Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Deists And Other Truth Seekers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deists And Other Truth Seekers (720 Views)

Muslims, Christians, Jews, Deists - Give Me Solid Proof That God Exists. / Atheists, Christians, Muslims And Deists Are All Irrational People / Why Theists And Deists Can't Tell Us "God Wasn't Created".. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 30, 2016
Abiogenesis must've occurred at some point . . . the idea of non-life giving rise to life is ridiculous, it was debunked by Lazzaro Spallanzani a while ago. Right now, I think an immaterial being exists outside of the universe/multiverse. However, I believe that religion is nothing but a ridiculous attempt at describing such a being by ascribing human qualities to it. Humans have flaws, so naturally there will be many logical fallacies in religion as well. I watched a video on youtube where they brought up the argument of a timeless reacting consciousness found in quantum experiments which is aware. . . I feel like such could possibly be, say, the 'power' of this being that exists outside of our universe/multiverse, probably the 'force' that originated life, the motor behind the point when abiogenesis occurred. . . Maybe like a sort of generative power. . .idk.
However, I believe that this being does not directly interfere with the activities of mankind. Some contemporary deists believe (with the classical deists) that God has created the universe perfectly, so no amount of supplication, request, or begging can change the fundamental nature of the universe. besides, I strongly believe that humans are not the only intelligent species in the universe, so if all these religious hogwash are to be believed, what about the life forms on other planets? Its obvious that religion is a scam. Well anyway, I'm still busy doing my research, but I've rejected gnostic atheism now, because a honest inquiry will tell you that there is something out there, we just can't explain it, so its just better to live our lives having respect and love for our fellow humans, the term for that is humanism. . .

Anyway
I trouble not myself about the manner of future existence. I content myself with believing, even to positive conviction, that the power that gave me existence is able to continue it, in any form and manner he pleases, either with or without this body; and it appears more probable to me that I shall continue to exist hereafter than that I should have had existence, as I now have, before that existence began.
— Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, Part I, Recapitulation
I don't claim to know it all though, and I'd appreciate anyone also genuinely researching to offer his/her opinions so please don't hold back from doing so
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 12:28am On Jul 31, 2016
Please can u go a little bit more as to why u reject gnostic atheism.
Cos it really makes more sense to me though am not fully certain.
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 31, 2016
4kings:
Please can u go a little bit more as to why u reject gnostic atheism.
Cos it really makes more sense to me though am not fully certain.
Gnostic= 'to know'
Atheism= unbelief in the existence of any supernatural (supernatural, meaning is not confined to the natural laws that we have so far been able to observe) being in any form, description, etc
Basically gnostic atheism is claiming with absolute certainty that no bring of such form exists. To make such a claim with 100% certainty it has to be backed up with evidence, facts, and logical reasoning. . . however I have never encountered such. . . instead all I get are people saying that the burden of proof is not on them, but rather, the theists who make the claim. They don't realise the logical fallacy in this statement, its one thing to reject a claim, its another to make a counter claim that the original claim is wrong. I gave such an analogy before imagine a bushman goes hunting and he sees a car, and goes back to his people and tells them that he saw a metal smoke breathing round - legged horse, and based on the knowledge that his people had so far obtained, they reject the claim. . . but they later come to an understanding that what he saw was actually a car. . . his original claim was not completely false, it was just the description that was bad. Those who made the claim that the object he tried to describe did not exist at all are foolish. I hope you understand now?
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 1:02am On Jul 31, 2016
I understand your analogy.
However some gnostic believe that god is an innate part of all human, which can be reached through the conscious controling of the subconscious (to know)(meditation), for example chi energy.
They don't disbelieve in a creator, but they believe that the creator is not separated from human ( I.e human as the temple of god, 4rm a biblical perspective), which goes contrary to the religious view of god being a separate being.
What do u have to say about this sect?
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 1:20am On Jul 31, 2016
4kings:
I understand your analogy.
However some gnostic believe that god is an innate part of all human, which can be reached through the conscious controling of the subconscious (to know)(meditation), for example chi energy.
They don't disbelieve in a creator, but they believe that the creator is not separated from human ( I.e human as the temple of god, 4rm a biblical perspective), which goes contrary to the religious view of god being a separate being.
What do u have to say about this sect?
In that case, that isn't gnostic atheism, that's pantheism, which is still a form of theism. . . and in that form, I think I've read about them describing god as our collective consciousness, which is constantly evolving, and therefore imperfect. Its an interesting position but I don't really agree with it, discussing with a pantheist, he says the existence of this universe came as a result of our collective unconciousness longing for consciousness, which didn't really make much sense to me, also, if our existence is as a result of our consciousness, then surely we should be able to explain the universe and have a complete understanding of it, but instead, mankind was clueless about his surroundings, and gradually adapted to it. . . Idk, that line of reasoning doesn't really make much sense to me
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 1:39am On Jul 31, 2016
AnonyNymous:

