Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale (35851 Views)

How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? / Best Cars For First Timers With Budget Of Less Than 1m / Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

I read it, Im responding as an informed person, I have bought and sold cars from the USA and Europe, so I know what I was talking about, if you buy a salvage car CARFAX must have its record cos for your car to be salvage it must have gone fru an Insurance company .which would list it in Cat C,D etc,and that record is available for all to see.
If your car have minor damage say bump in its body then yeh carfax might not have the info cos most people will settle it there and then and fix teh body, but if it has structural damage it would be a write off, and who does write offs?Insurance.

How many of those gullible buyers know what is called Carfax let alone knowing how to do VIN check? Any car seen in Cotonou is tokunbo and in their shallow mind, it is OK. That is my point, Mr. If the cars are really still OK, why the marked difference in their prices compared to the road worthy one in the states? Can you dig that ?

3 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

If you check the post we where talking about, it was about Big American cars guzzling fuel, and large Engines, ie the chevvy, the Ford and Jeeps
toyota ,Honda are all Japanese cars irrespective where they are made.The technology is not American but Japanese, same way the Merc and BMW plus Audi are Germans,irrespective of where they are assembled.

Japmobile= Japanese cars! Get that?

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:21pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

Japmobile= Japanese cars! Get that?
How does what you just wrote relate to my previous post?I'm struggling to understand waht you just said, mind xplaining?

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

How does what you just wrote relate to my previous post?I'm struggling to understand waht you just said, mind xplaining?

No sir. Just trying to say I know that it is not all cars manufactured in the States are American cars. Hope this satisfys your curiosity ?

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

How many of those gullible buyers know what is called Carfax let alone knowing how to do VIN check? Any car seen in Cotonou is tokunbo and in their shallow mind, it is OK. That is my point, Mr. If the cars are really still OK, why the marked difference in their prices compared to the road worthy one in the states? Can you dig that ?
The cotos are fraud,they might be salvage as you earlier suggested and at same time they might be dismantled and re assembled, I bet you never saw that,yes cars get Dismantled and re assembled,brought in via containers and re welded to save shipping and clearing rates.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

No sir. Just trying to say I know that it is not all cars manufactured in the States are American cars. Hope this satisfys your curiosity ?
ok I get you now.just that some people term every car from teh us to be american cars.
I have an American car in Nigeria the Jeep liberty, its a 3.7 ltr engine, now thats big.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

ok I get you now.just that some people term every car from teh us to be american cars.
I have an American car in Nigeria the Jeep liberty, its a 3.7 ltr engine, now thats big.

That is really big, and I know you won't love Buhari. Lol.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

That is really big, and I know you won't love Buhari. Lol.
we dey try, God is faitful

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Sparkle777(f): 10:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
Slymonster:
used car is use car,as far its being shipped into this country.There will be one or two problem,maybe body work or so before its being auction at a cheap price and sold over....Trick is that,its more easy to repair over here than over there....

as buhari has killed the naira,expect that used cars to go up here,only way now you can get a cheap car from the formal price you know na if hunger don beat the seller...

Lolzzz. Theres this Nissan Quest in my area for 150k. Na hunger tins.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:42pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

The cotos are fraud,they might be salvage as you earlier suggested and at same time they might be dismantled and re assembled, I bet you never saw that,yes cars get Dismantled and re assembled,brought in via containers and re welded to save shipping and clearing rates.

Yeah, you are right . I know of a guy who bought a 'discussion continue' sold to him as 'EOD' . They changed the rear light and put that of 05 and he gullibly paid. On checking the 10th digitbof his VIN , and some other technical things, I told him, Mr, you have been duped successfully.But the dude wanted to argue before I did the VIN check for him to see the original shape and colour of his car. But before then, and in his shallow mind , he bought a Tokunbo directly from Cotonou .

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:43pm On Aug 09, 2016
Sparkle777:

Lolzzz. Theres this Honda Quest in my area for 150k. Na hunger tins.

Honda quest ?

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by iwadobo: 10:49pm On Aug 09, 2016
erico2k2:

we dey try, God is faitful

I also have a car with 3.0 capacity engine and I don't love Buhari. Spending almost 50 k to fuel a car per month ain't beans at all . Just can't be trekking about town ,so we get to pay through our nose . And that is change! #proudwailer.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by erico2k2(m): 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2016
iwadobo:

I also have a car with 3.0 capacity engine and I don't love Buhari. Spending almost 50 k to fuel a car per month ain't beans at all . Just can't be trekking about town ,so we get to pay through our nose . And that is change! #proudwailer.
well jap cars in Europe are more fuel friendly,even VW of 1,2 ltr Engine for daily knock about.IM planning of getting the smart car for my wife for running around. its a 0.6 ltr

