Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. (20717 Views)

Attend To Hunger In The Country And Leave Me Alone - Fayose To Buhari / Rejoinder;tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots / To The Religious Bigots: Read What Prof. Sola Adeyeye Has To Say. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by tsdarkside(m): 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2016
RZArecta:
your country is in a recession, manufacturers and importers don't have access to[b] forex[/b] and you're here talking nonsense

thunda fir forex!!...

you just dont want to get it...this global village-nonesense will give you a bloody nose.....
Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by tsdarkside(m): 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2016
RZArecta:
your country is in a recession, manufacturers and importers don't have access to forex and you're here talking nonsense

thunda fire forex!!...

you just dont want to get it...this global village-nonesense will give you a bloody nose.....
Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Handsomecole(m): 6:55pm On Aug 05, 2016
At OP despite all the facts you presented I see as driving at one point that what is good for the geese is also good for the gander. But the major point is simple. Government should hands off anything religious when is comes to sponsorship. Religion is a personal thing.

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by RZArecta(m): 6:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
tsdarkside:

[s]thunda fire forex!!...

you just dont want to get it...this global village-nonesense will give you a bloody nose..[/s]...

1 Like

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by x12345678x: 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
I'd skip the pleasantries and get right to the point of this.

Nigeria is indeed a country of boundless absurdities, most of which were "invented" and found their way to the fore just after the exit of PDP which "ruled" the country for sixteen years uninterrupted.

The oddity in the attitude of the average political commentator we see today, especially from those who pitched their tent with PDP in the last election, stem more from the fact they are predominantly Christians and can't seem to stomach the thought of being led by a Muslim.

Their party leadership spared no expense in sowing the seed of religious intolerance in the hearts of Nigerians, through their dogged sponsorship of inflammable propaganda, the fruits of which we are reaping today in no small measure.

Yesterday, it was reported the Central Bank will be subsidising the dollar for intending Hajj pilgrims, and as expected, mixed, mostly negative, reactions have trailed the announcement and as expected, those people who've sworn to ensure the president is seen by all as a religious bigot have seized the opportunity to spread their propaganda throughout print and electronic media.

Time and again, we have seen that no sooner do they launch the attacks than history comes to the rescue of Mr President.

One could fault the President on a whole lot of fronts, why not. He's a mare mortal and as such must have his own imperfections. But one thing you certainly can't call the president is "religious bigot".

Here are but a few events in the past that shed light on exactly who the religious bigot is between mr President and his accusers:

1. FG Earmarks $11million for Christian pilgrims.

This was done less than a year ago. An interesting part is that the maximum amount entitled to each pilgrim is the same as what we have today- $1000 and at a lower rate of N160/dollar since the naira had more value then as opposed of N197/dollar today!!

The economy wasn't really faring any better then.

Pray tell, where were the voices of these later day activists/economists when this happened??!!

2. Buhari Cancels Govt Delegation to Hajj

Again, to show his "extreme love for Muslims and his disdain for Christians", mr President shelved plans to send a FG delegation to Hajj 2015. We didn't see "Christians" take over cyberspace to "condemn" this extreme demonstration of bigotry by the president.

Today, he's done for Muslims what he did for Christians and social media has literally been set on fire!!

3. FG Approves 65% Tax Waiver For Christian Pilgrims.

This was done earlier this year under this grim economic atmosphere, yet we never heard as much as a whistle from nobody!!

These and many more instances where the FG under President M. Buhari intervened to make things a lot easier for Christian pilgrims never became major talking points- but as soon as anything is done by the president that seem to favour Muslims, who are no less citizens of this country than Christians, it becomes a huge problem- no thanks to religious bigots who think themselves Christians!

I have been going to church since I was 3 and been listening to pastors, reverend, bishops, etc, preach the word- never a day have I heard any of them extol hate or bigotry as a virtue! Nowhere in the Bible have I read such (not that I always read the bible anyway).

Where then did these Nigerian "christians" propagating this brand of "christianity" where Muslims MUST be hated get their doctrine- PDP constitution??

Myself and many other well meaning Nigerians have been advocating that government completely hands of sponsorship of pilgrimage. Man's relationship with God is their private business and must be treated as such. If one chooses to visit Mecca or Jerusalem or the Bohemian Groove or Okija Shrine to commune with their God, let them sort their expenses out themselves!! If they can't bear the cost, they should sit asses at home and pray- God is omnipresent and can hear them from wherever whenever.

