Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! (17699 Views)

Falconet Player Sophia Omotola Omidiji: National U-20 Women / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / FIFA U-20 Women : Nigeria Score Fastest Goal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by MrCrackles(m): 6:14pm On Oct 13, 2009
koolchicco:

What if they fail to make it through tonight? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Then i will buy you a gourd of palm wine!
wink
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by koolchicco: 6:19pm On Oct 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Then i will buy you a gourd of palm wine! wink

Deal!! grin grin
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Borat1: 6:32pm On Oct 13, 2009
The black satellites came to egypt as african champions, and without much fanfare, romped their way to the finals in blistering style. . . shocked
IMPRESSIVE!
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by chic2pimp(m): 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2009
FBS:

A cracking second half but Ghana goes through to the final.

Adiyiah 8 Goals in 6 matches. Impressive!
Ghana 3 - 2 Hungary
Let's hope the dude does not fall by the way side like many of his compatriots have done in the past.

Any one remember him?

Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Emperoh(m): 9:37pm On Oct 13, 2009
And somehow, Brazil rides roughshod over Costa Rica
It ended Brazil 1-0 CostaRica

So Ghana v Brazil finals
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by 9ijaprince(m): 3:53am On Oct 14, 2009
Whao its gonna be a classic encounter. It reminds me of australia '93. Ghana scored first and later went down to 2 to 1
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 6:47am On Oct 14, 2009
Brazil 1 - 0 Costa Rica
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 6:48am On Oct 14, 2009
Satellites and Seleção reach final

THE DAY REPLAYED - Ghana and Brazil booked their places in the final of the FIFA U-20 World Cup after narrow vicftories over Hungary and Costa Rica respectively at Cairo's International Stadium.

With three players including influential captain Vladimir Koman suspended and Krisztian Nemeth suffering from sickness and forced to withdraw during half time, it was always going to be an uphill battle for Hungary and so it proved. Dominic Adiyiah netted his seventh and eight goals of the tournament to give Ghana a 2-0 lead and although the Europeans reduced the deficit twice through Marco Futacs and Adam Balajti, Abeiku Quansah's goal was worthy of being the matchwinner. 

Meanwhile, Alan Kardec scored his fourth goal of the tournament and his third against Costa Rica as A Seleção squeezed past Los Ticos in the day's second game. The Brazilian No9, named after the 19th Century French teacher of Spiritism, ghosted in at the far post to volley home Bertucci's left wing cross.

The results ensure a rematch of the 1993 final, which Brazil won 2-1 in Sydney, thanks to goals from Yan and Gian, but Ghana coach Sellas Tetteh has already declared that he perceives his side to be ‘hot favourites' for the game. Hungary and Costa Rica, meanwhile, meet in the earlier game on Friday afternoon as they battle it out for bronze.

Results
Ghana 3-2 Hungary
Brazil 1-0 Costa Rica
*Click on the links on the right for reports and reaction on both of these games.

Goal of the day
Ghana 3-2 Hungary, Abeiku Quansah 81

With the Black Satellites leading 2-1 and time ticking away, Hungary were searching for an equaliser and consequently leaving gaps at the back. They were exploited superbly by Ghana in a wonderful move, capped by a finish of the highest order. Adiyiah picked up the ball and ran at the Magyar defence, before passing it to Opoku Agyemang who in turn played it first time to Quansah on the right hand side of the box. The Nice midfielder took one touch to control the ball, a second to tee himself up before unleashing a right footed piledriver from 12 yards which crashed off the underside of the bar, before bouncing over the line.

Memorable moments
Super subs: Second half substitutes in the Ghana-Hungary game all played a major part in the three goals scored in the closing 45 minutes. While Futacs and Balajti netted for Hungary, Agyemang, who came on for Ghana skipper Andre Ayew made the assist for Quansah's matchwinner.

The best seat in the house?: The suspended Sandor Egervari was sat in the VIP tribune for today's semi-final in one of the luxurious cinema-style chairs at the Cairo International Stadium. Indeed, the Hungary coach was reacting to the drama as if he was watching a Hollywood blockbuster, but unfortunately for him and his players, the show did not have a happy ending.

Defender of the Faith: As the Hungary players lay dejected on the turf shortly after the final whistle, the Ghanaians gathered, not to celebrate, but to give glory to God for their victory. Led by centre back Daniel Addo, the boys who had been playing were now praying in thanksgiving.

Saving grace: People say that goals win games, and rightly so, but had Rafael not pulled off one of the saves of the tournament in the 15th minute, then the outcome of the match with Costa Rica could have been entirely different. David Guzman's free-kick seemed destined to dip under the bar, before the keeper launched himself to his left at full stretch before tipping the ball over for a corner.

