Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances (12562 Views)

Fayose Defeats EFCC As Court Says EFCC Lacks Power To Probe State Finances / EFCC To Seize Patience Jonathan’s Property Nationwide / Repatriation Of $550m Abacha Loot: U.S Court Clears Legal Hurdle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Singingbae(m): 10:10am On Aug 06, 2016
Justice Ntong Ntong of the Akwa Ibom State High Court, sitting in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa- Ibom State, on Friday vacated unction restraining the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission from investigating the accounts of Akwa Ibom State Government as well as some of the state’s past officials.
The court had on July 13 ruled in favour of an ex-parte motion filed before it by the Akwa Ibom State’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Uwemedimo Nwoko, seeking an order of interim injunction restraining the Federal Government or any of its agencies, including the EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), and the Inspector General of Police from arresting, from detaining or investigating any official of the state government, past or present, without any report of indictment by the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly.
An EFCC source said one of those being investigated is Godswill Akpabio, a former governor of the state, and minority leader of the Nigerian senate.
However, the EFCC, through a motion on notice, filed on August 2, 2016, approached the court to quash the injunction.
At the resumption of the matter on Friday, counsel to the EFCC, Ben Ubi, told the court of an application dated July 29, 2016 and filed on the August 2 asking the court to vacate the restraining order.
In response, the Attorney General of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Nwoko argued that his seven days to respond to the application by the EFCC had not elapsed. Besides, he said he had filed a motion on notice for the enlargement of the lifespan of the interim injunction.
The judge having listened to arguments on both sides vacated the interim order of injunction and then adjourned the matter to October 19 for hearing of the preliminary objection of the EFCC alongside other applications
The legal fireworks initiated by the Akwa ibom State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, against the EFCC and other agencies were sparked by a petition received by the EFCC against some governors and officials of the past regimes in Akwa Ibom State.
The vacation of the restraining order on the EFCC has now paved ways for the commission to continue its work in that regard, the Head of Media and Publicity for the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, said in a statement on Friday
“Also, the vacation of the order has also voided an earlier order restraining the Speaker of Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Clerk of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, the Auditor General of Akwa Ibom State and the Accountant General of Akwa Ibom State from surrendering themselves or any document or financial records to the EFCC, ICPC or any other person.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/south-south-regional/208155-akpabio-trouble-court-clears-efcc-investigate-akwa-ibom-govts-finances.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by DickDastardly(m): 10:12am On Aug 06, 2016
Very Good

7 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by pjamas(m): 10:13am On Aug 06, 2016
He is not in trouble yet. they will just disturb the media and at the end its a "story for the gods" #HorseShitPeople

11 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Singingbae(m): 10:14am On Aug 06, 2016
Ahhh
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 06, 2016
No impact....no changes.
Useless exercise, no result

4 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by doctokwus: 11:50am On Aug 06, 2016
Going to 2yrs to it's administration,not a single conviction,talkless of jail term.
Corruption fight indeed.
Akpabio like others wud just be arraigned and convicted in the media.
I advice Akpabio to decamp to the APC and have all his sins forgiven,probably even a cabinet post later.

25 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Anijay1212(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2016
J
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by GoodofNaija: 12:46pm On Aug 06, 2016
Good development. Probe them all.
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by BrainnewsNg(f): 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2016
pjamas:
He is not in trouble yet. they will just disturb the media and at the end its a "story for the gods" #HorseShitPeople

It is well

Vote wisely

Lalasticlala
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Justiyke4u: 3:26pm On Aug 06, 2016
Please op how is he in trouble abeg? I enjoyed the report anyway but didn't see where he was in trouble
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Zico5(m): 8:38am On Aug 07, 2016
This is good, it is time to investigate the corrupt practices under that flat head man. Politicians are the worst in this country, they are worse than arm robbers with sofisticated weapons. They raped our common resources and steal as if there is no tomorrow. Even if law refuses to jail them, their wicked acts will surely hunt them down.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by theadvocatus(m): 8:39am On Aug 07, 2016
This feels good.

Just like how we used to have #OpenDay in high school..

AKS, Open your Account books... Una body go tell una today if ur notebook no dey up-to-date.

don't just do justice but also, let it be seen to have been done!

#Okuwobi

4 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Flyingngel(m): 8:41am On Aug 07, 2016
If Akpabio is investigated, i can bet my left yansh that d kind of monumental corruption that will b uncovered will shock even Dasuki. I urge EFCC to not only investigate PDP Governors but rather it shld b across all political parties. Because sometimes when i look at d debt profile of states like Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Kano, i am compel to ask what they did with all d bugos allocations when oil was ontop;that would have warrants this high debts that they r owing.