PDP "apologised" for their toxic brand of politics the other day- it would do Nigeria a whole lot of good if the party called her members and supporters to order as that "apology" appears not to have registered on their minds. Heating up the polity with religion does no one no good, certainly not a party that seeks to return to the center in 3years time.

Had the constituent units of the current governing party conducted themselves in this manner when they were the major opposition parties, imagine what the country would have looked like today.

When you set the entire country ablaze, when then would be left to rule over afterwards, her ashes??

Let a word be enough for the wise.

Thank you.
I dont understand where ur headed wiv this. I wake up, reach for ma fone n therz dis news bout CBN -hajj brouhaha, as a sensible person am instantly disgusted dat they could do that to all d SMEs, traders, parents who'v got kids in foreign skuls n all. Then after a few hours I come here n meet ur article and am obviously taken aback. Ur so fucking political abt the issue. I don't care if it's muzies or xristians....govt shouldn't have anyfyn to do wiv stuff like dat!. This is d stand of any wise Human being (including u). So please if u wanna talk bout policies n wether dey'r ryt or wrong den let's do it, buh if eryfyn's PDP n APC to u...then am sorry bruv buh u lost ma respect. Thank you mate.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by sleekAfonja: 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
The question intelligent minds are asking is that in the mist of chronic economic recession,is this justifiable be it Christians or Muslims?

5 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by tsdarkside(m): 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
Handsomecole:
At OP despite all the facts you presented I see as driving at one point that what is good for the geese is also good for the gander. But the major point is simple. Government should hands off anything religious when is comes to sponsorship. Religion is a personal thing.

you are right..religion is dangerous..........sleep-walkers....extremly dangerous....

i wouldnt try to make moooneeeƩy from religion.....tooooooo dangerous...fanatics....wheather christians or moslems,animalists,atheist,whatever.....

too dangerous....fanatics...never good for bussiness,,,,
Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by sleekAfonja: 7:01pm On Aug 05, 2016
Handsomecole:
The mofo thought this is about PDP vs Apc or Christians vs Muslims!

No where in civilised societies is pilgrimage subsidised in the mist of economic recession.Nigeria is just a joke! a bigger joke is the mofo op.

7 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by maclatunji: 7:03pm On Aug 05, 2016
Apart from your post addressing the purveyors of hate, Seun has to ensure there is quality control and only factual and accurate posts make front page.

He should not continue to hide under the 'Nairalanders are solely responsible for what they post on Nairaland' to allow wanton recklessness that reminds me of pre-genocide Rwanda.

I am frankly appalled that OP had to appeal for this post to make front page.

3 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by arafhan: 7:04pm On Aug 05, 2016
Thanks....hope this help some ignorant to rethink.

1 Like

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by paulchucks: 7:06pm On Aug 05, 2016
pls op this is economically bad why did el rufai refuse to sponsor pilgrims is not because the economy is bad you people should not bring sentiments into this what why are saying is both christian and muslim should source their forex to lift the burden on the economy about to deep into reccession

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by texazzpete(m): 7:08pm On Aug 05, 2016
The OP is just plain silly.

First of all, the economy today is in a FAR worse state than it was in last year, and a subsidy from 197 to 160 is way less than subsidizing from 338 to 197.

More importantly, justifying a wrong act by claiming "this was done for Christians too" is just daft. Many of us who are criticizing this are doing so because this is an unacceptable waste of taxpayer funds on what should be a personal pilgrimage. Many of us have condemned Govt sponsorship of religious pilgrimages in the past.

I suggest the OP learns to pay tax so he can muster the same indignation many of us feel when our leaders waste our money so recklessly, instead of moronically trying to discuss this with a lens of religious bias.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by arafhan: 7:10pm On Aug 05, 2016
Mehn some people never understand.
idupaul:

Don't turn this issue into a sectarian one ..where did anyone mention Islam.
All we are saying is that the govt has once more proven that it only make poor economic decision by going on to subsidizing forex for a religious excursion . As usual you pay per post agent are bent on turning the narrative into a sectarian one.

