Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,110 members, 7,807,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary (43057 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Stanbeto: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2016
Seen
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Patented: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2016
"Don't" not Doesn't
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by musicwriter(m): 7:28am On Aug 12, 2016
yutsuf:
Installmentally
This doesn’t exist anywhere else except only in Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search “Installmentally” on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

Night-Vigil
This is another one I don’t understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean “cunning”. How is that for a giant leap forward?

Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn’t exist.

Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European custom of watching over a corpse till it’s buried (called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as “wake keep” or even “wake keeping”.

There's nothing wrong with that. Language grows as more and more people speak it. And for your information, that's how English language itself became a language- by mispelling and mispronouncing other languages like; Spanish, Latin, French, German, e.t.c.

This's why we have to pay more attention to our native languages in schools and society, because in the long run we are doing English a favour by helping propagate it at the expense of our various native languages.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, its under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by xreal: 7:29am On Aug 12, 2016
At least we have been using such words to communicate perfectly well amongst ourselves; it's left for whoever may be of concern to add such words into the dictionary or leave us alone.

... eeehm Adamu! Adamuuuu!!, don't wash the Baby Boy , I am going with the Muscle today.

As long as Adamu understands all what I was referring to. Shikenah!
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by wildchild1: 7:34am On Aug 12, 2016
Naija for show grin

2016/2017 Jerseys available, order now
https://www.nairaland.com/3204752/2016-2017-jerseys-available-affordable
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by lasisi69(f): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2016
By
Sweetcollins:
Check Igbo dictionary too

Engli-Igbo makeri nnukwu sense (IGbotic mixture)
Just legodi:
1-->SENDiaram airtime
2-->HELPutum juo ya
3-->SITigodi down
4-->STANDigodi up
5-->SHIFTuoro m
6-->Ha eCLOSEzula the shop
7-->I na eDISTURB m biko or eDISTURBzilam biko
8-->CHECKie m in next five minutes
9-->I REACHie gi agwam
10-->Achorom I ENTERgodi bike
11-->Ihe I na eSPEAKi sef
12-->akam na eTHINKi ya
13-->A dim BUSY kita, a gam aCALLugi back
14-->after anyi eDISCUSSuo ya
15-->eGIVEkwana up
16-->TAKEie time gi
17-->chere kam PARKia motor m
18-->achorom iga WATCHia match
19-->SETTLuom biko
20-->STARTia the gen
ADDia your own
Lolz
lol... Nwa aba

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Jobabori(m): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2016
What of " Yam - pepper scattered - scattered" (Isu - a - ta - yan - an - yan - an)
which recently appeared in English dictionary but is gradually disappearing among the Yoruba speakers.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by uzolexis(f): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2016
yutsuf:
Installmentally
This doesn’t exist anywhere else except only in Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search “Installmentally” on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

Night-Vigil
This is another one I don’t understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean “cunning”. How is that for a giant leap forward?

Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn’t exist.

Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European custom of watching over a corpse till it’s buried (called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as “wake keep” or even “wake keeping”.

It's time we had "Nigerian English" and "Nigerian English dictionary"

1 Like

Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by donhils: 7:37am On Aug 12, 2016
Since we are now pointing out gbagauns, op it should be 5 words that "do not" exist in the dictionary and not "doesn't".
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by dukeprince50: 7:39am On Aug 12, 2016
we know all these already.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by noble71(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2016
Nice OP.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by oglalasioux(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2016
yutsuf:
Installmentally

Night-Vigil

Cunny

Disvirgin

Wake Keeping (Wake keep)

Languages evolve. Is the English spoken today same with the English spoken during the days of William Shakespeare?

The last time I checked there's a spoken version and a written version of the English language. That's even why there's something called poetic license.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by columbus007(m): 7:41am On Aug 12, 2016
[quote author=Dilidee post=48407157]So instead of 'wake keep' what should b used.[/quote, its now keep wake my guy,for naija dis is change.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by columbus007(m): 7:42am On Aug 12, 2016
Dilidee:
So instead of 'wake keep' what should b used.
it's now keep wake my guy grin for naija this is called change.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Keenlooka(m): 7:47am On Aug 12, 2016
Oche211:
These are what makes us Nigerians biko.
You would rather fight the change... I beg learn joor grin
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by greatbrian(m): 7:51am On Aug 12, 2016
Nigerians are very good in innovating words. Wailing wailers, yam eaters, omo una, 5percent, and many more hilarious persuation
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Emytexboy(m): 7:51am On Aug 12, 2016
yutsuf:
Installmentally

Night-Vigil

Cunny

Disvirgin

Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
You lie disvirgin is in dictionary
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Keenlooka(m): 7:51am On Aug 12, 2016
oglalasioux:

Languages evolve. Is the English spoken today same with the English spoken during the days of William Shakespeare?

The last time I checked there's a spoken version and a written version of the English language. That's even why there's something called poetic license.

