Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase (30413 Views)

How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It / How To Know If A Car Is Stolen Or Genuine Before Purchase / How To Confirm A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by speaktome(m): 7:40am On Aug 13, 2016
Boss How do i confirm My custom papers bkos last week, custom officers held My Land Rover Freelander and collected 102,000 from me saying that My custom paper is fake... Pls tell me how i can confirm this

Thanks
nurey:
Simple
Tokunbo
1. Ask for the custom papers and do a VIN check on the said vehicle
2. Make sure you by from a registered car stand
3. Check for repainting of the car, most obvious in the bonnet area where it's hard to respray
4. Check the glass for any engraving

Nigerian used
1. Ask for customs document and ensure its original
2. Ask for vehicle documents original ones
3. Confirm name on documents match sellers name if not let he/she provide proof of sale from the original owner and possibly receipt of sale (2 separate documents)
4. Input the plate number in frsc database and make sure it conforms with the said vehicle registered to
5. Make sure all documents are original not photocopy
6. Take a selfie with the seller and the said vehicle.

Follow those links for information

http://www.nvisng.org/NumberPlateVerification.aspx
https://www.nairaland.com/2646449/documents-needed-when-buying-used

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by haxorDelite(m): 7:42am On Aug 13, 2016
sojiboy:
Go Meet him in house, insist u want to meet his wife and children
Ask the children what their father's work is and what school they attend
Go the children school ask the teacher the kind of cars that brings the studnts to school.
Go again with your lawyer and pastor/Imam
Ask for his pastor's recommendation letter
Of he his a graduate insist he gives you a copy of his degree certificate or any other academic certificate.
Snap the car put it on Twitter, nairaland, instagram, Facebook
If no suspected pranks after all the above ve been done
Third day go with ur banker, lawyer, police, frsc, custom, local govt worker, photographer and army all on their professional attires , snap him and the car then tell him to swear by Bible, swear with radiator water that he owns it.

After all these done pls pay him His money complete and enjoy the ride.

Believe me. He is a honest man, no Nigerian will allow these, cos we are all thieves.
its obvious you are not alryt

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Chicent(m): 7:43am On Aug 13, 2016
WDESAFETY:
My number plate says invalid/wrong on the site. Mehn I don't get it, what's wrong pls help oh.

If its wrong its wrong. Go for re-registration. U were issued a fake number plate that is.... We had same issue too, sharing same plate number with another person. Ours turned out to be the fake one, we had to go for a re-registration.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by nurey(m): 7:45am On Aug 13, 2016
WDESAFETY:
My number plate says invalid/wrong on the site. Mehn I don't get it, what's wrong pls help oh.

If you are using the old number plate or you recently acquired your number plate then you will experience this error, if it's none of the above, then obviously something is wrong somewhere.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by AXYZ: 7:45am On Aug 13, 2016
WDESAFETY:

It works with the new number. Besides, leave no space eg LSR01AA
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Chicent(m): 7:46am On Aug 13, 2016
Welldone Nurey..... Very correct and accurate.

But OP why buy nigeria used?? Chill, save more, take ur time and buy direct belgium..... It pays.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ikupakuti(m): 7:51am On Aug 13, 2016
sojiboy:
Go the children school ask the teacher the kind of cars that brings the studnts to school.
Of he his a graduate insist he gives you a copy of his degree certificate or any other academic certificate.
Third day go with ur banker, lawyer, police, frsc, custom, local govt worker, photographer and army all on their professional attires , snap him and the car then tell him to swear by Bible, swear with radiator water that he owns it.

Believe me. He is a honest man, no Nigerian will allow these, cos we are all thieves.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ikupakuti(m): 7:54am On Aug 13, 2016
nurey:
Simple
Tokunbo
3. Check for repainting of the car, most obvious in the bonnet area where it's hard to respray

Nigerian used
3. Confirm name on documents match sellers name if not let he/she provide proof of sale from the original owner and possibly receipt of sale (2 separate documents)
4. Input the plate number in frsc database and make sure it conforms with the said vehicle registered to

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by nurey(m): 7:57am On Aug 13, 2016
speaktome:
Boss How do i confirm My custom papers bkos last week, custom officers held My Land Rover Freelander and collected 102,000 from me saying that My custom paper is fake... Pls tell me how i can confirm this

Thanks

If they collected such amount from you, they are mandated to issue you a customs paper because the penalty for default in custom payment is vehicle seizure or mandatory full payment with penalty before the said vehicle is released.

