Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection (38733 Views)

Help: Please How Much Will It Cost Me? Sketch Picture Attached / How Much It Will Cost Me To Build 3 Bedroom / How Much Would It Cost Me To Complete This 3Bedroom Bungalow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 11:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protection my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protection

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by mufutau55(m): 12:54am On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protector in my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protector

Where? Mine and many others here cost only between 75-80k for a duplex house..
Tell him to list the materials and Labor and then post it here so we can shame the electrician.
Where is your location?

Hajji M.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Enyimbamercedes: 4:32am On Aug 11, 2016
Which one again is Thunder protector? The only protection, if needed, from thunder is to use ear plugs. However, lightning protector is a different matter. It's simply a three prong spike placed at the highest point of the house with a metal wire running into the earth. There is no room connections to it so I don't think it should cost as much as they quoted. I have some questions though:
1. Why do you been it for a one storey building?
2. Is you area lightning prone?
3. Do you have a pointed roof ? Lighting would usually be pulled towards a pointed object which is why spikes are used aso conductors so if you have a flat roof, I don't think you are in any danger.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 4:41am On Aug 11, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:
Which one again is Thunder protector? The only protection, if needed, from thunder is to use ear plugs. However, lightning protector is a different matter. It's simply a three prong spike placed at the highest point of the house with a metal wire running into the earth. There is no room connections to it so I don't think it should cost as much as they quoted. I have some questions though:
3. Do you have a pointed roof ? Lighting would usually be pulled towards a pointed object which is why spikes are used aso conductors so if you have a flat roof, I don't think you are in any danger.

Respectfully, you're completely wrong.

It might interest you to do more research.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 4:43am On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protector in my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protector

OP, did you meant to type N87,000 and you mistakenly typed N387,000?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Enyimbamercedes: 5:57am On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Respectfully, you're completely wrong.

It might interest you to do more research.

Kindly send me a link to research on thunder protection. Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 5:58am On Aug 11, 2016
mufutau55:

Tell him to list the materials and Labor and then post it here so we can shame the electrician.
Where is your location?

Hajji M.
OK thanks I will tell him . The location is owerri
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 6:01am On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

OP, did you meant to type N87,000 and you mistakenly typed N387,000?

I mean 387,000 naira is that too much
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 6:04am On Aug 11, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:

Thanks you mean there is no need to connect any wire in in each of the rooms as the Electrican told me

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:

I mean 387,000 naira is that too much

Yes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:

Thanks you mean there is no need to connect any wire in in each of the rooms as the Electrican told me

Please validate what I'm about to say with a licensed electrician in Nigeria as my wiring is based on USA methods.

The grounding of your electrical system happens in the distribution box.

Each outlet from that distribution box gets a ground wire by default in a 3 wire system so I'm not sure why there will be a special grounding wire in each room.

Ping @allCopacetic, he's the guvnor grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 6:48am On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Please validate what I'm about to say with a licensed electrician in Nigeria as my wiring is based on USA methods.

The grounding of your electrical system happens in the distribution box.

Each outlet from that distribution box gets a ground wire by default in a 3 wire system so I'm not sure why there will be a special grounding wire in each room.

Ping @allCopacetic, he's the guvnor grin

Ok thanks
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Enyimbamercedes: 12:51pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:

Abeg oo... i obsarv that someone said i was completely wrong. So i think you should listen to them ooo. You asked about thunder protection so my answer was strictly about protecting from thunder lightning. However what i am reading below is about grounding of your household electrical system.
However, i stand by my post that lightning protection, is simply , putting a lightning conductor on your roof (essentially a spiked rod) and grounding it through a metal strip.

I still await the research link on thunder protection though smiley

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:

Kindly send me a link to research on thunder protection. Thank you.

It's not my job to educate you Sir.

Good day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Enyimbamercedes: 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Good day.

Very easy to say its completely wrong but hard to point out what portion was wrong...

Well done Saaaaaa!!!!

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 4:10pm On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Good day.
Oga,
He is actually right.The correct terminology is LIGHTNING ARRESTER . The thunder is the sound and you can only use ear plugs or sound mufflers to arrest that one. However, the lightning is the charge which we want to arrest. I want to believe we are dealing with charges in this topic. I am very certain you even have more ideas than I do of what I am talking about.
But for some reasons people generally call it thunder arrestor even some so called professionals. I guess they are speaking the language people can easily understand which is what communication is all about.
@ Enyimbamercedes, .But you could just have pointed out that the terminology is wrong. Let's move on please.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
danowena:

Oga,
He is actually right.The correct terminology is LIGHTENING ARRESTER . The thunder is the sound and you can only use ear plugs or sound mufflers to arrest that one. However, the lightening is the charge which we want to arrest. I want to believe we are dealing with charges in this topic. I am very certain you even have more ideas than I do of what I am talking about.
But for some reasons people generally call it thunder arrestor even some so called professional. I guess they are speaking the language people can easily understand which is what communication is all about.
@ Enyimbamercedes, .But you could just have pointed out that the terminology is wrong. Let's move on please.

