Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women (8050 Views)

Should The Hebrew Midwives Be Commended For Lying? / Klintoncod, Maraji, Ebabykobby, Josh2funny Comedians Dress Like The Opposite Sex / Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by ify23ng: 10:28am On Aug 08, 2016
Dear Bible scholars, please I have been having issues understanding this word, "you will give birth like a Hebrew woman", does it mean that all the women in that place gives birth safely or what, please I need to understand why people keep using that word. Your contribution will help me a lot thanks.
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by youngest85(m): 10:37am On Aug 08, 2016
Read Exodus chapt. 1
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by Islamicpope(m): 11:03am On Aug 08, 2016
my wife is one of them. four children just like dat without night vigil prayer and fasting. dat is a typical Hebrew woman.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 08, 2016
Thanks for bringing up this interesting question. Although I have attended a lot of deliveries, its the first time I hear this Biblical expression. I don't know the answer so I can only brainstorm. Maybe the Hebrew women used birthstools, which can favour the progress in the second stage of labour. Another possibility is difference in fysiology (different pelvis) or level of fitness. I am not sure but I thought in old Egypt female genital mutilation was a common practice, which can also very negatively effect the birth process and outcome.
I will see if I find some time to check resources on this topic. Or maybe some experts around here?
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by ify23ng: 1:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
Tufanja:
Thanks for bringing up this interesting question. Although I have attended a lot of deliveries, its the first time I hear this Biblical expression. I don't know the answer so I can only brainstorm. Maybe the Hebrew women used birthstools, which can favour the progress in the second stage of labour. Another possibility is difference in fysiology (different pelvis) or level of fitness. I am not sure but I thought in old Egypt female genital mutilation was a common practice, which can also very negatively effect the birth process and outcome.
I will see if I find some time to check resources on this topic. Or maybe some experts around here?

Thanks a lot, I will be looking forward to here from u
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by ify23ng: 1:21pm On Aug 08, 2016
Islamicpope:
my wife is one of them. four children just like dat without night vigil prayer and fasting. dat is a typical Hebrew woman.

Congratulation, but u don't understand what I am talking about, this Hebrew women do they always give birth successfully or God design them not to have difficulty when giving birth.
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by Rockstar07: 1:48pm On Aug 08, 2016
ify23ng:
Dear Bible scholars, please I have been having issues understanding this word, "you will give birth like a Hebrew woman", does it mean that all the women in that place gives birth safely or what, please I need to understand why people keep using that word. Your contribution will help me a lot thanks.

It's simply because the Hebrew women in those days gives birth with ease (Less Mortality Rate) but not that they don't have labor pain tho and their population was increasing geometrically which result into King Pharoach ordering their killing. Inspite of the order, it doesn't stop the growth of the Hebrew.
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by Stanleyafam(m): 2:13pm On Nov 14, 2018
Giving birth like Hebrew women, was a lie told by the midwives because they couldn't carry out pharoa's command.
Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by LordReed(m): 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2018
Someone already treated this, the phrase was a lie told to Pharaoh by Hebrew midwives to save themselves from punishment.

Exodus 1
15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah:

16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it be a daughter, then she shall live.

17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.

18 And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive?

19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them.

Read it very well. It was a lie. There is nothing like "delivery like the Hebrew women".

Edit: corrected Genesis to Exodus.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women by Ihedinobi3: 6:26pm On Nov 14, 2018
LordReed:
Someone already treated this, the phrase was a lie told to Pharaoh by Hebrew midwives to save themselves from punishment.

Genesis 1
15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah:

16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it be a daughter, then she shall live.

17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.

18 And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive?

19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them.

Read it very well. It was a lie. There is nothing like "delivery like the Hebrew women".

I don't think you are necessarily correct. I wouldn't say that it wasn't a lie but the text does not say that it WAS a lie. It could be that God intervened to save their lives through the experience they described. Or it could be that they lied. Either way, it would amount to reading INTO the text to say so. The text only says that they said that Hebrew women had fast deliveries.

On second thought, verse 17 does suggest that they lied. If they had an active hand in saving the children alive, then they very likely lied.

(Edited.)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Myth Of Nazareth: Did the historical Jesus Exist? / Let's List All The Versions Of The Bible / Prayer Postures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.