Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,327 members, 7,780,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:09 PM

Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. (5111 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2009
This is a question my friend posed to me earlier to day and he backed it up with these points.

1. Yoruba is the language of Nigeria's most important city

2. More people from other ethnic groups speak Yoruba as a second language than any other language (excluding English and Pidgin)

3. Pidgin English is a straight translation of Yoruba

4. The most popular expressions are in Yoruba,  E.g. Jor, Jare, Sha, Shey,  and so on

5. The language is the most widely used in popular Naija music.

Now, I can see why he said some of these things but I am not sure that I agree, I mean Nollywood is Nigeria's biggest cultural export and that is filled with Igbo culture.

What do you all think?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
afrocynic

enough with these types of threads which are obviously attempts to rile up the Igbos here. Not to mention other tribes too.

I'm starting to wonder if you're deepzone.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2009
Tpia, did you even read it all. It was a suggestion made to me and I clearly state that I am not sure I agree, do you have a problem comprehending English.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by Epiphany(m): 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

This is a question my friend posed to me earlier to day and he backed it up with these points.

Everything you have written is because of the 1st point you made. Lagos, being the former capital of Nigeria and still the commercial capital of the country is the reason for your hypothesis. Most people who stay[ed] in Lagos end[ed] up learning or understanding the language. In those days, lagos had many of the best schools (Kings College, Igbobi, CMS Grammar, Queens College) so when many of the so-called present big men/women and millitary men lived in Lag, they spoke the language. When lagos was the capital, civil servants and people from all over (north, south, east, west) were posted to Lagos to work and live - they invariably learned the language and so did their children (these children are now grown up). For importing and exporting purposes, most of the igbo and eastern traders who have 'shops' in lagos have also learned to speak the language to facilitate and further their businesses.

However, i have hear that speaking Hausa can get you into places where even English will not get you. There used to be this school of thought that if you are able to speak Hausa, it is possible to warm your way into the highest offices in the land and leave with a lot of goodies, e.g. juicy contracts, govt positions, friends in high places etc. Other than that, some have said that if you speak Hausa to a Hausa man and you are not a Hausa man yourself, he automatically takes you as a 'brother' and is pleased to help you in any way. Dont know if this is still true sha!
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by jona2: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2009
yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by citizenY(m): 6:08pm On Sep 21, 2009
@aFROcynic

cYNICALLY SPEAKING, U SHOULD FIND MORE INTERESTING THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR TIME.
aLL THIS WASTE OF CYBERTIME/SPACE IS BECAUSE YOU MAY BE USING FREE RESOURCES,
PEOPLE ARE ENGAGED IN MORE REWARDING DISCOURSE, NOT THIS RABBLE ROUSING.

IF YOU ARE USING A CAFE, YOU MIGHT CONSIDER GIVING UP SOME OF THE CASH TO RED CROSS
OR SUCH ORGANISATION. IT WILL BE MORE REWARDING
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 6:32pm On Sep 21, 2009
citizenY:

@aFROcynic

cYNICALLY SPEAKING, U SHOULD FIND MORE INTERESTING THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR TIME.
aLL THIS WASTE OF CYBERTIME/SPACE IS BECAUSE YOU MAY BE USING FREE RESOURCES,
PEOPLE ARE ENGAGED IN MORE REWARDING DISCOURSE, NOT THIS RABBLE ROUSING.

IF YOU ARE USING A CAFE, YOU MIGHT CONSIDER GIVING UP SOME OF THE CASH TO RED CROSS
OR SUCH ORGANISATION. IT WILL BE MORE REWARDING

Are you alright? I asked the question because I would like to discuss it, if you do not want to do that, then kindly leave.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AndreUweh(m): 6:44pm On Sep 21, 2009
Poster: 75% of those who speak Igbo and Yoruba are Igbo and Yoruba. While 75% of those who speak Hausa are not Hausa. Hausa is the most influential language in Nigeria and West Africa.
Just like Tpia has advised you, please desist from posting threads such as this here.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by chic2pimp(m): 10:26pm On Sep 21, 2009
*Shakes His Head*

Not another tribalistic thread.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by german007(m): 10:48pm On Sep 21, 2009
@Poster

You're a bored, lonely,miserable wind-up and a trouble-stirer.

FYI Im not yoruba,igbo ,hausa ,tiv,ijaw,fulani or kanuri.
IM NIGERIAN

Tribalism is clearly nigeria's biggest killer, and here you are out of boredom and loneliness starting up a tribalistic thread.

