Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! (30579 Views)

Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House / My Fiancée Had An Incest Relationship With Her Cousin Years Back, I'm Devastated / Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by ojun50(m): 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2016
SafeAlhaji:
ok...o we shall see...And may God spare our life till and after then
Amen oh
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by dollyptosh(m): 9:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
wear clean underwear incase you faint and paramedics have to strip you naked for fresh air. you dont want ya inlaws seeing dat ya dirty underwear with plenty holes and skid marks
Comedian grin cheesy
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by blissbabe: 9:47pm On Aug 11, 2016
its wellits wellits well
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by George22016(m): 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
tosyne2much:
Spot on baba !!! cool
NA you NA tosyn2much.I visit your blogs often.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by bitingbody: 10:31pm On Aug 11, 2016
wear pink agbada and green canvas. ur day is made. congests
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Mariojane(f): 10:32pm On Aug 11, 2016
obitee69:

What do you think I can buy?
you dont have to buy anything personal. You can buy fruits and drinks. Nothing too much
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by tosyne2much(m): 10:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
George22016:

NA you NA tosyn2.much.I visit your blogs often.
Wooooow!! Thank you so much bro cool
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by VocalWalls: 12:15am On Aug 12, 2016
tosyne2much:
Egbon, e be like say e don tey wey u don dey go In-law house? cheesy cheesy

Lol...
Egbon, na just idea for head oh.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Niyinficient(m): 12:27am On Aug 12, 2016
CoCoLav:
Obie, is this the girl you met in April as referenced in your earlier post? Is this also the girl your parents do not like? Are you planning on marrying her just within 4 months of dating her?

In Shina Peters' voice "Jealousy Jealousy...na e dey worry you...."
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Queensmom4: 12:30am On Aug 12, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Naijageak(m): 3:53am On Aug 12, 2016
guy forget all the stress, be free, na wife u wan marry nor b work u de fyn... just chill, be your real self. just be moderate in your dressing, no suit just modestly moderate like my friend modestus... (I mean dress to fit not oversized cloths oh) be neat unless you are not..
go come, nor eat like the way u eat at home, remember what your father use to tell you about eating with mouth close, they might tempt you during breakfast to talk, talk with sense and never talk too much.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Sexiestprince(m): 7:21am On Aug 12, 2016
Dear girls if u follow ur fiancee to meet his Mother and she serve u food with 4 meats plz plz abeg eat only 1 and leave d rest for her..
It is a trap.
bitingcool:

2 Hajj allocation for this dude. wink cheesy
Dear girls if u follow ur fiancee to meet his Mother and she serve u food with 4 meats plz plz abeg eat only 1 and leave d rest for her..
It is a trap.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Consula: 7:52am On Aug 12, 2016
Bros just dress comfortably, either native or semi-formal (shirt and trousers). Ask u lady her father's favourite pass-time gist even if its politics (only don't try to impose ur views on the man). Try to let him lead in discussions, concur when talks flow along ur beliefs and just smile when its opposite. Make an impression ...dat of a getter, independent minded. Drop bits here and there of ur family (esp. ur father) as this gives him the impression that there is love an unity in ur family ( words like, sir, u know my father would say blah blah blah or my mother would have done exactly same). Elaborate on the good qualities of his dota (ur lady), not forgetting to balance it up by just one or too flaws (not really flaws as per say...sometin like she worries too much about little tins bla bla bla of which i keep telling her to go easy on hersef) hope u get my drift??
Finally, do not forget to stand up to greet ur host as soom as he steps into the living room it shows u r well groomed. Gifts ....yes, but don't overdo, if its in the city just a bottle of wine and a fully length stockfish for the mother ......thank me later.
obitee69:
Hey guys...I just popped the question and she said yes!!. Now her family is inviting me over for lunch this weekend. Please any useful tips? On style, dressing or composure? I hope I don't get nervous.

3 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by yattybanana(m): 8:32am On Aug 12, 2016
Nyceguy92:
Do not overdress to over impress..
I think dressing in suit is an overkill.

