Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint (62588 Views)

The Insanely Colourful, Elaborate, Custom Coffins From Ghana (photos) / Oyinbo Men In Enugu Drinking Palm Wine And Local Dish (Photos) / Sultan Of Sokoto Sponsors Elaborate Durban To Celebrate Oba Of Benin (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 11:46am On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
not 30s, 1928. it is documented picture in the archives

Do you mind providing a link?
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 11:49am On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

I have definitely seen more non-Igbos comment on the number of light skinned Igbos than Igbo people themselves. The only reason some Igbos bring it up is because so many non-Igbos like to comment on it. To us, it's normal.
nah, it is because of your chest-beating that everyone brings up stuff on you. FACTS. you never hear people bringing up issues on hausa or benin or fulani people who are lightskin because they never make it an issue. but i have seen millions of igbo chestbeat about how they are lightskin and better looking because they are lightskin. if you agree with me press LIKE

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 11:52am On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

Do you mind providing a link?
more pictures of yorubas in 1928. our women were even crossing their legs like sophisticated people do in 1928. this picture is kinda small though

3 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Danfuster(m): 11:55am On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
even in black and white pictures you can tell who is lightskin or not. its real easy. look at this black and white picture of yorubas. you can tell who is lightskin amongst themwww.nairaland.com/attachments/2022119_15338174637970703929532107524033n_jpeg798897f4566fa6573ec4759d7c6e3d51

Hoooohoo!... Why are you waisting your time schooling this one angry angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 11:57am On Aug 12, 2016
Danfuster:

Hoooohoo!... Why are you waisting your time schooling this one angry angry
grin grin that picture is funny as heck. is that olamide ?
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Danfuster(m): 11:59am On Aug 12, 2016
Keenlooka:

While you work on your diction...

Lmao...nigga, bĂ­tch... Which ever it is just shot itself in the leg grin grin grin
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 12, 2016
Look at the muscles on the second one.
Ohlala grin grin
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 12, 2016
funmijoyb:
That's why d yorubas of d oyo empire gave them d name IGBO which translated to bush people.
sister I love u
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Danfuster(m): 12:07pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
more pictures of yorubas in 1928. our women were even crossing their legs like sophisticated people do in 1928. this picture is kinda small though

You can also see the lady sitting next to the one wearing sunglasses; she sat like a Queen with her legs crossed and to the side despite her wrapper was over her knee.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Danfuster(m): 12:09pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
grin grin that picture is funny as heck. is that olamide ?

Lol... No bro, that's just some guy jonzing
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 12:09pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:

That's a cool picture but you still don't provide the evidence that shows the date of when these pictures were taken. See this picture, for example, is of an Igbo masquerade and was included in G.T. Basden's book about the Igbos. The book was published in the 1930's so we can deduce that it was taken at this period of time.

9 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
nah, it is because of your chest-beating that everyone brings up stuff on you. FACTS. you never hear people bringing up issues on hausa or benin or fulani people who are lightskin because they never make it an issue. but i have seen millions of igbo chestbeat about how they are lightskin and better looking because they are lightskin. if you agree with me press LIKE

Stop fishing for likes. From what I've seen on Nairaland and in real life, most of the people who comment on Igbos being light skinned are not Igbo. The only reason some Igbos comment on it is because they've seen non-Igbos commenting on it before. Seeing light skinned people is normal for us.

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Gassa007: 12:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
Danfuster:
OK... So igbos claim they are light skinned people by nature but I don't see any traits of fairness in the pic so far. Seeing some of them being ridiculously light skinned today; could it be that the white men ravaged their women?! undecided

Same way west Indians exist today. They took Indians, they took black people, put them in the Caribbean and tens of decade later Rihanna happened.

Go figure: this could be why igbos claim they're not Nigerian but Biafrans grin
You see yourself, was there color camera then.Haba
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by benny4wax(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
Pls, am I the only sane nairalander seeing those firm standing bwests? Proudly an Igbo man.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by panditocracy(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
Danfuster:
OK... So igbos claim they are light skinned people by nature but I don't see any traits of fairness in the pic so far. Seeing some of them being ridiculously light skinned today; could it be that the white men ravaged their women?! undecided

Same way west Indians exist today. They took Indians, they took black people, put them in the Caribbean and tens of decade later Rihanna happened.

Go figure: this could be why igbos claim they're not Nigerian but Biafrans grin

Are you a half wit? Or an 1mbecile?
Don't you know that most pictures taken then we're in greyscale ie black and white.

I tire for all these kids in nairaland. Mtcheew.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2016
Danfuster:

You can also see the lady sitting next to the one wearing sunglasses; she sat like a Queen with her legs crossed and to the side despite her wrapper was over her knee.
oduduwa people have being classy since we dropped from the sky down to earth. oduduwa always keeping it classy. grin

5 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

Stop fishing for likes. From what I've seen on Nairaland and in real life, most of the people who comment on Igbos being light skinned are not Igbo. The only reason some Igbos comment on it is because they've seen non-Igbos commenting on it before. Seeing light skinned people is normal for us.
Listen, i dont expect you to bite the hand that feeds you, so i expect this comment from you. but most of us who are not igbo know igbo chestbeat all the time about being lightskin lolzzz

4 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by yomz1e(m): 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
I love history of early Nigeria and its inhabitants, please where can i find more online... this Nairaland is joke i swear... bare lafta all day! this tribal thing is so much jokes, shame some people take it seriously that it spoils their whole day.