I don't debate misspells, etc that's elementary.

His entire premise of what buildings require protection is faulty.

But to each his own.

PS: I've always wondered afar what's caused this concrete buildings to catch fire and burn robustly and as I spend more time on NL I'm beginning to find my answers.

All I'll say is that homeowners should do necessary due diligence.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:

Very easy to say its completely wrong but hard to point out what portion was wrong...

Well done Saaaaaa!!!!

I understand how you feel.

It's actually not hard at all to post evidence that your premise is faulty, I just choose not to.

I prefer that you do your own knowledge gathering since you have internet access.

We've discussed this same issue in this section recently and I posted various research.

I'm not interested in doing that all over. I'm comfortable with my conscience because I told you that you're wrong, now it's up to you to study up. Or not.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 5:31pm On Aug 11, 2016
mufutau55:

Where is your location?

Hajji M.

Oga hajj. Can u share the number of the electrician that fixed your lightning arrester? I am getting a bill of 300k.
Please treat as urgent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by danowena: 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I don't debate misspells, etc that's elementary.

His entire premise of what buildings require protection is faulty.

But to each his own.

PS: I've always wondered afar what's caused this concrete buildings to catch fire and burn robustly and as I spend more time on NL I'm beginning to find my answers.

All I'll say is that homeowners should do necessary due diligence.

I feel u sir.
*lightning*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by mufutau55(m): 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2016
danowena:

Oga hajj. Can u share the number of the electrician that fixed your lightning arrester? I am getting a bill of 300k.
Please treat as urgent.

Send me an email.. I will send you list of needed materials too. I don't like posting my info or others in public forum.
And nice paints you are getting.smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Enyimbamercedes: 6:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I understand how you feel.

It's actually not hard at all to post evidence that your premise is faulty, I just choose not to.

I prefer that you do your own knowledge gathering since you have internet access.

We've discussed this same issue in this section recently and I posted various research.

I'm not interested in doing that all over. I'm comfortable with my conscience because I told you that you're wrong, now it's up to you to study up. Or not.

OK Saa!!! I've noticed you and your intellectual prowess.

24 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by topsy23: 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protection my house the house is one storey building . The electrician told me it will cost me 387,000 naira because of the dollar rate is too high now. I want to know if it's true which materials will I need to buy.the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protection

The amount is much. Is your electrician installing indelic called lightning preventron? If it is a normal spike that normally install on the roof, less than 100k should be able to cater for it except the electrician is installing another brand of lightning arrestor called ESSEX. This type is very expensive. For the normal arrestor below is the materials needed:

1. Copper tape
2. Tape clip
3. Tonado nail
4. Earth rod
5. Earth clamp
6. Spike
7. Earth coupler(if u are using more than one earth rod)

Visit this thread more information on Earthing and Bonding system.
https://www.nairaland.com/2316228/importance-proper-earthing-bonding-system

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 9:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:

I believe your premise @ bolded is what egunmogaji alluded to as wrong, not your correct use of the term "lightning" as against "thunder"

(1) if the building sits alone within a wide radius and on a high altitude, its at risk even if its just one storey
(2) usually its safer to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it. climate change adds alot of variables. an area that is not prone today might become prone tommorrow .
(3) lightning will strike or be drawn to the highest conducting point within a particular radius , it doesnt necessarily have to be ad pointed object. the essence of the pointed or spike shape is to localize or concentrate the attraction and flow. the gradual flow of charge from the point of the lightning rod will prevent the atmospheric charge from becoming large enough to avalanche... producing a lightning stroke.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 9:38pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lajet:
I want to know how much it will cost me to put thunder protection my house the house is one storey building . the Electrican also told me that he need to buy wires that he will use connect for each of the 14 rooms to fix the thunder protection
A nairalander once contacted me for cables and i noticed there werent any earthing cables on his list. I drew his attention to it and he said his electrician said it wasnt necessary since a lightning protection system will be installed. I was shocked.

the Lightning protection system and the electrical supply earthing or grounding system are two different entities that serve very different purposes and should never be interconnected.