Wetin dey wrong dey wrong I beg. undecided
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Emytexboy(m): 7:52am On Aug 12, 2016
verb (disvirgins, disvirgining; past and past participle disvirgined)
To take away the virginity of a person
2013, Gideon C. Mekwunye, Tear Drops, ISBN 9781466971516, "The Hotel" section, page 325 :
He picked up the bottle and read the label to examine the percentage of alcohol contained and grunts to himself; 'Um! Am fixing to do to you what men do to women; and that is dis-virgin them.'
To open

This text is extracted from the Wiktionary and it is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by Ifebazz(m): 7:54am On Aug 12, 2016
Skryptchex:
So, what is wrong If Nigerians start saying there own english??
Nothing, only thing is we produce dumber youths that come on air to embarrass the whole nation. If you can't speak English stick to your native language, nobody will beat you. But if English is the official language of your country then it is essential you know it to a logic extent (SSCE/WAEC). Instead most of you come here writing "am going", "is it there own?", etc.
I still repeat, if anyone wrote his/her SSCE/WAEC alone and obtain a C minimum, most common errors in written and spoken English will not be in him/her.
I don't know what some smartarse guys will be defending mediocrity for yet expect Arsenal to win the league every year.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by scholes0(m): 7:59am On Aug 12, 2016
Sweetcollins:
Check Igbo dictionary too

Engli-Igbo makeri nnukwu sense (IGbotic mixture)
Just legodi:
1-->SENDiaram airtime
2-->HELPutum juo ya
3-->SITigodi down
4-->STANDigodi up
5-->SHIFTuoro m
6-->Ha eCLOSEzula the shop
7-->I na eDISTURB m biko or eDISTURBzilam biko
8-->CHECKie m in next five minutes
9-->I REACHie gi agwam
10-->Achorom I ENTERgodi bike
11-->Ihe I na eSPEAKi sef
12-->akam na eTHINKi ya
13-->A dim BUSY kita, a gam aCALLugi back
14-->after anyi eDISCUSSuo ya
15-->eGIVEkwana up
16-->TAKEie time gi
17-->chere kam PARKia motor m
18-->achorom iga WATCHia match
19-->SETTLuom biko
20-->STARTia the gen
ADDia your own
Lolz

This is not a good development at all.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by collinsVP: 8:05am On Aug 12, 2016
tdayof:
Night vigil isnt a word used by Nigerians alone.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:05am On Aug 12, 2016
Mightiness and greediness.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by tosyne2much(m): 8:07am On Aug 12, 2016
Godswillnwaoma:
You forgot to add motorable.

Sentence: Owerri-port Harcourt road is now motorable. Meaning the road is now in good condition.

You forgot to add boys-quarter.

Sentence: The man live in boys-quarter.

You forgot to add jambite.

Sentence: My younger sister is now a jambite. Meaning, she has applied for jamb examination.

And many more.
Nigeria is really a great country but our leaders no agree make we enjoy am.
Hehehe cheesy cheesy
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:07am On Aug 12, 2016
Patented:
"Don't" not Doesn't
"Doesn't" is right. It's the short form of does not.
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by SafeAlhaji(m): 8:13am On Aug 12, 2016
UmmKhalifah:
Nigerians
yes oo...miss USA
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by annnikky(f): 8:14am On Aug 12, 2016
Can't naija coin their own words? Must we follow d western world all d time

Even in that western world there are some words they use that is not all in the dictionary so any con3 is allowed/entitled to coin their own words maybe in later years to come oxford might update their dictionary n add those words cool cheesy cheesy

Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by 99foxxy(f): 8:14am On Aug 12, 2016
Good one...
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by SafeAlhaji(m): 8:16am On Aug 12, 2016
Skryptchex:
So, what is wrong If Nigerians start saying there own english??
Abio brother mi, afterall we are independent already and we should be independent in english too
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by SafeAlhaji(m): 8:17am On Aug 12, 2016
hakunajay:
Yeah that's Nigerian English. It mustn't be found in the dictionary, Nigerians do not write the dictionary. You'll find it in Nigerian dictionary... grin
yes our prof are trying...
Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by demsid(m): 8:22am On Aug 12, 2016
koolguy88:
go-slow is another Nigeria word used instead of high traffic or traffic jam grin

Naija is very interesting
for ur information, there is difference btw go slow and traffic jam in lagos. If d road block patapata no movement that's wen we call it traffic jam or hold up. Wen e still Dey move small small na go slow

1 Like

Re: 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary by watchindelta(m): 8:22am On Aug 12, 2016
ShySteady:
https://www.nairaland.com/3251033/5-words-nigerians-use-actually

This first appeared on Nairaland on 25th July 2016, but because the author is not a Muslim-Fulani, or a member of APC, it didn't hit front page.

Una well done o!

Compare it with this one where a similar thread was closed because someone first posted it on Nairaland:

https://www.nairaland.com/3097734/how-former-governor-joshua-dariye
na so dem dey do here racist! but still dey wonder me common forum na dem dey look face first b4 ur thread hit front page or even look am. Nigerian na Nigeria weda politician or not!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2020 UTME: JAMB Top 10 Candidates Revealed / Rain Destroys Mast At The University Of Ibadan (Photos) / 500Level University Of Jos Student Dies - Jtownconnect Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.