Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups (4735 Views)

These groups of people worldwide won't make it to heaven / The Sword, The Arm Of The Lord: Christian Terrorist Groups You Never Hear About / Islam Has No Relationship With Terrorist Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Seun(m): 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2016
Stop dumping plagiarized articles here. We need your original thoughts pls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by felixomor: 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2016
KingEtienneSky:
I'll like to share something with you, having seen what you're getting at....

Here is Weinberg's view on Christianity:
"The prestige of religion seems today to derive from what people take to be its moral influence, rather than from what they may think has been its success in accounting for what we see in nature. Conversely, I have to admit that, although I really don't believe in a cosmic designer, the reason that I am taking the trouble to argue about it is that I think that on balance the moral influence of religion has been awful. This is much too big a question to be settled here. On one side, I could point out endless examples of the harm done by religious enthusiasm, through a long history of progroms, crusades, and jihads, (.....) On the other side, many admirers of religion would set countless examples of the good done by religion. For instance, in his recent book Imagined Worlds, the distinguished physicist Freeman Dyson has emphasized the role of religious belief in suppression of slavery. (....) Where religion did make a difference, it was more in support of slavery than in opposition to it. Arguments from scripture were used in Parliament to defend the slave trade. Frederick Douglass told in his Narrative how his condition as a slave became worse when his master underwent a religious conversion that allowed him to justify slavery (....) she had never heard any sermon opposing slavery, but only countless sermons preaching that slavery was God's will. With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

Now, some people may find fault with the last statement and invariably seize on the error that it may contain to try to discredit the undeniable thrust, while never addressing the real point of the statement. Of course, Religion is not the only thing that make "good" people to do evil, but it is ONE of those many things that really does necessitate such happening.

Atheism is the belief that there's no God.... And that's the ONLY thing that atheists have in common, as far as atheism is concerned. An atheists murdurous character has NOTHING to do with his atheism...... neither does his altruistic tendencies..... Those qualities are totally independent of atheism. Any non-atheist could have easily been as murdurous or altruistic..... You get my point? There's no institution or book of atheism that all atheists must follow.... There's no Universal moral code that atheists must adhere to. BUT, can the same thing be said of religion?

Are Jihadists extremists? Are crusaders? Forget about what other Christians and muslims have to say..... Forget about the "moderates". Unlike atheists, religionists have universal codes that they must adhere to.... they have their "Holy Books". THAT is what matters..... THAT is what defines the religion, not the believers. Believers are often dishonest, they tend to cherry-pick, and are often ignorant of the fundamental tenets of their faith. So, it's not the believers that matter.... But the FUNDAMENTALS of the religions themselves.

Now, it's the CONTENT of these HOLY BOOKS on which the religions are founded that will tell you who is the extremist and who's not..... Who's the TRUE believer, the true, committed adherent.

The ANSWER, of course, is pretty obvious.

I must say I admire ur neatly constructed thesis.
I agree with some of ur lines but for the part which talks about "good and evil"
Because the idea and evolution of good, evil, punishment, karma etc. all have roots in religion. The belief in a supreme neutral observer who ensures good and evil is rewarded.
Or else, there is really no reason to be good if there is no neutral observer. It reAlly should be survival by the fittest. But thats not the case.
That aside. My point is buttressed in a statistical evaluation of both classes of people.
When we do an evaluation of the contributions of religion to humanity versus the cases of the ones who use it to defend their radicality and violence, the difference is massive.

Since there are intersections; tha's the only way we can do an evaluation.

Like the analogy which goes thus: somebody killing with a knife doesnt make the knife bad, the knife has many other good uses which outweighs "killing"
Hence my likewise reply to the topic "moderate religion as the reason for terrorism"
I hope u get my point clearer.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by analice107: 5:39pm On Aug 06, 2016
Osmondinho:

Sorry bro!!! Have seen first hand what sum xtian clerics can do
We don't have clerics in Christianity, we have Clergy. Now, tell me what you have seen Christ do first hand.