If they didn't provide you with that, you have been scammed, but of you were provided and just want to confirm it's authenticity

Follow the link for information

https://www.nairaland.com/2764951/how-confirm-genuineness-custom-papers

https://www.nairaland.com/2764951/how-confirm-genuineness-custom-papers

https://www.nairaland.com/2208157/c-number-verification-thread
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ANAKONDA: 7:59am On Aug 13, 2016
Tres bon
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 13, 2016
sojiboy:

haha. u Don enter sars wahala b4
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by usibengate(m): 8:27am On Aug 13, 2016
Just observing
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ogohfrankmoses(m): 8:43am On Aug 13, 2016
each cars in nigeria are register the engine + the owner are all on system is something u can do research on ur own
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Silvawazza(m): 8:45am On Aug 13, 2016
Call Me, i will give you full details with follow Ups too.. 08029850008.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Reference(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2016
But seriously, why can't the police help in this matter and generate revenue on the side by creating a one-stop verification and authentication shop. And what then is the point of the so called 'Police Report'.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by OKorowanta: 8:58am On Aug 13, 2016
Nice
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by Diamond69(m): 9:03am On Aug 13, 2016
I love the selfie part.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by johnsonjosbles(m): 10:19am On Aug 13, 2016
fekon:
Dear All

Please i will appreciate if experts can give me information on how to confirm if a car is genuinely owned by a purported seller to a buyer like me in order not to fall into the trap of buying a stolen car from another State in Nigeria that someone may innocently not be aware of. I am raising this issue cos i have been trying to log into Nigerian police website to find out if information about data bank of stolen cars with detail registration/chasis numbers are in their website without any success.
Please help out as i am presently trying to buy a fairly Nigerian used car in my state of domicile (Northern Nigeria).

Thanks

Felix
you know nigeria itself as a whole is a sCaam, so it is a difficult Task! The only way is to ask the seller and you to go to police station for agreement using police leter headed paper, don't ask me how posible is that because u can get dat with plice with just 5k! If the car is stolen, the seller will never follow you to police station because his data and picture will be register.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by meromero11: 11:00am On Aug 13, 2016
sojiboy:

Nah wah for you ooh!!!!
No be money e go take hire all these people? By the time he's done am certain he won't have money to buy the car.
Simply put, if he wants to buy a car all he needs do are:
1. Get him to present a police report declaring him as the bonafide owner.
2. He should also give you a sworn affidavit on the strenght of the police report.
3. As suggested by one of the contributors above, ensure you have the originals of the customs papers and check for owners name consistency.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by streetsoldier1(m): 11:00am On Aug 13, 2016
sojiboy:

walahi...u go do comedy pass basket mouth oooo
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by moscobabs(m): 11:25am On Aug 13, 2016
Chicent:

If its wrong its wrong. Go for re-registration. U were issued a fake number plate that is.... We had same issue too, sharing same plate number with another person. Ours turned out to be the fake one, we had to go for a re-registration.

pls sir my number place is saying invalid too. but I remember someone here on Nairaland checked it for me sometime ago and she got it right that my car is Nissan quest 200 model but now it shows invalid. what could have happen
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ariyoadegoke(m): 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2016
hope am not a victim!!! I just purchase a acura tl 2006 @#700,d seller also buy it hand to hands he told me he buy it #1.1, but it has no custom duties also he dd not do d change of ownership, but d agreement between him and d former sellers was giving to me without d other price agreement.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ariyoadegoke(m): 12:41pm On Aug 13, 2016
hope am not a victim. I just purchase a acura til 2006 @#700, d said car was purchased hand to hands, it has no custom duties also the person I bought it from did not do d change of ownership from d previous owner he say he buy it @#1.1m but d agreement between him and d former sellers was giving to me without d other price agreement paper. what do I do pls.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by lugado: 12:45pm On Aug 13, 2016
just take a policeman with you from their station. b4 doing the transaction
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by fexyrich(m): 3:23pm On Aug 13, 2016
Olivers2J:

if u r the car dealer will u accept this ridiculous procedures jst 2 sell one car,
I think Nurey has said it all
The guy is a Jonky I swear...I guess he just wanted to be hilarious ...
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by omotolarunsewe: 8:31pm On Aug 13, 2016
Check out the vehicle.google the vin#. Have a writer agreement done between both the buyer and seller at a police station and make sure it is singed $ dated .

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ariyoadegoke(m): 6:01am On Aug 14, 2016
at this point can d car b a stolen one? can I like how much can I do d custom papers.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by ariyoadegoke(m): 6:02am On Aug 14, 2016
like how much can I do d custom papers
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by singledude(m): 4:37am On Sep 24, 2016
If a car was originally bought in Nigeria brand new would there be customs papers?

nurey:
Simple
Tokunbo

Nigerian used

Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by nurey(m): 6:40am On Sep 24, 2016
singledude:
If a car was originally bought in Nigeria brand new would there be customs papers?

Depends. If it was bought from big dealers like Dana motor, lanre shittu it won't have custom paper but their is a document you will be given to that effect. You know this one's bring in quantity.

If it's an individual who brought in 5 or less, brand new I guess he should have a custom paper.
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by omoopa(m): 8:18am On Dec 15, 2016
Weere re oooo!!! Can't just stop laughing. Nice one
Re: How Can I Confirm If A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchase by nwabobo: 1:24pm On Feb 05, 2017
promisengr:
Using the VIN( vehicle identification number) most engraved on the driver's side below the windscreen.

Can this be used to trace vehicle less stolen in Nigeria assuming someone buys and registers it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? / See How The Range Rover Has Evolved Over The Years / The 9 Best Family Cars Of 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.