Its best for you to keep mute, than to start ludicruos and sarcastic threads.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 11:06pm On Sep 21, 2009
german007:

@Poster

You're a bored, lonely,miserable wind-up and a trouble-stirer.

FYI Im not yoruba,igbo ,hausa ,tiv,ijaw,fulani or kanuri.
IM NIGERIAN

Tribalism is clearly nigeria's biggest killer, and here you are out of boredom and loneliness starting up a tribalistic thread.

Its best for you to keep mute, than to start ludicruos and sarcastic threads.

I did not tell you which ethnic group I belong to and I will not be stifled because you are feeling too insecure to address the question, if you do not like it, do not respond. There is nothing offensive about this thread, you all are too sensitive. If we all kept mute because we were afraid of saying something other people would find offensive, how boring would NL be?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

Tpia, did you even read it all. It was a suggestion made to me and I clearly state that I am not sure I agree, do you have a problem comprehending English.

are you the same person as afrochic who started a similar thread along these lines the other day?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 12:42am On Sep 22, 2009
tpia.:

are you the same person as afrochic who started a similar thread along these lines the other day?

Dude, I am barely on NL, when I do come in, I read mostly, just see what opinions are on a plethora of issues. I do not know what 'other day' you are referring to. I do however have a particular interest in inter ethnic relations in the country, hence the question, ok?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by Nobody: 1:49am On Sep 22, 2009
look, when you see two posters with almost the same name starting Yoruba vs Igbo or Igbo vs Yoruba threads, do you need a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

plz sing another song.

if you must compare as you "innocently" say you're doing, then why not use some other languages.

innocently my banana.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 1:56am On Sep 22, 2009
tpia.:

look, when you see two posters with almost the same name starting Yoruba vs Igbo or Igbo vs Yoruba threads, do you need a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

plz sing another song.

if you must compare as you "innocently" say you're doing, then why not use some other languages.

innocently my banana.

Please point me in the direction of the thread you are talking about,  This is not a Yoruba v Igbo thing. Did you read it at all? As for using other languages, well, this theory was put to me by a friend and I disagreed, as stated. I do not understand why that is so hard to grasp,
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by sosisi(f): 2:02am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lagos you mean
Do you expect it to be fufulde or Idoma

2. More people from other ethnic groups speak Yoruba as a second language than any other language (excluding English and Pidgin)

Could be because they live in Lagos?
Do you expect them to learn Ibibio instead?

3. Pidgin English is a straight translation of Yoruba

4. The most popular expressions are in Yoruba,  E.g. Jor, Jare, Sha, Shey,  and so on

and others are wallahi,chikena,Tufiakwa,Chinekee!

5. The language is the most widely used in popular Naija music.

A phase in the Nigerian Music industry.
There was a time Reggae and Jammo slangs was the in thing.

Now, I can see why he said some of these things but I am not sure that I agree, I mean Nollywood is Nigeria's biggest cultural export and that is filled with Igbo culture.

What do you all think?

Who the fried fish cares?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by platinumnk(f): 2:03am On Sep 22, 2009
inflential to who?

has the yoruba lang brought us eletricty?? water?? undecided undecided

my friend since you have credit to waste please give it to the homeless and the hungry which are plenty. undecided
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by sosisi(f): 2:09am On Sep 22, 2009
platinumnk:

inflential to who?

has the yoruba lang brought us eletricty?? water?? undecided undecided

my friend since you have credit to waste please give it to the homeless and the hungry which are plenty. undecided

The type of topics on this forum can be nauseating.
If the Yoruba language would at least cause water to run from the faucets, I will even change my name to Titilayo
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by OgidiBoy(m): 2:15am On Sep 22, 2009
@ Afrocynic,

Don't mind them jare, I don't know why they hating on you. You think Yoruba is the most influential language in Nigeria, what's the big deal. sad
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:16am On Sep 22, 2009
$osisi:

Lagos you mean
Do you expect it to be fufulde or Idoma

Could be because they live in Lagos?
Do you expect them to learn Ibibio instead?

and others are wallahi,chikena,Tufiakwa,Chinekee!

A phase in the Nigerian Music industry.
There was a time Reggae and Jammo slangs was the in thing.