Am not a bro.
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by analice107: 5:42pm On Aug 06, 2016
otemanuduno:

I remember Festus telling Sol(Paul) the same thing when he began the gospel. Now Analice is here defending the gospel of the so-called mad man 'Paul'. Well, just wait two years more, you'll see something grin
Still not talking to mad Men.
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Ranchhoddas: 6:23pm On Aug 06, 2016
analice107:
Still not talking to mad Men.
Harsh!!
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by analice107: 7:02pm On Aug 06, 2016
angry
Ranchhoddas:
Harsh!!

tongue angry
Ranchhoddas:
Harsh!!
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by otemanuduno: 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2016
Charlesdock:
Any church that kills in the name of anything is of the devil not of God. Jesus said preach the gospel to all creatures, love your neighbour as yourself, pray for your enemies. These are the daily guide of christians.

But Yahweh god(Satan) commands people to kill. See this:

Exodus 32:1-2
1Now behold, there came a man of God from Judah to Bethel by the word of the LORD, while Jeroboam was standing by the altar to burn incense. 2He cried against the altar by the word of the LORD, and said, "O altar, altar, thus says the LORD, 'Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name; and on you he shall sacrifice the priests of the high places who burn incense on you, and human bones shall be burned on you.'"

Do you enjoy the bolded?
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Osmondinho(m): 8:55pm On Aug 06, 2016
analice107:

We don't have clerics in Christianity, we have Clergy. Now, tell me what you have seen Christ do first hand.

Am not a bro.

But I really can't go into that here... I don't want to sound critical to either religion

Sorry Madam...
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by jnrbayano(m): 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2016
Seun:
Moderate religion has already convinced this guy that people who criticize his religion deserve to be "destroyed". All you have to do to turn him into a murderer is to convince him that God wants him to be the instrument of their "destruction".

I admire your intelligence at times.

But this is devoid of connotation with my comment earlier.

No reason to hate God Seun.
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by jcross19: 9:37pm On Aug 06, 2016
crusadistic:

Just say you don't know the difference between killing and murder
all are shedding of blood!!!!!.
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 07, 2016
jcross19:
all are shedding of blood!!!!!.
Go tell your president who is currently murdering bokoharam
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Demmzy15(m): 9:15am On Aug 07, 2016
truthmans2012:

You don't know what you are saying.

Today's terrorists use sophisticated weapons, capable of killing hundreds of thousands in a day. Add that to the number Muhammad killed in his time. In one single day, Muhammad killed about 900 Jews. Add that to the so many attacks on towns and villages.

Besides, you don't seem to know that wars in the Bible fought by Israelis are reprisal attacks. The only war God told them to fight, which was not reprisal was when they were to take over the land of Canaan. And that was because God was annoyed with the Cannanites and wanted them displaced but could not happen without a war.

Now tell me, what was the population of the Canaanites? Or do you say they shouldn't fight those who first attacked them?
Those that died during the wars of Prophet Muhammad was slightly above 1,000 with the highest casualties in the battle of Mu'tah. Now can we compare that with the wars of Christ during the time of Moses to Jesus's thuggery in Jerusalem?!

1 Like

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Demmzy15(m): 9:19am On Aug 07, 2016
Charlesdock:
Any church that kills in the name of anything is of the devil not of God. Jesus said preach the gospel to all creatures, love your neighbour as yourself, pray for your enemies. These are the daily guide of christians.
Millions paid their lives for rejecting Christ, it was supported by all Christians, all the wars were commanded by Jesus representative on earth, the Pope!