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by maclatunji: 7:10pm On Aug 05, 2016
paulchucks:
pls op this is economically bad why did el rufai refuse to sponsor pilgrims is not because the economy is bad you people should not bring sentiments into this what why are saying is both christian and muslim should source their forex to lift the burden on the economy about to deep into reccession

OP is not saying it makes economic sense to spend government money om pilgrimage, he Is addressing the hateful people that tried to make it look like the president was using national resources to favour Muslims to the detriment of Christians and push their parochial agenda.

Of course, you know this.

3 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Oildichotomy(m): 7:17pm On Aug 05, 2016
[size=15pt]Extreme Foolishness is when you brandish wack analogies to buttress your hypocritic oath to the Dullard, trying to justify his every front and emotional about insults dished out to him but your signature is Fucck the ineffectual buffoon.

Who are you deceiving? Probably your DNA
[/size]

5 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by x12345678x: 7:17pm On Aug 05, 2016
modath:

He is just trolling... I don waka pass!!

@ idupaul ,

Name calling are we? Did you object when christians got concession? And yes, the angst & uproar is cos it's Buhari and hajj not because it's misplacement of priorities. ... no one is in any doubt.... we all know ourselves in this country..
Fucking unbelievable!! Dear madam ur telling me dat every Nigerian would have turned d other way if this was say...'CBN giving concessions to....hmm.....lemme think of some weird group*....haha I got one..."Juju worshipers". Dat maybe Nigerians would go " oh luk how nice our president is, he b allowing concessions to those nice..nice Juju worshipers....thank gudness it ain't those bloody peeps up north....by the way who cares bout all those SMEs, Foreign Students and all duh....sai baba jor". This is wah I fink policies should b tackled by D masses on dia merits n demerits cuz finally we r d ones who get to suffer or enjoy. Am sick of ppl ( on this occasion u) who never see beyond PDP n APC (and no I ain't a member of any of those thieving parties).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Topmostt: 7:20pm On Aug 05, 2016
Owing to the economic realities of the time, this decision by the federal government is a very wrong one. Trying to cite instances where this has been done and why what is good for the geese is good for the gander is just not okay. This is not about defending Buhari or whatever. He got it absolutely wrong this time.

3 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by CSTR12: 7:22pm On Aug 05, 2016
Just Look at madness. Who cares if the president did not do it for religious reasons, which is even more sad because it shows the president is not only a religious bigot but an economic dunce.
The country is in bleeding recession with the lowest performing currency in backward africa ,and one yoruba nitwit who is probably broke as hell is postulating partisan nonsense to deflect attention into irrelevancies and curry misguided emotion for his daft president.
Any body with a brain should Find a way to leave that sinking country. It is unfortunate that american visa lottery has stopped.
My Igbo people should find a way to leave that shitthole and migrate legally to western Europe and create a future for their unborn generations. That country is in a state of irreversible ruin and has no future whatsoever.

3 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by graphiti: 7:22pm On Aug 05, 2016
seunmsg:
You are very on point OP, but I don't think the ongoing criticism is from "Christians who can't seem to stomach the thought of being led by a Muslim". The criticism is political and it is coming from the usual section of the country who have always criticised every decision of the PMB administration. That is why we call them wailers because they will wail about everything till 2019.

PMB approved similar gesture for christians going on pilgrimage and I don't see why muslims going on similar pilgrimage should not enjoy the same benefit. Wailers will always wail, by tomorrow, they will move on to another wailing topic.
Yo!

U just saved me d stress of composing.........

Merci beacoup!

This whole issh has got absolutely noffin 2 do wif religion - neither in d north nor south, esp in d south, it's all politically engineered gbege!

The other day, d former NSA (Aziza) who was a member of d 'inner chamber' told us that BH- d pseudo-Islamic movement, was PDP inspired.
**koffs** We all knew what happened 2 him afterwards!

And when I talk about d south, we all know dt d antagonists within them are still pained by d loss of their cousin in d last presidential election, though d 'bereaved' has since moved on.

Moreover, certain parts of d south will never touch d corpse of pmb with a long cane for his 'anti-corruption' stance. Seunmsg, when u mention 'Mohammed Buhari' what comes to mind?

Yep, u are right: ANTI_CORRUPTION and some pipo who can't eck a living outside criminal activities feel threatened, and as Light and darkness have no meeting point, they'll never c any good in pmb!

