Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. (50072 Views)

Alex Nwora And Son, Jordan Nwora In The Nigerian Basketball Team. Photos / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics / Rio 2016: Egyptians Wear Hijab While Playing Volleyball With Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by mmsen: 9:04am On Aug 06, 2016
2kurupt:

"there aren't enough good quality hotels in Rio" shocked Did I just read that correctly?

C'mon man, Rio de Janeiro is a top holiday destination & that wasn't just a media propaganda. I ain't a Brazilian but I find that statement of yours insulting, discrediting an entire city just to justify your point.

So the rest of the US contingent using the Olympic village & lodging at hotels are 3rd class American citizens right? undecided

Someone said "Blackman mentality" above and you guys were seeking for his head. I can't say am surprised in all these since almost the entire US basketball team is made up of blacks.

The top golfers and tennis players also have alternate/superior accommodation - is that also due 'blackman mentality'? Those that have the means usually do not stay in the village because the hames village is, at best, a mediocre venue.

A lack of quality hotels was a comment made by several media outlets and the US basketball administration decided to take appropriate action. The Australians have been crying that they wish they'd found alternate accommodation because the official quarters are a disgrace - is that also because of a 'blackman mentality'? They've been saying for years that Rio would need a lot of work to be ready for such events.

How about the athletes who have said that they won't be going to Rio because they fear for their health and safety? Is that also due to 'blackman mentality? Is it a 'blackman mentality' that has some people worried about the Zika virus during Brazil's winter time when mosquitos will be non-existent? Or in Rio when the Zika virus is more prevalent in northern Brazil?

Some of you have a level of self-hatred thah makes me wonder why you don't top yourselves instead of occupying space and spewing nonsense. What the hell is a 'blackman mentality'?

Many athletes will nat be staying in the games village. It happens every tournament. I'm still not sure why it's such a big deal to some of you.

P.S.
This is the Rio that you are defending - Bus full of Chinese basketball reporters caught in roadside gunfight on the way to Olympic Village in Rio:
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/08/05/rio_roadside_shoot_out.php
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by 2kurupt(m): 11:28am On Aug 06, 2016
mmsen:

The top golfers and tennis players also have alternate/superior accommodation - is that also due 'blackman mentality'? Those that have the means usually do not stay in the village because the hames village is, at best, a mediocre venue.

A lack of quality hotels was a comment made by several media outlets and the US basketball administration decided to take appropriate action. The Australians have been crying that they wish they'd found alternate accommodation because the official quarters are a disgrace - is that also because of a 'blackman mentality'? They've been saying for years that Rio would need a lot of work to be ready for such events.

How about the athletes who have said that they won't be going to Rio because they fear for their health and safety? Is that also due to 'blackman mentality? Is it a 'blackman mentality' that has some people worried about the Zika virus during Brazil's winter time when mosquitos will be non-existent? Or in Rio when the Zika virus is more prevalent in northern Brazil?

Some of you have a level of self-hatred thah makes me wonder why you don't top yourselves instead of occupying space and spewing nonsense. What the hell is a 'blackman mentality'?

Many athletes will nat be staying in the games village. It happens every tournament. I'm still not sure why it's such a big deal to some of you.

P.S.
This is the Rio that you are defending - Bus full of Chinese basketball reporters caught in roadside gunfight on the way to Olympic Village in Rio:
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/08/05/rio_roadside_shoot_out.php

Self hate you say? How about passing your point across without being abusive? It's not like you're gonna be paid throwing around insults to anybody that doesn't share your views.

Digging thru Google to find negative news links ain't gonna validate the fact that a cruise ship accommodation for a select few is out of place & completely unnecessary. Would they be putting on gas mask during the basketball matches for fear of zika virus? Enough said, peace out
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by mmsen: 11:42am On Aug 06, 2016
2kurupt:

Self hate you say? How about passing your point across without being abusive? It's not like you're gonna be paid throwing around insults to anybody that doesn't share your views.

Digging thru Google to find negative news links ain't gonna validate the fact that a cruise ship accommodation for a select few is out of place & completely unnecessary. Would they be putting on gas mask during the basketball matches for fear of zika virus? Enough said, peace out

That's the most recent news story, I didn't need to dig. It's doing the rounds on social media.

You still haven't explained or supported your point.

The facts are:

Top athletes typically find alternate accommodation during the Olympics, it happened last time in London, in 2012. It happened previously in Beijing, in 2008.The US basketball team has always done so this time and idiots are shouting about 'blackman mentality' without:

a) explaining what a 'blackman mentality' is
b) explaining why so many 'white' athletes are also staying away from the Olympic Village
c) explaining why they should not stay in a venue where they have the best security and comfort

Australians are complaining about their accommodation - Rio Olympics Athletes' Village Declared "Uninhabitable" http://deadspin.com/rio-olympics-athletes-village-declared-uninhabitable-1784219622. Do they also suffer from the so-called 'blackman mentality'?

And here's more Rio news - Russian diplomat shoots dead armed mugger in Rio:
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/05/russian-diplomat-shoots-dead-armed-mugger-in-rio-6048889/#mv-b
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by 2kurupt(m): 11:52am On Aug 06, 2016
mmsen:

That's the most recent news story, I didn't need to dig. It's doing the rounds on social media.

You still haven't explained or supported your point.

