Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,440 members, 7,781,287 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:49 AM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (70879 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:42am On Aug 08, 2016
Good Morning Lovely Family,

I come in peace and I wish to indulge your collective contribution to my search. There seems to be air of misconception filled with untrue ideologies on igbo custom of marriage and bride price--at least from the majority of non-igbos who wish to marry an igbo lady.

I do understand that igbos are of diverse customs, tribe and tradition, which stipulate different rules, requirements when it comes to issues of marrying a lady from such regions.

Several months ago, a particular thread hit front page which was created by blogger flirtykaren; I mean lailasblog.com. In that thread, an image of list of items that should be presented by the groom was captured. The reaction of readers to the said list or thread announced displeasure. Some could be heard saying that Igbos sell their daughters; others asked are they gold? Others said they will never marry an Igbo lady. It went on and on.

source: https://www.nairaland.com/3054077/2016-bride-price-umuahia-abia

The sad part about the above mentioned event in that thread is that over 100 blogs have copied same content, same image and thereby circulating what might not be true. I can tell you that that report might be doing more harm than good, beyond what we might imagine. How did I know, I did a google search for the keyword phrase :"Abia State Bride Price". What I saw was a circulation of flirtykaren's post. Some other guys might do a google search and will be greeted by same reportage, which could be detrimental to potential bride of igbo extract.

A certain section of the thread claimed that in their own custom, it is relatively cheap/ affordable to marry a from his/her own tribe. Another said that the list is lie and nothing like that exist in their place. This captured my reason for creating this thread. I would want us to give potential non igbo groom the right information. This could mean that flirtykaren, just like many bloggers in Nigeria, didn't do thorough research and investigation before reporting such thread.

Numerous threads have also been created on same topic which still caused uproar by non igbos while some still claim it is not expensive to marry from their region. Is that the case? Wouldn't be nice if you (those who claim it is not expensive) to educate us on how it is done with broken down procedures?

Are you from Imo State, Anambra State, Ebonyi State, Abia State, Enugu State? What part of these states are you from? Can you be kind and humble enough to educate us how traditional marriage is carried out in your tribe among this states? I want specifics according to how it is done village by village, clan by clan and not one that represent the entire Igbo tribe.

I decided to put this here because we have more married folks around here, as against the Culture section and since Nairaland is quickly indexed, this could serve as panacea or palliative in the future among blogs.

Please this is very important. Thank you for your time.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by UAE123(m): 6:57am On Aug 08, 2016
I seriously like your post @ OP and this is the type of topic i will want to follow because it will be educative and beneficial as well as informative.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Mrbigman1(m): 6:57am On Aug 08, 2016
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 08, 2016
Following.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by soberdrunk(m): 7:04am On Aug 08, 2016
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

CHEAPEST"?? @ 250k-270k? No wonder my aunties for Ibadan dey shout 4 my ear "dont fall in love with igbo gal yooo"!!! Lmao

166 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 7:17am On Aug 08, 2016
Mrbigman1:

Okay, thank you. May God bless you for taking your time to explain.

So let me ask: so let's say that the basic amount of money needed is around 300k? Then drinks, food and other things is left to you right? hmmm... not bad.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
EDIT... BLOOD OF ABAKU!... since 2016, na now this thread dey make front page... it goes to show that miracles can happen if we don't give up.. hit like if you believe.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 7:24am On Aug 08, 2016
soberdrunk:

CHEAPEST"?? @ 250k-270k? No wonder my aunties for Ibadan dey shout 4 my ear "dont fall in love with igbo gal yooo"!!! Lmao
Bro, he meant that items needed is around that amount. Anything after that is left to you and you can then choose to spend just 300k in addition to that one. In essence, with 600k, you have a traditional marriage. White wedding should be a lot cheaper.

Besides, people buy land, laptops, clothes for more than 250k, so why should spending such an amount be seen as too expensive.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 7:31am On Aug 08, 2016
UAE123:
I seriously like your post @ OP and this is the type of topic i will want to follow because it will be educative and beneficial as well as informative.
Truly it is!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Mrbigman1(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2016
motherfucker:
Okay, thank you. May God bless you for taking your time to explain.

So let me ask: so let's say that the basic amount of money needed is around 300k? Then drinks, food and other things is left to you right? hmmm... not bad.

Yes. Dis still depends on d brides family, cos a friend of mine who got married from oraukwu, d bride's dad is wealthy so I asked to take care of all entertainment and the guy spent about just 300k, bride price, d man told him to bring 30k, the man collected and took 1k outta it and returned 29k.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Mrbigman1(m): 7:46am On Aug 08, 2016
soberdrunk:

Oga, bride price is about 10-30k depending on family, den, u'd buy drinks for d family, salt, goat, bar soaps, palm wine, and gbogbo ti gbo.

Most times, if d guy lives far from home, u just calculate d whole shit and send dem d money which is about 250-270k, if u tell dem u dnt want party, no body go arrest u, u wanna call party of 200k or 200 million, dat one is not inside marriage, dats celebration.

