Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners (20264 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by jegz25(m): 7:17am On Aug 10, 2016
ernesty20:
U No Go Blame Them Nah, As Pa Buhari Don Turn Everything For This We Country Upside Them
am sure 1 day u will blame Buhari 4 ur carry over in school,cox u seems olodo
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by goldman777: 7:20am On Aug 10, 2016
Well remedy i have is i bought a blue tooth obd2 device in which i attach under my car a toyota sienna connector under d steering.this connector is located in different parts of different types of cars.i download an obd2 s scanning app from google play like torque.it gives me codes list dat can be like dis p0242,p123 i go online to find out d meaning on google typing d make of d car.e.g toyota,mazda and i get d fault of d car interpreted to me.i then take my car to d mechanic telling wat i want fixed in my car.This device has saved me hundreds of thousands of naira from dubious mechanics and this obd2 bluetooth device i attach to my car obd2 connector cost me only 15k.many mechanics on nairaland are not gonna like me for giving out this info grin. U can add me on watsaap or for promo price of 12k

2 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Araoluwa005(m): 7:22am On Aug 10, 2016
titosantana:

And you had to post your pix? Ode!
thanks for calling me ode

2 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by 2ts: 7:22am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
first to comment for the first time in 6 months. I am so happy

Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being banned.

Na first to comment no be first to advertise artwork.

U r banned. Gbam
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Araoluwa005(m): 7:26am On Aug 10, 2016
2ts:

Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being banned.
Na first to comment no be first to advertise artwork.
U r banned. Gbam
hahahaha how is that advert to you?
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by realestniggah: 7:29am On Aug 10, 2016
the only diagnosis our mechanics knows is.."oga nah radiator"

grin grin
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by wilsonbright: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2016
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by wildchild1: 7:37am On Aug 10, 2016
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by san316(m): 7:40am On Aug 10, 2016
They will tell you to buy new parts but will fix the one they claim is faulty and charge for a new one.

Animals.

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Kashif(m): 7:48am On Aug 10, 2016
goldman777:
Well remedy i have is i bought a blue tooth obd2 device in which i attach under my car a toyota sienna connector under d steering.this connector is located in different parts of different types of cars.i download an obd2 s scanning app from google play like torque.it gives me codes list dat can be like dis p0242,p123 i go online to find out d meaning on google typing d make of d car.e.g toyota,mazda and i get d fault of d car interpreted to me.i then take my car to d mechanic telling wat i want fixed in my car.This device has saved me hundreds of thousands of naira from dubious mechanics and this obd2 bluetooth device i attach to my car obd2 connector cost me only 15k.many mechanics on nairaland are not gonna like me for giving out this info grin

How you are feeling...

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by veacea: 7:48am On Aug 10, 2016
I hired a plumber to fix something in th house f me and he lied to me, as someone who is also a DIY person I confronted him and asked why he lied. His reply was oga " we learn the art of lying even before mastering the actual skill.
dejavubobo1:
From tailor, carpenter, plumber, mechanics and drivers are even worse than mechanics
U'll always hear "oga we ll change ds or dat, fuel don finish, papers no complete"

Naija I hail mehn...

Nothing in Nigeria is genuine, all artisans have the trait imbedded in them... It's like they train specially for it
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by vikeyz(m): 7:50am On Aug 10, 2016
Knowledge is power
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by goldman777: 7:52am On Aug 10, 2016
Kashif:

How you are feeling...

I feel free from mechanic lies grin
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by tonio2wo: 7:53am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
See as u old reach, dey follow do FTC like small pikin. angry

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by femi4: 7:58am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
You don old pass this one now. I don't want to call you a fool this early morning

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by cardoctor(m): 7:59am On Aug 10, 2016
I really wonder which mechanics you are talking about. There is no profession in Nigeria today that does not reek of dishonest people. Lawyers, Doctors, Engineers, Architects, Politicians, Police, Bankers....etc are all guilty.

The list goes on but the lowly paid professions pose more risks although it generally depends on the individual that you may be dealing with. Most are well below the bread line and just want to put food on the table for that day and hope for another in the next. They appear vulnerable to you that's why you want to cash is on the cheap labour that they seem to offer.

I think it also depends on where and whom you take your car to for repairs. Many car owners such as this op, prefer to patronize roadside mechanics because labour is usually cheap and they ego trip as they do that because they see themselves as the better privileged in the society simply because they own a car that has to be fixed by a low esteemed, illiterate, tattered and hungry looking mechanic. They are usually financially scared to use reputable modern workshops and would rather settle for the road side kazzeem.

Most of the poorly skilled technicians don't care about good reputation or integrity. They simply take advantage of the fact that penny wise pound foolish guys would come to them for their car repairs. Presenting cheap labour and in the end, scamming on parts prices and more importantly, quality of the part being fitted. If you go to Apo in Abuja or Ladipo in Lagos looking for a mechanic to fix your car then you may be setting yourself up for a scam. One way or the other you may likely fall victim to the parts sellers as well as the mechanics.

Using well established auto care workshops with modern equipments and technical intellect could make the big difference but it comes with a price because setting up a reputable car repair workshop costs a lot of money. Professional equipments for advanced diagnostics, repairs and programming are very expensive. The professional skill to deliver a good job on a modern car takes years of experience and training to acquire. That's what you are paying for and stop jumping around from one workshop to the other.