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by opey112(m): 11:03pm On Aug 09, 2016
ademega:
good write up as me dey find a nice car to buy now. I want to ask my people, please how real is the Nairaland adverts about selling cars. can anyone share is or experience? I am seriously thinking of buying from one of these Nairaland adverts. advice pls
If you want to buy any car,online inspect it physically with a good mechanic before talking of money,test drive it and make your decision.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by sodams007(m): 11:17pm On Aug 09, 2016
nurey:
Well I am just actually here to say when a car was imported into the country does not necessarily matter. There are three tokunbo cars now in my estate that has been there like 2 to 4 years ago and have not been sold
1. The infiniti I30 variant of the Nissan you uploaded
2. Mazda exodus9/millenia 2000 V6
3. Acura mdx

The infiniti when I asked was said to be worth 400k that's after two years the owner didn't find a buyer, the car is still at that same spot with all 4 tires romancing the soil

Boss, do you by any chance know the price for the Mazda Millennia? What's your location pls?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by here: 11:33pm On Aug 09, 2016
It's a sad case,though certain dealers like Kubwa dealers in Abj can keep cars for 3yrs refusing to sell rather at ridiculous amounts with no single buyer being identified as having bought from them;making me suspect most are into money laundering.

back to the subject,its common in Abuja and mostly lawy enforcement agents or those who have someone they can call to intervene when these cars are impounded hence the hight rate of car hijack in Abuja.Its not just about Hondas anymore but the recent trend of persons spending above 1-3M buying a car and put old plate numbers even where its the new plate you realize they are stretched plate numbers possibly savaged from accidented cars.

Some share refusal to pay the required registration others hope to sell after using for 6months to 1year claiming 3months used.

If you watch closely, amongst those lost cars you wonder how can someone buy a 5M car and whe lost you ask if there is security or tracker they always reply no.I really dnt pity anyone in those cases.

My view is use the vin if its more than 6months even with clear history really negotiate as you might be buying a load bcz even if its ok how can yoi Park a cat for 3yrs and expect I buy it as new claiming no buyer came forward?

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Jyde81: 11:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
ademega:
good write up as me dey find a nice car to buy now. I want to ask my people, please how real is the Nairaland adverts about selling cars. can anyone share is or experience? I am seriously thinking of buying from one of these Nairaland adverts. advice pls
They are real but it is up to you to perform due diligence. The current car i am using(Honda D.C) was bought october last year through an advert on this nairaland and i can tell u all what was said was how i met the car and there have been no major issues ever since....

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by gbodimowo(m): 11:43pm On Aug 09, 2016
felzylix:
why didn't you just let me sell my 6wks iphone 4s b4 you bring this up?

Na ya type we dey find lol

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by emmy4surecool: 11:43pm On Aug 09, 2016
Can someone tell me d amount of car plz, hw is d car. Which state plz

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by nasonaso: 12:38am On Aug 10, 2016
ademega:

Contact Gauzzau

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by nasonaso: 12:44am On Aug 10, 2016
ademega:

Contact Gauzzuzz. He is worth it. I read a testimony given by ifyalways

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by AUTOCHECKN: 12:53am On Aug 10, 2016
Pls permit me to make some points clear here.

1. Not all Nigerians are liars (Atleast you will find 1 probably out of 50,000, but 1 is a number)

2. Most Nigerians also like cheap things, you cant eat your cake and have it. If you cant afford a good car now, why not wait until you can find one.

3. Most Nigerians care less about due diligence, To tell you how bad we are in this country, take 2 items say Fitbit Charge HR sold on amazon and on jumia. When you visit amazon, you will see lots of reviews that enable you to make informed judgement. When you visit jumia for same product, you probably will find one or two comments posted by disguised seller praising the item. An average Nigerian will not be bothered to carry out good review before making purchase.

4. There are a no of steps to follow when buying a car but we just don't learn. Even at Autocheck Nigeria (www.autocheck.com.ng), we always tell our customers to carry out extensive check as soon as you have a green light on the basis of Vehicle History Report.

Now I have a message for all those who want to eat their cake and have it.
You love cheap things right? Unfortunately you risk burning your fingers by being cheap.

I just had a funny experience.

A nairaland person called me and asked why he has to pay on [url]autocheck.com.ng[/url] for a Vehicle History Report (VHR) he can get for free on the internet. He made lots of justification but I could not help his ignorance, hence I decided to show him how gullible he is by being cheap. So I asked him to run the report and send to me and I will pay him 5000 if he is able to provide the Free Report. He sent me the report and I generate mine and sent to him. Please see attached files. Both reports were generated almost at the same time but where as his shows zero accident , mine showed 1 accident. He would have ignorantly paid for the vehicle at a huge price by being cheap.

So he who has ears let him hear. There are countless supplier of vehicle history reports on the internet. If you are not getting a Carfax or an Autocheck report , you are so on your own.

