Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,404 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:55 PM

'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution (671 Views)

99-Year-Old Prisoner On Death Row In Enugu Prison With His Son (Photos) / Glad Police Bullets Didn’t Kill Me, Says Robbery Suspect (pic) / "They Electrocuted My Genitals In Indonesia"- Nigerian Death-row Prisoner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution by akpur1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
[b]A Nigerian man facing imminent execution in Indonesia tearfully told a court that police electrocuted his genitals to force him to confess to possessing heroin.

Michael Titus Igweh is among several prisoners on death row whom lawyers and human rights groups are frantically lobbying to save from the firing squad amid claims they were tortured and their legal cases riddled with corruption, errors and miscarriages of justice.

"I was constantly beaten, and my genitals electrocuted until I was helpless," the clothes importer, who was sentenced to death in 2003 for possessing 5.8 kilograms of heroin, told the Tangerang District Court in May. "In fact, I was threatened to be shot."

Sources have told Fairfax Media the third wave of executions in Indonesia could be held within days. It is understood the Nigerian and Pakistani embassies have now been notified that their nationals are among those to be killed.

Indonesian Attorney-General Muhammad Prasetyo reiterated on Friday the executions would be "soon" and would include Indonesians and possibly a woman. Mr Prasetyo had earlier said prisoners from Nigeria and Zimbabwe would be among those targeted.

Indonesian human rights group Imparsial said an anti-death penalty coalition would present the staff of Indonesian President Joko Widodo with a list of about seven death row prisoners who had faced unfair trials and miscarriages of justice.

"It is very dangerous to carry out executions when the legal system is fragile and riddled with corruption, error, manipulation and collusion," Imparsial executive director Al Araf said.

The anomalous cases to be brought to the president's attention include that of Pakistani textile worker Zulfiqar Ali, who was sentenced to death in 2005 for possessing 300 grams of heroin, and Indonesian imported flour seller Christian, whose lawyer said he was wrongfully arrested and tortured.

Mr Ali's lawyer, Saut Edward Rajaguguk, said the Pakistani embassy and Mr Ali's wife had been notified that his client would be included in the third round of executions.

But he said the case against Mr Ali was absurd. "Zulfiqar Ali was not arrested red-handed carrying 300 grams of heroin at Soekarno-Hatta airport. He was arrested about three months later when spending time in Puncak with his girlfriend."

Mr Saut said the man caught with the drugs, an Indian national, had named Mr Ali as the owner when he was being beaten by police in the airport office. However he later retracted this during Mr Ali's trial.

"Zulfiqar Ali was also beaten up by police when he was arrested and forced to confess the drug was his. He was asked for money by the police but refused and so the case continued."

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court last week rejected an application for a case review into the case of Mr Igweh, the Nigerian clothes importer who claimed his genitals had been electrocuted.

His lawyer, Sitor Situmorang, told Fairfax Media that Supreme Court judges should try cases based on the law and not to achieve popularity or appear tough.[/b]

http://www.smh.com.au/world/they-electrocuted-me-say-indonesias-deathrow-prisoners-nearing-execution-20160724-gqcm73.html

Re: 'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution by akpur1(m): 9:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
They freed the Indian, these Indonesians hate Nigerians why are our people still going there.
Re: 'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution by win3k: 11:09am On Jul 31, 2016
akpur1:
They freed the Indian, these Indonesians hate Nigerians why are our people still going there.

hate? pls use your head if you have one

If you have executed over 2000 ibo drug dealers in decades and more are still coming should you stop?
How many Indians, Australians, Pakistanis are caught daily there? Compare that with the ibo numbers.
why don't you get off your backside and go check how many ibos are still awaiting execution there?
ibos are a global drug plague to Indonesians, the way they import fake goods that kill Nigerians daily they also help to kill 50 Indonesians a day!!!
Re: 'they Electrocuted Me' Says Indonesia's Death-row Prisoner Nearing Execution by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 31, 2016
win3k:

[s]hate? pls use your head if you have one

If you have executed over 2000 ibo drug dealers in decades and more are still coming should you stop?
How many Indians, Australians, Pakistanis are caught daily there? Compare that with the ibo numbers.
why don't you get off your backside and go check how many ibos are still awaiting execution there?
ibos are a global drug plague to Indonesians, the way they import fake goods that kill Nigerians daily they also help to kill 50 Indonesians a day!!![/s]

Yoruba as expected.

(1) (Reply)

China-based Nigerian businessmen reports lover to police for duping him N40M / This Girl Was Thrown Out Of SUV Jeep In Lagos; Do You Know Her? / Parties That Should Be Held Responsible For The Misfortunes Of MMM Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.