if you all want confirm history from experts, watch Hidden colors part 1 - 3
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by DemonInSiege: 12:23pm On Aug 12, 2016
funmijoyb:
That's why d yorubas of d oyo empire gave them d name IGBO which translated to bush people.
Hope you know the so called Oyo empire is now Fulani empire
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 12:23pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

That's a cool picture but you still don't provide the evidence that shows the date of when these pictures were taken. See this picture, for example, is of an Igbo masquerade and was included in G.T. Basden's book about the Igbos. The book was published in the 1930's so we can deduce that it was taken at this period of time.

so in 1930s when yoruba was all over the world doing big thangs and taking over africa business wise with the likes of the okoya dynasty etc, this is what your people were doing ? walahi talahi ndigbo you received civilization very late

shocked

5 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Lilibeth914(f): 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2016
[quote author=Shym3xx post=48414664]These primitive people are Biafran. Being in the same country with is the primary reason why Yorubas are now backwards. They just took us 500 years backward.

Someone give these people their own country in savagery. Civilisation eluded them and they need 500 years to catch up.[/ETHNOCENTRISM AT ITS PEAK. MEHN I AM DISAPPOINTED IN YOU, SO THE YORUBAS ARE BETTER THAN THE ZULUS WHO DRESS UNCLAD TOO RIGHT? DID THE IGBOS APPOINT GOVERNORS FOR YORUBAS OR STOPPED YOU FROM DEVELOPING. YOU HATE THE IGBOS YET YOU FIGHT AGAINST THEIR SECESSION. YOU TREAT A TRIBE LIKE SHIT AND U SHOUT ONE NIGERIA, AND AT SAME TIME BLAME THEM FOR ANY MISFORTUNE. I KNOW YOU ENJOY INSULTING THE IGBOS, BUT STILL DOES IT PUT MONEY IN UR ACCOUNT OR GIVE U ORGASM? NO. GROW UP PLS

AS FOR SEUN THE OWNER OF NAIRALAND, YOU HAVE LOST MY RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FOR NOT CURTAILING THIS TRIBALISM ON UR SITE. MONEY AND TRAFFIC CANT RETAIN A GOOD NAME. IF YOU WERE TRULY A DETRIBALIZED NIGERIAN U WOULD BAN ANY BIGOT]

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
yoruba women in 1920s. 1928 to be exact

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2022119_15338174637970703929532107524033n_jpeg798897f4566fa6573ec4759d7c6e3d51

Photos of white women in 1928:

Yoruba photography was even far more advanced than those of Oyibos then? Sophistication....

Nah real wah!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by funmijoyb(f): 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
DemonInSiege:
Hope you know the so called Oyo empire is now Fulani empire
No Biafra is now ijaw' s empire
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by yomz1e(m): 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
Hello Bae, lightened up on this tribal thing, everyone comes here to poke harmless dig at each other, if you dont like it, then quit nairaland. simples!

The reason why Seun has not curtailed this is because its a forum where you express your view! as long as no one is threatening to kill, blow or disembowel anyone else because of their race, tribe, sex or religion..its harmless fun. So lightened up ... these are some of the qualities they ask for in a job interview ...whether you have a sense of humor

[quote author=Lilibeth914 post=48416348][/quote]
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by scholes0(m): 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
LOL...
What is this? shocked shocked
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 12, 2016

These Yoruba women must have been living in the 1500s when even Oyibos were burning witches.

Sophisticated photos!
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by panditocracy(m): 12:38pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
Listen, i dont expect you to bite the hand that feeds you, so i expect this comment from you. but most of us who are not igbo know igbo chestbeat all the time about being lightskin lolzzz

You shd go and die if you are jealous about it.
You say our women were ravished that's why we are lightskinned. Then what about the iboe landing?
A white documented that Igbos of the biafra region were yellow, red and dark-skinned people. That was before any colonization was done.
AND MIND YOU THERE'S AN ANCIENT TRADITION OF THE IGBO PEOPLE (WHICH WAS LATER ABOLISHED AFTER THE COMING OF THE WHITE) THAT ALLOWED THE CHIEF PRIEST OF AMADIOHA TO TAKE ANY FAIR SKINNED GIRL AND OFFER HER TO AMADIOHA(BUT ACTUALLY, THOSE GIRLS WERE TAKEN IN BY THE CHIEF PRIEST), WHILE THE MALE ONES WHO WERE FAIR WERE REGARDED AS WEAKLINGS. This was before any form of colonization.

So what of you people, weren't your mother's ravished? But still they gave birth to black monkeys like you today. grin

4 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
TheNewIbadan:

Every Ibo town. Oyo state has more businesses and investors than your towns.
From the airport, we know it's not true. If important people really ebter there, that airport would have improved.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by funmijoyb(f): 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
uckennety:
If these are really ibos then am very proud to be an ibo boi
like when u see ur brothers in Indonesia being executed on drug charges? lyk chinyere and nneka are migrating frm ur region for prostitution & establishing baby factories everywhere and selling young future igbo kids at abt 80000 to 500000 per ibo boy? lyk chukwudi is selling used cloths and substandard products while d rest of them are begging for alms?
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 12, 2016

Lagosian Yoruba circa 2000BC, when the even the British were cannibals living in caves!!!!
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by baby124: 12:48pm On Aug 12, 2016
Nahwao:

These Yoruba women must have been living in the 1500s when even Oyibos were burning witches.

Sophisticated photos!
This looks like 1800's sef and they are still not naked. You think our Aso Oke is a recent invention and other textiles we use? Yoruba women have been weaving their own cloth for centuries. See they are wearing gele and even styled the wrapper which the skirt of that wrapper is actually in vogue now.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Funny Pidgin Proverbs / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.