Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . (2946 Views)

Poll: Do you believe its possible to travel back in Time?

No! Nonsense!: 35% (5 votes)
Yes. . .: 35% (5 votes)
Maybe: 28% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How Black Man Came Into Existence / A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! / Purpose Of Human Existence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 6:05pm On Sep 23, 2009
Let's have a short discourse on the most mysterious thing we all know.

TIME.

Time by its very nature seems to be eternal. And for this reason, questions related to Time have always disturbed thinking people: for the simple fact that it seems virtually incomprehensible.

Some people state that Space and Time were created by the Big Bang.

I am not sure that i subscribe to that, because there could be other universes out there, and we cannot suggest that "Time" would not apply to such Universes even before the Big Bang.

Whatever may be said about the nature of time, my concern within this thread is the possibility of time Travel.

Is it possible to travel into the past? Do the known laws of physics preclude this?

For example:

If you run from point-A to point-B and it takes you 1 minute. . . You double your speed and it takes you 30 seconds. . . you double your speed again and it takes you fifteen seconds, we carry on increasing speed up till the point where it takes you no measurable time to arrive at point B. On, and on we increase the speed untill we arrive at a point whereby you arrive at point B at the exact moment that you left point A. Then we increase the speed even more, and then we arrive at a point that you arrive at Point B 1 second before you left Point A. You have crossed the Time Barrier through speed, and you have traveled to the past.

If time travel is possible, would that affect all ideas of God, religion, spirituality, etc?

Any takers?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 6:37pm On Sep 23, 2009
Time Travel erh? Interesting! If it is possible, how would we come to know this in principle? In other words, are we gonna arrive at this knowledge by scientific means or by some other means?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Tudor6(f): 6:47pm On Sep 23, 2009
One would think  just like elasticity and breaking point, it'll get to a stage where increase in speed is impossible to protect the TS continum. . .it'll be lovely if this can be scientifically replicated though.
One question, is it possible to conceive a world without the time concept?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 6:49pm On Sep 23, 2009
Huxley. . . yes. . . i am looking at science doing it, not voodoo. . .

But you cant rule anything out. . .
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Tudor6(f): 6:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep sight, you believe in the "spiritual realm" right?
Can you describe the relationship between the spiritual realm and time and space if they have any.
Do they interact?
If the spiritual does exist i'm sure it can be used to study this phenomenom (astral projection et all)
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 6:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep Sight:

Huxley. . . yes. . . i am looking at science doing it, not voodoo. . .

But you cant rule anything out. . .

OK - now we are talking.  Was just checking that I was not gonna waste my time talking about mumbo-jumbo.  Just one other thing - Are you sure that science is better placed to give us better picture of what the reality is?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by KunleOshob(m): 7:26pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Time Travel erh? Interesting! If it is possible, how would we come to know this in principle? In other words, are we gonna arrive at this knowledge by scientific means or by some other means?
According to Albert einsten theory of relativity, time and space is relative and theoretically time travel is possible even though it is yet to be demonstrated physically.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 23, 2009
Time travel is impossible . . .

1 Like

Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 7:50pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

Time travel is impossible . . .

Any specific reasons why you say this?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by wirinet(m): 7:53pm On Sep 23, 2009
KunleOshob:

According to Albert einsten theory of relativity, time and space is relative and theoretically time travel is possible even though it is yet to be demonstrated physically.

According to Albert Einstein theory of relativity, time travel is not possible because the theory of Relativity makes travel at a speed greater than light impossible.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by KunleOshob(m): 7:56pm On Sep 23, 2009
wirinet:

According to Albert Einstein theory of relativity, time travel is not possible because the theory of Relativity makes travel at a speed greater than light impossible.
And must time travel be dependent on the speed of light
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep Sight:

Any specific reasons why you say this?

Because we did not create time, we are powerless to manipulate it.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2009
wirinet:

Oga Sir me I am tired of all these assertions oh, does this topic not belong somewhere else if it is a scientific discourse?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 8:00pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

Because we did not create time, we are powerless to manipulate it.

There are many things that we did not create which we manipulate. The Earth is full of them.

Beside, moving forward in time is not a manipulation but mere movement?