Let's take our mind back to June 12, 1993, the Muslim-muslim presidential ticket of MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe sailed through in ds same south, so what are we now saying.

In the south, religion has never been a major factor in elections. Most times when d issue of religion comes up in d south, u know there's an underlying reason using religion as smokescreen.

@ progressive01, nice write up..........., but d political brouhaha - esp in d south ain't religions induced, it's a blend of ethnic bigotry garnished with "war against anti-corruption"

Thanks

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by obailala(m): 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2016
RZArecta:
your country is in a recession, manufacturers and importers don't have access to forex and you're here talking nonsense
If you think he wrote nonsense, then you obviously did not read the write-up till the end, very typical!

3 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by tuniski: 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
We need to get the facts right and set the records straight lest lost genuinely ignorant people are mislead by PDP's divisive propaganda.

Still waiting on you Lalasticlala.
You have been brainwashed to simply classify citizens discern as pdp's support.

The op is just laboring to rationalize what is very wrong with our nation. Whether it is done since 1914 and done for xtians n moslems, it was wrong then and even more wrong now.
Govt has no biz with funding pilgrimage. More so nigerians are not all xtians n moslems. Leave religion for religious people. They already don't tax religious houses which is the biggest enterprise in nigeria today and now giving members subsidy via Fx.

Subsidizing pilgrimage is ungodly! Little wonder we are very religious and deeply ungodly!

4 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by CSTR12: 7:33pm On Aug 05, 2016
obailala:
If you think he wrote nonsense, then you obviously did not read the write-up till the end, very typical!
That you are hell bent on defending a mad president shows the mental state of people in that zoo. angry
Nobody cares why he did it. People are suffering.
It is as ridiculous as an hypothetical scenario where obama withdraws US fleets from the pacific and Democrats defending it with "' he did not do it for religious reasons and Republicans hate Obama"' BS.
That is a sickening excuse common to third world shittholes.

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by lisimmo(m): 7:41pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
If you ask me I'd rather the government indefinitely suspends sponsorship of these religious expeditions. Pilgrimage doesn't make any country better, neither does it make one a better Christian or Muslim.

I support you 100%

1 Like

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by jamace(m): 7:42pm On Aug 05, 2016
Looters of Nigeria treasury are mainly Alhajis and Jerusalem Pilgrims.

Considering the harm these being tos have done to this country, why should Nigerian govt still favour such unprofitable ventures?

Its like Nigerian govt likes training crooks! What a tragedy! undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, I plead that this be taken to the fp for the purpose of fairness.

Thanks.

Cc: Modath, Beremx, Egift, Midolian, Seunmsg...

You have a mis informing thread.The motive of the presidency is clear you can choose to rap it with butter,mayonaisse,honey,cream,ketchup,sauce,add some bacon and spiced meat to it and seasoning make sure to ail some soft oils with sweet aroma. Even under all of these tapestry the intent of the govenment is clear in this instance unlike how you're making it look academical and sensible.The reverse is the case.

Could people stop trying to say what the president is trying to do is ? Why does this president keep enjoying backers explaining his deed as though he's an slowpoke ?

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Chrisx1x(m): 7:47pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
If you understood the post well, you'd see I didn't at any point support the action- as a matter of time, let me state it for the umpteenth time- I am totally against government sponsorship of pilgrimages whether in recession or when the economy is booming!

What I've got problem is where these people making so much noise were when those evidences I presented happened. Are they against the sponsorship simply because it involves muslims or because they care so much about the economy?? Remember, these are the same people that support NDA's dream of "grounding" our economy!! Where, you might ask, did they suddenly find their "patriotism"??

Would their submissions have been the same had this involved Christian pilgrims??

That is the problem here.
if you take a closer look at your post,u would notice that buhari funded the christian's pilgrimage last year-at that time the economy was better off than it is now.this isn't the first time pilgrimage have been funded and it won't be the last.Nigerians are just bitter that at this critical time when our economy is broke we shouldn't be spending money on things that won't yield any returns.pilgrimage is for those who can afford it .

