Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Interracial Marriages In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interracial Marriages In Nigeria (4492 Views)

Gay Marriages In Nigerian Society - A Historical And Cultural View / Chinese Men's Marriages To African Women Causes Controversy In China / Child Marriages In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by courtneysr: 3:26am On Sep 24, 2009
I was currently in a relationship with a Nigerian and he decided to end it because I was white and wished to start a career as a politician in Nigeria. I have searched the internet and couldn't find much ( but I am not to internet Savoy when trying o find things) on interracial marriages in Nigeria. If it is common, OK, or just plain wrong. Especially in a position as high as politicans, Please if anybody knows anything let me know.

Thanks smiley
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by SeanT21(f): 3:54am On Sep 24, 2009
courtneysr:

I was currently in a relationship with a Nigerian and he decided to end it because I was white and wished to start a career as a politician in Nigeria. I have searched the internet and couldn't find much ( but I am not to internet Savoy when trying o find things) on interracial marriages in Nigeria. If it is common, OK, or just plain wrong. Especially in a position as high as politicans, Please if anybody knows anything let me know.

Thanks smiley

dream on.

2 Likes

Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by chic2pimp(m): 5:03am On Sep 24, 2009
I don't know why but this post not only looks dodgy but it also sounds effy. undecided . Just my 2cents worth.
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 6:45am On Sep 24, 2009
To qualify as an honorary Nigerian politician, you will be required to enlist as the 17th wife of a geriatric Nigerian from the Hausa tribe, whereopun you will assume the status of a FIRST LADY as soon the old fart rigs his way into political power. Once in that exalted position, you will be entitled to loot the state treasury to your heart's content, under a variety of "pet programs" that will all bear names relating to the aleviation of poverty, YOUR poverty, that is.

Good luck and don't forget to forward my consultancy fee as soon as you get your paws in the cookie jar.
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by bibiking1(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2009
chic2pimp:

I don't know why but this post not only looks dodgy but it also sounds effy. undecided . Just my 2cents worth.

I think i'll go with you on this one, until proven otherwise that is!
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by FBS: 8:57am On Sep 24, 2009
Same here and I guess it should be in the romance/family section, no? cheesy
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by Rosabelle(f): 10:19am On Sep 24, 2009
Jakumo:

To qualify as an honorary Nigerian politician, you will be required to enlist as the 17th wife of a geriatric Nigerian from the Hausa tribe, whereopun you will assume the status of a FIRST LADY as soon the old fart rigs his way into political power. Once in that exalted position, you will be entitled to loot the state treasury to your heart's content, under a variety of "pet programs" that will all bear names relating to the aleviation of poverty, YOUR poverty, that is.
Good luck and don't forget to forward my consultancy fee as soon as you get your paws in the cookie jar.
lol. Im not exactly sure you read the posters initial question lol. WHAT are you talking about? cheesy

@Poster, if your story is real, theres no law against interacial marriage, its just most people wont take him serious if he showed up on the political scene with a caucasian wife. Its hard enough being taken seriously even if he was jsut a regular guy.
People just dont see interacial marriages as 'real', cos they dont see a basis for it. Sounds too simple an explanation, but thats how it goes down.
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by naijaking1: 10:25am On Sep 24, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin
courtneysr:

Thanks smiley

I was white too cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by Basildon1(m): 12:31pm On Sep 24, 2009
This should be in Jokes section, what an a.s.s !! I simply can not make sense of this babble,
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by IFELEKE(m): 1:07pm On Sep 24, 2009
Jakumo:

dude you are wicked grin

Poster,
Stop dreaming!
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by sexyLeamon(f): 2:52pm On Sep 24, 2009
SeanT21:

dream on.
lol, seanT dat is too mean na cheesy cheesy
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by mccloud224(m): 3:44am On Dec 17, 2009
This post is fictional. cool
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by eddy1977(m): 7:20pm On Dec 18, 2009
dont listen to these bunch of retards.
i am very upset because your question is very good but these parasites,sons of bafoons,descendants of pharisees try to make fun of you.
interracial marriages are not disdained in nigeria at all.i am very glad you ended your relationship with that son of a gun who lied to you about jeopardizing his political carrer if he married you.let him burn in hades.
the last thing u want is to marry a nigerian politician;
get u a regular joe six packs and enjoy life.
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 20, 2009
@poster: To be perfectly honest, Nigeria is a country where ethnicity and blood are tied to the land. What this means is: You are either Nigerian by blood or you are not. And if you're not Nigerian by blood you can't do anything in Nigeria other than just be a normal every day person. You can't be a traditional ruler, you can't be a politician or hold office. If I'm reading your question correctly, it was your boyfriend/husband who wanted to start a political career. If this is the case, then yes, he probably (and correctly I might add) assumed that your whiteness would be detrimental to his political career. Why? Because politics in Nigeria is inextricably tied to ethnicity and tribe. A politician CANNOT represent an area of the country to which he does not belong. And  belonging or being from an area of the country means ethnically and genetically originating from that area by blood, DNA, and culture. So of course, you can see how you would add an awkward element to the equation.

