Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial (7156 Views)

Saraki Should Get The Ibori’s Treatment – Debo Adeniran / The Ibori Sentencing: Live Updates / Nuhu Ribadu Speaks On Corruption And The Ibori $15m Bribe Saga(youtube) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by mbulela: 3:56am On Sep 22, 2009
The Court 8 of the Southwark County court, South East London, was almost filled to capacity. At the venue of the Ibori trial, one could see the expectations on the face of Nigerians.

Majority of the Nigerians present said they turned up to witness the case as advised by the Nigeria Liberty Forum, a pro-democracy group based in the UK.

Kennedy Ugwuamma said; “I am here to quietly but peacefully show my disgust against Ibori’s accomplices.”

His Honour, Judge Hardy came in at about 10.06 am and immediately set out to business.

The names of the accused were called and three ladies, later identified as Ibori-Ibie Christine .O, Pogoson Adebimpe F and Onuigbo Udoamaka were ushered into the dock. In particular, Ms. Onuigbo appeared to have lost a lot of weight, unlike her previous appearances. The trio had a subdued look.

There was silence at the public gallery in which the Nigerian spectators sat, except for the murmur of “Awon Ole,” which is Yoruba for ‘these thieves!’ from a middle aged Nigerian lady. The trio were admitted on bail by the court, with counsel to Ibori-Ibie putting forward arguments for restrictions on media reporting of the case.

A lot of the time was spent on requesting a sanction on the reportage of the proceedings. The argument did not go down well with those of us in the public gallery. After a long argument and counter argument, the Judge gave a ruling barring media publications “to prevent prejudice/contempt of court.”

Intimidating presence

The drama of the whole event was when a lady, who claimed to be a family of the Iboris, came to the public gallery and rained curses on imaginary enemies, wondering loudly: “what is the business of you people (Nigerians) in London to come to court? Na only Ibori steal money?” Defence lawyer for Ms Ibori-Ibie, Andrew Trollope complained about the “intimidating presence” of Nigerians in the court and vowed to move for restrictions on attendance.

The case is expected to go on for days but, from all indications, the accused were jolted with the presence of Nigerians and could barely look up to where members of the public sat.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5461925-146/story.csp
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by babapupa: 4:00am On Sep 22, 2009
LMAO.

About time they get called out grin
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by vanitty: 6:33am On Sep 22, 2009
mbulela:

Intimidating presence

The drama of the whole event was when a lady, who claimed to be a family of the Iboris, came to the public gallery and rained curses on imaginary enemies, wondering loudly: “what is the business of you people (Nigerians) in London to come to court? Na only Ibori steal money?” Defence lawyer for Ms Ibori-Ibie, Andrew Trollope complained about the “intimidating presence” of Nigerians in the court and vowed to move for restrictions on attendance.

LOL there will always be that one person.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by kech(f): 8:01am On Sep 22, 2009
mbulela:

The Court 8 of the Southwark County court, South East London, was almost filled to capacity. At the venue of the Ibori trial, one could see the expectations on the face of Nigerians.

Majority of the Nigerians present said they turned up to witness the case as advised by the Nigeria Liberty Forum, a pro-democracy group based in the UK.

Kennedy Ugwuamma said; “I am here to quietly but peacefully show my disgust against Ibori’s accomplices.”

His Honour, Judge Hardy came in at about 10.06 am and immediately set out to business.

The names of the accused were called and three ladies, later identified as Ibori-Ibie Christine .O, Pogoson Adebimpe F and Onuigbo Udoamaka were ushered into the dock. In particular, Ms. Onuigbo appeared to have lost a lot of weight, unlike her previous appearances. The trio had a subdued look.

There was silence at the public gallery in which the Nigerian spectators sat, except for the murmur of “Awon Ole,” which is Yoruba for ‘these thieves!’ from a middle aged Nigerian lady. The trio were admitted on bail by the court, with counsel to Ibori-Ibie putting forward arguments for restrictions on media reporting of the case.

A lot of the time was spent on requesting a sanction on the reportage of the proceedings. The argument did not go down well with those of us in the public gallery. After a long argument and counter argument, the Judge gave a ruling barring media publications “to prevent prejudice/contempt of court.”

Intimidating presence

The case is expected to go on for days but, from all indications, the accused were jolted with the presence of Nigerians and could barely look up to where members of the public sat.