In that case, that isn't gnostic atheism, that's pantheism, which is still a form of theism. . . and in that form, I think I've read about them describing god as our collective consciousness, which is constantly evolving, and therefore imperfect. Its an interesting position but I don't really agree with it, discussing with a pantheist, he says the existence of this universe came as a result of our collective unconciousness longing for consciousness, which didn't really make much sense to me, also, if our existence is as a result of our consciousness, then surely we should be able to explain the universe and have a complete understanding of it, but instead, mankind was clueless about his surroundings, and gradually adapted to it. . . Idk, that line of reasoning doesn't really make much sense to me
Thanks for the clarification.
I regularly read about chi, kundalini and the esoteric meaning of the bible and ancient text, and I must say that there are interesting.

Well I don't believe that man's actions are influenced by an external being or that any supernatural activity occur. Though from my study, I have found out that 'extraordinary event' such as healing are influenced by the subconscious.

Do u have any opinion on the subconscious?
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 31, 2016
4kings:

Thanks for the clarification.
I regularly read about chi, kundalini and the esoteric meaning of the bible and ancient text, and I must say that there are interesting.

Well I don't believe that man's actions are influenced by an external being or that any supernatural activity occur. Though from my study, I have found out that 'extraordinary event' such as healing are influenced by the subconscious.

Do u have any opinion on the subconscious?
Yeah, I agree with you on that, whichever god exists does not meddle in human affairs. . .
Such healings, well apart from the lies that they display in churches, for the ones that actually seem to be true, I feel that most of them are actually influenced by their subconscious mind believing they'll get healed, which sort of 'speeds up' the process, science and psychology both agree that a person's expectations about the effects of a drug, directly effect the rate of success of that drug, eastern religions call it 'Law of Attraction', and I guess that's what's actually happening. But trust me, a person who has a disease cannot be cured completely by some faith healer somewhere without using any form of medicine
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Weah96: 1:55am On Jul 31, 2016
I don't believe in a remote creator entity. The designer of the universe to me operates in the sub atomic realm in which all possibilities exist. By residing within atoms, it can coordinate ALL of Nature from that vantage point.

Looking at it this way, it's not hard to see why children die from horrible things. In fact, 30k children will die from HUNGER today. But guess how many pigs, goats, cows, and chickens will die today? MILLIONS. Those animals are also made up of atoms too. And they carry blood in their veins like we do. We murder them for food by the millions daily, and yet we cry when someone dies.

Ignorance is bliss. Imagine if animals possessed our knowledge. We would hear cries of mourning ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT from everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 1:58am On Jul 31, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Yeah, I agree with you on that, whichever god exists does not meddle in human affairs. . .
Such healings, well apart from the lies that they display in churches, for the ones that actually seem to be true, I feel that most of them are actually influenced by their subconscious mind believing they'll get healed, which sort of 'speeds up' the process, science and psychology both agree that a person's expectations about the effects of a drug, directly effect the rate of success of that drug, eastern religions call it 'Law of Attraction', and I guess that's what's actually happening. But trust me, a person who has a disease cannot be cured completely by some faith healer somewhere without using any form of medicine
Aye aye captain.
Love to see deist on nairaland, cos I for one think absolute atheism is arrogant.

1 Like

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 2:07am On Jul 31, 2016
Weah96:
I don't believe in a remote creator entity. The designer of the universe to me operates in the sub atomic realm in which all possibilities exist. By residing within atoms, it can coordinate ALL of Nature from that vantage point.

Looking at it this way, it's not hard to see why children die from horrible things. In fact, 30k children will die from HUNGER today. But guess how many pigs, goats, cows, and chickens will die today? MILLIONS. Those animals are also made up of atoms too. And they carry blood in their veins like we do. We murder them for food by the millions daily, and yet we cry when someone dies.

Ignorance is bliss. Imagine if animals possessed our knowledge. We would hear cries of mourning ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT from everywhere.
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 31, 2016
Weah96:

Interesting points, its funny how religions just want to force us to bow down to some imaginary authority they created. . .
Ofc those things will happen, whatever god exists does not tamper with our trivial human events.
But to your points, don't you think your description of god is still bound to the limits of this universe? then what about before this universe came into existence?

2 Likes

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Weah96: 2:54am On Jul 31, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Interesting points, its funny how religions just want to force us to bow down to some imaginary authority they created. . .
Ofc those things will happen, whatever god exists does not tamper with our trivial human events.
But to your points, don't you think your description of god is still bound to the limits of this universe? then what about before this universe came into existence?

