Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,802 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria (21511 Views)

Sex-for-bail Scandal Rocks Bariga Police Station / 5 Sars Officers Beat Man To Pulp And Collected N200k For Bail (pic) / RCCG Woman Who Attempted Suicide In Lagos Arraigned In Court, Granted N500k Bail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by jamalnation(m): 11:31am On Aug 03, 2016
BAIL
Bail is a conditional freedom by which a person arrested for an offence is released on condition that he/she reports on the day and place certain wherever his presence is required.

There are two types of bail in Nigeria

1. Police bail
2. Court bail

POLICE BAIL
When a person is arrested and taken to a police station, the officer in charge of the police station may admit the suspect to bail pending further investigation into the matter. The suspect (a person is a suspect until otherwise proven and can also be addressed as accused) is granted bail on the conditions that the suspect must fulfil before he can be allowed to leave the station.

Usually a surety is called who can fulfil all the bail conditions. He must sign a bond (a sum of money a person who stands as surety for the accused will forfeit if the accused fails or refuses to appear when so required). Sometimes the bond might be with a surety or without but most times, surety is required.

REASONS FOR BAIL AT THE POLICE STATION

It takes time for police officers to conclude an investigation and the suspect cannot be detained indefinitely, hence the bail. Any person arrested by the police of committing any offence must be taken to court by the police within 24hrs or 48hrs or such longer period as is considered reasonable. Section 36(5) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states “every person who is charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed to be innocent until he’s proved guilty”. Until proven guilty by a law court, you are entitled to bail. But when a capital offence is alleged, for example Murder, Rape, Treason, bail shall not be granted to the offender.

COURT BAIL
We have bail in magistrate court and bail in high court. The power of court to admit an accused to bail depends on two factors;
i) the court before which the accused is being charged
ii) ii) the nature of the offence against the accused.
A court may admit to bail a person charged before it with the commission of an offence. The need for bail arises because of the interval of time between arraignment of the accused, taking of the evidence, conclusion of trial, return of verdict and sentence. Between arraignment and sentence, the accused may be admitted to bail on condition set out by the court.
Magistrate court cannot grant bail to an accuse person charged with a capital offence. Offences like murder, rape, treason etc. These are capital offences that only the high court has power to grant bail and this also depends on the jurisdiction. Bail is not granted in the northern part of Nigeria for capital offences. At the magistrate court, application for bail is usually done by a counsel (lawyer) orally. It need not be in writing once the accused has pleaded not guilty. Counsel to the accused applies for bail pending the determination of the case.

When the accused is not represented by a counsel, the court is obliged to grant bail even when the prosecutor raises objection to it. The court has a discretion to admit to bail or not taking into consideration the factors governing admission to bail.
At the high court, application for bail is always in writing. This is a court of record so every application is in writing. If bail is refused at the magistrate court, or conditions are too onerous (too difficult), the counsel to the accused can apply at the high court for a review. Terms of bail need not be onerous or excessive if not it will seem as if the person was denied bail by the court. Terms of bail need not difficult to fulfil. If difficult to fulfil, it amounts to no bail and de facto bail has been denied.

A suspect refused bail by the police may apply to high court to be admitted to bail and an accused person refused bail by a magistrate may apply to the high court to be admitted to bail. Where the high court refuses and application or affirm onerous terms, the suspect or accused can appeal to the court of appeal to be admitted to bail even up to supreme court if the person refused bail is disgruntled or aggrieved with the terms of the bail.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1034481506597753&substory_index=0&id=958147357564502&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1034481506597753%3Atl_objid.1034481506597753%3Athid.958147357564502%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A0%3A1475305199%3A591108023204097756&__tn__=%2As

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by naijaboiy: 11:50am On Aug 03, 2016
That is how it's meant to be bro, but the police will collect huge amount of money for bail and let the criminal go without continuing the investigation.

SMH!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by naijaboiy: 11:51am On Aug 03, 2016
Jamalnation have you voted today?
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by jamalnation(m): 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
naijaboiy:
Jamalnation have you voted today?
not yet.
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by naijaboiy: 12:12pm On Aug 03, 2016
jamalnation:

not yet.
Please I need your help to vote my candidate. He goes by the name of iamkingzlee.

Just click the link on my signature, go to the thread and type " I vote iamkingzlee" and then mention the judge "cc: nljega".

I will really be counting on you sir. smiley
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by jamalnation(m): 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
naijaboiy:

Please I need your help to vote my candidate. He goes by the name of iamkingzlee.

Just click the link on my signature, go to the thread and type " I vote iamkingzlee" and then mention the judge "cc: nljega".

I will really be counting on you sir. smiley

ok no p bro
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by naijaboiy: 12:26pm On Aug 03, 2016
jamalnation:

ok no p bro
Thanks bro, I appreciate.
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by davss02(m): 9:24am On Sep 21, 2016
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by kaen1317: 9:27am On Sep 21, 2016
Bail is free in theory in Nigeria
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by Goldenheart(m): 9:28am On Sep 21, 2016
POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND
BAIL IS FREE

Click like if you are familiar with these statements
grin grin

Share if you aren't. wink
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by pythonkid(m): 9:28am On Sep 21, 2016
Hi dear Nairalanders,
I’m a programmer I stay alone but very busy with work. I have a family, and I fend for the family(my mom’s) . My younger ones bully the last girl (9yrs), they don’t even listen to our mom, and am thinking of bringing her to stay with me. Am still looking at the stress of washing, cooking, taking her to and from school, distraction from my work and all that. Pls watz ur kindly opinion or how do you sugest I tackle this issue please .. should I leave her to grow up with them and face my work or should I bring her to stay with me .. I just have 6hrs left to make a decision …thanks , and sorry for the bad English

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by bolabolabo: 9:28am On Sep 21, 2016
what of Nairaland bail

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by UnknownT: 9:28am On Sep 21, 2016
When court grants someone bail and the person meets the conditions, where does the money go to?

