Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,349 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (56234 Views)

How African Countries Performed At Rio 2016 Olympics / Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / katsuyatakasu, A Japanese To Reward Nigerian Players At Rio Olympics (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by HIPROFILE(m): 11:24am On Aug 09, 2016
I have never been interested in the Olympics since it started because of the drama around team Nigeria. But this morning I was in tears without minding people's presence in my office when i came across this write-up from uncle Onyebuchi Ememanka on Chierika Ukogu,an American born Nigerian girl of 23 years of age.
She is a student of Stanford University and is currently representing Nigeria at the Rio Olympics in a sports called Rowing.
This young woman practically sponsored herself to the games. She had to put her school program on hold and found a way to train with the US Olympic team and qualified for the games without any support from home. No one cared about her. She used the GO FUND ME app to raise funds to enable her participate in this games.
She was not deterred by the challenges, neither did she abandon her country even when the country didn't care about her.
For her, all that mattered was to represent her country and wear the national colors.

She has just qualified for the quarter finals in her category.

Take a huge bow, Chierika.

You are an inspiration.
Whether you win a medal or not, you have won the hearts of millions of Nigerians and that's more precious that's an Olympic gold medal.

I hope that daft beret wearing Minister will understand the true meaning of this girl's sacrifice and at least go and watch her during the quarter finals tomorrow.

820 Likes 112 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 11:28am On Aug 09, 2016
To me = Meaninigful....,.
To the Minister of boy scout= Meaning-less

240 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by hymanflex(m): 11:42am On Aug 09, 2016
where are the Name checkers association of nairaland ?

why don't you come here and check out the name involved here

keep it up ma'am
you're a star already, keep on shinning.

355 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by MENZPRIDE(m): 12:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
How I wish it was the Olympic Budget that was PADDED, I'm not sure many people will be complaining...
Many of our athletes have been sacrificing and are still willing to sacrifice, only a little pat on the back is all they desire.
But in Nigeria, it is easier to approve a budget for a 'ghost' constituency project than for a Sports project.
May God Save Our Country!

130 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by HIPROFILE(m): 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2016
I hope to see this on the front page..ooo than news like: Tonto dike's first son goes to school

At least it is worthy of emulation and more prayers and support to her could see her to the top. As well as boost and encourage thousands of her likes... Both home and abroad.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by robosky02(m): 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2016
nice one..

Nigeria happy people, making things happen in spite of the govt attitute

6 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by chiboy7(m): 3:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
God bless her abundantly.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by MrTemple(m): 3:34pm On Aug 09, 2016
If only our government can follow her foot step, Nigeria will be great again.

May God crown her efforts.

Amen

40 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by nathskib(f): 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2016
This is a front page material

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by CaptEColeJnr: 6:51pm On Aug 09, 2016
wow.. This is touching indeed.. God bless her. Oga lalasticlala, abeg front-page

7 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by malenko01(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2016
nice one

2 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by watchindelta(m): 7:08pm On Aug 09, 2016
na she try pass...kisses baby

8 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by gbemmy2k10(m): 7:28pm On Aug 09, 2016
I STAND with Chierika Ukogu & other Patriotic Nigerians out there against our "F-
up" system that celebrates mediocrity over hardwork
Thank you Chierika Ukogu , for choosing #Nigeria when you could have opt for USA,
thank you more for making us proud!
lalasticala fynestboi mynd44

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Litmus: 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2016
Congrats to her but less we should be too grateful, it is just as beneficial to many Nigerians like these born abroad to have Nigeria to fall back on as it is for Nigeria to have them. It was for instance a source of great strength for Christina Ehogru of Britain to have Nigeria as a fall back place should Britain show off too much. Through Nigeria, many Diaspora Nigerians get to fulfill dreams of participating in International competitions if the nation of their preferences - the foreign Nation - don't select them for whatever reason.

The onus on lessons to be learned should be on Nigerian diasporans not Nigeria. It says, if born abroad, do not disparage your ancestral Nation for it can serve as a source of strength.

IPOB, America branch, take note.