LOL! @ bolded. The silly woman just further confirmed to us and the world that Ibori indeed stole money. grin grin grin She no sharp at all grin grin
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by puskin: 8:59am On Sep 22, 2009
Good, @least if Nigeria can't prosecute her "thieves", let other countries do it for her.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by puskin: 9:00am On Sep 22, 2009
Good, @least if Nigeria can't prosecute her "thieves", let other countries do it for her.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by timbuktu1: 9:07am On Sep 22, 2009
Ibori's female aides in London court over money laundering

The money laundering trial involving the female aides of the former governor of Delta State, James Onanefe Ibori, began yesterday at the Southwark Crown Court, London around 10am. The aides reportedly helped him move an estimated £70 million worth of looted funds through several London banks,

Bimpe Pogoson, Ibori’s former personal assistant on confidential matters, and Christie Ibori-Ibie, his sister, were charged in December 2007 on three counts of conspiring “together with James Onanefe Ibori, Udoamaka Onuigbo (also known as Okoronkwo) and others to defraud the Delta State Government”.

The charge sheet also stated that Ms. Ibori-Ibie “attempted, dishonestly, to obtain for herself or another, a money transfer of £1,075,890 from four different companies, between July 2001 and April 2006”. She is therefore answering to five of eight charges,

Related stories
*Nigerians in London witness the Ibori trial
*The charges against the defendants
*Aondoakaa, Ibori defend selves
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by oge4real(f): 11:08am On Sep 22, 2009
This is goodnews, hope they will eventually get to Ibori himself,(if his personal minister of justice will give him up).
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 22, 2009
While I'm happy these rapscallions are being tried i'm not quite sure the punishment they'll get if eventually found guilty will measure up to their deeds.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by saworoide: 11:44am On Sep 22, 2009
'Awon ole' indeed.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by semidaraeb(m): 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2009
I only hope they get right punishment 4 their crimes,as 4 d lady from ibori's family who said na only him steal money! What people like her deserve is to be locked up in a mental institution.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by nex(m): 12:09pm On Sep 22, 2009
Interesting. I thought Ibori has been found not guilty by Aodoaka or whatever his name is.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by FBS: 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2009
hmmm
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by posakosa(m): 12:26pm On Sep 22, 2009
I wonder who Ibori offended to have become the only disgraced politician amongst the MANY who have stolen,
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Builder: 12:38pm On Sep 22, 2009
i hope and pray they sentence the useless women to life in prison, and most of their days should be spent in temperature of -50 degrees
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by jaybee3(m): 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2009
posakosa:

I wonder who Ibori offended to have become the only disgraced politician amongst the MANY who have stolen,
He simply stole too much and doesn't help the fact that he his from the niger delta region (just think about what the money he stole could have done to that impoverished region)
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Allta(m): 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2009
Na wa for all these Money Launderers self, why not bury the money for your farm yard? Nonsense!!
UK can tear the aides apart for all I care. Rubbish!!
And even Ibori himself nko, Barawo!!
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Oluschenco(m): 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2009
They should be imprisoned for life, this people have caused enough havoc to this great nation.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 22, 2009
See vex!!! cheesy
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by aieromon(m): 2:05pm On Sep 22, 2009
So we need foreigners to clean the mess for us
Let's see if they will escape like DSP Alams
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by akym(m): 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2009
Ask them and lets see what they have to say about it.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by MrCrackles(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
If there was a remote chance to land Ibori hot slaps if he was present at the court, then i wouldav gone. . .
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by rafcrown(m): 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2009
Almighty God will Bless Abundantly all the good Nigerians waging war Against Corruption
This is just the begining for THE ROGUES
The rogues will be disgraced at home amd abroad and in their graves,if they will have one
Thanks a lot to the great organisers
One former bank chief still in London-Let him go and face EFCC then he can come back for" holiday"/"asylum"
Millions of Nigerians are all over the world
To survive
Bad ROADS,nO LIGHT,NO FOOD,NO JOBS,NO SECURITY,
but Ibori and other looters they enjoy
Buy houses all over the world
The land flowing for milk and honey is now flowing with tears and pains
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
posakosa:

jay bee:

He simply stole too much and doesn't help the fact that he his from the niger delta region (just think about what the money he stole could have done to that impoverished region)

Ibori's loot is kid's play when it comes to that of Odili's, yet, nobody talks about Odili anymore.

