Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

This Is What Poor People In America Eat - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / This Is What Poor People In America Eat (1881 Views)

These Nigerian Foods Are Hot Cakes In America / This Nigerian Chef Is Making Waves In America / Where Can One Buy Nigerian Groundnut Online In America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is What Poor People In America Eat by BizLifeE: 2:29am On Aug 06, 2016
What do poor people in America eat?

A few things that I have done over the years:

A fridge and stove (or microwave) are available to me

1 box of just-add-water pancake mix, margarine and syrup. It will feed an adult for two weeks (yes, eating nothing but pancakes for 2 weeks)

Ramon noodles by the case. It makes a good base for soup, stew or whatever I can make-up with other things I can manage to get my hands on. Of course, if nothing else is available, it can be eaten alone.

Potatoes and margarine. A 5 lb bag will feed an adult for about 2 weeks (yes, eating nothing but potatoes for 2 weeks). Cooking a potato in the microwave is really fast and easy. If I can afford sour cream, cheese and frozen vegetables, then loaded potatoes take the edge off the monotony. If I'm working, one potato makes an easy (and filling) lunch.

Macaroni and cheese. If I can afford milk and margarine, I will use both. If I can only afford one, then I just add a little more of whatever I have. I'm not a big fan of mac and cheese, but you can get them for .25 cents a box at places like Aldis or on sale at a standard grocery store.

No access to a fridge and stove (or microwave)

Raviolis or spaghettios and a can opener. Knock-off brands of these two kinds of canned food can be purchased for .50 cents (or less) at places like Aldis (or on sale at a grocery store). Use the can opener to open the can and a spoon to eat (no heating necessary).

Pop-tarts. They are one of the cheapest things available in a convenience store, which is important in food-deserts.

Fig Newtons. There were times when I bought these because they were filling and I was under the (mistaken) belief that they were healthier than pop tarts.

Instant potatoes. Just find a cup and add hot water. It sticks with you for a while, which is nice. Real potatoes stick with you longer, but instant will work.

McDonalds - the dollar menu is a wonderful thing.

All the time

Gatorade. Having experience a bad case of dehydration (in all of it's wretched glory), I can tell you (for a fact) that this is something that is best avoided when trying to survive poverty. I mix 1/3 Gatorade to 2/3 water and drink it throughout the hot, dry and/or windy days that I spend outdoors.

Fresh fruit. I would buy as much as possible (in quantity), whenever possible, and eat it right away. This is more about health than finances, but it was a key aspect to my diet search. Once I bought a bag of super-discounted oranges and happily congratulated myself on the deal until I ate one - they were grapefruit. Erg. I ate them anyway. Every last one. Anyhow, bananas are super SUPER cheap, apples last a good long time, and most fruit will go on super-sale when it begins to come close to the expiration date. I just got used to prowling through the produce section, looking for something affordable.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-do-poor-people-in-America-eat

Neteller here: www..com.ng

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What Poor People In America Eat by Olachase(m): 4:39am On Aug 06, 2016
Now let's take the issue to Nigeria my country
Re: This Is What Poor People In America Eat by Kowor(f): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2016
If it's not as easy as people say it is, i'll pass. With 5h i'll buy ugwu 100+pepper 50+ pomo 100 +10 onions, garri 50. My dear food is ready. Signed by the Nigerian student association presido.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Poor People In America Eat by prettyJoy22(f): 7:36am On Aug 07, 2016
survival

(1) (Reply)

Online Sales Of Cake Tools At Best Prices / I Need Me Some Chicken Wings And Fried Rice? / See Pepper I Just Bought For 900 Naira | I Shock No Be Small

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.