Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

The Earth's Rotation In Relation To The Circle. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Earth's Rotation In Relation To The Circle. (411 Views)

The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Earth's Rotation In Relation To The Circle. by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 11, 2016
Today, I am gonna describe the earth's rotational movement and its relation to a circle.

It takes the earth 24 hours to make a complete rotation. 24 hours is equals to 360 degrees in a circle. Now dividing the circle into 4 equal sectors each of 90 degrees, makes each sector equals to 6 hours, so it takes the earth 6 hours to rotate 90 degrees. Dividing each sector into 2 equal parts would give 3hrs and 45 degrees each. The polar radius of the earth is 6,357 km, so using area of a circle (note: I would be using # in place of pi):

#rr
# = 3.14
r = 6,357 km

3.14 * 6357 * 6357 = 126891949.9 cm2

The above result is the rotational area of the earth. The sectorial area reached by the earth during its rotation would be represented using area of a sector (I would be using @ in place of theta)

(@/360)#rr

Recall, a sector in this case is 90 degrees,

@ = 90 degrees

(90/360) * 3.14 * 6357 * 6357 = 31722987.47 cm2.

The above result is the sectorial area achieved by the earth's rotational movement within 6 hours and is 1/4 of the total area of its rotation.

In 3 hours the earth would have rotated an angle of 45 degrees and would have reached a sectorial area of 15861493.74 cm2 which is 1/2 of that reached by its rotation in 6 hours and 1/8 of its total rotational area.

Got questions about this? Bring them and I would gladly try to answer.
Re: The Earth's Rotation In Relation To The Circle. by freeDR(m): 6:25am On Aug 11, 2016
Since the rotational axis of the Earth is longitudinal, i.e, it rotates on it's polar axis, the relevant radius in your calculation should be the equatorial radius. This derives from the fact that distances and sectoral area measurements are done with reference to the equatorial and latitudinal circumferences.. ..... My take.
Re: The Earth's Rotation In Relation To The Circle. by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 11, 2016
freeDR:
Since the rotational axis of the Earth is longitudinal, i.e, it rotates on it's polar axis, the relevant radius in your calculation should be the equatorial radius. This derives from the fact that distances and sectoral area measurements are done with reference to the equatorial and latitudinal circumferences.. ..... My take.

Thanks, I will work on that.

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Nigerian Businesses Should Take Cyber Security Seriously / Have You Been Experiencing Poor Network Service Since Data Hike Suspension / Security Alert! 3.2 Million Debit Cards May Be Vulnerable To Security Breach; SB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.