Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,309 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Let's Build A Car - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Build A Car (15967 Views)

China To Build A Flying Train With A Supersonic Speed Of 4000km/hr / Cummins Just Beat Tesla In The Race To Build A Semi Electric Truck / Why It Takes Six Months To Build A Rolls Royce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Build A Car by Ndukwe007(m): 12:08am On Aug 20, 2016
MicroBox:
Why not let build and focus on hybrid cars....
somebody is talking. i think we shoul do something different from what others are doing. my idea is build a fiberglass car running on a motorcycle engine. a portable tricycle will be a good start though.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Ndukwe007(m): 12:15am On Aug 20, 2016
we can also start with cheap pedal powered vehicles. a lot of low class earners will patronize.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 20, 2016
Ndukwe007:

somebody is talking. i think we shoul do something different from what others are doing. my idea is build a fiberglass car running on a motorcycle engine. a portable tricycle will be a good start though.

One person in my club has an Austin Mini Cooper that is running on a Hayabusa engine. Scary fast for sure but not appropriate for a family commuter vehicle in my opinion.

1) Very noisy.

2) Not enough torque.

3)

That been said, the first project that I'm going to do in my shop is to buy a Keke Marwa, replace most non-structural body panels with carbon fiber, paint it back into yellow, install a Hayabusa engine and then go hunt, read embarrass, all the posers in their "sports cars" grin

Re: Let's Build A Car by nuwell(m): 8:32am On Aug 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

One person in my club has an Austin Mini Cooper that is running on a Hayabusa engine. Scary fast for sure but not appropriate for a family commuter vehicle in my opinion.

1) Very noisy.

2) Not enough torque.

3)

That been said, the first project that I'm going to do in my shop is to buy a Keke Marwa, replace most non-structural body panels with carbon fiber, paint it back into yellow, install a Hayabusa engine and then go hunt, read embarrass, all the posers in their "sports cars" grin

What's that frame in the attached picture?
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 20, 2016
nuwell:

What's that frame in the attached picture?

Space frame for a classic Austin Mini Cooper.

This is my idea for building a car when you don't have giant presses. You can then clad it in hand laid fiberglass, carbon fiber or sheet metal.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 9:11am On Aug 20, 2016
Ndukwe007:

What's with u Oga and tricycle? I want a made in Nigeria car, that will stand kidigba on d road. Plsss
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 20, 2016
princetom1:

What's with u Oga and tricycle? I want a made in Nigeria car, that will stand kidigba on d road. Plsss

I agree. This thread is about building cars.
Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 11:02am On Aug 20, 2016
Am the referee here o. While am not an expert like my Oga masquerade, I have good sense of judgement, keen eyes for details and quality. An inspection expert (if there is anything like that, lol). The mechanics, where una, 0rex, we need ur expertise with electronics o. GAZZUZZ is on holiday, Kingreign is expecting a client. We are still at d beginning of our journey. Common guys, we can do this, cheers, cheers, cheers

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 20, 2016
My oga, we haven't reached electronics stage na.

It will make a lot of sense if we can design every bit of the car from scratch (for then can we truly say we have built a car) but I'm afraid about the mechanical aspect especially those that include heavy metal parts such as the engine, wheels and suspension.

The body is not much of a problem, we can use aluminum and fibre glass.

Electronics & wiring too are not a problem.

This project will be capital, labor & time intensive, we must be prepared for that.
Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 2:23pm On Aug 20, 2016
0rex:
My oga, we haven't reached electronics stage na.

It will make a lot of sense if we can design every bit of the car from scratch (for then can we truly say we have built a car) but I'm afraid about the mechanical aspect especially those that include heavy metal parts such as the engine, wheels and suspension.

The body is not much of a problem, we can use aluminum and fibre glass.

Electronics & wiring too are not a problem.

This project will be capital, labor & time intensive, we must be prepared for that.

Am sure u know how the auto industry works. U don't do everything urself, especially the engine and wheels. U know 1 thing i love about this? We aren't expecting anything from the government bcoz from the moment u do, u are on limbo. I agree with u on being time consuming, capital and labour. We must be prepared
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 20, 2016
princetom1:

Am sure u know how the auto industry works. U don't do everything urself, especially the engine and wheels. U know 1 thing i love about this? We aren't expecting anything from the government bcoz from the moment u do, u are on limbo. I agree with u on being time consuming, capital and labour. We must be prepared

This idea that we must manufacture everything to the last bolt in Nigeria is my biggest dissspointment with folks.
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
I asked my brother in law what he'd like in a car if he had the chance to choose and he said;
1) It has to be off the floor (the body)
2) The tyres should be big
3) The shocks must be strong
and some other irrelevant things but those three things are the most important things to him and im sure it is to other people who ply nigerian roads.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
DieuDonee:
I asked my brother in law what he'd like in a car if he had the chance to choose and he said;
1) It has to be off the floor (the body)
2) The tyres should be big
3) The shocks must be strong
and some other irrelevant things but those three things are the most important things to him and im sure it is to other people who ply nigerian roads.

Thank you for sharing.

I had to be a CUV to carry the required suspension. That's a given.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
What's the most common size of passenger tire in Nigeria?

One that is most common and can be found new at the usual stockists?

It's time to start doing some modelings grin
Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:
What's the most common size of passenger tire in Nigeria?