Excellent question. I have considered that very implication extensively and must say that there is no easy answer. The solution lies in a quantum particle I call a NOTHING PARTICLE. I imagined every atom to be made up of particles regressively graduated by mass. This meant that there exists a particle small enough to meet the requirements of a scientific nothing. Of course, this is a rather crude way of looking it at, but I'm comforted with the knowledge that CERN is still operational. They are still searching for that elusive particle.

Another source of comfort exists in the discovery of what we call virtual particles.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-virtual-particles-rea

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html

1 Like

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 4:26am On Jul 31, 2016
Weah96:

Excellent question. I have considered that very implication extensively and must say that there is no easy answer. The solution lies in a quantum particle I call a NOTHING PARTICLE. I imagined every atom to be made up of particles regressively graduated by mass. This meant that there exists a particle small enough to meet the requirements of a scientific nothing. Of course, this is a rather crude way of looking it at, but I'm comforted with the knowledge that CERN is still operational. They are still searching for that elusive particle.

Another source of comfort exists in the discovery of what we call virtual particles.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-virtual-particles-rea

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html

hmm. . . interesting. I think I'll read up more on it. . . so what about the origin of life? scientists have agreed that the spontaneous development of life from non-life is an irrational concept, following the chicken broth experiment. . . which means non-life giving rise to life (abiogenesis) must've occurred at some point. . . what do you think triggered the first spark of life in our universe? (keep in mind that extra terrestrial life is highly possible)
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Weah96: 4:54am On Jul 31, 2016
AnonyNymous:

hmm. . . interesting. I think I'll read up more on it. . . so what about the origin of life? scientists have agreed that the spontaneous development of life from non-life is an irrational concept, following the chicken broth experiment. . . which means non-life giving rise to life (abiogenesis) must've occurred at some point. . . what do you think triggered the first spark of life in our universe? (keep in mind that extra terrestrial life is highly possible)

It depends on your definition of life. Is a single sub atomic particle like a photon alive? I think it is a living thing, some kind of weird being.

https://www.scientificexploration.org/forum/are-particles-aware

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/do-subatomic-particles-have-free-will

Do your own research on particles and awareness. They are conscious.
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Weah96: 5:15am On Jul 31, 2016
AnonyNymous:

what do you think triggered the first spark of life in our universe? (keep in mind that extra terrestrial life is highly possible)

A particle that defies the conservation of energy law. Probably a neutrino. Or maybe something even smaller.

Aliens should be made up of atoms too, wherever they are in this universe.
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 31, 2016
Weah96:

It depends on your definition of life. Is a single sub atomic particle like a photon alive? I think it is a living thing, some kind of weird being.

https://www.scientificexploration.org/forum/are-particles-aware

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/do-subatomic-particles-have-free-will

Do your own research on particles and awareness. They are conscious.

yeah, that's what I was talking about in the op. . . the difference is while I say that is an 'extension' of a remote being, you say that's the being itself. . . its good to see that we have people open to different ideas and not blindly following religion/blindly attacking religion

2 Likes

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by dalaman: 7:55am On Jul 31, 2016
4kings:

Aye aye captain.
Love to see deist on nairaland, cos I for one think absolute atheism is arrogant.

Absolute atheism with regards to man made God's like Yahweh, Allah, Zues, Ra, Brahma, etc isn't arrogant because these God's are all man made ideas. They are purely human inventions. Am an agnostic atheist in the sense that I do not believe in all the man made Gods. I do not know if the universe was created or not. What ever force or forces created the universe do not want humans to know about them from all indication so I do not worry myself about that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by 4kings: 8:46am On Jul 31, 2016
dalaman:

Absolute atheism with regards to man made God's like Yahweh, Allah, Zues, Ra, Brahma, etc isn't arrogant because these God's are all man made ideas. They are purely human inventions. Am an agnostic atheist in the sense that I do not believe in all the man made Gods. I do not know if the universe was created or not. What ever force or forces created the universe do not want humans to know about them from all indication so I do not worry myself about that.
OK I get your point (agnostic atheism) and absolute atheism as it relates to man-made ideas.
But absolute atheism in the real sense does not make sense.
Re: Deists And Other Truth Seekers by dalaman: 9:42am On Jul 31, 2016
4kings:

OK I get your point (agnostic atheism) and absolute atheism as it relates to man-made ideas.
But absolute atheism in the real sense does not make sense.

Sure.

(1) (Reply)

Did Jesus And Isaiah Prophesise The Coming Of Muhammad? 2 / What Is The Meaning Of 2 Chronicles 7:14? / 10 Books Not Included In The New Testament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.