The facts are:

Top athletes typically find alternate accommodation during the Olympics, it last time in London, in 2012. It happened previously in Beijing, in 2008.The US basketball team has always done so this time and idiots are shouting about 'blackman mentality' without:

a) explaining what a 'blackman mentality' is
b) explaining why so many 'white' athletes are also staying away from the Olympic Village
c) explaining why they should not stay in a venue where they have the best security and comfort

Australians are complaining about their accommodation - Rio Olympics Athletes' Village Declared "Uninhabitable" http://deadspin.com/rio-olympics-athletes-village-declared-uninhabitable-1784219622. Do they also suffer from the so-called 'blackman mentality'?

And here's more Rio news - Russian diplomat shoots dead armed mugger in Rio:
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/05/russian-diplomat-shoots-dead-armed-mugger-in-rio-6048889/#mv-b

Why should I address your questions when you dodged mine b4 asking yours?

Every city got it's good & bad sides. Aside the negative news & reports, ask yourself when last the top media outfits cnn, BBC etc etc reported something that's commendable in South America or Africa?

Do you know there were terror & crime related attacks during some previous sports events hosted by your beloved US of A? Google it then maybe you'll have a rethink.

This matter has been over flogged, enough said. I'll stop responding to comments on this thread henceforth.
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by emorse(m): 12:59pm On Aug 06, 2016
pippimp:

Sorry about the rude comment.
No probs bro.
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by mmsen: 1:09pm On Aug 06, 2016
2kurupt:

Why should I address your questions when you dodged mine b4 asking yours?

Every city got it's good & bad sides. Aside the negative news & reports, ask yourself when last the top media outfits cnn, BBC etc etc reported something that's commendable in South America or Africa?

Do you know there were terror & crime related attacks during some previous sports events hosted by your beloved US of A? Google it then maybe you'll have a rethink.

This matter has been over flogged, enough said. I'll stop responding to comments on this thread henceforth.

You didn't ask a question.

You have failed to make a valid point supported by evidence and are now ducking out of a discussion that you clearly did not (and do not have) sufficient understanding of.

All cities suffer with crime by crime in Rio is a greater concern than elsewhere. It is regularly surveyed as being one of the most crime ridden in the world. In a country that is recognised as being one of the most unequal.

P.S.
Nowhere have I expressed love for the USA - someone tried to suggest that crime in Queens, New York is as bad as it is Rio. The US Open is played in Queens every year without the crime problems that Rio has. I detest lies and misinformation and self-hatred and that is why I asked questions and presented evidence and sound logic.
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by Mikeiron78(m): 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2016
emorse:

Even if a cruise ship fit 300 people, does it mean that they have to call everyone competing to come and stay with them, the players did not pay for the ship, it was paid for by 1 agency, research that.
So, I understand your thought, but you'll think this way because you have lived your whole life in a poverty stricken nation. I was born and raised in Nigeria, but have been living in the United States for almost 20 years, so, I can weight both behaviors in each country and understand better than you. So, keep living your life that way because people cannot be changed even in the US, we have some Africans that go to the fish store to buy fish heads and okra, not because they don't have the money, but because poverty is part of their life.

Just as I expected. lol. Its poverty mentality now because Americans are involved right? But you lots will cry out to high heavens when "men of god" and politicians display their affluence brazenly. God dey watch una in 3d.

Y'all are yelling comfort but if I may ask, what does it take to be comfortable? A yacht? Whatever happened to five star hotels? Are you aware that that yacht can accommodate about 300 guests? How many players make a basketball team? What happens to other American athletes?

Yes they can afford it but I maintain that it is wasteful for a squad of just 12 players and their officials to occupy a luxury facility that can accommodate 300 people COMFORTABLY.
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by Mikeiron78(m): 8:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
2kurupt:

grin funny how you reason about being successful.

That "poverty-stricken" reasoning is why you don't see most black American celebrities remain up there for a long time, not to talk of their entire life. We've seen it time & again of super rich boxers, musicians etc squander their wealth away while their white counterparts remain in the good life & pass it on to the offspring.

Have you ever wondered why the top 3 richest men have retained & been shuffling those rich-list positions among themselves? It is called being prudent

Black people that are rich spend their money in a different way than the rich whites, you might not understand anyway,lol
Re: RIO 2016: Where American Basketball Team Will Stay VS The Athletes' Village. by Mikeiron78(m): 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2018
2kurupt:

We're not talking about social class nor stratification. The International Olympic Committee already knows that several of these sportsmen are millionaires before approving the Olympic village for use. It's a sports tournament and not some jamboree so all that's needed is the basics.

Are you saying the Australian NBA stars that are chilling with the rest of the Australian contingent are dumb or broke? The point is why bring about unnecessary media attention when that's not the main objective why they're there? Come to think of it, how many of the NBA stars were born with a "silver spoon" as you put it?

Don't let your sentiments for anything Nigerian blindfold you to think this ain't showing off.

Funny how you guys rush to say "hating" in simple argumentation when neither of us are directly connected with the subject matter.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion,lol. This is an online forum where the smart and no so smart people learn from one another, it's not that serious,lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Super Eagles Shocked By Fans At Their Hotel After Their Hotel Address Was Leaked / These 2 Pictures Show What Players Face In The Nigeria Professional League / Sadio Mane Mocks Manchester United 2-0 PSG Loss (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.