1 Like

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by am0s(m): 12:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
some guys here are not different from boko haram
If You believe ur god wants you to argue with each other on which religion is better
then leave the boko haram alone to continue their crusade
Try and make other peoples life better even if yours are beyond repair not come here and fight for one mumu god
that you believe will one day will destroy some of ur friends
because they didnt believe in it.
Demmzy15
truthmans2012
analice107
crusadistic
promise10
ramon92

or is seun giving award for argument ere
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by analice107: 12:29pm On Aug 07, 2016
am0s:
some guys here are not different from boko haram
If You believe ur god wants you to argue with each other on which religion is better
then leave the boko haram alone to continue their crusade
Try and make other peoples life better even if yours are beyond repair not come here and fight for one mumu god
that you believe will one day will destroy some of ur friends
because they didnt believe in it.
Demmzy15
truthmans2012
analice107
crusadistic
promise10
ramon92

or is seun giving award for argument ere
At least I have a mumu God, what do you have?
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by analice107: 12:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
Osmondinho:

But I really can't go into that here... I don't want to sound critical to either religion

Sorry Madam...
You don't need to feel bad about it. We are Christians, we allow criticism. Christ allowed Criticism, so do we. Go on ahead and say what you have to say.

In life, if you are not Critiqued then you are done for. it helps you adjust in the areas you are lagging.
For whatever reason, Islam is against it. But we are not. A Strong person is the one who allows people to point out its flaws.
So, go ahead.

1 Like

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Charlesdock(m): 5:45pm On Aug 08, 2016
Demmzy15:
Millions paid their lives for rejecting Christ, it was supported by all Christians, all the wars were commanded by Jesus representative on earth, the Pope!
And where in the bible was it confirmed someone is to be the Jesus on earth. Please Sir always get your facts straight the pope is not one special being. I know all the atrocities committed by the then roman catholic church but let me tell you they didn't represent christ by sponsoring wars. No apostles of christ or early christians did such. Once again my brother go and learn the difference between a christian and a so-called-christian. Good day
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Charlesdock(m): 5:57pm On Aug 08, 2016
otemanuduno:

But Yahweh god(Satan) commands people to kill. See this:

Exodus 32:1-2
1Now behold, there came a man of God from Judah to Bethel by the word of the LORD, while Jeroboam was standing by the altar to burn incense. 2He cried against the altar by the word of the LORD, and said, "O altar, altar, thus says the LORD, 'Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name; and on you he shall sacrifice the priests of the high places who burn incense on you, and human bones shall be burned on you.'"

Do you enjoy the bolded?
It Iking 13:1-2 not Exodus 32 bro. Yes God did gave the order for the cleansing of Israel. The old testament was the preparation for salvation of mankind, the Israelites were the chosen nation so there is a need for cleansing. Answer this quesion bro when you make a car and there happens to be dirts on it will you clean them away or leave it? I did enjoy the bolded thanks for giving bible passage to read
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by deparagon(m): 6:36pm On Aug 13, 2016
Medicis:
We all know u are stylishly talking about Islam, but you are so afraid that u cannot mention Islam or Allah in your writeup because u know what these people can do to you.
Seun is a muslim aren't u aware?
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by deparagon(m): 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2016
crusadistic:

Trash! what reprisal attacks sad you mean genocide and mass rape....you must be sick then trying to justify that for whatsoever reason.All the so-called terrorist attacks by some unknown people still won't equal the millions killed over the centuries under your very own church authority.
kindly mention any single soul that was murdered by Muhammad(SAW).
[s]
crusadistic:

Trash! what reprisal attacks sad you mean genocide and mass rape....you must be sick then trying to justify that for whatsoever reason.All the so-called terrorist attacks by some unknown people still won't equal the millions killed over the centuries under your very own church authority.
[/s]
crusadistic:

Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2016
deparagon:
Seun is a muslim aren't u aware?

Seun is not a Muslim and has never been one.
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by deparagon(m): 7:42am On Aug 14, 2016
Contact17:

Seun is not a Muslim and has never been one.

if u say dat u r lying
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 14, 2016
Re: How Moderate Religion Helps Terrorist Groups by hrykanu231(m): 9:15am On Sep 17, 2016
[quote author=Medicis post=48215800]We all know u are stylishly talking about Islam, but you are so afraid that u cannot mention Islam or Allah in your writeup because u know what these

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

11 Year Old Genius Out To Prove Hawking Wrong After His Death: "God Does Exist" / Dealing With Pride As A Christian. / How Do You Feel When You Haven't Yet Prayed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.