Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,734 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk (49055 Views)

Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK / 2017 NDDC Foreign Msc And PhD Scholarship / Apply For 2016 AGIP Oil And Gas Msc Foreign And Local Scholarship For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 08, 2016
khattab008:

Not really, will try to the start the application process this weekend hopefully.

Are you through?
I think I told you I am not applying. If this year's process is fair I will apply next year
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2016
Pushas:
I think I told you I am not applying. If this year's process is fair I will apply next year

Yeah, thought you later changed your mind.

Will try to update the thread with regards to my application.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2016
khattab008:

Yeah, thought you later changed your mind.

Will try to update the thread with regards to my application.
Cool. Just make sure you don't rely too much on merit
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by EleojoA: 6:10pm On Oct 30, 2016
My experience with the 2015 commonwealth application

I completed my application and attended the commonwealth scholarship nomination interview (as required) at the FSB sometime in December 2015. I later received the unfortunate news of my failure at the nomination interview; however, I got another foreign sponsorship for thesame programme, so I'm now happily studying at my choice university (and programme) in the UK.

Recently, I met a second time (i.e. PhD) commonwealth scholarship beneficiary, who hesitantly hinted me about some of the backyard/underground runs that happens with the nomination by the FSB, Abuja. In fact, I am not sure that the fellow I spoke with attended that 2015 commonwealth scholarship FSB nomination interview, yet he was nominated and eventually awarded the scholarship for the second time. Though he is very qualified for the scholarship, I gathered that he also has some strong connections in government that influences his initial nominations by the FSB.

The big issue is that in Nigeria, there are far many overqualified/over-competent candidates than can be accommodated by the commonwealth scholarship scheme, so in addition to being overly qualified for the scholarship, you also need to have some connections or do some lobbying to get nominated in the first place. Only after your successful nomination can you be considered by the international CSC for the award. Though I do not encourage this, one way is to lobby the FSB bosses maybe by promising them handsome returns from the scholarship monthly stipends if they successfully ensure your nomination for the scholarship.

What I am trying to say in essence is that in Nigeria, being overly qualified and meeting all the requirements for the Commonwealth Scholarship award does not guarantee that you will be successful at the nomination stage. You have to do something extra in order to be successfully nominated. It is now up to you to figure out how to go about that.

This should in no way discourage (potential) applicants anyway, as miracles do happen and sometimes there are exceptions to every trend. It is just that in this case, the odds are already against whoever cannot influence his/her FSB nomination either physically or spiritually (i.e. prayerfully).

Best wishes with all your commonwealth scholarship applications

5 Likes

Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 6:30am On Oct 31, 2016
EleojoA:

I completed my application and attended the commonwealth scholarship nomination interview (as required) at the FSB sometime in December 2015. I later received the unfortunate news of my failure at the nomination interview; however, I got another foreign sponsorship for thesame programme, so I'm now happily studying at my choice university (and programme) in the UK.

Recently, I met a second time (i.e. PhD) commonwealth scholarship beneficiary, who hesitantly hinted me about some of the backyard/underground runs that happens with the nomination by the FSB, Abuja. In fact, I am not sure that the fellow I spoke with attended that 2015 commonwealth scholarship FSB nomination interview, yet he was nominated and eventually awarded the scholarship for the second time. Though he is very qualified for the scholarship, I gathered that he also has some strong connections in government that influences his initial nominations by the FSB.

The big issue is that in Nigeria, there are far many overqualified/over-competent candidates than can be accommodated by the commonwealth scholarship scheme, so in addition to being overly qualified for the scholarship, you also need to have some connections or do some lobbying to get nominated in the first place. Only after your successful nomination can you be considered by the international CSC for the award. Though I do not encourage this, one way is to lobby the FSB bosses maybe by promising them handsome returns from the scholarship monthly stipends if they successfully ensure your nomination for the scholarship.

What I am trying to say in essence is that in Nigeria, being overly qualified and meeting all the requirements for the Commonwealth Scholarship award does not guarantee that you will be successful at the nomination stage. You have to do something extra in order to be successfully nominated. It is now up to you to figure out how to go about that.

This should in no way discourage (potential) applicants anyway, as miracles do happen and sometimes there are exceptions to every trend. It is just that in this case, the odds are already against whoever cannot influence his/her FSB nomination either physically or spiritually (i.e. prayerfully).

I really appreciate your comment, esp as it concerns the nominating agency issue.

Am almost through with my application but I still have some questions:

Must the referees be senior lecturers like Dr.s and Prof.s?
Cos all my referees are not senior lecturers

Is it compulsory to have admission with schools before listing them in one's application?

Guess you eventually you got in through the commonwealth shared scholarship.

Thanks.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by EleojoA: 12:01pm On Oct 31, 2016
khattab008:

I really appreciate your comment, esp as it concerns the nominating agency issue.

