Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,966 members, 7,799,279 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale (35827 Views)

How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? / Best Cars For First Timers With Budget Of Less Than 1m / Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by enginer050(m): 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2016
Good

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by futurenix(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2016
A used car is a "used" car. That's why the price is going for lesser the actual cost.

If you don't want the troublems on used cars, just save money and get a brand new car.

That it's tokunbo does not even make it devoid of issues.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Orikinla(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2016
alphamodel1:
Not all Nigerians are liars
The others are story tellers. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by KayodeAjani: 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2016
eightsin:

Good point. Buying from someone you know is better

Worst because you will soon become enemies

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Aug 09, 2016
aloziedaya:
NIGERIANS ARE CRAZY FOR AMERICA USED CARS THAT MILK THEM DRY.

JUMBO ENGINES WITH HIGH MILLAGE WHICH CONVERTED TO KILOMETRES WILL BE IN 200KS.

BUT GOING FOR A NIGERIAN ISED IS EVEN MORE DISTURBING. YOU HARDLY FIND LIFE IN VEHICLES USED IN NIGERIA AFTER 1 YEAR.

NO DEVELOPING COUNTRY COPIES AMERICA MOTORING STYLE.
IT IS EXTRAVAGANT AND DIFFICULT.
I dont think Nigerians are crazy for American cars, stand on your road and count the amount of American cars you see driving through

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by eightsin(m): 9:05pm On Aug 09, 2016
People can be so wicked. Imagine buying a super faulty car with your 2 years savings. Na to just sitdown ground and wail.

4 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by eightsin(m): 9:07pm On Aug 09, 2016
Thr point here is that the seller should be honest and not tell all sort of lies just to defraud a would be buyer.

futurenix:
A user car is a "used" car. That's why the price is going for lesser the actual cost.

If you don't want the troublems on used cars, just save money and get a brand new car.

That it's tokunbo does not even make it devoid of issues.

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by gidjah(m): 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2016
we sill gat few honest Nigerians out her pls,i can authoritatively and humbly tell you, i am one of such.i mean, what will it takefrom me, to tell my customer thetruth about the longevity of my product?,if my car is 6months used in Nigeria, i shall gladly tell the potential buyer that itis!(even if the whole tyres and engines are already gone)it sometimes dosent depend on the physical inspections, it atimes has to do with the 'caring nature' of the owner too

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by abike12(f): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:
Well I am just actually here to say when a car was imported into the country does not necessarily matter. There are three tokunbo cars now in my estate that has been there like 2 to 4 years ago and have not been sold
1. The infiniti variant of the Nissan you uploaded
2. Mazda exodus 2000 V6
3. Acura mdx

The infiniti when I asked was said to be worth 400k that's after two years the owner didn't find a buyer, the car is still at that same spot with all 4 tires romancing the soil

romancing the soil lol! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Originalsly: 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
If you are buying something used...car/phone/tv/whatever....most likely it has some issues and the owner is not likely to tell you. Car... transmission problem..ad:..body in excellent condition, original paint, no scratches or dents, brand new tyres, ice cold a/c, powerful crystal clear premium sound system, power windows, 6 air bags, keyless entry, security system, leather seats..no rips or creases..must sell..owner leaving country. If you don't ask or find out...must he tell you about the bad transmission? Is for you to have a proper inspection.

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by ifyalways(f): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2016
eightsin:
People can be so wicked. Imagine buying a super faulty car with your 2 years savings. Na to just sitdown ground and wail.
LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just love NLD.

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:
Well I am just actually here to say when a car was imported into the country does not necessarily matter. There are three tokunbo cars now in my estate that has been there like 2 to 4 years ago and have not been sold
1. The infiniti variant of the Nissan you uploaded
2. Mazda exodus 2000 V6
3. Acura mdx

The infiniti when I asked was said to be worth 400k that's after two years the owner didn't find a buyer, the car is still at that same spot with all 4 tires romancing the soil

Don't mind the op. He knows nothing about cars. Some good naira used cars are better than some toks . As for me, I use the required lubricant both for the engine and gear, I don't patronise a Kazen, and whenever there is any issue, I fix immediately. If I want to sell such car , would you say because it is a naija used I should give you the car for peanuts? People mostly sell cars to upgrade not for inability to fix faults. I have seen guys spend as much as 800k for car repair, some as much as 300k; depends on the type of car . I believe anyone who was able to buy a car should be able to fix it.