It is very very dangerous to ground your power points via the same system as your lightning arrestor. you're creating a possible return path for the charge into your building

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by peaceland(m): 10:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
[quote author=allCopacetic post=48401494]
A nairalander once contacted me for cables and i noticed there werent any earthing cables on his list. I drew his attention to it and he said his electrician said it wasnt necessary since a lightning protection system will be installed. I wa

@ allCopacetic,
in layman terms and possibly with pictorial examples; what do you mean by earthing cables dir
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 11, 2016
allCopacetic:

I believe your premise @ bolded is what egunmogaji alluded to as wrong, not your correct use of the term "lightning" as against "thunder"

(1) if the building sits alone within a wide radius and on a high altitude, its at risk even if its just one storey
(2) usually its safer to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it. climate change adds alot of variables. an area that is not prone today might become prone tommorrow .
(3) lightning will strike or be drawn to the highest conducting point within a particular radius , it doesnt necessarily have to be ad pointed object. the essence of the pointed or spike shape is to localize or concentrate the attraction and flow. the gradual flow of charge from the point of the lightning rod will prevent the atmospheric charge from becoming large enough to avalanche... producing a lightning stroke.

You're correct sir.

Not sure why this assumption that bungalows don't need protection keeps coming up.

Folks can laugh at me all they want but in a country where risk is a national sport:

If you travel, Peace Mass Transit or Dangote truck they wait.

If I buy medicine, na fake Chinese one.

If I buy food, cholera dey there.

It's in my best interest to listen to institutions like MIT and their studies that shows that lightning has struck any and everything imaginable.

Just because we don't have government oversight doesn't mean that us as homeowners should throw building standards and codes out of the window.

Thank you Sir.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 11:48pm On Aug 11, 2016
allCopacetic:

A nairalander once contacted me for cables and i noticed there werent any earthing cables on his list. I drew his attention to it and he said his electrician said it wasnt necessary since a lightning protection system will be installed. I was shocked.

the Lightning protection system and the electrical supply earthing or grounding system are two different entities that serve very different purposes and should never be interconnected.

It is very very dangerous to ground your power points via the same system as your lightning arrestor. you're creating a possible return path for the charge into your building
OK Thanks
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by Lajet: 11:49pm On Aug 11, 2016
topsy23:

The amount is much. Is your electrician installing indelic called lightning preventron? If it is a normal spike that normally install on the roof, less than 100k should be able to cater for it except the electrician is installing another brand of lightning arrestor called ESSEX. This type is very expensive. For the normal arrestor below is the materials needed:

1. Copper tape
2. Tape clip
3. Tonado nail
4. Earth rod
5. Earth clamp
6. Spike
7. Earth coupler(if u are using more than one earth rod)

Visit this thread more information on Earthing and Bonding system.
https://www.nairaland.com/2316228/importance-proper-earthing-bonding-system
Thanks
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're correct sir.

Not sure why this assumption that bungalows don't need protection keeps coming up.

Folks can laugh at me all they want but in a country where risk is a national sport:

If you travel, Peace Mass Transit or Dangote truck they wait.

If I buy medicine, na fake Chinese one.

If I buy food, cholera dey there.

It's in my best interest to listen to institutions like MIT and their studies that shows that lightning has struck any and everything imaginable.

Just because we don't have government oversight doesn't mean that us as homeowners should throw building standards and codes out of the window.

Thank you Sir.
Lol, to be honest We Nigerians are generally risk takers by nature. If a thing doesnt pose a 'proven" direct or impending threat or risk, then we're really not worried. afterall many who have installed it have never had a lightning situation anyways so. why waste the money.
But in truth its like buying insurance. better safe than sorry.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by allCopacetic: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2016
[quote author=peaceland post=48403187][/quote]
the green or yellow cables that run (should run) from every power point (sockets, w/heater switches. cooker control etc) to the DB (which is in turn connected to an earth conductor(e/rod) buried in the ground.
Re: I Want To Know How Much It will Cost me To Put Thunder Protection by peaceland(m): 6:02pm On Aug 12, 2016
allCopacetic:

the green or yellow cables that run (should run) from every power point (sockets, w/heater switches. cooker control etc) to the DB (which is in turn connected to an earth conductor(e/rod) buried in the ground.
Thanks sir,
I understand the wire from the buried conductors to the DB. What I was confused about were the ones from points to DB. All the wires looks same to me just different sizes. Dont mind my unlearned talks. Was thinking based on your post that such wires are distinctively different and named different..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

High Tension Wire On A House Pillar: Your Opinion On This Picture / Abbco Towers Sharjah, UAE Gutted By Fire (Video) / Ikoyi Collapsed Building: Style Of Rescuing Can Even Kill, Lady Yells At NEMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.