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Sheggy13(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2016
idupaul:

Why are you you guys making it a sectarian issue ..did I mention anything about religion ..The naira has been on a steady decline and the economy is in a very bad state so tell me is this the time to subsidize some religious excursion?
While we all agree that government subsidizing religious excursions have no economic importance, If you didn't make as much noise as you're making about it now some months ago when the same gesture was handed out for Christian pilgrimage when the economy wasn't doing any better also, then you're simply hypocritical. Mind you, I'm a Christian myself and will always be.

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by abdusma8(m): 7:52pm On Aug 05, 2016
And is it every nigerian that is interested in sports?
iamblisz:
@progressive01 its good to see that you supported your argument with facts but I still don't think Mr president did the right thing,.

Nigerian economy is already in recession spending such money on pilgrims( christians and muslims)will not help it but rather worsen it

A lot of businesses have closed down because of scarcity and increase in dollar, making this dollars available at this rate given to this pilgrims will do a lot of good to this businesses

Resently the Nigeria Olympics team are complaining of lack of govt support , am not saying giving them money will improve the economy but it would have made more sense than giving it to pilgrims cause I believe pilgrimage expenses should fully come from those who are interested in embarking in it.
Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Standing5(m): 7:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, I plead that this be taken to the fp for the purpose of fairness.

Thanks.

Cc: Modath, Beremx, Egift, Midolian, Seunmsg...
You are making no sense man. Your point revolves round muslims' interest while that of those you forcibly term 'Christians' is economic. I suggest this pattern of spending be stopped for life, it is wasteful at best.

2 Likes

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 05, 2016
fulanmafia:
Well outlined truism.

The fact is that Jonathanians have still not gotten over their hero's defeat and are acting like bulls in a China shop in the name of being in opposition.

The vile hypocrisy that has become the hallmark of their politicking only underlines their desperation to demonize the President even if it means appearing like extremist bigots with the memory capacity of a tse-tse fly.

You cannot squeeze oil out of a block of ice. It's not surprising that PDP's band of minions have become shameless intolerant religious bigots considering the history of the party. This was the same party that said Osibanjo owned 5000 churches while campaigning in the North so northerners wouldn't vote for the APC, while also calling the same party an Islamic party while campaigning in the South. Religious bigotry and borderline extremism is in their DNA.

I'm also not in support of state sponsored pilgrimages for similar reasons, and the culture it has become should be stopped, especially considering the paucity of funds that Nigeria suffers, however with that said, the furore that has been generated by bigoted wailers smacks of sheer hypocrisy and should be ignored in the understanding that they are going through a very difficult and painful period, climaxed by their defeated hero's recent instruction that they should embrace Sherriff the boko sponsor as their Chairman.

Wailers need hugs right now, not smacks.
never knew poikilothermic creatures could write

1 Like

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
I'd skip the pleasantries and get right to the point of this.

Nigeria is indeed a country of boundless absurdities, most of which were "invented" and found their way to the fore just after the exit of PDP which "ruled" the country for sixteen years uninterrupted.

The oddity in the attitude of the average political commentator we see today, especially from those who pitched their tent with PDP in the last election, stem more from the fact they are predominantly Christians and can't seem to stomach the thought of being led by a Muslim.

Their party leadership spared no expense in sowing the seed of religious intolerance in the hearts of Nigerians, through their dogged sponsorship of inflammable propaganda, the fruits of which we are reaping today in no small measure.

Yesterday, it was reported the Central Bank will be subsidising the dollar for intending Hajj pilgrims, and as expected, mixed, mostly negative, reactions have trailed the announcement and as expected, those people who've sworn to ensure the president is seen by all as a religious bigot have seized the opportunity to spread their propaganda throughout print and electronic media.

Time and again, we have seen that no sooner do they launch the attacks than history comes to the rescue of Mr President.

One could fault the President on a whole lot of fronts, why not. He's a mare mortal and as such must have his own imperfections. But one thing you certainly can't call the president is "religious bigot".

Here are but a few events in the past that shed light on exactly who the religious bigot is between mr President and his accusers:

1. FG Earmarks $11million for Christian pilgrims.

This was done less than a year ago. An interesting part is that the maximum amount entitled to each pilgrim is the same as what we have today- $1000 and at a lower rate of N160/dollar since the naira had more value then as opposed of N197/dollar today!!

The economy wasn't really faring any better then.

Pray tell, where were the voices of these later day activists/economists when this happened??!!

