Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,021 members, 7,799,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Must References Appear In Every CV? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Must References Appear In Every CV? (9929 Views)

Benefits Of Professional Courses To Your CV / Accountant With MBA, Reputable Experience And References / How To Select The Most Effective Professional References For Your Job Search (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must References Appear In Every CV? by glossy6(f): 3:25pm On Aug 09, 2016
My organization placed an internal advert for staff to apply using their cv and a suitability statement. My questions are:

1. Will the cv contain references since it is the same organization?
2. Is application letter the same as suitability statement?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Intelligentdude(m): 5:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
glossy6:
My organization placed an internal advert for staff to apply using their cv and a suitability statement. My questions are:

Helo,yes suitability statement is the same as application letter(cos you are basically telling the HR the skill you possess which is suitable for the internal advert).

As regard references, what will it cost you if you include your references?(If I were you,the HR will be among my references,office politics calculation 101).Cheers

For your standard and professional cv,send a mail and your current cv to: doctorken4all@yahoo.com.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by glossy6(f): 10:35am On Aug 10, 2016
Intelligentdude:
Helo,yes suitability statement is the same as application letter(cos you are basically telling the HR the skill you possess which is suitable for the internal advert).

As regard references, what will it cost you if you include your references?(If I were you,the HR will be among my references,office politics calculation 101).Cheers

Thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Odunharry(m): 6:39am On Aug 15, 2016
For starters, you can put Available upon Request.
If the advert requires you to put Referees on your curriculum vitae, Pls do..

4 Likes

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by DICKtator: 6:39am On Aug 15, 2016
I'm not an H.R. person but I do not think it should unless stated otherwise.

You can't just be exposing your references details to every Adamu, Chukuwuma and Ade

"Available on request" is more suitable unless where you are applying to, the reference has worked there before and has a good reputation there,then I would suggest you put it on your CV.

But I believe if you have something to offer and you have experience,adding references details shouldn't be necessary or else your CV would exceed the widely accepted 2-3 pages CV

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Toluwani113: 6:40am On Aug 15, 2016
I dunno
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Odunharry(m): 6:40am On Aug 15, 2016
DICKtator:
grin This early morning??
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by brownjulie(f): 6:42am On Aug 15, 2016
I wish I know cry
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by koxi: 6:50am On Aug 15, 2016
Application letter and suitability statement are two completely different entities
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by bamite(m): 6:55am On Aug 15, 2016
Can someone use a retired senior civil servant as reference?
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by emerged01(m): 6:55am On Aug 15, 2016
koxi:
Application letter and suitability statement are two completely different entities
Come back here and explain further.

1 Like

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 15, 2016
I always go with 'Available on Request'
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by lafex: 7:01am On Aug 15, 2016
I saw an advert that says 'send your cv, cover letter and reference' to recruitment@aun.edu.ng'm does the reference meant reference letter or referee?
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by living2013(m): 7:02am On Aug 15, 2016
You can
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by BE811APP: 7:02am On Aug 15, 2016
it wont hurt if u add it there wink
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by living2013(m): 7:07am On Aug 15, 2016
glossy6:

Its not a must to include references. But in this case, you can include them and the first two must be from the company. You need to write your CV in a very constructive manner and ensure that all the relevant information are included. The suitability letter is same as application letter. Ensure that you include all the information that makes you suitable for the position. It must be targeted to the position and have the same tone with your CV. You can check my profile for more guide on writing job winning CV.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by sathel(m): 7:16am On Aug 15, 2016
Na nah..diz is not d first time this matter has been discussed... undecided
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by numericalguy(m): 7:18am On Aug 15, 2016
Intelligentdude:

You nailed it except for the HR part because putting HR as references CV might not be the best option except if she's working directly with the HR perdonnel. Her references should have at least one personnel in the company that she works with and who will readily say good things about her. She should also have at least one personnel who doesn't work in the company.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by rhymaholic: 7:33am On Aug 15, 2016
Except when stated in the application advert, I really don't include reference on my c.v. "Referee: Available on request" is just fine and I still get called for interviews. Due diligence would be done after you're giving the job where you'd be asked then to give your referee and guarantor's details.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Benjom(m): 7:33am On Aug 15, 2016
It's relative... I wrote an article on this on my website. Nevertheless, here is an excerpt:

Referees/References
This is a controversial one. Before I ventured into CV writing/rewriting service, I did a thorough research on major aspects of CVs. I found out that adding. reference or referee was a common preference of applicants in this part of the world, using Nigeria as a case study. As a result of its ineffectiveness, I started discouraging my clients from adding it. I however came across a prospective client who insisted I should include his referees and when I studied the supposed CV, I had to agree with him because his referees were heavy weights in Nigerian politics. Being a Niger Deltan, he was asked to submit the CV to one of the top oil servicing companies in his area. He stressed emphatically that without the ‘cabals’ being mentioned, he may not get the job. I therefore submit that adding referee is relative. If you think it will serve an undeniable purpose, why not? Add it. Otherwise, as some have opined or argued, it would only be a waste. If you must include it make sure it’s not placed haphazardly but neatly.

You may read the full article here: www..com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/

1 Like

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Exponental(m): 7:46am On Aug 15, 2016
CVs are commonly known to having references, so therefore, include yours. If you can get a reference from the organization, the better.
Suitability statement should be your objective.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by glossy6(f): 7:51am On Aug 15, 2016
Thanks, I am getting good feedbacks.

In this particular case, you are already in the organization but you are applying for an administrative job within the same organization.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Codeman01(m): 7:56am On Aug 15, 2016
Reference letter is different from referees, it simply means letter of attestation and recommendation from your referees. Shikenna

lafex:
I san advert that says 'send your cv, cover letter and reference' to recruitment@aun.edu.ng'm does the reference meant reference letter or referee?
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by lafex: 8:11am On Aug 15, 2016
They said reference'. Are you saying reference is tge same as reference letter?
Codeman01:
Reference letter is different from referees, it simply means letter of attestation and recommendation from your referees. Shikenna

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 15, 2016
must the phone number of the referee be included

1 Like

Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by shewun001: 8:50am On Aug 15, 2016
It's not necessary and in your case it is particularly not.
All you need to do is to add that famous line "Available on request which in reality means nothing.
It is only important if you aren't so ok experienced or fresh.
Re: Must References Appear In Every CV? by gabsuccess(m): 8:51am On Aug 15, 2016
yes you must add reference to signified that u comes from a place not a spirit.ok.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / Recruitment For Graduate Engineer At Nigerstar 7 / Nnpc Aptitude Test Info.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.