Meanwhile , some toks are marred with multiple problems as 99.9% of them are bought savaged . After which they would be minimally repaired , repainted and smuggled into Nigeria via Cotonoua where some gullible folks will buy them with huge amount of money in the name of buying a Tokunbo car. The price of a Honda accord 2005 model, for example , shipped directly from America, the least you can get a road worthy one is $5800, add shipment cost plus custom duty, at the end of the day, the car won't go less than 4 million naira. Compare that with what the car goes for in Cotonoua, which is is around 1.5 million ,then tell me why you think the difference is that huge. It is simply because the so called Tokunbo are actually dead cars shipped into third word countries . Now , if I wanna sell my car, shipped directly and still declared road worthy in the States , someone will come and offer me peanut because it is not a tokunbo ? I will always laugh at such a person and move on

7 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by abike12(f): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2016
Let's be honest, if not for carfax even oyinbo sellers will lie about the car's history. If you want to know if you are about to enter once chance, check what the same make and model of the car goes for online and convert it to naira. If it is a lot more expensive then you should know there is probably more to the history of the car than what the seller is telling you. Also, have a mechanic inspect the car and check on forums for any problems that model is having e.g. transmission issues and the like. Not everyone can afford a new car but there's always a risk when you buy a used vehicle. Even here, people repair their cars in private shops without insurance and the damage won't end up on the carfax. So just say your prayers before you buy used and befriend a good mechanic. smiley

8 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by yomz1e(m): 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2016
am trying to understand you undecided

KayodeAjani:
The reason why people dispose cars is because of fear. I bought my car as London use and it served me for two years b4 it started with black smoke and brian box issues. I spent fortune but i never relent .eventually i had d car's problem fixed now am still enjoying it. If you buys a car and u can fix d problem that might rises good luck. No bad car to me someone used it from new to that present stage and can be fixed.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:25pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

Don't mind the op. He knows nothing about cars. Some good naira used cars are better than some toks . As for me, I use the required lubricant both for the engine and gear, I don't patronise a Karen, and whenever there is any issue, I fix immediately. If I what to sell such car , would you say because it is a naija used I should give you the car for peanuts? People mostly sell cars to upgrade not for inability to fix faults. I have seen guys spend as much as 800k for car repair, some as much as 300k; depends on the type of car . I believe anyone who was able to buy a car should be able to fix it.

Meanwhile , some toks are marred with multiple problems as 99.9% of them are bought savaged . After which they would be minimally repaired , repainted and smuggled into Nigeria via Cotonoua where some gullible folks will bug them with huge amount of money in the name of buying a Tokunbo car. The price of a Honda accord 2005 model, for example , shipped directly from America, the least you can get a road worthy one is $5800, add shipment cost plus custom duty, at the end of the day, the car won't go less than 4 million naira. Compare that with what the car goes for in Cotonoua, which is is around 1.5 million ,then tell me why you think the difference is that huge. It is simply because the so called Tokunbo are actually dead cars shipped into third word countries . Now , if I wanna sell my car, shipped directly and still declared road worthy in the States , someone will come and offer me peanut because it is not a tokunbo ? I will always laugh at such a person and move on
If your car get used in NIgeria daily for more than 6 months your suspension would be gone, there is no if and buts,
If you buy a ar and it was salvage then its your fault cos its free to check if a car was salvage or not
Used car abroad have mandatory road worthiness check yearly,if not you cannot drive it.In America there would be a sticker to as when the last service was and wen the nxt service would be,.The Toks has a clear way of checking its ingenuity on line almost free of charge.I cannot say same for the Nigerian used.If you are buying as the 2nd owner in Nigeria and the 1st owner bought brand new in Nigeria then,I think one might be lucky but you still need to check suspension.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by highwaist: 9:28pm On Aug 09, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

http://autojosh.com/the-scam-of-6-months-nigerian-used-cars-for-sale/

nigerian are frudulent,4rm tomato seller to briclayer.fruit seller will put rotten friut under and place good ones on top,butcher will put fresh blood on beef (animal)they slughter 4 days a go,honey keeper will mix suger with honey.......

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:28pm On Aug 09, 2016
KayodeAjani:
The reason why people dispose cars is because of fear. I bought my car as London use and it served me for two years b4 it started with black smoke and brian box issues. I spent fortune but i never relent .eventually i had d car's problem fixed now am still enjoying it. If you buys a car and u can fix d problem that might rises good luck. No bad car to me someone used it from new to that present stage and can be fixed.
London used? in London or in Nigeria??

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Frankdamaxx(m): 9:30pm On Aug 09, 2016
aloziedaya:
NIGERIANS ARE CRAZY FOR AMERICA USED CARS THAT MILK THEM DRY.

JUMBO ENGINES WITH HIGH MILLAGE WHICH CONVERTED TO KILOMETRES WILL BE IN 200KS.

BUT GOING FOR A NIGERIAN ISED IS EVEN MORE DISTURBING. YOU HARDLY FIND LIFE IN VEHICLES USED IN NIGERIA AFTER 1 YEAR.

NO DEVELOPING COUNTRY COPIES AMERICA MOTORING STYLE.
IT IS EXTRAVAGANT AND DIFFICULT.

I have used mine for 16 years. Bought brand new though.

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

Don't mind the op. He knows nothing about cars. Some good naira used cars are better than some toks . As for me, I use the required lubricant both for the engine and gear, I don't patronise a Kazen, and whenever there is any issue, I fix immediately. If I want to sell such car , would you say because it is a naija used I should give you the car for peanuts? People mostly sell cars to upgrade not for inability to fix faults. I have seen guys spend as much as 800k for car repair, some as much as 300k; depends on the type of car . I believe anyone who was able to buy a car should be able to fix it.