5 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by anytexy: 8:42am On Aug 07, 2016
Why not for once start with Rivers state or any other state ruled by APC. So, that it will not appear witch hunting. I tier for this government. Walahi!

4 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Thisis2raw(m): 8:43am On Aug 07, 2016
They have taken their witch hunt to akwa ibom. They should Goodluck with that

2 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Femich18(m): 8:45am On Aug 07, 2016
What are they investigating? Nah that one we go chop?
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by wiseone28: 8:47am On Aug 07, 2016
that's very good
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by kolaish(m): 8:49am On Aug 07, 2016
doctokwus:
Going to 2yrs to it's administration,not a single conviction,talkless of jail term.
Corruption fight indeed.
I advice Akpabio to decamp to the APC and have all his sins forgiven,probably even a cabinet post later.
U ARE RIGHT. THE MOMENT HE CROSSED TO APC, HE WILL BECOME A SAINT AND ALL HIS SINS WILL BE FORGIVEN.
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by sommy03(m): 8:51am On Aug 07, 2016
And the mugu at the helm of affairs in Akwa ibom state slashed corps members allowance... your thunder dey do press up for barracks..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Oblitz(m): 8:52am On Aug 07, 2016
power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

1 Like

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by toluA5F5: 8:58am On Aug 07, 2016
ok...I smell trouble grin

1 Like

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by malakus(m): 8:59am On Aug 07, 2016
ok
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by NairaMaster1(m): 9:05am On Aug 07, 2016
Meanwhile a high court judge was sacked for raising alarm over Osun state money. Please APC, opposition is a proof of progress, opposition is the strength of democracy everywhere. Stop destroying our constitution, stop destroying our hard earn democracy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by DabuIIIT: 9:06am On Aug 07, 2016
Much ado about nothing much ado about witch-hunting
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by tempest01(m): 9:07am On Aug 07, 2016
I support this wholeheartedly

Investigate all past governors

2 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by mmsen: 9:12am On Aug 07, 2016
I have no problem with states being made to open their books, all of them should as a matter of form.

My question is why a state like Rivers where money has clearly been squandered on nonsense has not been made to open its books?

Why Edo where money has been squandered has not been made to open its books?

Imo state is clean abi? I know people will say very different.

And of course the Northern states are all fine, that is why they are developing at such a fabulous rate, eradicating poverty and illiteracy in one fell swoop.

Oh wait, that isn't happening. So where's the money? What does Katsina do to generate income? How does it spend its allocation?

If Nigeria is going to have a real war against corruption you first need to conduct a credible census, then make all government officials open their personal accounts for inspection - anyone caught hiding assets should be deemed guilty.

3 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by moffat(m): 9:15am On Aug 07, 2016
good news also probe Lagos,ogun oyo,kastina,nasarawa,borno state infact probe all nigerians yeye bubu
Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by gbengaoa(m): 9:26am On Aug 07, 2016
This Hypocritical govt. why not investigate Osun, and Oyo states. Why has this so-called anti-corruption campaign focused on the Southern states that are not APC. why has no one has been investigated in the north? are they saints? I just dey look una.

1 Like

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by Ayoswit(f): 9:37am On Aug 07, 2016
a Daniel has come to judgement

1 Like

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by cr7lomo: 9:42am On Aug 07, 2016
I support this

But

I also support ameachi to b probed as well

1 Like

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by duni04(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2016
doctokwus:
Corruption fight indeed.
**** In 6months to may 2016, the EFCC secured 140 convictions and recovered 6 billion dollars. You should read more **** Heres a link to enlighten you and the others whose minds you've poisoned with your jargons. I'm sure you won't open it being the ignorant fellow you are.
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/204162-efcc-secured-140-convictions-recovered-billions-dollars-6-months-magu.html&ved=0ahUKEwiQ6ofJ867OAhUsAcAKHVzVDkUQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNF8CmI5RNXa7uymLOh2clI9Yk1ooA&sig2=Mptci_W_KRHsELveb2N-EQ

2 Likes

Re: Court Clears EFCC To Investigate Akwa-ibom Finances by arsenic33(m): 9:44am On Aug 07, 2016
sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fayose: I Don’t Criticise Fayemi So He Won’t Claim I Distracted Him To Perform / LASG Resumes Federal Government Conditional Cash Transfer To Beneficiaries / Process To Designate Anambra As NDDC Oil-Producing State Begins At Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.