2. Buhari Cancels Govt Delegation to Hajj

Again, to show his "extreme love for Muslims and his disdain for Christians", mr President shelved plans to send a FG delegation to Hajj 2015. We didn't see "Christians" take over cyberspace to "condemn" this extreme demonstration of bigotry by the president.

Today, he's done for Muslims what he did for Christians and social media has literally been set on fire!!

3. FG Approves 65% Tax Waiver For Christian Pilgrims.

This was done earlier this year under this grim economic atmosphere, yet we never heard as much as a whistle from nobody!!

These and many more instances where the FG under President M. Buhari intervened to make things a lot easier for Christian pilgrims never became major talking points- but as soon as anything is done by the president that seem to favour Muslims, who are no less citizens of this country than Christians, it becomes a huge problem- no thanks to religious bigots who think themselves Christians!

I have been going to church since I was 3 and been listening to pastors, reverend, bishops, etc, preach the word- never a day have I heard any of them extol hate or bigotry as a virtue! Nowhere in the Bible have I read such (not that I always read the bible anyway).

Where then did these Nigerian "christians" propagating this brand of "christianity" where Muslims MUST be hated get their doctrine- PDP constitution??

Myself and many other well meaning Nigerians have been advocating that government completely hands of sponsorship of pilgrimage. Man's relationship with God is their private business and must be treated as such. If one chooses to visit Mecca or Jerusalem or the Bohemian Groove or Okija Shrine to commune with their God, let them sort their expenses out themselves!! If they can't bear the cost, they should sit asses at home and pray- God is omnipresent and can hear them from wherever whenever.

PDP "apologised" for their toxic brand of politics the other day- it would do Nigeria a whole lot of good if the party called her members and supporters to order as that "apology" appears not to have registered on their minds. Heating up the polity with religion does no one no good, certainly not a party that seeks to return to the center in 3years time.

Had the constituent units of the current governing party conducted themselves in this manner when they were the major opposition parties, imagine what the country would have looked like today.

When you set the entire country ablaze, when then would be left to rule over afterwards, her ashes??

Let a word be enough for the wise.

Thank you.

You call yourself a progressive going by your handle but the irony is lost on you.

The point is not about Muslim favoritism or whether Christians are similarly favored for pilgrimages. the point is at this critical time in our economy, where businesses are struggling due to high forex rates, whee companies are laying off workers, where we talk of diversifying the economy, is it pilgrimages that we should be discounting?

The president once said anyone who wants to send his child abroad should go and get his forex in the black market and I agree wholeheartedly with him. Education, which is an investment in the human capital of the country is not discounted, so why discount pilgrimages (either christian or muslim) which offer abcolutely no benefit to the country be discounted? Is this our pririty as a country? it shows why Nigeria has the same problems Fela sang about 40 years ago and why they will still be with us in 40 years.

Lets put this in context: The discount as a result of this double discount is about $25 million dollars, that is how much the country just gave away. The same country that could not make adequate financial arrangement to it's olympians traveling to represent it at an international sporting event to the extent we became the subject of International ridicule.

You dont discount forex for education, raw materials, factories, activities that will create jobs back home but you discount forex so some people can go and pray in another mans country and help develop the host countries economies (through hotels and restaurants, transport etc) while yours suffers....what a mindset, what a country!

This is not just a discount i.e official v black market, this is a discount on the official rate. Factories cannot get official rate, yet you are giving pilgrims discount on the official rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN-Hajj Brouhaha: Tale Of A Country And Her Religious Bigots. by dyn1800: 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2016
Do you understands the point the young man is making here at all?..... Please read very well before castigating a thorough analysis of what Nigeria problems really is

tsdarkside:

you dont think progressiv.....

how many people do hajj??...do you know??...

cbn knows the numbers.....

cbn is the central bank of nigeria...remember??..

do you realy believe a central bank will give up just like that??....keep your black-market-bank...

cbn doesnt give a shi shi.......you will learn the hard way when 1 dollar=900 nairas.....

free market my left foot.....

the goverment is trying to help every nigerian in the world and you are cursing them the ol time out...

tahhhhh.....

egoistic imbeciles....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Approves Borrowing From World Bank, China / Rabiu Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike Over Death Of Emmanuel Aguma (Photos) / How EKEDC Is Endangering Lives Of People At Onikan - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.