Again the report alone is not enough, get US or an experienced person to interpret it for you. Enough of junk vehicle in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by sultaan(m): 1:09am On Aug 10, 2016
aloziedaya:
NIGERIANS ARE CRAZY FOR AMERICA USED CARS THAT MILK THEM DRY.

JUMBO ENGINES WITH HIGH MILLAGE WHICH CONVERTED TO KILOMETRES WILL BE IN 200KS.

BUT GOING FOR A NIGERIAN ISED IS EVEN MORE DISTURBING. YOU HARDLY FIND LIFE IN VEHICLES USED IN NIGERIA AFTER 1 YEAR.

NO DEVELOPING COUNTRY COPIES AMERICA MOTORING STYLE.
IT IS EXTRAVAGANT AND DIFFICULT.

I understand that you meant American spec used car.
The reason their engines are big on average is that they drive on highways a lot and you will like to have the power when merging onto the highway. Fuel is cheap so there is absolutely nothing to deter you from getting a V6 or V8 vehicle. So with more of everything means more proven than your basic car that is why the Corolla is crowd favorite in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by nijanigga: 2:12am On Aug 10, 2016
I know many Nigerians who roll back odometer on cars before shipping them to Nigeria,most them with salvage title, nothing wrong in salvage titles but packing a car with hiding problems like a car in excellent condition can be very dangerous on the roads, some package them with bad tires.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by honmusa(m): 5:12am On Aug 10, 2016
contact autologic @ 08061166316 for a thorough and comprehensive car inspection service.
The aim of our inspection service is not only limited to fault finding alone but to help you get the best bargain with the seller by valuating the whole car based on well documented diagnostics report which will be used give you the true value of the present state of the car.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Nusaf: 5:17am On Aug 10, 2016
McReoz:
Is it so difficult to place a ban on "fairly used" or "Tokunbo" cars and ensure Nigerians buy only new cars. This would save us the troubles of going through the rigors of buying and using Tokunbo cars. The beauty of these is that it will reduce the ever increasing numbers of cars in the country, again i don't see any sense in someone or a family having 3 to 5 cars. Well what do i know.
Very good suggestion. It will go a long way in decongesting our roads especially Lagos. Some cars on our roads are just scraps and if u are not buoyant enough to buy new rides, exercise patience and save more if u must drive. This is why some of these danfo drivers misbehave cos if u allow them to scratch u, their vehicles are scraps already and they won't even come down to check, but they will remain in the vehicle and continue to apologise.

2 Likes

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Babsconsult02(m): 5:21am On Aug 10, 2016
There are still lot of dealers that will tell you the truth because they buy from endsuser before displaying to sell unlike given them to sell. They cant afford to buy robbish into there car stand.
some used cars are even better than some tokunbo, pray you don't buy flodded cars from abroad...

Don't go for cheap cars, there is always a reason for selling low unless you discover the seller needed money badly and there is a prof.

For: Classic Babs

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by nurey(m): 5:22am On Aug 10, 2016
sodams007:

Boss, do you by any chance know the price for the Mazda Millennia? What's your location pls?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know the price of the mazda, it won't be proper going about pricing cars I ain't interested in buying. Location of the said vehicle is Ikoyi Obalende

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Nusaf: 5:23am On Aug 10, 2016
Bifwoli:
Fraud started with northern coup leaders - the fraud was that they were fighting corruption and instituting reforms plus war on indiscipline only for them to loot big while handing Nigerian tax payers a more shitty country.
This is about the way some car dealers scam buyers not about Nigeria leadership.

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by cardoctor(m): 5:55am On Aug 10, 2016
Its all because of these crooked car dealers that I wrote this post. People are being scammed everyday.

Its all because of these crooked car dealers that I wrote this post. People are being scammed everyday.

Follow the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/3244787/before-buy-used-car-look

1 Like

Re: The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale by Nusaf: 5:58am On Aug 10, 2016
iwadobo:

Yeah, you are right . I know of a guy who bought a 'discussion continue' sold to him as 'EOD' . They changed the rear light and put that of 05 and he gullibly paid. On checking the 10th digitbof his VIN , and some other technical things, I told him, Mr, you have been duped successfully.But the dude wanted to argue before I did the VIN check for him to see the original shape and colour of his car. But before then, and in his shallow mind , he bought a Tokunbo directly from Cotonou .
But discussion continue are 06 to 07. So, if he paid for eod 05 and he was given discussion continue, which is more recent, in the form of eod, is it not better for him? Also, I don't understand, how can u replace the rear light of one of this two cars with the other? Except if u are talking about 03 to 05 in which case their trunks have the same shape. But the shape of the trunks of Honda 05 and 06 to 07 are entirely different.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Most Expensive Police Car In Various Countries / My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday / Specially Constructed Vehicle Spotted In Benue (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.