That and the fact that Nigeria only gained independence from Britain only 49 years ago. Any white people attempting to either take any kind of office or associate themselves directly with any kind of political office in Nigeria would most likely be viewed as veiled neo-colonists at worst and insulting at best.

Interracial marriages exist in Nigeria and are not seriously frowned upon but they are still rare/uncommon. Most Nigerian parents would prefer for their children to marry another Nigerian of the same tribe at best and another Nigerian of a complementary tribe at worst.  This does not mean that interracial couples are harrassed or anything. However, such marriages are not common, and they NEVER exist at high political levels,  ever. It would be political suicide.

I know this is your relationship and it must make you feel sad, but I do hope you now understand the situation a bit better. I am not trying to be harsh, I am just trying to give you an honest answer. If the person you're in a relationship with is a normal person, or even a very successful/wealthy business person then you're good to go. But once you start dating people that are from royal families, heirs to empires, or have political careers, then if I were you, I would not realistically expect the relationship to go anywhere. The realistic expectation would be that such a person would sooner or later marry another Nigerian (usually one that has been carefully selected and specially groomed to the expectations of the family).

5 Likes

Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by sunnykiss(m): 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2009
@poster they have said it all,you may be his 4th wife,and dont go near politicians pls they suck
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by tpiah: 4:16pm On Aug 31, 2010
i do wonder:

having a white father, black mother vs having a white mother, black father.

how do the kids of these unions interact with their minority side.
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by Ybutterfly: 8:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
sugabelly: @poster: To be perfectly honest, Nigeria is a country where ethnicity and blood are tied to the land. What this means is: You are either Nigerian by blood or you are not. And if you're not Nigerian by blood you can't do anything in Nigeria other than just be a normal every day person. You can't be a traditional ruler, you can't be a politician or hold office. If I'm reading your question correctly, it was your boyfriend/husband who wanted to start a political career. If this is the case, then yes, he probably (and correctly I might add) assumed that your whiteness would be detrimental to his political career. Why? Because politics in Nigeria is inextricably tied to ethnicity and tribe. A politician CANNOT represent an area of the country to which he does not belong. And  belonging or being from an area of the country means ethnically and genetically originating from that area by blood, DNA, and culture. So of course, you can see how you would add an awkward element to the equation.

That and the fact that Nigeria only gained independence from Britain only 49 years ago. Any white people attempting to either take any kind of office or associate themselves directly with any kind of political office in Nigeria would most likely be viewed as veiled neo-colonists at worst and insulting at best.

Interracial marriages exist in Nigeria and are not seriously frowned upon but they are still rare/uncommon. Most Nigerian parents would prefer for their children to marry another Nigerian of the same tribe at best and another Nigerian of a complementary tribe at worst.  This does not mean that interracial couples are harrassed or anything. However, such marriages are not common, and they NEVER exist at high political levels,  ever. It would be political suicide.

I know this is your relationship and it must make you feel sad, but I do hope you now understand the situation a bit better. I am not trying to be harsh, I am just trying to give you an honest answer. If the person you're in a relationship with is a normal person, or even a very successful/wealthy business person then you're good to go. But once you start dating people that are from royal families, heirs to empires, or have political careers, then if I were you, I would not realistically expect the relationship to go anywhere. The realistic expectation would be that such a person would sooner or later marry another Nigerian (usually one that has been carefully selected and specially groomed to the expectations of the family).

[img]http://revonator.files./2012/02/amen1.jpg[/img]
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
sugabelly: @poster: To be perfectly honest, Nigeria is a country where ethnicity and blood are tied to the land. What this means is: You are either Nigerian by blood or you are not. And if you're not Nigerian by blood you can't do anything in Nigeria other than just be a normal every day person. You can't be a traditional ruler, you can't be a politician or hold office. If I'm reading your question correctly, it was your boyfriend/husband who wanted to start a political career. If this is the case, then yes, he probably (and correctly I might add) assumed that your whiteness would be detrimental to his political career. Why? Because politics in Nigeria is inextricably tied to ethnicity and tribe. A politician CANNOT represent an area of the country to which he does not belong. And  belonging or being from an area of the country means ethnically and genetically originating from that area by blood, DNA, and culture. So of course, you can see how you would add an awkward element to the equation.

TRULY WELL SAID AND THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD AND WILL BE! after all, we dont want selling off our ocuntry to any white oyinbo who walks in.

take India for example. the actual current ruler of India is an italian who married an ex-prime minister. she controls the leading political party and the current PM of India. she is basically controlling the strings of the Nation. now we don want that to happen in Nigeria, do we

3 Likes

Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by tpia5: 11:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
considering the fact that nigeria itself was coined by a white woman, why do we have so many of these threads proliferating nairaland?

i blame the site admin, as usual.

1 Like

Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 12:56pm On Aug 03, 2012

You spoke the truth, well said
Re: Interracial Marriages In Nigeria by tawniey: 6:02pm On Aug 03, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Ada Vbe Even (edo Symbol Of Authority) / ADDFORCE Self Loading Concrete Mixer, No.1 QUALITY From China / The ''marriage List" My Brother Was Given By Our In-laws (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.