One that is most common and can be found new at the usual stockists?

It's time to start doing some modelings grin

Double king, reliable and dependable, brand new starts from around 10k500 to 13k has size 195/65R15LT THE higher the tire length, the more the price
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This idea that we must manufacture everything to the last bolt in Nigeria is my biggest dissspointment with folks.
What differentiates building a car from assembling one?
I probably haven't understood the mission at hand.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 20, 2016
nurey:

Double king, reliable and dependable, brand new starts from around 10k500 to 13k has size 195/65R15LT THE higher the tire length, the more the price

Okay, I'll do the modeling based on 15" size then.

It's for the height, so the vehicle will have a minimum 7.5" ground clearance. Nothing will hang below that.

Thanks.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2016
0rex:

What differentiates building a car from assembling one?
I probably haven't understood the mission at hand.

The mission at hand is to build a car. A car that'll be designed by Nigerians using the best parts that fit the purpose.

Innoson runs an asssemby factory. Nissan manufacture cars.

The longer that we're in existence the more parts we can create in house.

Starting off by piecemealing subassemblied from then world is not bad.

WaZoBia cars, "built and assembled in Nigeria from 70% locally made parts".

There's also a cost benefit factor. If it'll cost you N10,000 for each dashboard that you'll create but you can work a deal with dashboard manufacturers for theirs that will fit the specific scope of your build and for N2,500 then it'll be fiscally irresponsible not to do so.

BMW doesn't make light bulbs that's used in their cars wink
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The mission at hand is to build a car. A car that'll be designed by Nigerians using the best parts that fit the purpose.
Innoson runs an asssemby factory. Nissan manufacture cars.
The longer that we're in existence the more parts we can create in house.
Starting off by piecemealing subassemblied from then world is not bad.
WaZoBia cars, "built and assembled in Nigeria from 70% locally made parts".
There's also a cost benefit factor. If it'll cost you N10,000 for each dashboard that you'll create but you can work a deal with dashboard manufacturers for theirs that will fit the specific scope of your build and for N2,500 then it'll be fiscally irresponsible not to do so.
BMW doesn't make light bulbs that's used in their cars wink
princetom1:

Thanks. I was thinking in another line before. Your explanations made me see how ridiculous it was. cheesy

What if we create a post for the design/features of the perfect nigerian car?
I'm pretty certain we will get a lot of ideas, even outright crazy ones which we could then sift from.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2016
0rex:

Thanks. I was thinking in another line before. Your explanations made me see how ridiculous it was. cheesy

What if we create a post for the design/features of the perfect nigerian car?
I'm pretty certain we will get a lot of ideas, even outright crazy ones which we could then sift from.

You are free to create that post if it'll serve your purpose.

This thread is fine and on topic.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You are free to create that post if it'll serve your purpose.

This thread is fine and on topic.
I have no separate purpose for it so I won't be doing that, it was just a recommendation.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 21, 2016

I have no separate purpose for it so I won't be doing that, it was just a recommendation.

No worries mate.

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 12:51pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thank you for sharing.

I had to be a CUV to carry the required suspension. That's a given.

Or a truck but not everyone likes trucks.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2016
DieuDonee:

Or a truck but not everyone likes trucks.

I'm certain that there will be a 2 door hatch/coupe (we'll create the market because it has been said that it is not liked in Nigeria), 4 door sedan and a truck.
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm certain that there will be a 2 door hatch/coupe (we'll create the market because it has been said that it is not liked in Nigeria), 4 door sedan and a truck.

Its not that hatch/coupe are liked. It's just that the people who like it can't afford it (the youths). I don't know much about the engineering of a car but what would happen if a sedan or hatch is raised?
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 1:40pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Its not that hatch/coupe are not liked. It's just that the people who like it can't afford it (the youths). I don't know much about the engineering of a car but what would happen if a sedan or hatch is raised?
And I'm a 100% supporter of this venture.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 21, 2016
DieuDonee:

Its not that hatch/coupe are liked. It's just that the people who like it can't afford it (the youths). I don't know much about the engineering of a car but what would happen if a sedan or hatch is raised?
And I'm a 100% a supporter of this venture.

1) There is wealth in Nigeria, trust me on this.

2) I don't understand the bolded.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 21, 2016
azpekuliar:
Hi EgunMogaji. Sorry to digress a bit, but I can't help it. How's the BMW K1600GL? (Or is it the GTL?)
lost your P. Number
happy married life sir
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 9:00pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) There is wealth in Nigeria, trust me on this.
2) I don't understand the bolded.
I mean if the body is raised like that of an suv (riding high on its suspension)
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 21, 2016
DieuDonee:

I mean if the body is raised like that of an suv (riding high on its suspension)

So the higher the center of gravity the more chance of roll over and the more petrol it uses.

My design idea is to incorporate a hydraulic suspension system. This will raise the vehicle needed and return it to standard money saving and safe height when not needed.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 12:27am On Aug 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

So the higher the center of gravity the more chance of roll over and the more petrol it uses.
My design idea is to incorporate a hydraulic suspension system. This will raise the vehicle needed and return it to standard money saving and safe height when not needed.

That is a great idea. Will there be an on-board computer to control it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nissan Cars Stronger Than Toyota Cars? / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.