Am almost through with my application but I still have some questions:

Must the referees be senior lecturers like Dr.s and Prof.s?
Cos all my referees are not senior lecturers

Is it compulsory to have admission with schools before listing them in one's application?

Guess you eventually you got in through the commonwealth shared scholarship.

Thanks.

The profile and relevance of your referees to your applications is very important especially at the international CSC selection stage; hence you should not just 'drop names' of referees. They should be senior people that are familiar with your academic/professional records. Yes, list only those Universities that you already have unconditional admission offers from, this is very important as well. The UK university I applied to has some scholarships for international students, one of which I was awarded.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 31, 2016
EleojoA:

The profile and relevance of your referees to your applications is very important especially at the international CSC selection stage; hence you should not just 'drop names' of referees. They should be senior people that are familiar with your academic/professional records. Yes, list only those Universities that you already have unconditional admission offers from, this is very important as well. The UK university I applied to has some scholarships for international students, one of which I was awarded.
Nice info. Please which UK school offered you a scholarship. Was the scholarship a full one or just tuition waiver? Thanks.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 7:19pm On Oct 31, 2016
EleojoA:

Thanks, I really appreciate.

Oga Pushas I hail o.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
khattab008:

Thanks, I really appreciate.

Oga Pushas I hail o.
My chairman, How U dey? Hope you are almost done with your applications.
I pray you win this scholarship!
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 6:33am On Nov 01, 2016
Pushas:
My chairman, How U dey? Hope you are almost done with your applications.
I pray you win this scholarship!

Am good.

Yes, almost through with the application, should be done before the end of the week.

Thanks and happy new month.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 01, 2016
khattab008:

Am good.

Yes, almost through with the application, should be done before the end of the week.

Thanks and happy new month.
Same to you! Currently preparing for the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by EdoBoy90(m): 8:15am On Nov 01, 2016
ECOWAS scholarship
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 9:47am On Nov 01, 2016
Pushas:

Read somewhere that it will be opening this month, planning to apply for that one also.

All the best.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2016
Pushas:

Read somewhere that it will be opening this month, planning to apply for that one also.

All the best.

Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 01, 2016
khattab008:

All the best.
Yeah! 17 November to be precise. Thanks
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by khattab008: 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2016
Pushas:
Yeah! 17 November to be precise. Thanks

Will be on the lookout for it, thanks.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by dayjeee(m): 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2016
Please is the commonwealth shared scholarship diff from the commonwealth scholarship?
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by s3nn2x(m): 6:08am On Nov 02, 2016
dayjeee:
Please is the commonwealth shared scholarship diff from the commonwealth scholarship?
Yes.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by dayjeee(m): 7:19am On Nov 02, 2016
s3nn2x:
Yes.
thanks bro
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Aim07(f): 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2016
pls someone should help me to shared d link to use for applying. I entered through fsb website, clicked d apply link for Commonwealth scholarship but what I saw dia website is apply through nominating agency in one's country. Pls help a sis on how I can apply. thanks
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by s3nn2x(m): 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2016
Aim07:
pls someone should help me to shared d link to use for applying. I entered through fsb website, clicked d apply link for Commonwealth scholarship but what I saw dia website is apply through nominating agency in one's country. Pls help a sis on how I can apply. thanks

Not FSB but Commonwealth Website http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by toocoded: 4:58pm On Nov 05, 2016
musicwriter:

Yes, and its popularly called ''brain drain''. I was simply explaining how it works as nothing is being said in the media about how it actually works.

There's an ongoing clandestine western policy to take the best brains out of third world countries, and it have been going on for many years. Just take a trip to their embassies and you'll see that only those Africans with potentials get the longest visa duration.

That's why you have more qualified Nigerian doctors in the US alone than the entire African continent!. And its like that in so many other professions that Africa actually need to develop. Our best brains are systematically being stolen, thereby constantly depleting us of the same professionals we actually need here in Africa to develop. When you understand these things, you'll understand the world's system of things is set up to perpetually keep us dependent and education is the latest vehicle.

If you stop a moment and think about it, you'll discover the current brainwashing model of education we inherited from Britain is part of slavery!. What we need is re-invent education in Africa and create our own version of education and study on our own terms. Only then shall we be free!. I've been saying this for years, but it seems my people are too blind to understand.