Meanwhile , some toks are marred with multiple problems as 99.9% of them are bought savaged . After which they would be minimally repaired , repainted and smuggled into Nigeria via Cotonoua where some gullible folks will buy them with huge amount of money in the name of buying a Tokunbo car. The price of a Honda accord 2005 model, for example , shipped directly from America, the least you can get a road worthy one is $5800, add shipment cost plus custom duty, at the end of the day, the car won't go less than 4 million naira. Compare that with what the car goes for in Cotonoua, which is is around 1.5 million ,then tell me why you think the difference is that huge. It is simply because the so called Tokunbo are actually dead cars shipped into third word countries . Now , if I wanna sell my car, shipped directly and still declared road worthy in the States , someone will come and offer me peanut because it is not a tokunbo ? I will always laugh at such a person and move on
This is why we should do a VIN check B4 buying toks

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
Frankdamaxx:

What make?

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by aAK1(m): 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2016
ive been looking for a good used car for over 2 months.ive always been disappointed when ever i go for inspection.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 9:45pm On Aug 09, 2016
Frankdamaxx:

Oga what make and Model is it??

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Frankdamaxx(m): 9:55pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Oga what make and Model is it??

Honda Civic, 2001 model

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by jerryfemi88: 9:56pm On Aug 09, 2016
ademega:
good write up as me dey find a nice car to buy now. I want to ask my people, please how real is the Nairaland adverts about selling cars. can anyone share is or experience? I am seriously thinking of buying from one of these Nairaland adverts. advice pls
there are good cars on nairaland,im also a dealer but im not trying to we dont have bad cars as well.but when u want to buy a car do a proper inspection if possible go along with a good engineer.and i also use this forum to advertise my self jerryfemi and my no.is 08059709977 call if u need nig used cars that are good tnx and GODbless

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 9:57pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

If your car get used in NIgeria daily for more than 6 months your suspension would be gone, there is no if and buts,
If you buy a ar and it was salvage then its your fault cos its free to check if a car was salvage or not
Used car abroad have mandatory road worthiness check yearly,if not you cannot drive it.In America there would be a sticker to as when the last service was and wen the nxt service would be,.The Toks has a clear way of checking its ingenuity on line almost free of charge.I cannot say same for the Nigerian used.If you are buying as the 2nd owner in Nigeria and the 1st owner bought brand new in Nigeria then,I think one might be lucky but you still need to check suspension.

Read my post very well. The cost of road worthy America cars are way higher than what you pay for your so called tokunbo here. Should I send you price list of road worthy America cars for sale? The so called tokunbo we buy here are dead cars, period. Mind you, Carfax dont even record everything .

What is the cost of changing suspension? Only I -want-to-like-my-neighbour car owners will hear hear strange sound below the hood and still keep driving. A worthy car owner visits the mechanic to repair his car immediately any strange sound is heard .

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:05pm On Aug 09, 2016
Frankdamaxx:

Honda Civic, 2001 model
And how in God's name is that an AMERICAN car angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:09pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

And how in God's name is that an AMERICAN car angry angry >:

(

It could be made in America. Any car whose VIN starts with 1 is America made, but not necessarily American car. A Toyota Camry whose VIN starts with 1 was made in the US, but they both are japmobile

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:10pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

Read my post very well. The cost of road worthy America cars are way higher than what you pay for your so called tokunbo here. Should I send you price list of road worthy America cars for sale? The so called tokunbo we buy here are dead cars, period. Mind you, Carfax dont even record everything .

What is the cost of changing suspension? Only I -want-to-like-my-neighbour car owners will hear hear strange sound below the hood and still keep driving. A worthy car owner visits the mechanic to repair his car immediately any strange sound is heard .
I read it, Im responding as an informed person, I have bought and sold cars from the USA and Europe, so I know what I was talking about, if you buy a salvage car CARFAX must have its record cos for your car to be salvage it must have gone fru an Insurance company .which would list it in Cat C,D etc,and that record is available for all to see.
If your car have minor damage say bump in its body then yeh carfax might not have the info cos most people will settle it there and then and fix teh body, but if it has structural damage it would be a write off, and who does write offs?Insurance.

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

It could be made in America. Any car whose VIN starts with 1 is America made, but not necessarily American car. A Toyota Camry whose VIN starts with 1 was made in the US, but they both are japmobile
If you check the post we where talking about, it was about Big American cars guzzling fuel, and large Engines, ie the chevvy, the Ford and Jeeps
toyota ,Honda are all Japanese cars irrespective where they are made.The technology is not American but Japanese, same way the Merc and BMW plus Audi are Germans,irrespective of where they are assembled.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tisha UnArmed Shelton Drives Her Car (Photos, Video) / The Most Expensive Police Car In Various Countries / How To Check Car Owner By Number Plate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.