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Laird(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2016
Please I am Igbo with a Yoruba mum so I am being practical.
The foreign born athletes sportspeople representing Nigeria are doing it for THEIR PERSONAL CAREER EXPOSURE AND CV BOOST AND REPUTATION and not because of a failed state called Nigeria and not because of any patriotism. It is all personal interest which is not evil..
Nigeria's failed sports ministry and government leaves indigenes(home born and based Nigerians unable to participate in International Competitions because of lack of finance, lack of equipment and government support) and so foreign trained,supported by the facilities and amenities and benefits of sports programmes ( sports scholarships, sports equipment and infrastructure and government sports support) in the Developed world who did not make their Developed country competition team use their Nigerian Second CITIZENSHIP to compete in International Competitions for their PERSONAL SPORTS CV and CAREER PROFILE AND SPORTS COMPETITION EXPOSURE to be boosted. Not for any smelly Nigeria.

Its all personal reasons but not evil. Though sports administrators and governments might want to not release funds or divert or withhold sports budgets because Onyibo/Western born or based Nigerians sportpersons who live and make use of the Developed Worlds facilities and amenities will use Nigerians flag to compete and boost their personal CV and sports profile when their Western/Developed country does not pick them to compete in International events

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Sunnycliff(m): 10:12pm On Aug 09, 2016
From the Presidency to the sports minister and NOC. all of them are a disgrace to team Nigeria!

I pray her sacrifice won't be in vain as she's qualified for the next stage of her sporting event. The annoying thing is that the berret wearing mad man will take the glory of her success as the sports minister!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by winkmart: 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by ProfSamurai(m): 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
A True Patriot

I wish for you, a gold medal.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Timoleon(m): 10:15pm On Aug 09, 2016
Laird:
The foreign born athletes sportspeople representing Nigeria are doing it for THEIR PERSONAL CAREER EXPOSURE AND CV BOOST AND REPUTATION and not because of a failed state called Nigeria and not because of any patriotism. It is all personal interest which is not evil..
Nigeria's failed sports ministry and government leaves indigenes(home born and based Nigerians unable to participate in International Competitions because of lack of finance, lack of equipment and government support) and so foreign trained,supported by the facilities and amenities and benefits of sports programmes ( sports scholarships, sports equipment and infrastructure and government sports support) in the Developed world who did not make their Developed country competition team use their Nigerian Second CITIZENSHIP to compete in International Competitions for their PERSONAL SPORTS CV and CAREER PROFILE AND SPORTS COMPETITION EXPOSURE to be boosted. Not for any smelly Nigeria.

Its all personal reasons but not evil. Though sports administrators and governments might want to not release funds or divert or withhold sports budgets because Onyibo/Western born or based Nigerians sportpersons who live and make use of the Developed Worlds facilities and amenities will use Nigerians flag to compete and boost their personal CV and sports profile when their Western/Developed country does not pick them to compete in International events
true...who gets d money and the sponsorship deals wen t does work out? Its mostly about self...repping nigeria is just a platform.

11 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 09, 2016
wow. I'm happy to see this. I'm happier she's Igbo. I'm sure this one see herself as a Nigerian. Good to know that we cannot judge the entire igbo race base on the comments of some Igbos on Nairaland cool

6 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Austema(m): 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
Which one is GO FUND ME app again

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Sunnycliff(m): 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
Laird:

Thrash upon rubbish! Justifying FG indifference for sports in this administration

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Hadeyeancah(m): 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
Alright
Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
Represent Nigeria? NEVER. Only second class athletes do it and its perfectly fine and understandable...Good luck but you dont stand a chance against the USA team.

USA NIGERIA USA NIGERIA USA
Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by milky3(f): 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
despite all these people are still representing

1 Like

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by IMASTEX: 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
Nigeria is got all it takes to be a great Nation in true sense, but vampires in political forms won't have it so.

3 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2016
Selfless Service!!! All the best Chi
Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Primusinterpares(m): 10:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
She has actually won our hearts...shine on dear

3 Likes

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
Were are fools like HungerBad, come and see o. Tribalistic mofo

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by VivaDeAngelo(m): 10:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
hymanflex:
where are the Name checkers association of nairaland
?

why don't you come here and check out the name involved here

keep it up ma'am

you're a star already, keep on shinning.

Biafran babe obviously. Yaf you heard? wink
IPod's commitment to the ailing Nigeria remain second to none.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics by tosyne2much(m): 10:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ole Solskjaer Hands List Of Players To Leave Man United (see Details) / Iceland Players Support Carl Ikeme (Photo) / Nigeria vs Ghana: CAF World Cup Qualifiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.