25 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 7:53am On Aug 08, 2016
Mrbigman1:

Yes. Dis still depends on d brides family, cos a friend of mine who got married from oraukwu, d bride's dad is wealthy so I asked to take care of all entertainment and the guy spent about just 300k, bride price, d man told him to bring 30k, the man collected and took 1k outta it and returned 29k.
Thank you for your input. Let's hear from others.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by ifyalways(f): 8:15am On Aug 08, 2016
The bride price in my place is divided into 2 categories :

36 naira if the brides highest educational qualification at the time of marriage is School cert or lower.

54 naira if its anything above School Cert.

Any other efizi is at the bride/grooms family discretion . Onicha ado,Anambra state.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by blank(f): 8:37am On Aug 08, 2016
From my part of Anambra, close to Uga, bride price is N60 only.

You will also bring the goat for the umunna.

Whatever amount the groom brings for the party is what will be used to celebrate the wedding. If you bring 50k for food and drinks, na 50k food and drinks go be there. However, the bride's family can decide to support.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 9:01am On Aug 08, 2016
ifyalways:
The bride price in my place is divided into 2 categories :

36 naira if the brides highest educational qualification at the time of marriage is School cert or lower.

54 naira if its anything above School Cert.

Any other efizi is at the bride/grooms family discretion . Onicha ado,Anambra state.
Thank you so much. God bless you for your time. I am highly appreciative. what about cost of cola, palmwine and stuffs like that? How much would that cost the groom?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 9:14am On Aug 08, 2016
Mrbigman1:

Hold, you mean he spent 300k for everything, as in bride price + list of items+ celebration (food, drinks, etc)?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by ITSAWRAPoutfitz: 10:56am On Aug 08, 2016
following
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Mrbigman1(m): 11:24am On Aug 08, 2016
motherfucker:
Hold, you mean he spent 300k for everything, as in bride price + list of items+ celebration (food, drinks, etc)?

D girls family too care of entertainment so d 300k is for list

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Mrbigman1(m): 11:28am On Aug 08, 2016
blank:
From my part of Anambra, close to Uga, bride price is N60 only.

You will also bring the goat for the umunna.

Whatever amount the groom brings for the party is what will be used to celebrate the wedding. If you bring 50k for food and drinks, na 50k food and drinks go be there. However, the bride's family can decide to support.

Wia close to uga ?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by jashar(f): 11:30am On Aug 08, 2016
Did someone just call 250k-270k cheap?

kaiii...........

I like that kind of levels. cheesy

Wilson, my own is not that expensive na...... come and marry me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by TheArchangel(f): 11:48am On Aug 08, 2016
They collected 2000 naira on top my head after a thorough painstaking bargaining of my net worth. I was later old how expensive I was according to them compared to the 500 naira and 1000 naira ladies they were marrying around my hood.

The celebration was tagged at around 100k, its been long though.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 12:52pm On Aug 08, 2016
Mrbigman1:

D girls family too care of entertainment so d 300k is for list
oh... wow!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 1:00pm On Aug 08, 2016
TheArchangel:
Idemili here.
They collected 2000 naira on top my head after a thorough painstaking bargaining of my net worth. I was later old how expensive I was according to them compared to the 500 naira and 1000 naira ladies they were marrying around my hood.

The celebration was tagged at around 100k, its been long though.
oh wow. This put a smile on my face. Please which state is Idemili in?

I am sure many people, non igbos, especially the yorubas will have some smiles on their face.

God bless all the people commenting.

We need more comments to put this to front page in order to counter the damage done flirtykaren's post. You have no idea until you have done a google search. But Nairaland is head above others and therefore it could serve as a reference point with better perspective, information and eductation.

I need someone from Abia state oooo. Please speak up if you are from Abia state.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 1:02pm On Aug 08, 2016
jashar:
Did someone just call 250k-270k cheap?

kaiii...........

I like that kind of levels. cheesy

Wilson, my own is not that expensive na...... come and marry me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
lol. But honestly, that isn't a lot of money now.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2016
lalasticlala, please can you help us here? I need more views. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 4:57pm On Aug 08, 2016
Sir RoyalRoy, please can you help put this on front page? cry
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by 2sexynet: 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
Wow smiley great thread. Spread mat.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by blaise26abj(m): 12:48am On Aug 09, 2016
motherfucker:
lalasticlala, please can you help us here? I need more views. Thank you.
please I'm interested in that of abia state too. Abeg tag me when u get a response

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 4:48am On Aug 09, 2016
blaise26abj:
please I'm interested in that of abia state too. Abeg tag me when u get a response
no problem bro.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 09, 2016
OP kudos for your quick thinking

I also think you should modify your post to allow other non ibo tribes post as well. While the mis-conceptions about ibo bride brides might be ubiquitous and grossly exaggerated, methinks opening it up will allow for matured comparisms which could possibly provide an argument against the widely held beliefs of high bride prices in ibo land

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 09, 2016
My brother married from imo statea year ago. The entire amount spent for the traditional marriage was around N500,000

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 09, 2016

Double post

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 10:40am On Aug 09, 2016
blaise26abj:
I just hope some others will comment. This thread needs more exposure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Ooni’s New Wife, Silekunola, Enters The Palace With Grace, Elegance / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Fun Iwosan, Itusile Ati Aseyori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.