Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,626 members, 7,770,683 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:57 PM

Smelly Palm Oil - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Smelly Palm Oil (7452 Views)

Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? / What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? / Lol:food-hungry Lagosians Hack On Dead, Smelly Whale - Food Is Ready (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smelly Palm Oil by pymexys(f): 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2006
there is a kind of palm oil that is most common in the western states(nigeria).the oil gives off a bad smell whenever u’re using it in cooking. the yoruba’s(I mean no offence, please) always use it, at home, and even in their buka’s and restaurants. Palm oil from the east doesn’t smell like that, infact, when I was serving in ogun state, anytime I go to the market, I  buy palm oil only from the igbo market women, ’cos they bring theirs from the east. I just want to know, whats responsible for that smell, what causes it. Some pple say its differences in the processing method of the palm fruits, if so ,how? or is it that it’s a different specie of palm tree that grows in the east?
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by omoge(f): 9:08am On Mar 08, 2007
you are right. there are some soup i love that palm oil in but not egusi, i think it is good with apon or ogbono soup. other than that no other soup i can think of. at some point, i lived in the western nigeria so i know that oil real good and we used to term it 'yoruba oil' no offence o. so strong aroma,

my mom always ask me to buy Igbo oil which is way expensive but that is her kind of oil and the one her people uses in the Southern part of nigeria.
I don't shop for the yoruba oil but i eat some meal prep in it with my friends.

maybe they store it for a long time to ferment and have that aroma.
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by spoilt(f): 7:49pm On Mar 14, 2007
i know that chemicals are added to some palm oils to make it redder and attractive to the eye. that could explain the strange smell.
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by mushibola: 10:51am On Mar 19, 2007
i really cant say where d comes from but its always annoying wen u buy such
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by ikamefa(f): 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2007
smell or no smell i need some for my puter ASAP! tongue
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by Uche2nna(m): 9:59pm On Mar 19, 2007
It partly has to do with the method of preparation. I served in Ondo state and saw how they processed thier palm oil. It was very different from our own method of processing.
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by Crownvilla(m): 1:58am On Aug 16, 2007
There is a brand of palm oil that smells funny and tastes a bit like soap!
Re: Smelly Palm Oil by ajuwarhodes(f): 11:40am On Dec 26, 2014
No wonder ur had very few response

(1) (Reply)

Do You Use Spices? See This!! / U Love Food?? She Loves U Too / Health Benefits Of Date Fruit (dabino)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.