Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Nigerian-hollywood Actor Oyelowo Sets Up Scholarship For Girls Education - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian-hollywood Actor Oyelowo Sets Up Scholarship For Girls Education (456 Views)

Nigerian-british Actor, Oyelowo, Awards Scholarship To Chibok Girls / Nigerian Hollywood Actor David Oyelowo Joins Instagram (photos) / Elo Bokia Igbiwu, Ex-Miss Delta, Sets Up Man Who Visited Her Husband In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian-hollywood Actor Oyelowo Sets Up Scholarship For Girls Education by deasy(m): 4:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
Today makes it 838 days, 276 schoolgirls[color=#990000][/color] were abducted from their hostels in Chibok-Nigeria, by members of the Islamic sect (Boko Haram) who are against girls education.

Meanwhile, the popular British-Nigerian born actor - David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo who played Martin Luther King Jr. in the movie "SELMA" totally disagree with that, he sets up a scholarship which aims to ensure that young Nigerian girls have the necessary tools to excel in society.

Oyelowo was inspired by the famous Oprah Winfrey girls scholarship in south africa - Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls. Following the 2014 abduction of 276 schoolgirls in Chibok, northeast Nigeria (his country) he decided to do the same - he said;

“I have a daughter and I want the world that she goes on to grow up in to be a leveled playing field,” he said. “And so, those are the issues that are close to me and hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to do my part”

Afam Onyema, who is a co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of LA-based nonprofit organization GEANCO says, “My dream eventually is to have this scholarship be regarded in the same way that the Rhodes Scholarship is,”. “I want these girls to become the president of Nigeria, and I want their bio to be, ‘and she was a David Oyelowo Leadership scholar”

This shows oyelowo and co. are committed not just to high-quality education for Nigeria’s next generation, but hopes to address other pervasive issues in the African country that are close to his heart, including human trafficking and gender inequality.

https://www.facebook.com/whatspoppinnija/posts/499107243618627

(1) (Reply)

Afrobeat Legend Fela Remembered 19 Years After Death On Twitter / F You Are Owing Falz, Please Pay Up / As An Evangelist, I Can Still Act As A Prostitute - Eucharia Anunobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.