The stat
12 - Brazil's victory over Costa Rica means that a country from CONMEBOL will be represented in the final of the FIFA U-20 World Cup for the 12th time in 17 editions of the tournament;  a total of 71 per cent. You have to look back to Nigeria 1999 when Japan met Spain for the last time a side from South America failed to feature in the final, while 1983, 1995 and 1997 witnessed all-CONMEBOL encounters.

Fan's view
"First of all congratulations to Ghana; great play, great result, I wish Ghana all the best in the final but I would like to say thank you to all our Hungarian players for the unbelievable efforts in this tournament so far! Guys, you are the best for us and you have the chance to take third place which is fantastic as well! Go go go Hungary! We are with you," Roberto_HUN (Hungary) offers a sporting and supporting comment after his side's loss.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009
Match for third place
Hungary-Costa Rica

Final
Ghana-Brazil

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/news/newsid=1117757.html#satellites+selecao+reach+final
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by mukina2: 1:57pm On Oct 14, 2009
I just hope Brazil does not jinx this lipsrsealed
They started with confed . hmm
I hope Ghana wins this .
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by txxxed(m): 8:02pm On Oct 14, 2009
Brazil will be beaten on Friday. They have scored goals, but they have not impressed. Though Ghana themselves have not been too fantastic.
I think the fact that Ghana and indeed Africa have not won this cup before will make Ghana the hungrier of the two teams on Friday.

UP BLACK SATELLITES
Read more football gist on www.gamegist.com
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by RSA(m): 10:19am On Oct 15, 2009
Adiyah!
Ghana we love you.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by adebayo201: 2:02pm On Oct 15, 2009
RSA:

Adiyah!
Ghana we love you.
go ghana win
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2009
And here comes the final day of the FIFA U-20 tournament. Who will carry the day?

Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Dclique(m): 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2009
The Cup is coming to Africa.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by edoyad(m): 1:18pm On Oct 16, 2009
What time is brazil vs ghana
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2009
7pm.

Hungary and Costa Rica are boring the heck outta me.
They should hurry up and make way for the main match jo.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 5:55pm On Oct 16, 2009
Penalty shoot out.
Loving this.

Go Hungary!
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 5:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
Estrada of Costa Rica misses the first shot!
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2009
Costa Rican guys should be very ashamed of themselves.

Second dude takes the penalty like a man in a wheelchair would. *hiss*
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2009
Unbelievable.
Hungarian captain misses, 3rd Costa Rican guy misses woefully.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 6:40pm On Oct 16, 2009
The boys from Costa Rica should've changed their boots before the penalty shoot out. Crazy!
Though I think the ref messed up small. The keeper I think saved the Hungarian first spot kick quite beautifully.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by chic2pimp(m): 6:49pm On Oct 16, 2009
COMMON SELECAO SHOW THOSE OVER-AGED AFRICANS HOW TO PLAY SAMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Cristalz(f): 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2009
@FBS
Ref said the goalie came off his line before the shot was taken.
But the Costa Rican guys should be ashamed. They couldn't even get one shot right!
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by chic2pimp(m): 9:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
CONGRATULATIONS TO MY FELLOW GHANIANS grin grin cheesy

HOPEFULLY Y'ALL WON'T GO THE SAME WAY MY FELLOW NIGERIANS WENT AFTER WINNING ATLANTA 96. WHILE OTHER COUNTRIES LIKE ITALY,ARGENTINA,BRAZIL,FRANCE ET AL WHERE BUSY GROOMING PLAYERS FOR PARTICIPATION IN SUBSEQUENT WORLD CUPS ,NIGERIANS WERE SINGING WHEN NIGERIA BEAT BRAZIL.
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2009
What a team, what a match. Super Brilliant performance from Ghana.
The boys played like their lives depended on it. And the coach was tactically sound.

MOTM for me was Mensah even though he missed a penalty. He was like a rock at the heart of Ghana's defense.

Congrats to Ghana The Fifa U-20 2009 Egypt Champions!
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by mukina2: 11:54pm On Oct 16, 2009
First Glory for Africa cool

Though i wished it were CIV sha

U20- Gone

U17- we go claim am too cool

Congrats Ghana . . .The match was exciting and nerve wrecking grin grin

Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by Fhemmmy: 4:23am On Oct 17, 2009
for a non-soccer fan, this is the best soccer match i have watched in years, remind me of when Nija used to be named a soccer nation.
hope to see Nigeria do it once again.
Congrats, Ghana
Re: Fifa U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009- The Official Thread! by FBS: 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2009
It was a worthy final match. Drama, passion, lady luck and tactical awareness.
Congrats to Ghana for you have made Africa proud.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for your time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Nigeria Qualifies For Finals Of Men & Women's Football @ The All Africa Games / Arsenal Complete Gabriel Jesus Signing / Real Madrid Set To Loan Jovic To AC Milan Just 2 Months After Signing Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.