Lol, I think I see where you are coming from and I agree, The argument is flawed because dude is a gidi boy who has rarely ventured to the other parts of the country,
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by blackspade(m): 2:17am On Sep 22, 2009
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:18am On Sep 22, 2009
OgidiBoy:

@ Afrocynic,

Don't mind them jare, I don't know why they hating on you. You think Yoruba is the most influential language in Nigeria, what's the big deal. sad

Lol, did you read my initial post? I do not agree, it was a discussion I was having and I brought it in here to see what you all thought about it.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by OgidiBoy(m): 2:21am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol, did you read my initial post? I do not agree, it was a discussion I was having and I brought it in here to see what you all thought about it.

Hold up!!! shocked shocked shocked so you don't think Yoruba is the most influential language in Nigeria ?? sad cry
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by sosisi(f): 2:22am On Sep 22, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Hold up!!! shocked shocked shocked so you don't think Yoruba is the most influential language in Nigeria ?? sad cry

Of course it is
not just the language
My grandma cooked amala and ewedu and spoke fluent Ekiti right there in Isiekenesi
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:26am On Sep 22, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Lol no! (Read the first post please) I think it is impossible to say one language is the most influential, it depends on where it is you are in the country,
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by chiogo(f): 2:26am On Sep 22, 2009
I disagree with # 3. Pidgin english is not spoken in Nigerian alone, although other countries' pidgin might be slightly different but very similar.

The poster is probably right with the rest. A non-yoruba born esp. in Lagos is most likely going to know/speak yoruba - And the language is kinda easy to learn too compared to Igbo.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:28am On Sep 22, 2009
chiogo:

I disagree with # 3. Pidgin english is not spoken in Nigerian alone, although other countries' pidgin might be slightly different but very similar.

The poster is probably right with the rest. A non-yoruba born esp. in Lagos is most likely going to know/speak yoruba - And the language is kinda easy to learn too compared to Igbo.

But would this not be true for say a calabari child born in Kano? She will also grow up with some Hausa, no?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by chiogo(f): 2:31am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

But would this not be true for say a calabari child born in Kano? She will also grow up with some Hausa, no?
Yes lol. . . .but it seems not many non-hausa people live in hausa states these days. maybe during the civil war, my mother for example lived in maiduguri during the war so she knows some hausa. But there are so many non-yorubas in Lagos, and even Osun state.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:35am On Sep 22, 2009
chiogo:

Yes lol. . . .but it seems not many non-hausa people live in hausa states these days. maybe during the civil war, my mother for example lived in maiduguri during the war so she knows some hausa. But there are so many non-yorubas in Lagos, and even Osun state.

I just think it a stretch to say one language is the most influential out 250 languages (okay lets say only ten are spoken by a million or more people still, it's a stretch) . I think Kano and Kaduna are as diverse as Lagos, No?
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by sosisi(f): 2:38am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol no! (Read the first post please) I think it is impossible to say one language is the most influential, it depends on where it is you are in the country,

Many Yorubas in Nigeria, at least the ones here on nairaland are like the typical Texan who thinks the world starts and ends in Fort Worth Texas. grin
I wonder how many kids in Uwani Enugu that care much much about speaking Yoruba.

I would actually wager that more Igbos speak Hausa than Yoruba not because of popularity of either but out of pure necessity due to the environment they find themselves in.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by chiogo(f): 2:46am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

I just think it a stretch to say one language is the most influential out 250 languages (okay lets say only ten are spoken by a million or more people still, it's a stretch) . I think Kano and Kaduna are as diverse as Lagos, No?
Right, you don't hear non-hausas making music in hausa, etc. It's not just about speaking the language. But I guess since most known artistes are in Lagos, it's typical that even non-yorubas speak yoruba. I guess people over stretch the diversity issue being that Lagos is the place where businesses supposedly 'boom'. Yoruba language is likely to be used as the yardstick for the 'most influential' Nigerian language. my view point from what I noticed.
Re: Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. by AfroCynic: 2:52am On Sep 22, 2009
$osisi:

Many Yorubas in Nigeria, at least the ones here on nairaland are like the typical Texan who thinks the word starts and ends in Fort Worth Texas. grin
I wonder how many kids in Uwani Enugu that care much much about speaking Yoruba.

I would actually wager that more Igbos speak Hausa than Yoruba not because of popularity of either but out of pure necessity due to the environment they find themselves in.

Hmmn, okay more Igbos speak Hausa, that is entirely feasible as Kano and Kaduna are as diverse as the most diverse Southern states.  But what about other ethnicities, what is the most widely spoken second language amongst them? I would love to know, shame there is no way one can conduct a survey,

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Island Of Socotra / How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino / Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.