So why should moving backward be a "manipulation".
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by DeepSight(m): 8:01pm On Sep 23, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Oga Sir me I am tired of all these assertions oh, does this topic not belong somewhere else if it is a scientific discourse?

No - we want to see what the possibility of Time Travel will mean for questions such as the existence of God, and concepts such as heaven and hell, and on faith generally, see the title.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep Sight:

There are many things that we did not create which we manipulate. The Earth is full of them.

Beside, moving forward in time is not a manipulation but mere movement?

So why should moving backward be a "manipulation".

Time itself is intangible . . . can you put time into a bottle?

We are not moving forward in time, time moves on regardless of whether we exist or not.

If we could consciously decide to slow down time then the possibility of moving backwards would make sense.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 23, 2009
wirinet:

this is just mumbo jumbo . . . this question does not require quotes from ALbert Einstein or his theory. Even the lay man who never went to school understands that time is an intangible but fundamental part of our lives. The day man can stop time then we can start talking about going backward.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:05pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep Sight:

No - we want to see what the possibility of Time Travel will mean for questions such as the existence of God, and concepts such as heaven and hell, and on faith generally, see the title.
But we first have to do what no one has been able to do, prove that it is possible or impossible?
How does that affect the belief in the existence of God?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:09pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

this is just mumbo jumbo . . . this question does not require quotes from ALbert Einstein or his theory. Even the lay man who never went to school understands that time is an intangible but fundamental part of our lives. The day man can stop time then we can start talking about going backward.
Errrrrrr can you demonstrate to us that it is impossible to time travel?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Errrrrrr can you demonstrate to us that it is impossible to time travel?

Do i need to demonstrate? If you know anyone who has time traveled pls let us know.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2009
I am actually a time-traveller - I am a visitor from YOUR future.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Tudor6(f): 8:21pm On Sep 23, 2009
Chris how far na, where you dey since?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Tudor6(f): 8:21pm On Sep 23, 2009
Chris how far na, where you dey since?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2009
Deep Sight,

What happened to the 5 questions I posted for you about your definition os God?   I sense this slimy thing about you -  you refuse to address my question and you gloat later that they have all been addressed.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Deep Sight,

What happened to the 5 questions I posted for you about your definition os God?   I sense this slimy thing about you -  you refuse to address my question and you gloat later that they have all been addressed.

Really, i cant fathom how this is any different from you.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by KunleOshob(m): 8:26pm On Sep 23, 2009
I suggest we all do google searches on time travel/ time machine you would be amazed with how much scientific information you would come up with.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by noetic2: 8:28pm On Sep 23, 2009
davidylan:

Really, i cant fathom how this is any different from you.
grin grin to think Huxley is now accusing people of evading questions grin grin grin
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 8:29pm On Sep 23, 2009
noetic2:

grin grin to think Huxley is now accusing people of evading questions grin grin grin

Was it not you (neotic) who agreed to go into a 20-20 question marathon, and later declined. Was it because you feared a roasting? Shall we do it now?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 23, 2009
noetic2:

That seems to be his MO.
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by noetic2: 8:32pm On Sep 23, 2009
huxley:

Was it not you (neotic) who agreed to go into a 20-20 question marathon, and later declined. Was it because you feared a roasting? Shall we do it now?

bring it on . . , ,
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by huxley(m): 8:46pm On Sep 23, 2009
noetic2:

bring it on . . , ,

Are you serious? Shall we do a 20-20 questions marathon? You set 20 questions for me and I do the same for you? Shall we do this?
Re: Time Travel, Existence, God, & Science. . . by mnwankwo(m): 8:46pm On Sep 23, 2009
@Deepsight. It will be difficult to answer your question without explaining what you mean by time. During a dream lasting few seconds, a man can see his birth, youth, adulthood, oldage and even death. Yet what he took few seconds for  experience in a dream may take 70 or more years to experience in full day counsciousness. Is the time in his dream the same with the time in brain day counsciouness. I guess you believe that future events can be predicted. What time is the prophet or seer using to make the predictions? If it is possible to predict the future, why do you think that it is not possible to recall the past? I may make a contribution on time travel but for the moment I will watch the thread develop. Stay blessed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Nights Of Glory 2013 / Revealed: True Reason Why The Black Race Have Remained Backwards...(must Read) / Once Shaved Always Shaved? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.