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by kaen1317: 9:29am On Sep 21, 2016
Bail is police allowance in Nigeria
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by DONSMITH123(m): 9:29am On Sep 21, 2016
Why Metuh pics OP?

On your own o
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 21, 2016
But some corrupt policemen usually collect money for "Biro" and "notebook" used in writing Info's of an arrested person. Is it that there is something I am not understanding?
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by bcomputer101: 9:30am On Sep 21, 2016
@OP, are you justifying why Police collect money from innocent citizen?

Police will arrest you on your way coming from viewing centre and tag you a suspect just because they want 5000naira bail grant from you.
Somehow for this country...

Sometimes i begin to ask if Police now generate revenue for FG.

You be confirm #Olodo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by sunnyside16(m): 9:32am On Sep 21, 2016
bail is free at the police station but u go pay for biro to use sign am
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by tellwisdom: 9:34am On Sep 21, 2016
Oga,, this is not what we want to hear at this time sad...GARRI DON COME DOWN??

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by ItsawrapOutfit: 9:35am On Sep 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by soccerpundit(m): 9:35am On Sep 21, 2016
In Nigeria, living is expensive, crime is cheap, bail is expensive, talk is cheap

we all feed on APC propaganda

www.nairaland.com/3360375/genuine-fcda-land-sale-mechanic

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 21, 2016
The article forgot the most important

BAIL is NOT FREE in NIGERIA. grin
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by swagzofroyalty(m): 9:44am On Sep 21, 2016
You're 40% correct in that it is all courts that can grant bail irrespective of jurisdiction and nature and severity of the offence. The police cannot also extend detention beyond 24 hour(weekends and public holidays not calculated within the 24 hours). The 24 hours is just the maximum to bring a suspect to court where he now becomes an accused and not at for the police to conduct investigation. It is illegal to arrest for investigation. The only thing the police can do is to invite and not arrest or detain pending investigation. Police can only validly arrest when they see that an offence is being committed or with reasonable conviction that a suspect committed an Offence and not upon just un verified report without any nexus of a suspect with any crime.

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by mamawin(f): 9:45am On Sep 21, 2016
pythonkid:
Hi dear Nairalanders,
I’m a programmer I stay alone but very busy with work. I have a family, and I fend for the family(my mom’s) . My younger ones bully the last girl (9yrs), they don’t even listen to our mom, and am thinking of bringing her to stay with me. Am still looking at the stress of washing, cooking, taking her to and from school, distraction from my work and all that. Pls watz ur kindly opinion or how do you sugest I tackle this issue please .. should I leave her to grow up with them and face my work or should I bring her to stay with me .. I just have 6hrs left to make a decision …thanks , and sorry for the bad English
what if you sit them down and talk to them? let them realize this is their sister. What will they do if an outsider maltreat her, will they urge him or her on? You can even place a prize, like tipping the one(s) that bully are not. And you need to talk to her too. because if she has some bad habits, i won't support them ignoring that. But definitely not by bullying her

2 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by sekundosekundo: 9:46am On Sep 21, 2016
UnknownT:
When court grants someone bail and the person meets the conditions, where does the money go to?

I think it's called bond ie, if the person jumps bail and refuses to reappear when the court needed him, the court will take the money. Just my idea not 100% sure tho.
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by badpeople: 9:47am On Sep 21, 2016
pls OP, thank God you here with these beautiful topic, pls I need some explanation about someone standing as surety in a court of law, it's urgent please, can I send you a mail now or I should post my email adeolatundesina@yahoo.com, please it's urgent now
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by jidxin(m): 10:00am On Sep 21, 2016
all offenses are bailable im i rite
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by omnisali: 10:04am On Sep 21, 2016
So which one has NNAMDI KANU done?
#FREENNAMDIKANU#
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by luckman20(m): 10:05am On Sep 21, 2016
Op this is Nigeria, offence is money and bail is free cheesy
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by Canme4u(m): 10:05am On Sep 21, 2016
bcomputer101:
@OP, are you justifying why Police collect money from innocent citizen?

Police will arrest you on your way coming from viewing centre and tag you a suspect just because they want 5000naira bail grant from you.
Somehow for this country...

Sometimes i begin to ask if Police now generate revenue for FG.

You be confirm #Olodo
I wonder o, me and friend traveled to Badagry the other day, both Solder, mopol, police and even custom officer were collecting #500 from our buss on our way to Badagry we spent nothing less than #4000. They are not even inspecting anything once you give em the money, you are free to go. Even on Lagos Ibadan express way in broad day light both police and the solder, they are even mounting road block with tyer.

1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by macanu(m): 10:11am On Sep 21, 2016
My guy u dey sleep,or u r writing this outside Nigeria,I think so,try visit police stations and see wonders how people waste in jail,now in ph city arrest without reason and make money is everywhere(No 1 SARS).constitution don't work here,abeg wake up
Re: All You Need To Know About Bail In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 21, 2016
pythonkid:
Hi dear Nairalanders,
create a thread for it, you will get advice quick.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kidnappers Den Demolished In Nkporo, Abia / Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women / Mentally-Deranged Anglican Priest Sets ATM Of Imo Microfinance Bank, Aba On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.