Establishing a good rapport with your mechanic could help maintain honesty and confidence when dealing with your car issues. Its not all about the money all the time if you make your mechanic your friend.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by canDy4eva(f): 8:02am On Aug 10, 2016
Targatarga:
These are so true...... Infact d list is not complete..
Note... I don't have a car but have an ideal
you don't own a car. Your not a mechanic. No wonder you have an ideal. Well done.

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by simplynola(m): 8:04am On Aug 10, 2016
That's why mechanics can't make heaven, they try to eat all their rewards on earth. "Just thinking loud"
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by erico2k2(m): 8:06am On Aug 10, 2016
Teewhy2:
This is so true and I just experienced it of recent as well, my car is having an increase in temperature on the temperature gauge than usual, it goes above average and stop unlike before where it stops at the middle on temperature gauge . The mechanic convinced me that it is the radiator that is the problem that I should change it from a single cell radiator to a double cell radiator and he was so confident that I bought it and after changing it The problem persist, he said the thermostat is not good that we should run it without it first and see if it is the problem which we have done and still the problem continue, I had to shout on him yesterday when he said the problem should be temperature switch, I told him I don't have money to waste on things he is not sure about, it is better I take the car for scanning not all this trial and error thing he is doing and he was even trying to defend what he is doing that its the right thing to do.
Can you imagine after spending about 25k on the problem in this economic recession period I am yet to solve the problem. I know that is what many other customers suffer in the hands of our Nigeria mechanic
Good and scan your car and most importantly re install your thermostat ASAP as a matter of urgency .
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nusaf: 8:11am On Aug 10, 2016
If u have a good mechanic and u treat him well, I don't think u will have any problem except if he didn't notice any impending fault. It is also important u give him the impression that he can lose u if he attempts to play fast one on u. I'm talking from experience. Infact, even if my car doesn't develop any fault after a month in which case it is due for servicing, I simply give him the key for servicing and diagnosis of any unnoticed fault. Sometimes he even crack jokes that I'm always looking for fault as if I want the car to develop one.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by ernesty20(m): 8:14am On Aug 10, 2016
jegz25:
am sure 1 day u will blame Buhari 4 ur carry over in school,cox u seems olodo
So What Do U Mean
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Kashif(m): 8:15am On Aug 10, 2016
goldman777:

I feel free from mechanic lies grin

Don't worry, when you need diagnosis, you will realise what you call a scanner is just DIY toy. grin grin Then you will look for a pro.

You said you save hundreds of thousands? Bro, I need that your code reader o!
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by TL1960: 8:17am On Aug 10, 2016
Emeka71:
Mechanics are always poving smart.

Sadly we still need them.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by LivinaPatrick(f): 8:29am On Aug 10, 2016
Wonderful
goldman777:
Well remedy i have is i bought a blue tooth obd2 device in which i attach under my car a toyota sienna connector under d steering.this connector is located in different parts of different types of cars.i download an obd2 s scanning app from google play like torque.it gives me codes list dat can be like dis p0242,p123 i go online to find out d meaning on google typing d make of d car.e.g toyota,mazda and i get d fault of d car interpreted to me.i then take my car to d mechanic telling wat i want fixed in my car.This device has saved me hundreds of thousands of naira from dubious mechanics and this obd2 bluetooth device i attach to my car obd2 connector cost me only 15k.many mechanics on nairaland are not gonna like me for giving out this info grin
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Chuksyno(m): 8:46am On Aug 10, 2016
ernesty20:
U No Go Blame Them Nah, As Pa Buhari Don Turn Everything For This We Country Upside Them
The thing wey op write here don tee wey e dey happen and nobi buhari mata.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Ghost447(m): 9:05am On Aug 10, 2016
titosantana:

And you had to post your pix? Ode!
His painting I guess.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by ogoplus: 9:07am On Aug 10, 2016
scarr:
how can we stop kabiru and his cohorts from extorting us

How I have avoided Kabiru..... for sometime now...

1. I have become more conversant with my car.....
2. Got an obd2 scanner download codes and research codes
3. Google, YouTube and Nairaland
4. Use your owner's manual as reference
5. If 1 to 4 is too much for you then check Nairaland for car repair shop with good reviews.

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 10, 2016
Save urself from Mechanic Problems!!!
Save urself from Extortion from Ur Mechanics!!!

J-316 Scanner is a portable bluetooth device that helps to scan, diagnose and offer technical advice on how to fix ur car.
Apart from these, it also helps to wipe unwanted displays on ur dashboard. This device saves u alot of money in the long run.

*** Key point is that u don't need to step out of ur home to diagnose ur car***
***It pin points the issue to u before visiting a mechanic***

We presently have agents in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Owerri to attend to u.

##Installation is simple and free##

Price is N15k Only Per Device.

Chat me up on 08036892360 for more details.

Cheers.

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by goldman777: 9:19am On Aug 10, 2016
Kashif:

Don't worry, when you need diagnosis, you will realise what you call a scanner is just DIY toy. grin grin Then you will look for a pro.

You said you save hundreds of thousands? Bro, I need that your code reader o!
Na now u dey confess u need my code reader send me an email il get back to you
Or watsappme or call 08146923846
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by TheAlchemist: 9:21am On Aug 10, 2016
Deliberately damaging one of your pressure hoses with any small object, while in the course of routine service of your vehicle.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by goldman777: 9:23am On Aug 10, 2016
Add me on watsapp 08146923846 discount sales on obd scanning device 12k hurry while stocks last
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by ifeanyi83(m): 9:29am On Aug 10, 2016
The most annoying part is when they say "Tonkunbo" part is better than a "New" one....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice On Long Distance Journey / The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? / Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.