These are the reasons why Ibori is so hated by nigerians:

1. He sponsored yaradua into the presidency with a huge loot.
2. He indirectly appoints major office holders eg Waziri, Aondakaa, Ehindero, NAFDAC boss etc
3. He pally's with Yaradua, hence do have a big say on how nigeria is being ran.
4. And ofcourse, he looted Delta dry.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by akym(m): 3:41pm On Sep 22, 2009
Na na na wa ohh
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by banom(m): 3:50pm On Sep 22, 2009
mbulela:

Intimidating presence

[b]The drama of the whole event was when a lady, who claimed to be a family of the Iboris, came to the public gallery and rained curses on imaginary enemies, wondering loudly: “what is the business of you people (Nigerians) in London to come to court? Na only Ibori steal money?” Defence lawyer for Ms Ibori-Ibie, Andrew Trollope complained about the “intimidating presence” of Nigerians in the court and vowed to move for restrictions on attendance.[/b]The case is expected to go on for days but, from all indications, the accused were jolted with the presence of Nigerians and could barely look up to where members of the public sat.

Hmm , are they afraid of their brothers and sisters in london, i thought they should be happy that fellows came to show their solidarity for their able former governor.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Sauron1: 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2009
mbulela:

Intimidating presence

Is the venue Southwark Crown Court or County Court?
Lemme go and see James Ibori(the saviour of the Niger-Delta region).
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by ToToChoper: 4:00pm On Sep 22, 2009
Though I'm not a fan of Ibori, I am also not casting stones either.

Yes. . , . .we all are aware of James Ibori the petty thief, the credit card fraudster, the grandscale treasury crook, the money launderer, the big time briber, etc., but the truth is. . . . . . show me any perfect politician in Nigeria and I can boldly guarantee you that official is only clean because he/she hasn't been caught.

Is this not the same country ex-gov Lucky Igbenedion was slammed 191-charge counts and was granted bail?

How many paraded the courtroom then?

The mantra of our politics has always been a "favour for a favour" and we know who financed Yaradua's campaign. Therefore, trust our most corruptible figure, devil's advocate and "rule of law" monger Mike Aondoakaa to come to the rescue on this one by diggin into his bag of tricks to seek extradition to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by lawrence83: 4:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
this is just the beginning of another saga from a country already filled with uncountable Drama

but this time Onanafe ibori is the main actor, and also starring bimpe pogoson,Ibori-ibie Christienne and introducing oniugbo Udoamaka as Okonronkwo while am always a

Spectator.

Venue:court 8 of couthwack county club,south east London.

Am Spell bound to this, happy viewing
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by adaku123(f): 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
Dis Women Are Goingg To Be Used As D Scapegoats!!! Chey YA!!! I Doubt Ibori Is Going To Jail Dats Just Jist !--- Last Time I Checked--- It Works As Steal More Money SO Ppl Are Afraid To Arrest U Since Dey Dont Know If You VE Bought Thier Boss---

Contrary To Wat People Believe Thieves Are Everywhere-- Even Here In Jand --- SO Believe It That The Right People Have To Be Paid AnD A good lawyer Is Just What Ibori Needs-- ALl This Drama Is For The Ignorant Public-- I Will Be Shocked If Even Ibori  Is Sent To Jail and If Its More Than a Yr---- I Will Eat My Words shocked shocked shocked

Didnt Alamesiagha Leave London ---  grin grin grin Please Its The Women Who are gonna get it!!!!  
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by anonimi: 4:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
ToToChoper:

Though I'm not a fan of Ibori, I am also not casting stones either.

Yes. . , . .we all are aware of James Ibori the petty thief, the credit card fraudster, the grandscale treasury crook, the money launderer, the big time briber, etc., but the truth is. . . . . . show me any perfect politician in Nigeria and I can boldly guarantee you that official is only clean because he/she hasn't been caught.
Is this not the same country ex-gov Lucky Igbenedion was slammed 191-charge counts and was granted bail?

How many paraded the courtroom then?

The mantra of our politics has always been a "favour for a favour" and we know who financed Yaradua's campaign. Therefore, trust our most corruptible figure, devil's advocate and "rule of law" monger Mike Aondoakaa to come to the rescue on this one by diggin into his bag of tricks to seek extradition to Nigeria.

so what do you suggest- fold our hands until someone (NOT you, I, my relations or friends) else takes ALL of them at the SAME time and cleans up shocked
I thought a journey of a thousand miles starts with just one little step
If someone starts with his enemies while in power, the next person will also start with his own enemy and gradually people will appreciate it's better to live clean for everyone's benefit, as oyibos learnt a few centuries ago.
Re: Nigerians In London Witness The Ibori Trial by Edoji: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Bianca A Gold-digger Or Truthful Wife To Dim Emeka Ojukwu? / 40-ft Container Of Explosives Intercepted By Customs At Lagos / See The Handsome Dude Gov Okorocha Appointed As Chief Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.