Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Xmas Day Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Xmas Day Food (3571 Views)

Is It Wrong To Drink Garri On Xmas Day? / A Thread To Upload Pictures Of Christmas Day Food Cooked / What Delicacies Are You Going To Have/prepare On Xmas Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xmas Day Food by kiwibabe(f): 4:51pm On Dec 07, 2006
Hey peops, its comming up to the holiday season, and again as per usual I am cooking the christmas dinner for my family, and the endless list of soo called friends. But I am bored with christmas food, the turkey, the trimmings, jullof rice, fried rice, fired fish, dodo etc, (you catch my drift). All these foods are more like everyday foods.

What are you peops eating this year, what foods are you looking forward to eating?
Does anyone have any good recipes that they could share with a woman in need.
Re: Xmas Day Food by English1(f): 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2006
Hi, you are in the UK, why don't you try a very traditional UK Christmas dinner?

I'm having roast goose (very different to turkey, very traditional, very delicious!) with chestnut stuffing, roast potatoes, honeyed parsnips, and green veg. All followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter.
Re: Xmas Day Food by seems: 2:28pm On Dec 12, 2006
uhm that tastes good but i haven't really tasted all either.
Re: Xmas Day Food by jammin(m): 12:15am On Dec 13, 2006
In Jamaica we do Hams!!! big leg hams grin then we do roast beef, chickens. lots of veggie.
oh! Sorrel is the drink of choice. every Household wiil have Sorrel at this time.

Sorrel is a a drink made by brewing a scarlett color fruit(for want of a better description), adding ginger and wine. ferment for a couple of days
and---- Walla. A refreshing tasty beverage that white people are coming here to manufacture a export angry
Re: Xmas Day Food by naijacutee(f): 12:37am On Dec 13, 2006
English1:

Hi, you are in the UK, why don't you try a very traditional UK Christmas dinner?

I'm having roast goose (very different to turkey, very traditional, very delicious!) with chestnut stuffing, roast potatoes, honeyed parsnips, and green veg. All followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter.
I might be going with my best friend to her family house in Kent for christmas. As she is british, I expect that they would have a traditional British goose/turkey christmas dinner. However I can't help feeling a bit pensive, like I might be watched on my manners, whether or not I can use a fork and knife etc. In addition to this, being one to love the sillies, I have noticed that my sense of humour and most Britons sense of humour are on different wavelenghts. I need to know what topics to avoid like a plague and what subjects are safe zones as I do not want to offend anyone. Or maybe I should just keep my gob shut the whole time.
Re: Xmas Day Food by English1(f): 8:56am On Dec 13, 2006
Evey Nigerian I've met has had perfectly fine 'table manners' so I doubt you have any real reason to worry. Just relax and enjoy yourself. Family meals are not usually very formal and even if you were to make a bit of a mistake no-one's going to comment on it.

As for conversational taboos; the main differences I've noticed between English and Nigerian conversations is that we are extremely uncomfortable discussing money in any way, and most English people are not as religious as most Nigerians. Even religious English people are not constantly saying the 'God bless' etc comments that Nigerians seem to say a lot. To us, religion is seen as a private matter (not exactly a taboo, but not a part of normal conversation). Don't expect them to say Grace before eating for example - in my whole life I've only been at one English meal where Grace was said.  So steer clear of money/religion and you can't upset anyone.

Yes the sense of humour is different. But I've mainly experienced it in people making jokes that the other 'team' do not get rather than it creating any offense, so again, don't worry about it. We do like to tease people a bit - so don't get upset if someone teases you. It actually means that they like you a lot! If we don't tease someone then it means that we are being formal with them, we tease the people the love the most more than anyone else!

One point that does cause quite a bit of funny confusion for my boyfriend T is that we don't use 'take' to mean eat or drink. 'Take' to us just means 'to physically help yourself to a portion of what is there'. So quite a few times that has led to conversations like:
My mum: Would you like some more cake? (offering plate of cake towards T)
T: No thanks, I've taken plenty. (meaning, I can't eat any more cake, thanks)
My mum: Oh go, have another piece. (thinking: I've got plenty of cake, you can have another bit if you want)
T: No, really, I can't take any more cake (thinking: I'm full with cake. I couldn't eat another piece)
My mum: That's ok I've got some more in the kitchen (thinking: ah how sweet, he doesn't want to eat more than his fair share, but there's plenty left)
T: No thanks, I can't take any more
My mum: Don't be silly, have another piece (she puts a slice of cake on his plate for him, thinking well he clearly wants another piece but that he thinks it would be impolite to have another piece. Silly man. Here. Have some cake)

So he ends up having to eat a piece of cake that he doesn't want.
Re: Xmas Day Food by TOYOSI20(f): 1:14am On Oct 24, 2008
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . . . it almost that time of the year again. . . . cool

Boi am I getting ready. . . . . . .food, food,. . . .and ermmm. . . more food. . . lol kiss
Re: Xmas Day Food by benincitys(f): 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2008
TOYOSI20:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . . . it almost that time of the year again. . . . cool

Boi am I getting ready. . . . . . .food, food,. . . .and ermmm. . . more food. . . lol kiss
well my mother inlaw take care of that.
Re: Xmas Day Food by TOYOSI20(f): 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2008
Nice wink
Re: Xmas Day Food by AmakaOne(f): 9:00am On Nov 03, 2008
It's that time of the year again
Chei

I wish I could go home cry

I'm open for Xmas dinner invites y'all.
Re: Xmas Day Food by hisolution(m): 6:40pm On Nov 03, 2008
Someone said you are in uk.OOOoohhh my God so you dont av any other food to in there for xmas?My friend,common Eat the best foods over there and enjoy or are you tierd of those foods over there?Then come to Nigeria and enjoy our new recipes
Re: Xmas Day Food by AmakaOne(f): 10:19am On Nov 04, 2008
hisolution:

Someone said you are in uk. OOOoohhh my God so you don't av any other food to in there for xmas?My friend,common Eat the best foods over there and enjoy or are you tierd of those foods over there?Then come to Nigeria and enjoy our new recipes

lol @ hisolution

I am in the UK, but Xmas dinner on your own in front of the telly is not really all that exciting.

Food dey plenty for hia o! Even microwave Jollof and bottled egusi sef. grin

My family is all over the place, and most of my friends are all going home for the holidays.

One bros in the US, one in Canada, my folks and two bros in Owerri and my other bros in Germany.

Getting 2gether for Xmas could prove to be a bit expensive. I can't go home now, I'm saving up for my move to the US early next year.

Abeg fedex some of those exciting Naija dishes to me for Xmas now. Shebi Xmas na the time for sharing? grin
Re: Xmas Day Food by JamaicanQT(f): 2:31am On Nov 05, 2008
In jamaica we mainlt do roast beef a big leg of ham and chickens, vegetable, curry goat and Rice or Rice and Pas with the traditional jamaican drink Sorrel.

In barbados its simliar to jamaica.
#In england we have the tradional english christmas dinner,

(1) (Reply)

Full Kiddies Themed Party Package For Just 499,999! / Well Packaged Ijebu Garri & Ofada Rice / What Food Do You Hate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.