Again, don't expect a chain on your neck or hands in the slavery of the 21st century. The chain would be on our minds.
Mmttsshheew! If ur country no pay you, is it not berra to go elsewhere where things work? Abeg, lets do the BRAIN DRAIN thing jawe. The intellectuals wey dey for here, wetin una don do for them
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by toocoded: 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2016
dallygoodfellow:
I agree with the brain drain and brain waste saga both of u are right in ur own pespectives but brain waste issue cannot be possible if we do resist them unanimously during elections so we still play dirty roles in make them corrupt leaders so we are conciously or unconciously architects of our problems
its better to take the brain drain option because we all are serious first class slaves in our own country check out attributes of slavery(restricted freedom of speech,work without salary,no social secruity,still pay taxes and still die at stampede looking for job)and see
whether u are not a slave in NIGERIA
Infact, the Lord would bless you for me......oya say AMEN. grin
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Aim07(f): 11:43am On Nov 09, 2016
Pls come to aid again o, I am contacted some of my intending supervisor in my uni choice so that they can consent that I use their contact but none of them has replied. Infact , few universitie out d listed ones are offering Analytical Chemistry at PhD level.

I am applying for PhD Analytical Chemistry, pls is there anybody applying for PhD too? how did u go about it? help a sis o
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nafizzey(m): 1:46pm On Nov 09, 2016
EleojoA:

For Msc scholarship award, what are all the documents I need at my disposal to apply for the program?, Thank you
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by BusinessAnalyst: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2016
Aim07:
Pls come to aid again o, I am contacted some of my intending supervisor in my uni choice so that they can consent that I use their contact but none of them has replied. Infact , few universitie out d listed ones are offering Analytical Chemistry at PhD level.

I am applying for PhD Analytical Chemistry, pls is there anybody applying for PhD too? how did u go about it? help a sis o
I'm also for PhD. What help do you need specifically?
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Aim07(f): 6:09pm On Nov 09, 2016
BusinessAnalyst:
I'm also for PhD. What help do you need specifically?
Thanks for responding, those supervisors that I contacted have not replied my email. As such, I don't think I can use their contact on d form where I will fill my uni of choice and intending supervisors. Because it is stated that one must contact them first before using their contact.

Closing date is 15th of dis month, can submit the form without filling d space for supervisors contact? What do you advise I should do. Thanks
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by BusinessAnalyst: 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2016
Aim07:

Thanks for responding, those supervisors that I contacted have not replied my email. As such, I don't think I can use their contact on d form where I will fill my uni of choice and intending supervisors. Because it is stated that one must contact them first before using their contact.

Closing date is 15th of dis month, can submit the form without filling d space for supervisors contact? What do you advise I should do. Thanks
Please note that the intending supervisors being referred to are the ones from your chosen UK universities and it's a must you provide 3 potential supervisors of which at least one of them must provide a supporting statement for your application. You only need your past lecturers in Nigeria to reference your application. If you are having difficulties with the lecturers here, you can still submit your application as this won't affect your application at this stage. But they must have provided reference for your application before the interview session which may be later this month. I hope this helps.
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Jefa4real: 6:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
When will Fsb invite for interview o
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2016
musicwriter:
Before you all jump into this seemingly harmless opportunity, check on my previous warnings to fellow Africans since last year about a clandestine UK policy to re-invent slavery in former British colonies.

As Britain plan to exit the European Union, their only hope of survival is to re-invent slavery in third world countries. This they plan to achieve in various long term schemes, including by baiting you with scholarship offers, and other incentives of which the ultimate goal is to control your mind, to de-Africanize you, to control your intellect, to make you an educated fool.

The slavery of the 21st century would be different, so don't expect a chain on your neck. Don't expect a chain on your hands. The chain would be on your mind and the vehicle is education.

Education is the biggest tool of mind control. That's why Adolf Hitler said ''let me control the textbooks and I'll control the mind of the nation''.

By the way, the commomwealth of nations was originally called ''the British Commonwealth'' it was only renamed in the 1940's, and the purpose is to conceal the true meaning to enhance their deceit to fool you the more. Be informed, the commonwealth is a remnant colonial institution comprising members of all nations enslaved by Britain. Therefore, the commonwealth clearly isn't there for your interest, but for the interest of Britain. Believe it or not, by applying for this scholarship you acknowledge you are a slave!. Yes, I prefer to tell you the whole truth.

Note: I' am not saying you shouldn't apply, but I want you have these things at the back of your mind, because they fooled our ancestors before- a cordial trade in gold and cash crops gradually turned to slavery. Always have it at the back of your mind that the people you're dealing with are the descendants of the same people that enslaved your forefathers, and they still somehow consider you a slave.

Be warned!.

I don't even know what to tell you. SMH.. .
Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2016
What's happening to this thread?
It's 2 days to the close of applications and the thread is scanty.
Last year, by this time, it was over 40 pages. Why the decline in application this year.?.

Last year interview was marred with scandal and controversy.

As I type this, I am not even motivated to apply again.

Can we ever get things right in this country?

Transparency and honesty where art thou?.

1 Like

Re: Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk by Jefa4real: 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2016
Watch out for late November, latest early December

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NLNG Experienced Hire Result Is Out!! / Lafarge Africa Graduate Trainee Programme 2021 – Full Time / Vacancy For Administrative Assistant At US Embassy, Nigeria (₦2,111,000 Monthly)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.