Put on neat regular shirt and trousers, or some simple but well sewn native wear.
One area of importance is your interaction - in the living room or at the dinning table.

Since the girl has said "Yes," chances are her parents won't say "No," so that should give you some measure of confidence.
Expected questions will be:
Where do you come from?
How about your parents?
School......?
Work.......?
Siblings....?

Otherwise, follow up as the mom, dad, or siblings raise the topics.
You may "lead" the dad to talk more on his growing up and business; this will fill the time and take the pressure off your neck.

As for gifts, don't forget a bottle of good wine and/or brandy - whichever her parents consume.
Also something the family consumes on regular basis - eg., beverages and bread - can be added.
You need to leave a mark when you are gone, so something the parents will stumble on around the house that reminds them of you will be fine.

This will be my classic approach if I were you.
@leaving a mark , give an instance bro
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by habsydiamond(m): 8:59am On Aug 12, 2016
Sometimes facing one's in-law is like sitting on the hot sit of who wants to be a millionaire. So Op u have to be confident and compose. May God help u.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Aladeope: 9:08am On Aug 12, 2016
Yoruba say dress the way u want to be addressed, pls wear native white with a mature aboki cap, when going,go with one of ur brother or a responsible frnd that is not shy,becos when you get there they might not talk to you it is you and that your frnd that will be talking underneath, and please to be respected try buy like 2 bottles of correct fruit wine that will be given to them when leaving becos they are going to entertain you and you have to show appreciation with that wine. pls don't give them moni so that you will not shoot yourself for leg. when introducing yourself be confidence and don't look their face, don't call yourself their daughter husband, say husband to be with der permission. when offer food don't finish all the food even if the food is not enough for you make sure u chop remain it shows how responsible you will be when starting a family. am talking frm experience pls don't frown do laugh but not loudable one. you no rich man laugh now do it moderately. best of luck.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by nan1: 9:43am On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
wear clean underwear incase you faint and paramedics have to strip you naked for fresh air. you dont want ya inlaws seeing dat ya dirty underwear with plenty holes and skid marks

falls from an iroko tree grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by fpeter(f): 9:58am On Aug 12, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
What if the papa na shayo master?

You can't get it wrong with NON alcoholic drinks, his mother in law might not like strong drinks, you know?
It is safer for him to go with non alcoholic beverages. It will also speak well of him as both major
religions in Nigeria actually condemn the consumption of alcohol.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by chinnyonwu(m): 11:00am On Aug 12, 2016
Naijageak:
guy forget all the stress, be free, na wife u wan marry nor b work u de fyn... just chill, be your real self . just be moderate in your dressing, no suit just modestly moderate like my friend modestus... (I mean dress to fit not oversized cloths oh) be neat unless you are not..
go come, nor eat like the way u eat at home remember what your father use to tell you about eating with mouth close, they might tempt you during breakfast to talk, talk with sense and never talk too much.
Contradiction.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Situation001(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
As funny as this sounds.. you have a point..

but y will someone wanna faint in his inlaw's house na.. grin

and @op.. also try to be in a State of sound health before you embark on such journey..
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by AlphaCentauri: 11:08am On Aug 12, 2016
Situation001:

As funny as this sounds.. you have a point..

but y will someone wanna faint in his inlaw's house na.. grin

and @op.. also try to be in a State of sound health before you embark on such journey..
bros you hear the guy na, he says he is very nervous. nervousness = fast heart rate tachycardia. fast heart rate = dizzy spells = fainting grin

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Ghost447(m): 1:53pm On Aug 12, 2016
I know you will dress properly. Say less than necessary, think twice before you answer any question, smile often, buy few bottles of wine (find out from your babe her dad's favourite wine, add CHAMDOR for her mum). You're good to go, it's not a formal introduction yet. Goodluck to you and pray for me to get mine.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Ghost447(m): 1:58pm On Aug 12, 2016
fpeter:

You can't get it wrong with NON alcoholic drinks, his mother in law might not like strong drinks, you know?
It is safer for him to go with non alcoholic beverages. It will also speak well of him as both major
religions in Nigeria actually condemn the consumption of alcohol.
Which "religions"?
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Isiji: 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
Vanillaskin:

He about to get married and last time I checked, marriage is for matured people.
People who can take tough decision, so I rest my case

now u are proving to us that u're matured bah ?

there are families who run things (education such 1st degree, M.Sc etc, taking over a business) for their children at early stage because what they their parents have missed in own time...maybe the dude is from such family, understood ?
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2016
Isiji:

now u are proving to us that u're matured bah ?

there are families who run things (education such 1st degree, M.Sc etc, taking over a business) for their children at early stage because what they their parents have missed in own time...maybe the dude is from such family, understood ?
Let me get this straight, you are trying to tell me that there are families who they make decisions for their children like which course to study et all.
Well in that case those children should kontinue to go meet their parents for help on how to get married and while they are doing such they should not forget ask their parents to teach them how to be matured and independent
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Nyceguy92: 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2016
yattybanana:
@leaving a mark , give an instance bro

I was referring to the beverages and bread, as an
example.

When you leave, the family is going to use them for some days. Each time they use it, they will recall who gave it to them. They will see you as thoughtful.

Or you can ask your lady what her dad or mom likes.
My father in-law likes Quaker Oats a lot. In fact, the best gift you can get him is Quaker Oats.

Please do not buy shirts and perfumes, etc.
It has not gotten to that stage for more permanent gifts.
What you need is something that lasts just few days and it's gone.

If you are in doubt what to get, buy beverages, good quality bread, custard, some bananas and groundnuts.
Some supermarkets good quality, well-packaged varities.

Please let us know how it went.
I will be interested to know what questions they asked you.

More luck.
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Situation001(m): 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
bros you hear the guy na, he says he is very nervous. nervousness = fast heart rate tachycardia. fast heart rate = dizzy spells = fainting grin

L cheesy L
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Roh50(f): 9:55am On Aug 13, 2016
oluwafreshkid:
cheesy you defied the odds of this buhari economy and popped the question. Big ups man!

Go traditional. You can never go wrong in white, add a blue cap.

Composure? You should be used to a part of her family already na, be it siblings or mother.
Don't famz the dad o, cos he ain't happy that you're nacking his daughter.

Don't wear matching outfits with ur fiancee. No gallas or any funy haircuts. And don't do touch touch, we are Africans ooo.

Don't talk politics ooo... the father maybe APC. Lol.

Be confident, sharp and clean. Be matured.

The best advice I have ever seen on nairaland. Witty, classic and good advice.
Oluwafreshkid keep it up

Op, he has said it all.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by oluwafreshkid(m): 10:31am On Aug 13, 2016
Roh50:

The best advice I have ever seen on nairaland. Witty, classic and good advice.
Oluwafreshkid keep it up

Op, he has said it all.

Muah... thanks hon.

I only try to be candid with a twist of humor wink

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Isiji: 9:59am On Aug 15, 2016
Vanillaskin:

Let me get this straight, you are trying to tell me that there are families who they make decisions for their children like which course to study et all.
Well in that case those children should kontinue to go meet their parents for help on how to get married and while they are doing such they should not forget ask their parents to teach them how to be matured and independent

maybe the likes of Dokpesi Son (New CEO of AIT/Ray Power), Nigeria bigger Telecom giant (Globacom) Son will convinced u what i meant and others at the lower cadre of business enterprise in nigeria
Re: Meeting My Fiancée's Parents For The First Time! by Viking007(m): 10:49pm On Dec 21, 2018
AlphaCentauri:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lawyer Oladapo Ogundipe With Seven Children As Lawyers (Law Family) / US Man Going Through Divorce Crashes Dump Truck Into Wife's Home & Cars (Video) / Recently Married Woman Missing In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.