the death row inmates, and urged Indonesia not to proceed while appeals for clemency were pending.

Two people whose cases had raised high-profile international concern among rights groups were not executed.

The first was Pakistani Zulfiqar Ali, whom rights groups say was beaten into confessing to heroin possession, leading to his 2005 death sentence.

The other was Indonesian woman Merri Utami, who was caught with heroin in her bag as she came through Jakarta airport and claims she was duped into becoming a drug mule.

The National Commission on Violence Against Women, which has been lobbying for Utami to receive clemency, called for answers over the fate of the 10 remaining prisoners.

“We hope the attorney general’s office will provide a clear and transparent explanation,” the commission’s Sri Nurherwati told AFP.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/indonesian-cremates-executed-nigerian-drug-convicts/

1 Share

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by lucyhelp(m): 2:05am On Jul 30, 2016
Ok we are watching
Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by fikky2013(f): 2:21am On Jul 30, 2016
He who has ears, let him hear.
May God help us.

17 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Zico5(m): 8:54am On Jul 30, 2016
Hear Wetin, as we are reading the post, one ugandan is preparing to carry drug to the same indonesia. That is why they are called hard working jew. They littered every country in the world bringing bad reputation to our dear country. Government need to do something about any potential ugandan trying to travel to these countries.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by tintingz(m): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2016
People will say this(Law) is bad and inhuman, it is their law and drug trafficking is thier major problem they are facing.

I wonder why people deal with hard drugs in country like this when they know their law on drug is death.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by adesegun121(m): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2016
From Fire To Fire!!
Awon Asia yi Daa ju ooooo...

SAY NO TO DRUG TRAFFICKING....

But Dem Dem No GO hear.... Word

12 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Integrityfarms(m): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2016
I support their execution of drug peddlers! It's very boldly inscribed all around their airports about drug smuggling!
Na who water see him leg na him e de swallow!

10 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by waterhouse071(m): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2016
Indonesia's Justice system no be play o

5 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by nairagossip1: 8:55am On Jul 30, 2016
Nawa!.. Indonesia inhumanity to Man..
.I weep!
See Photos from their execution - http://www.042express.com/2016/07/photos-of-3-nigerians-shortly-before-execution-indonesia.html
Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by shamecurls(m): 8:56am On Jul 30, 2016
God bless The Republic of Indonesia for upholding the Law

Judgements like this will sanitize the ideology of get rich or die trying.

At this pace, The whole of Uganda might have gone extinct before the year 2036 when Ekiti State will be coming out of Bondage.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by fiftynaira(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
I am IGBO
I am PROUD

Finally I am a MEMBER NCAN

Buh then again I urge all my igbo brother's and sister to shun peddling drug.

It only drags u to early grave!

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by MEGGATRON(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
I weep for my brothers ⚡

3 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by originally(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
If Nigeria caught an indonesian with packs of drug here,he would use meager cash to bail himself out

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by brunofarad(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Pathetic

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by yunglivochi(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
embarassed hmmm nawa ooo being executed in anoda Man's land no b play

3 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by pheemmii(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by oyetunder(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Let those who desire power money learn from all these and desist. Why romancing indonesian death by doing what they warned you they don't want?

6 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by ademoladeji(m): 8:58am On Jul 30, 2016
The Wage of SIN is DEATH

To be FOREWARNED is to be FOREARMED.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Chanchit: 8:58am On Jul 30, 2016
Maybe it was the guys wish, abi how una go kill come burn am again when he no be Pablo Escobar.

3 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by nijanigga: 8:58am On Jul 30, 2016
ipods will never learn any lesson,their flat heads will never give up on drug pushing

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by TheNewIbadan: 8:58am On Jul 30, 2016
Too bad for the drug dealing Osu.
I guess Indonesia doesn't want you to develop its land.

I guess the flat head republic want FG to condemn this. Helllllzzzzz no.

onyeali:
This is madness. what is Nigerian ambassador to Indonesia doing about this.

Lmao sipping his tea while watching the execution.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by naijainfogalery: 8:59am On Jul 30, 2016
Na wa oo some people get mind sha. Of all countries you didnt see UK, USA to carry drugs na Indonesia.

USA wil put you in a jail with AC and TV lets even say Nigeria don tire you carry drug go there go enjoy your life not this people that will just kill you like chicken.

I would have loved to say RIP, but bullets in your systems from some angry racist Indonesians army, trust me thats not resting in peace

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by passionate88: 8:59am On Jul 30, 2016
What da f*******!
Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by tollytexy(m): 8:59am On Jul 30, 2016
Dem no dey hear word.. Nwaaaaane brothers

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by ibkgab001: 8:59am On Jul 30, 2016
iPod on it again .... PLEASE EXPECT ANOTHER PLANE TO COME DOWN IN INDONESIA SOONEST

6 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by BlindAngel: 8:59am On Jul 30, 2016
My God
Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 30, 2016
sad
Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by GoldenJAT(m): 9:00am On Jul 30, 2016
criminal or not!! the death of d convicted is touching.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by Exponental(m): 9:01am On Jul 30, 2016
Indonesia is a NO DRUG land. From the airports, you see the warnings. Rip to the dead but sorry to say, they took the WRONGEST risk!

12 Likes

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by onyeali(m): 9:01am On Jul 30, 2016
This is madness. what is Nigerian ambassador to Indonesia doing about this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesian Cremates Executed Nigerian Drug Convict by harrysjones(m): 9:02am On Jul 30, 2016
But one thing is for sure — we will never stop executing people on death row.”....... dis very wrong... i wont allowed this to happen in nigeria.. life in prision still better than that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Girl Who Got Pregnant After Being Raped By Sister’s Boyfriend Loses Babies. PICS / Reverend Hosea Akuchi's Corpse! Pastor Killed By Kidnappers In Kaduna (Graphic) / 2 Keke Thieves Set Ablaze By Angry Mob In Akwa Ibom (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.