Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,695 members, 7,805,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy (964 Views)

Fg Begs SSANU, NASU, NAT To Suspend Strike.. / Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over / FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2016
The Federal Government has appealed to the Republic of Indonesia to temper justice with mercy by commuting the sentence of remaining three Nigeria put on death row.

Indonesia executed four convicted drug traffickers, including three Nigerians, early on Friday as it pushed ahead with its “war against drugs”, although another 10 scheduled executions were delayed.

The appeal was made yesterday when the Ministry of foreign Affairs summoned the charge d’ Affairs of the Embassy of Republic of Indonesia.

The Federal Government In a statement made available to the press yesterday said, “ though three of them have since been executed, we are still pleading on behalf of the remaining three.

As many as 14 people were originally set to face the firing squad together on Friday, but officials decided a“comprehensive review” was needed to “avoid any mistake” in the 10 cases, Attorney General H. Muhammad Prasetyo said.

The date for the next round of executions has not been set, Prasetyo told reporters in Jakarta.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/indonesia-execution-fg-begs-mercy/
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Sealeddeal(m): 1:35pm On Jul 30, 2016
There is no reason to kill anybody for drug trafficking
Selling of counterfeit drugs is worse than trafficking of hard drugs yet nobody has been sentenced to death for counterfeiting of drugs.
So far as there are customers that utilizes these hard drugs being trafficked, trafficking will not stop.
I can't see the crime in hard drug trafficking that justify the death sentence that some countries always put up against it.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
This is a good step taken my this govt that is worth my support so far.

I don't support the killing of six Nigerians just for the crime of drug trafficking. Not all violators are irredeemable. The retributions so far can deter others from indulging in further felonies.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 30, 2016
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 30, 2016
When will Nigeria ever be a country worthy of veneration?

When will Nigeria ever be great to the extent that it will easily influence and alter the decisions of nations?

Just imagine how the US govt will exculpate any of their citizens found guilty and awaiting execution.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by 7lives: 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2016
Why should some Nigerians go to break the laws of other countries thereby putting other innocent Nigerians under negative spotlight and scrutiny?.
Baba should please stop begging the Indonesian government, drug money is worse than blood diamond anyone caught in the act of such business should be made to face the consequence of their actions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by greatgod2012(f): 2:45pm On Jul 30, 2016
Well, personally to me, I believe they already know the punishment for such offence before embarking on it. Their types are the ones who put other Nigerians in diaspora in negative limelight.

I really can't blame Indonesia, because it's already in their law, and nobody is above the law, they follow their law without sentiments and favouritism, unlike Nigeria where some people are above the law.

Since they're bold enough to commit the offence which they are already aware of its punishment, they should be bold enough to face the punishment.

Normally, this should serve as deterrent to others who might be thinking towards that direction in the future, but unfortunately, some will still trek that path.

No thanks to our lawlessness in the country.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by greatgod2012(f): 2:50pm On Jul 30, 2016
blueto:

When will Nigeria ever be great to the extent that it will easily influence and alter the decisions of nations?

Just imagine how the US govt will exculpate any of their citizens found guilty and awaiting execution.

Are you sure a US citizen will go and break laws in another country and if convicted, such a person will be exculpated by the US government

I doubt it, because they also don't play with their laws there.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 30, 2016
greatgod2012:

Are you sure a US citizen will go and break laws in another country and if convicted, such a person will be exculpated by the US government

I doubt it, because they also don't play with their laws there.
Mere hypothesis. the New York in US is a place known for the highest number of atrocity is in the world. They are potential criminals that are not yet in the business of drug trafficking because they don't have an economic reason for such. Nigeria is currently betide with immense rate of pauperism so people succumb to engaging in illicit activities for pecuniary freedom.

My point was that the US govt could easily influence the Indonesian govt to recede or abate the sentence verdict, not focusing on the propensity of the US citizens to make infractions.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by modath(f): 4:08pm On Jul 30, 2016
Sealeddeal:
There is no reason to kill anybody for drug trafficking
Selling of counterfeit drugs is worse than trafficking of hard drugs yet nobody has been sentenced to death for counterfeiting of drugs.
So far as there are customers that utilizes these hard drugs being trafficked, trafficking will not stop.
I can't see the crime in hard drug trafficking that justify the death sentence that some countries always put up against it.

There is every reason to kill people for drug trafficking,. It is unimaginable greed that blinds and deafens people who go into it.... They serve as deterrent to others like them who have no respect for laws of the lands.

Capital punishment may not totally eradicate the scourge of drug trafficking, it however greatly reduces the nos of people willing to risk death in order to live above their means and stations in life... No excuse is tenable, drug trafficking is a choice, labourers and artisans are living, there are always options..

Drug counterfeiters get away with it in this clime because people get away with everything and anything.. That you live in a lawless banana republic has blunted you to the realities of the world..... There are always rewards for wrong doing...

Indonesia and some other Asian countries have chosen their mode, they didn't ask lazy and greedy Nigerians to come dare their laws....

In China people were put to death for selling tainted milk.... That is a system that WORKS..

I stand with capital punishment for drug offences.. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 30, 2016
FG shouldn't waste our scarce resources in begging for Drug Traffickers in Indonesia and Asian countries. It's always a futile effort.

The convicts were not killed, they only committed SUICIDE.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 30, 2016
blueto:
Bros, don't say what you don't know,

North Korea jailed an American earlier this year for espionage and theft and US has done nothing till now.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2016
Bolustic:

Bros, don't say what you don't know,

North Korea jailed an American earlier this year for espionage and theft and US has done nothing till now.
Jailing and death sentence, do they look alike?

And besides, the US govt won't border intervening because it is just a citizen. Unlike when it is about six citizens as in the case of Nigeria.
Re: Indonesia Execution: FG Begs For Mercy by Noneroone(m): 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2016
Bolustic:
FG shouldn't waste our scarce resources in begging for Drug Traffickers in Indonesia and Asian countries. It's always a futile effort.

The convicts were not killed, they only committed SUICIDE.
amnesty international and western countries are pushing against the execution but supposed fellow citizens like you are urging them to go own. Not b'cos of the alleged crime they committed but b'cos you dont feel anything for him having come from another ethnic group you hate. With this your mindset isn't it possible you can set your "fellow nigerians" up in another country to be executed if you have your way.

When people say Nigeria is not one and can never be one, it is not mere rhetoric.

(1) (Reply)

Change Begins With Me: A Nigerian Police Officer Sets Example / Don’t Glamourise Sexual Vulgarity In Your Movies, Buhari Tells Nollywood / His Eminence Is Not NDA Sponsor. Bolaino Be Warned.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.